Home
Posted By: GreatWaputi Zero with a turret? - 02/21/11
For the turret spinning "experts", what distance do you normally zero your scope at? 100, 200, 250?..
Posted By: Magnumdood Re: Zero with a turret? - 02/21/11
The ex-spurt quailification excludes me...
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Zero with a turret? - 02/21/11
Originally Posted by Magnumdood

Don't get your feelers hurt, someone's bound to come along and ask about playing jacks or tiddlywinks.
Posted By: BradArnett Re: Zero with a turret? - 02/21/11
For me it depends on the rifle. Have them at 100,200,250. The bulk are 200 though.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Zero with a turret? - 02/21/11
I'm mostly a dead nuts on at 100 with them, the 257 Roy being the noticeable exception.
Posted By: Azshooter Re: Zero with a turret? - 02/21/11
One or two inches high at 100 depending on the rifle's trajectory. I learned right away what not to do...zero at 100 with a walking varmint rifle. I saw a coyote at 250 yds and tried to adjust the turret for the shot....too late. Better to have a useful trajectory out to 250-300 yds than one that cannot be used for those fast situations.

It isn't mentioned often but if you go into the thick woods or some other short range condition you can always twist the turret down 1 or 2 MOA for zero at 100.

My 257 Roy which is used for coues wt at long distances is set 3" high, zero at approx 360 yds. We glass the deer up and rarely are they closer than 350 yds.

Set yours up for what you think will work and then go out and practice. You will find out right away if it suits your needs.

Never figured how folks get hung up over having it zeroed at 100. Seems many forget that there is a turret on the top of the scope. If you get out of your truck for a day of antelope hunting, spin the [bleep] turret to 2 or whatever before you begin the hunt.

That is the every loving beauty of them, put them where you want them, giving the situation. Hence dead nuts on at 100 works for me.
Posted By: Magnumdood Re: Zero with a turret? - 02/21/11
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Originally Posted by Magnumdood

Don't get your feelers hurt, someone's bound to come along and ask about playing jacks or tiddlywinks.

Such acrimony, so early�not good for your digestion!

Laffin'!.....
Posted By: JohnMoses Re: Zero with a turret? - 02/21/11
always 100 for me. But I don't shoot as far as some gents.
Posted By: JStor Re: Zero with a turret? - 02/21/11
Turret spinning begins at 100. You have to have an exact baseline to start with, and as Steelhead pointed out, "put them where you want them" from that base.

Those rifles that have scopes without turrets get the 2-2.5 inches high at 100 yards treatment.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Zero with a turret? - 02/21/11
For the turret spinning "experts", what distance do you normally zero your scope at? 100, 200, 250?..

I like to allow the cartridge/boolit combo to do as much of it's thing that's inherent,before mandated to assist with come-ups.

Don't like to be greater than 2.5" high at 100yds,with anything,for any reason...................
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Zero with a turret? - 02/21/11
200 yards.
Cain't like my 22LRs zeroed there. I tend to think in boolits/chamberings firstly....................
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Zero with a turret? - 02/21/11
LOL, you're right about that, but I don't think the OP had .22LR in mind wink
Posted By: aalf Re: Zero with a turret? - 02/21/11
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I tend to think in boolits/chamberings firstly....................

Zackly,

Most are 200, a couple or three at 225, one at 250, the hammer at 300.
Posted By: ShortMagFan Re: Zero with a turret? - 02/21/11
I just
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Never figured how folks get hung up over having it zeroed at 100. Seems many forget that there is a turret on the top of the scope. If you get out of your truck for a day of antelope hunting, spin the [bleep] turret to 2 or whatever before you begin the hunt.

That is the every loving beauty of them, put them where you want them, giving the situation. Hence dead nuts on at 100 works for me.

This was my thinking when i zeroed turret on my 243 at 100 on saturday. i confirmed POI to 300 at the range then just put the turret on "2" when i was out walking yesterday on the edge of some fields. It was back to "0" when i got in my deer stand for the hog hunt. Was hoping to have proof positive on the 243's abilities on big game but alas the piggies didn't show.
Posted By: toad Re: Zero with a turret? - 02/21/11
zero @ 100 and dial from there. like Steelie sez, add dope to the erector as situations dictate. that's what knobs are for.
One can have his cake and eat it too and allowing a boolit/chambering to do it's thing,less input...ain't a concession.

