Home
Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x40mm CDS

I'm thinking hard about this scope and using it on my Rem 700 Classic 270W/130gr...this CDS system sounds great smile

Before I seal the deal...

Anything else out there compares for the price?

I don't think so. I just bought one and really like it. I was going to buy a conquest but by the time I sent it back to have a turret put on it was cheaper to buy the Leupold and get the two free custom dials.

Dink
Thanks Dink...I hear ya laugh
Count me as a fan. I've only had mine a few weeks, but I did dial up my bull at 468 yards. The custom turret did it's job and i poked holes exactly where I was holding. Same-same for a decent buck a couple of weeks ago at shorter distance.

Dave
Thanks Dave...I'll be putting in an order real soon grin
Must say I removed a 50mm scope off a 270 my son inherited, put a 3-9x40 Conquest, and it's SHARP, yet I am liking the CDS and the 3-10 would sure fit that LA well, so I may move it over and put a 2-8 CDS on the SA where my CDS sits now. Have to do a custom shop order I suppose, heck, a FXII 6x36 CDS/M1 might be the ticket for it, who knows. That CDS would be simple for even a beginner/novice to use, so long as they know how far the shot is, before spinning.

Have held off ordering my custom knobs before settling what rifle/load, though I think MOST top end 260/270/7/08 loads running 130/140/140 respectively are going to be running real close.

For My hunting, on deer, I feel a 3-10 CDS offers more than a 4-14 as I'd have to have the SF - so that would be a custom order, and that's one more thing to worry with, as I do not care for the non - ao models, inc. the CDS. 10x shows as many wobbles as I care to see in the field wink

LB,
I have used one of these scopes for a couple of years with great satisfaction.
Have CDS turrets on several rifles for both p-dogs and game and think they are great. They work as advertised. And are true values at their cost from the Leupold Custom Shop.

Perfect for game rifles within the distances and conditions where I feel confident to take a shot.

Can't imagine a better rig for mid-caliber game rifles than the 3-10X40 CDS.

I also use the combination of the B&C reticle and Custom turrets on a couple of 30-06's.

i plan on getting one, how quick do they get the dials back to you?
That's a good scope (3.5-10) and a good setup (CDS).

With that said a $400 3-9 Conquest and 5 minutes with an exacto knife and Sharpie matches the functionality.

I've come to really dislike how much the eye relief shortens on Leups at higher powers. It creates the need for a significant compromise of some sort. But that's just me.
i find that when high power is needed, usally you have a few more seconds to make the shot (and have time to account for changes in head position), when im hunting thick stuff, its on 4x and I like long, non-critical, quick acquisition eye-relief....

conquests are awesome, owned some as well and prefer the z-plex ot the duplex...
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

With that said a $400 3-9 Conquest and 5 minutes with an exacto knife and Sharpie matches the functionality.

Having a hard time imagining what that looks like.

You got a picture?
Just can't imagine a sticker being as good as a genuine turret.
how do you cut the turret up for multiple loads?
If you're talking to me a moa turret has endless load posibilities.
But that's just me.

Yes, it is. grin
Sako, got off the ph w/Leupold a few days back, said 2 weeks approx.
Originally Posted by 65BR
Sako, got off the ph w/Leupold a few days back, said 2 weeks approx.
THX!
Originally Posted by SAKO75
i find that when high power is needed, usally you have a few more seconds to make the shot (and have time to account for changes in head position), when im hunting thick stuff, its on 4x and I like long, non-critical, quick acquisition eye-relief....

conquests are awesome, owned some as well and prefer the z-plex ot the duplex...

Yeah, I'll agree with that. A shot requiring full power leaves time, probably, for head position adjustments. Though it is nice to not need to do that. It's not a big deal but- when I haven't shot a Leup for a while, I'm always (unpleasantly) surprised by how dramatically it pulls away as you crank it up.
Originally Posted by oldslowdog
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

Having a hard time imagining what that looks like.

You got a picture?

Hope this suffices. Y'know, I want to be clear here... this matches the functionality of the CDS, and works great, and costs nothing, and changing loads also costs nothing, etc.

But it's the kind of thing only a frugal do-it-yourselfer will appreciate. The CDS is a much slicker setup cosmetically.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by LateBloomer
Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x40mm CDS

I'm thinking hard about this scope and using it on my Rem 700 Classic 270W/130gr...this CDS system sounds great smile

Before I seal the deal...

Anything else out there compares for the price?

I just bought that exact scope this evening for 499.99 tax free at my local Sportsmans Warehouse. I couldn't find a better deal on the net.

Now to decide on the the two loads for the free dials. grin
Very nice!

I like your custom dial. I too have converted from Leupold to Zeiss on several guns because of the clearer image. I thought about doing something like your dial - so I have a few questions....

So you hunt with the scope cap off, right?

You do loose the "zero" stop feature that is found on the CDS. Any problems with your dial " walking" around as you hunt?

Also I sent my old Vari-x III 3.5-10 in to Leupold three weeks ago for a CDS conversion. It was only $149, so that's an option if you an older scope around. Besides I like the glass better in my old scope than the new VX-3's anyway. It's still not back yet.

Also those dials are pretty sensitive to any variable, so I think its unrealistic to think that they will work well for a range of bullets or velocities. I ended up with two dials - just to cover changes in elevation! And that's keeping the exact same load. At least if you are trying to get the max range out of your gun. Leupold is very helpful with the dial setup, but it would pay to spend an hour or so with a good ballistic program just to see how much small changes on load or atmospheric conditions affect your trajectory, before you pick up the phone.

