Home
Posted By: mnimrod45 Leupold CDS vs M1 - 12/08/10
Hey guys,

I've been trying to figure this out and maybe you guys can help. Is the Leupold CDS turret the same as the M1 turret just in a lower profile configuration? I know you can order different turrets for the CDS with a BDC in it but if you just use the one that came with the scope, is it just regular 1/4 MOA clicks like the M1?

I have been thinking of sending in a VX3 and having M1 turrets on it but if I can just use the CDS turrets the same way, I'll just get a scope with those already on it. I won't ever get or use the BDC caps for it but will just want the regular MOA caps. I actually would rather use the lower CDS height caps anyway for hunting as much as I like the M1's.

Thanks in advance,

mnimrod45
Posted By: SeanD Re: Leupold CDS vs M1 - 12/08/10
You can get the CDS with MOA markings, and 1/4 MOA clicks just like the M1. I have two of them.

If I had to do it again I would get the M1's on both of mine that wear the CDS dial. CDS either has a zero stop so you only get 14 MOA, or if it doesnt have the zero stop you can't tell how many revolution the dial turns (no index). It also turns really easy when you are busting though brush or the rifle is riding around in the truck uncased. IMO.
Posted By: Calvin Re: Leupold CDS vs M1 - 12/08/10
M1's, for the reasons SeanD stated... CDS's turn rather easily while hiking through the chit.
Posted By: Rackmastr Re: Leupold CDS vs M1 - 12/08/10
Interesting note about the turrets spinning easily....I'm considering the CDS on a lightweight mountain rifle. Obviously would hate having them spin easy. With the zero stop I could see myself checking it to ensure it was good a lot, but it makes me wonder if I should be looking at a LR reticle or a B&C reticle instead, or even going M1's on my lightweight rig...
Posted By: mnimrod45 Re: Leupold CDS vs M1 - 12/08/10
Thanks guys, I was wondering for a while. I like Leupold stuff but their website doesn't explain some things well. I've used the M1's a lot for long range stuff, was just trying to figure out the differences.

Thanks,
mnimrod45
Posted By: Azshooter Re: Leupold CDS vs M1 - 12/08/10
I have several M1s and most recently added a CDS to a lightwight 338 RCM. The CDS with its low profile fits the rifle's theme. I will admit the CDS is a bit harder to see and not every MOA is numbered. If you intend to twist the turrets often I'd go with the M1.

I took that 338 RCM elk hunting a month ago. Didn't have any issues with the CDS changing its setting. I didn't figure on using that turret much because most of the shots we get are within 250 yds. BUT it is nice to have the capability. FYI the scope is a 2-7 x 33 VXII heavy plex, comeups proven out to 500 M.

Posted By: Gone_Huntin Re: Leupold CDS vs M1 - 12/09/10
I just bought a 3.5x10x40 VX-3 with the CDS dial. Mine do not turn that easy. Not saying they will not move while going through brush etc, but it seems like it would take quite a bit. With the zero stop should be easy enough to check now & again.

Now I have not spun mine up and down 350 times yet, maybe they loosen up after repeated usage?
Posted By: Bater Re: Leupold CDS vs M1 - 12/09/10
My CDS's and M1's take roughly the same pressure to turn....don't see how either could turn when working through brush unless the rifle is being dragged behind you...
Posted By: heavywalker Re: Leupold CDS vs M1 - 12/09/10
Originally Posted by hunter5325
My CDS's and M1's take roughly the same pressure to turn....don't see how either could turn when working through brush unless the rifle is being dragged behind you...

same here....

the one leupold turret I have had that would spin without my knowledge was an M1 I sent it back to leupold and they fixed it. the tension was obviously less than that of other turrets. I guess by the same logic used here all M1's turn without warning also.

Hint what controls the tension it takes to turn a turret is on the inside not out. wink
Posted By: okiebowhunter Re: Leupold CDS vs M1 - 12/09/10
I had a VX III sent to Leupold for CDS turrets design for my 30-06 set up. I set it up and tested it and was pretty impressed on the accuracy of the adjustments. I used it this season on a 287, 460, and 330 yd shots. Not much of a stretch but I felt they did their job.

I toted that rifle all over the mountains in NM, woods of ok, and plains of KS and it never moved. I like the M1's dont get me wrong, but for a hunting rifle for on the fly adjustments, Isay its perfect. I'm sending another couple off after the holidays.

Joseph
Posted By: Mntngoat Re: Leupold CDS vs M1 - 12/09/10
on target rifles i prefer the M1 but for a field rifle I like the CDS as its a lower profile.

