Home
Posted By: selmer 2 MOA adjustment Leupold? - 08/16/10
I have a stainless satin finish Leupold 3-9x40 Vari-x IIc on my .30-06. I haven't had it long, bought it used here at the fire. Good optics, but I was adjusting it today and noticed the dial under the cap said "2 MOA". So, I trusted that to be 2 MOA adjustment per mark at 100 yds. It was and it adjusted very well. However, I'm just wondering why it's not 1/4 MOA adjustments? I've never seen a scope that wasn't 1/4 MOA or 1/8 MOA adjustment. What's up with that?
Posted By: Calvin Re: 2 MOA adjustment Leupold? - 08/16/10
Are you sure it's not just marking the #2 moa hash mark?
Posted By: selmer Re: 2 MOA adjustment Leupold? - 08/16/10
No, I'm not sure! smile Let me run over to the man cave....
It's rather confusing the way they have it set up.. But you should see a hash mark for 1 moa.. a smaller mark for 1.5 moa, and then the "2" is next to the next bigger hash mark.

Okay, dumbass attack. It's marking the "2" hashmark. So what does the "MOA" mean on the adjustment? These are embarassing questions for a guy that's been loading and playing with guns for over 20 years...
So, indicated by the hashmarks, this would be a 1/2 MOA adjustment scope then, right? Because it's 2 ||| 4, indicating that each graduation would be 1/2 MOA? Please let this not be an extension of the dumbass attack...
Friction adjustment, correct? It's any damn thing you want it to be.
Each hash represents 1/2MOA
haha! Yeah, the friction adjustments aren't the greatest thing in the world.

It's supposed to be .5 moa per hash.
Yep, friction adjustment. Nice comment Steelhead, that's the way I adjust my M8-6x Leupold on my .260 Rem. I can't figure out what the graduations actually mean, so unfortunately it's a trial and error guessing game. At least the reticles move every time...but I know I can't move them much at 100 yds, it change the POI quite a bit! I've been spoiled with click adjustment 1/4 or 1/8 MOA scopes for quite a while, I've never had a Leupold Vari-x IIc or M8 fixed before, and I'm just trying to figure them out for something repeatable at the range. It makes my 6.5-20x44 Nikon look like the cat's azz...I can shoot around the box with that thing on my .308 Win. at 200 yds and not even think twice about the proper adjustment! Same with the 6.5-20x44 Cabela's Alaskan Guide on my 6PPC Encore rifle barrel.
How about on the M8 6x Leupolds? Are they 1 MOA then? Because the graduation marking system is different...
Point being you ain't confined to set number of MOA per click as there ain't any click. You can move it 1/32 MOA if desired, though repeating is tough.

Just checked and my m8 6x42 is set up the same way your scope is.
Okay, I'll roll with it then. The nice thing that once it's sighted in, I've NEVER had a Leupold move on me, but that's primarily experience with Leupold handgun scopes. I had one sighted in on my .454 Casull Encore pistol barrel for six years, never had to touch the dial after I sighted it in with the 320 gr. cast load at 1700 fps - that's some recoil abuse to stand up to! I figured what's good for my pistols MUST be good for my rifles, right?
© 24hourcampfire