Another potential shortcoming of the CDS system is that you can't reset the zero point because the zero stop is pinned. This is also an advantage, as you can blindly always crank back to zero. Where it hurts, and where the homemade Zeiss system shines is that you can re-zero your dial if you change elevations let's say from 3000 to 9000 ft, just by shooting the gun at the new elevation and re-setting the dial to match the point of impact. With the CDS system you need a new dial for that much elevation change.
Been looking at these myself. Spent some time on a ballistic calculator and came to some decisions.

First I have a couple of rifles that shoot bullets close enough in velocity and ballistic coefficient that I could swap the scope if I so desired, so one dial will work with two guns.

Secondly I found that if I choose an elevation that is in the middle, for example 4000 ft, the change out at 600 yards is only 2 inches at either end of the altitude scale that I would normally hunt at. About 1300 ft and 9000 ft. Two inches at 600 yards is nothing.

I am still of the opinion that closer is better. I have yet to take a big game animal past 340 yards, lasered. I always felt 400-450 was as far as I cared to shoot a big game animal anyway, but with the laser range finders and some of this new technology I may adjust that out to perhaps 600 yards IF my range results would justify such a shot. Still have the wind to deal with and that is a whole nutha issue!
I am in total agreement on your "reasonable ranges" and the narrow error band you get if you stay less than 500 yds. I am not ready to load fragile bullets just so I can make a point to shoot stuff at long range. To me closer is better.

I am trying to see if I can get 700 yds out of my '06. Not because I want to shoot game that far, but that is where I figure my TTSX runs out of "ethical" punch (1200 ft lbs and 1750 fps) So if I can range that accurately, shoot that accurately, and the bullet perform, I might as well have the "7" on the CDS dial mean something.

For me between 0 - 10000 feet I get a difference of .9 MOA at 600 and 2.1 MOA at 700 yds, so that's enough to make a difference in the dial. Leupold also wants a temp for your dial so you have to think about that too. Things like the temperature sensitivity of your load also need some consideration - of course this is only relevant if you are pushing the limits of your gun.

Leupold gave me + or - 20 deg and 2000 ft error band for choosing the specs for the dial. I ended up with a 4000ft, 50 deg dial and a 8000 ft, 30 deg dial. Basically a "plains" and a "mountain" dial. In most cases I should get a bit more leeway if go lower than 2000 ft as it should be warmer and my load slightly hotter, offsetting the thicker air. The same is true above 10000 ft, colder, thinner air, but some loss of velocity should tend to equalize things a bit.....

I got my scope back today - the testing begins....

I think about this stuff way too much.
It's easy to do that (overthink this chit).

You asked about the Conquest setup. Yes, cap is off the turret, no, there is no way in hell anything other than an intentional use of your fingers is gonna turn the sucker! They are quite "tight".

Calvin did report having a CDS move on him in thick brush on a very physical climb. Maybe he'll chime in.
Originally Posted by Salmotrutta

I got my scope back today - the testing begins....

please post results
Calvin did have challenges with his CDS turning in Alaskan thickets. I hunted for 4 days with my rig in a Kifaru gunbearer and turret didn't turn one click. Mine all have zero stops and I am always in the habit of checking them as well as the M1 I run.

Best pricing is Brunos Shooters Supply for the 3.5-10 for $462. I prefer the CDS and this year have run them on game to over 500 yards, worked perfectly. I just ordered 4 other turrets for our rigs on the 2 for 1 deal.

My son likes the M1s better and his new 6x42 with M1 vertical arrived yesterday. Have to say it is very nice also.

Salmotrutta, I did the same thing you did about a week or so ago with a rig I may use at 3000 feet as well as at 10000 feet. Should be fun to dink with this late winter and spring.
Originally Posted by moosemuncher

Best pricing is Brunos Shooters Supply for the 3.5-10 for $462. I prefer the CDS and this year have run them on game to over 500 yards, worked perfectly. I just ordered 4 other turrets for our rigs on the 2 for 1 deal.

not quite....$445 @ Trophy's
i got one for 469.99 shipped

turrets extremely positive and accurate thus far and dont see how they could click in the bush but....S_it happens....

Glass in VX-3 is good glass, plenty good for any legal hunting and this past full moon it was looking good when looking over a field at night
$435 shipped.
wow MAP is 499.99
where are you guys seeing $435 shipped?? I can't even get that with my midway usa dealer discount
Originally Posted by nsaqam
$435 shipped.

That's what I paid for mine IIRC... grin REALLY nice.
Originally Posted by nsaqam
$435 shipped.

winner!
Could you let us know where we can get these prices? Thanks, AF
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Could you let us know where we can get these prices? Thanks, AF

+1
Out of respect for the owner of this site and the paid advertisers who make it possible I will not post the source in public.
Sorry, SAKO75 -

Been out using the dang things in AZ.

Less than 10 days. I also ordered 'scopes with drop dials from the Custom Shop - and again, less than 10 days.

Rorry for the delay in responding...
The eye relief on the 3.5-10X40 VX3's shortens from 3.8 to 3.4 inches. And it still has lots of eye box, twice what the 3-9X40 Conquest has.
While they don't focus as fast, they focus just as sharp. Focus the reticle and then the image, not just the reticle. E
© 24hourcampfire