ML
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Leupold CDS vs M1 - 12/10/10
Can't like a CDS anywhere,nor begrudge an M1 in any application...................
Posted By: Rackmastr Re: Leupold CDS vs M1 - 12/10/10
Curious as to why BS.....what do you notice as the biggest differences?
Posted By: Calvin Re: Leupold CDS vs M1 - 12/10/10
Originally Posted by hunter5325

Try it. If I had to guess, I'd say I logged about 25 miles of CDS turreted trailblazing this season. Probably about 50 miles of M1 trailblazing. I don't need to guess.
Originally Posted by Rackmastr
Interesting note about the turrets spinning easily....I'm considering the CDS on a lightweight mountain rifle. Obviously would hate having them spin easy. With the zero stop I could see myself checking it to ensure it was good a lot, but it makes me wonder if I should be looking at a LR reticle or a B&C reticle instead, or even going M1's on my lightweight rig...

Nothing wrong with M1's on a lwt rig. I've got lots of lightweights/flyweights with M1's.
[Linked Image]

In all fairness to the CDS, it did account for 2 bears and a handful of bucks this season. I don't like it cause it moves.
Thanks Calvin. Does the M1 have any 'zero-stops' on it, or a way to know if its spun which way its spun?
It has hash marks.. M1's don't spin very far in the field. You are lucky to move em 1 click, in my experience.
What kind of movement were you getting with the CDS?

I do like the slim lo-profile look of the CDS on a nice little LW rifle....but certainly dont like the idea of movement...
I was actually shocked at how much the cds moved. I started a thread about it during the season. Let me go dig that thread up.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/4533405/A_CDS_Observation#Post4533405
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Leupold CDS vs M1 - 12/10/10
Calvin,

Have you talked to Leupold about the free-wheeling? Is there some way that they can tighten up to the same tension as an M1?

To all: what makes the tension on a turret anyway?
I haven't talked to Leupold. I'll probably ship the 2 FX3's I have with the CDS back this winter and go M1's on them.

Posted By: okiebowhunter Re: Leupold CDS vs M1 - 12/10/10
Ive got an old tactical that has turrets about as tall as giraff anus. I may shrink em up with some M1's. All this talk makes me feel a like I'm cheatin on my M1's. Ive used them for years and have nary a complaint, but its damn hard to complain about something that worked for me, 1 season that is.

I like the feel of grabbin the M1's over the CDS. They do have the low pro M1's, havent tried them. Had too many laying around to have to buy a new one in a while.

Joseph
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Leupold CDS vs M1 - 12/10/10
Calvin which EDGE are you puttin those Ti's in? Hunters EDGE or another style with same fill? I gotta model 7 with a mr take off on it that deserves a good handle. Thanks.
Posted By: 4Alaska Re: Leupold CDS vs M1 - 12/10/10
Having just joined I know I've missed considerable conversation on Leupolds CDS system. I'm considering sending my scope in, but I would like to hear from those in the know. The scope is a VXIII 2.5x8. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Tnx
Posted By: KodiakHntr Re: Leupold CDS vs M1 - 12/10/10
Thanks Calvin. Does the M1 have any 'zero-stops' on it, or a way to know if its spun which way its spun?

I'm not Calvin, but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.....

No zero stops on the M1, but the hash marks tell you at a glance if its moved. Sold a buddy on 'em by letting him spin the turret as much as he wanted without me watching, then scoring a first round plate hit in under 10 seconds at 600 yards.....

Hard to go wrong with M1's.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Leupold CDS vs M1 - 12/11/10
If you can't see this scale and confirm your zero,you is welllllllllll beyond hopeless.............

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Rackmastr Re: Leupold CDS vs M1 - 12/11/10
I think after this thread my idea of going to a CDS has been changed to running a CDS instead....for the simple fact of not wanting to know if its moved on me....

My thoughts are a VXIII 2.5-8x36 with M1 elevation on top of a 7SAUM Model 7 build. I think the M1 would be okay on this lightweight build and would allow a guy to spin turrets and have some fun for some longer range shooting...
The CDS is akin to a Cough Silencer.

Rock on...................
Posted By: Middlefork_Miner Re: Leupold CDS vs M1 - 12/11/10
Damn...I'm heartbroken now....grin...
Live & learn.................
Posted By: Rackmastr Re: Leupold CDS vs M1 - 12/11/10
Anyone ever heard of Leupold doing zero-stops on an M1 turret or is that even a possibility?

Either way...the M1's look pretty damn sweet and I think thats the ticket for my new build...
Posted By: SU35 Re: Leupold CDS vs M1 - 12/11/10
I'm not to hot on running M1's on 26 mm scopes but do like them on my 30mm's.

I have been running this dial up and down from 200 yards to 1000 yards with accurate adjustments. As shown, you can cap the dial.

Just a plain $289.00 Minox 3x9. No zero stop
but it has plenty adjustment.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bob33 Re: Leupold CDS vs M1 - 12/12/10
I just got back from an Oregon elk hunt with a CDS scope I bought earlier this year. My CDS scope's elevation turret moved TWICE during the hunt. I have no idea how, but that is unacceptable.
Posted By: iddave Re: Leupold CDS vs M1 - 12/12/10
Can't say one choice is better than the other, but CDS moving is not an issue.

Running it on two of my rifles in the wilds of Idaho with nary a problem...and I don't hunt the easy stuff by any stretch of the imagination.