That being said,I do run my ribbons from the 50yd line,so if I wanna hit a Hummingbird in the lips,I certainly can.

But I ain't configured to twist needlessly...............
Posted By: doubletap Re: Zero with a turret? - 02/21/11
But I ain't configured to twist needlessly...............

Kinda like Chubby Checker. laugh
Guys are always quizzing me about turrets and most are under the impression that they gotta change the way they've always done bidness,to make the swap. I always denote the same,in that one needn't change anything,under the assumption of their having a faint clue in basics from inception.

Couldn't begin to guess how many guys I've shown the light to and not a one didn't beat themself up,after connecting the dots.

The cake and eat it too Mantra...do sell itself...................(grin)

Posted By: Calvin Re: Zero with a turret? - 02/21/11
I do 1" high at 100 on all my stuff now, just so I keep things standard and it's easy to remember. That usually has me twisting turrets at around 215 and beyond. I can take a shot up to 300 without a twist, but my hunting style usually will give me time to make a few clicks.
A turret don't pigeonhole a guy,unless it's a BDC cam denoted solely in yards..............(grin)
I wanna go shoot, as I've got a ton of stuff to work up. This weather is driving me nuts. Might have to go set up some stuff on the beaches tomorrow if the wind is OK and get some good shooting in.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Zero with a turret? - 02/21/11
For most rounds, I "zero" at 200. But I have uses for closer zeros so I have data that allows me to dial down for shorter ranges and for precise targets, IE not deer rib cage, I often do.

I could live with it zero'd at 100 with no issues though too.
Originally Posted by Calvin
I wanna go shoot, as I've got a ton of stuff to work up. This weather is driving me nuts. Might have to go set up some stuff on the beaches tomorrow if the wind is OK and get some good shooting in.

Light breeze at my house.............
Posted By: heavywalker Re: Zero with a turret? - 02/21/11
I sight in for MPBR with either a 2 or 3 inch radius target depending on the intended use of the rifle. This usually gets me out to 300+ or - yards before I have to start spinning turrets.
Posted By: cumminscowboy Re: Zero with a turret? - 02/21/11
200 is probably the best way to go. I looked at your question pretty close when I ordered my last CDS dial. it really doesn't help to start out more than 200 because on the back end you don't gain that much,

so on a CDS scope say your max is 800 yards in one turn starting at 200 yards. if you start at 300 yards, you get 35-50 yards on the back end, so your range just goes to 850ish on the back end. the lack of extra yardage on the back end doesn't make up for the extra problems you get close in.
CDS is consumate uprope pissin'...............
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Zero with a turret? - 02/21/11
Turrets ain't voodoo. Never had to scratch muh haid when stickin' a dime in the slot. Turrets are no different.

Switched to turrets so's I didn't have to carry spare change.
Chick's with Adam's Apples...ain't Chicks.

Though they will take dimes.................(grin)
Try turrets without the clicks and stay with the friction set-up.

You can "split" the clicks when shootin' way out there.

Cool beans.
Chick's with Adam's Apples...ain't Chicks.

Though they will take dimes.................(grin)

Pass. there ain't a night long enough.
The only thing friction is good for,is makin' fire...............
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Zero with a turret? - 02/21/11
Stick, your take on windage turrets........or do you aim into the breeze and hold your tongue right?
Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: Zero with a turret? - 02/21/11
Unless you are shooting at mice...I certainly cannot see dicking with a scope for an animal that is only 250 yds away!
Ele is Physics,wind is VooDoo. M1 ele,flush windage.

Duplex.................
Posted By: 721_tomahawk Re: Zero with a turret? - 02/21/11
Montucky 7-08 on Gunbroker.. I have the bid but dont want it as I bought some other toys! Fetch boys!!
I'm sure those watching it and trying to keep it on the "down-low" will thank you for driving the price up.
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Unless you are shooting at mice...I certainly cannot see dicking with a scope for an animal that is only 250 yds away!

You don't have to. But, I'll choose to when I have a good animal peeking at me, while standing in the brush and I don't have much wiggle room.
Much escapes you.
Posted By: 721_tomahawk Re: Zero with a turret? - 02/21/11
I guess they are welcome... Its the 15min rule anyway.. its a fugn non-issue..
I don't think there is a wrong answer here.

Alot depends on your situation. I hunt in some places where I may get a shot from 50-500 yds.

If I get an eyeball peeking from behind the trees at 50-75 yds. I want it on.