Dave
Posted By: toad Re: Leupold CDS vs M1 - 12/12/10
i'm running both on multiple platforms, and i'm probably gonna send in the CDS for conversion to M1s one of these days. the M1s are just easier to use, and i've never had the size stop me from getting anywhere, ever.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Leupold CDS vs M1 - 12/12/10
Originally Posted by iddave
Can't say one choice is better than the other, but CDS moving is not an issue.

Running it on two of my rifles in the wilds of Idaho with nary a problem...and I don't hunt the easy stuff by any stretch of the imagination.

Dave

Been known to be hard on stuff myself and the M1 is simply without peer...nor is it close.................
Posted By: Calvin Re: Leupold CDS vs M1 - 12/12/10
A drop off on Fernando and a mile crawl inland to the muskegs will change a lot of minds on the issue if CDS turrets move.. Nothing says thick/nasty like starting from the beach.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Leupold CDS vs M1 - 12/12/10
I cussed 'em outta the gate and am staying the course.

M1 or bust...................
Posted By: Rackmastr Re: Leupold CDS vs M1 - 12/14/10
Next decision is going to be whether to get an M1 etched for a load or if I'll just run it with MOA markings instead.
Posted By: RickF Re: Leupold CDS vs M1 - 12/14/10
MOA Trev, it's always easy to run a load and make your own drop sheet. Then if you want to change loads, or the scope ends up on a different rifle, you are still good to go.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Leupold CDS vs M1 - 12/14/10
Next decision is going to be whether to get an M1 etched for a load or if I'll just run it with MOA markings instead.

A BDC less MOA,is a quick track to pissing up a rope.

Forget the BDC notion and drive straight .25MOA graduations...............
Posted By: moosedrool Re: Leupold CDS vs M1 - 12/14/10
I've been toying with the idea of getting the 2 free CDS dials on for my new Rem 700 30-06. You guys have pretty much talked me into the M1 w/ .25MOA for my VX3 3.5-10x40.

What about the windage turrets? Does anyone use them? Or is it overkill?

Brian
I'm content running without a windage knob,as much due to the function of how I tote my rifle in a laden pack...............
Posted By: heavywalker Re: Leupold CDS vs M1 - 12/14/10
If you have never played with windage turrets there is no time like the present so start. they are fun to mess with anyways and there is nothing that says you cannot hold off for wind with one on your scope.
I getta kick outta the Holdoff Crowd,because with just a leetle downrange distance and just a leetle bit of wind...you are then gunning things less reticle interface.

Gimme LRF,dialed ele and I'll happily nudge wind with the horizintal wire,in conjunction to crosshair interface.

Easier than it sounds and it assuredly don't sound difficult either...............(grin)
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Leupold CDS vs M1 - 12/14/10
Stick, so let me get this straight. Range, spin, crosshair where you want to poke, pull the trigger.

I don't know, sounds kinda complicated leaving out which dot or hash mark to use. Let's see, do I have a mil/moa or moa/mil, damn, where's my calculator, that critter is about to disappear. grin

Only kidding folks, I am trying to decide on a scope for a long range rig myself, and since I am a little slow to learn, I keep going back to the beauty of simplicity.
I love Naysayers and I do get a bunch,but never for long.(grin)

Process is thus:

Load Naysayer into rig full of rifles/ammo,drive to Range,have them set 12" steel plates up at distances beyond their modest comprehension(typically 450/700/1K).

Flop Naysayer MPAJ in the dirt,with a rucksack front rest and nothing to the rear. Have Naysayer laze target,read comeups on the inside of stock and dump erector accordingly. Have Naysayer send one onto plate...then await their "Holy [bleep] Schit This Is Easy" Rant to wane. Have Naysayer laze next plate,dump dope,send one and then outlast the second reiteration of the initial Rant to peter out. Lastly,have Naysayer Laze next plate,dump dope,send one and then brace myself for the length of the pending Rant.(grin)

Have Naysayer return turret to "0" and repeat with different rifle/chambering.

Sells alotta rifles/glass and LRF's......................(grin)
Posted By: heavywalker Re: Leupold CDS vs M1 - 12/14/10
Originally Posted by Big Stick

Sells alotta rifles/glass and LRF's......................(grin)

maybe you should go work for JB grin
She should take notes,that's for certain.................
Posted By: cal74 Re: Leupold CDS vs M1 - 12/14/10
I tried out my CDS last night and it has pretty firm/positive clicks. Do not have an M1 to compare it to, but I can't see where it'd be moving all over the place on it's own.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Leupold CDS vs M1 - 12/15/10
Live and learn................
Posted By: Bighorn Re: Leupold CDS vs M1 - 12/15/10
Question for you guys using turrets- any of you using them on rifles you carry in scabbards, on horseback hunts?
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Leupold CDS vs M1 - 12/15/10
Lotsa pards schlep them aboard Ponies...less issue...............
© 24hourcampfire