If something pops out at 250 and I'm pressed for time, it's not quite a 6" drop with a 100 yd zero on my 7 Shortmag (160's).

That is easy enough to hold for.

JM
Much escapes you.

Don't worry, if I ever decide to get drunk, and go after some dink deer, I will call you for advice.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Zero with a turret? - 02/21/11
I'm sure those watching it and trying to keep it on the "down-low" will thank you for driving the price up.

LOL
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Zero with a turret? - 02/21/11
Steelhead: I have gotten out of my truck for a "days Antelope Hunting" numerous times, EVERY year since 1969 - I am guessing about 425 days worth of Antelope Hunting.
I have NEVER "twisted a turret" even ONCE during those MANY days afield.
I don't mind saying to you, I am a rather successful Antelope Hunter!
I sight my Rifles in at a known range and have on hand a basic trajectory chart out to 500 yards either placed inside my rear Butler Creek flip-up scope cover or taped to my Rifles stock.
The chart is instantly available and is thought out in advance to give me the utmost in "hold on hair" ranges my caliber is capable of.
Rather often anymore (as Antelope Hunting pressures have increased over the years) I need to make quick reference to my chart after taking a Leica lasered ranging and place my scopes crosshairs where they need be held for longer ranges.
This is faster than twisting scope turrets and MORE RELIABLE - there is a noteable number of "scopes" manufactured today that do not reliable "adjust" the bullet impact point until after the first shot!
I advise all first time Antlope Hunters to tape on a basic trajectory chart and use "hold-over" for the longer ranges (past hold on hair distances).
I hope your scope reliably puts your turret twisted adjustment to the correct new P.O.I. every time - if it does it is among the seemingly few exceptions.
Over the decades I have seen countless turret twisters "puzzled" why their shot was off - I have seen far fewer folks with trajectory charts and a good knowledge of proper holdover experience the "unexplained and puzzling misses".
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Bullshit
Posted By: aalf Re: Zero with a turret? - 02/21/11
Yup, should frame that one.....
The only true way to understand turrets.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: WTM45 Re: Zero with a turret? - 02/21/11
Holdover is pure gambling.
Use proper optics. They are better than any human.
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
The only true way to understand turrets.

[Linked Image]

Don't appear none too daunting,but actually shooting...has been knowed to much skew Theoretical supposition.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

But a thermometer may stump some folks too.................
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Steelhead: I have gotten out of my truck for a "days Antelope Hunting" numerous times, EVERY year since 1969 - I am guessing about 425 days worth of Antelope Hunting.
I don't mind saying to you, I am a rather successful Antelope Hunter!
I sight my Rifles in at a known range and have on hand a basic trajectory chart out to 500 yards either placed inside my rear Butler Creek flip-up scope cover or taped to my Rifles stock.
The chart is instantly available and is thought out in advance to give me the utmost in "hold on hair" ranges my caliber is capable of.
Rather often anymore (as Antelope Hunting pressures have increased over the years) I need to make quick reference to my chart after taking a Leica lasered ranging and place my scopes crosshairs where they need be held for longer ranges.
This is faster than twisting scope turrets and MORE RELIABLE - there is a noteable number of "scopes" manufactured today that do not reliable "adjust" the bullet impact point until after the first shot!
I advise all first time Antlope Hunters to tape on a basic trajectory chart and use "hold-over" for the longer ranges (past hold on hair distances).
I hope your scope reliably puts your turret twisted adjustment to the correct new P.O.I. every time - if it does it is among the seemingly few exceptions.
Over the decades I have seen countless turret twisters "puzzled" why their shot was off - I have seen far fewer folks with trajectory charts and a good knowledge of proper holdover experience the "unexplained and puzzling misses".
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Saved for posterity.
Damn turret, almost cost me this one...[rolls eyes]

[Linked Image]
Much escapes you.

Don't worry, if I ever decide to get drunk, and go after some dink deer, I will call you for advice.

I suggest you chew on a revolver and save us from all your sore cunny issues.
Good seeing Varmintgal still don't have a [bleep] clue.

[Linked Image]

Nice cutters! That in Utah and or Wyo?

Dober
[Linked Image]

Those turrets would be ok if they didn't have those needless MOA markings.....
Headed out to the paint shop now,with rifle in hand...mulling me some thunks..............(grin)
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

[Linked Image]

Nice cutters! That in Utah and or Wyo?

Dober

Utah
Posted By: ldholton Re: Zero with a turret? - 02/21/11
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
[Linked Image]

Those turrets would be ok if they didn't have those needless MOA markings.....
i bet your a pretty good cook the way you stir the pot and all laugh
Damn, I just realized that is a greybull!
Beautiful lope, hope to draw Wyo this year..can't get enough of them. U hunt Utah in Sept or Oct for lopes? And how tough is it for you to draw in Utah?

Range, round etc..?

Thx 4 sharing

Dober
Posted By: SU35 Re: Zero with a turret? - 02/21/11
I zero at 100.

And hunt it at 250.
There's some great antelope here, but the best units take upwards of 12 years to draw. Took me six years of applying to draw a mediocre tag, but it was a fun hunt in some beautiful country. Took place in mid September just outside of Bryce Canyon (Paunsaugunt/Mt. Dutton Unit).

I looked over the herd pretty good for five days, and while I saw taller bucks, they were spindly horned and didn't have any cutters to speak of, so I decided to take this one after I'd seen him a couple of times.

Rifle is a Kimber Montana .300 WSM wearing a Leupold VXIII 2.5-8x36mm w/M1 elevation turret. I shoot factory Federal Premium 165gr Barnes TSX. Range was 486 yards, as verified by my Leica 10x42 Geovids.

Amazing how well that ranging, dialing, and holding on hair stuff works... wink
Nice kill and good shot too.
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Zero with a turret? - 02/21/11
Good seeing Varmintgal still don't have a [bleep] clue.

He's forgotten more than Big Stick knows..

Long Live Leupold & Stephine's Co..
Hold your breath

RDFinn
Posted By: JD338 Re: Zero with a turret? - 02/21/11
When I first started dialing, I kept a 100 yd zero. I have since changed to a 200 yd zero.

JD338
Her Imagination is the big one......................(grin)
Nice kill and good shot too.

Misjudged the wind a little bit, but it worked.

I agree. If someone cannot hit a big game animal within 400 yards, without spinning a turret, they are retarded.

You have to remember though, Steelhead is always drunk, or battling the shakes, so he needs all the hand holding he can get.
Depends on the caliber & boolit as to the degree of retardation.

Holding over 70+ inches with a 300 gr. 45-70 sighted in for 200 would be kinda retarded don't ya think? wink

I'd not being trying to "hit an animal",when I could earhole it as per whim instead................
Posted By: Pete E Re: Zero with a turret? - 02/22/11

You have to remember though, Steelhead is always drunk, or battling the shakes, so he needs all the hand holding he can get.

Pretty low calling a guy a drunk across the internet..

That said, even if Scott did develop a mysterious case of the shakes, I still put my money on him over you when it came to shooting...
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Zero with a turret? - 02/22/11

I agree. If someone cannot hit a big game animal within 400 yards, without spinning a turret, they are retarded.

Beats hell out of being a constant dumpphuck with a itchy puzzy.

Some of Dogsucker223's gems.

I have never liked the Ruger factory scope rings. They seem to be praised by gunwriters for some reason. I can see how in theory it is a better system since it does not require a base.

Problem is, they are poorly cast, not machined. Therefore...they are not even close to being round, or symmetrical. Most people wouldn't notice this though. They slap a scope in there, crank it down and potentially ruin a good scope. The real eye opener is when you lap them.

I lapped a set last night hoping to get good results. They were the worst set I have ever had. I was probably getting 20% contact on the front ring, and literally 5% on the rear prior to lapping. I had to lap them so far that I had to mill down the tabs on the side so that they would fit tight on my scope. Then I marked the inside of the top ring, test fit it, and then removed the top to see the top ring is making contact probably in a strip 1/8" wide. So, I said F it, and ordered a set of Burris today.

Why can't Ruger machine these or do a better job of casting them? Certainly I am not the only one to notice this. Of course, most people probably don't lap their rings, so they wouldn't know just how bad they are.

Thanks

This is a shot in the dark, but...

Wondering if anyone owns a Leer topper, and if their key happens to be numbered "H705D". (it is stamped next to the keyhole on the hatch).

I have tried to get a key for mine since October 2006, and all the dealers keep saying they are backordered! Hoping someone would have a topper that uses that key number, so I could buy a copy off them. I have called three Leer dealers, and even emailed Leer themselves and go not reponse. And Leer does not provide a phone number that gets you to them directly.

Thanks!

PS> if you don't own a Leer, don't buy one

I cannot believe you got a free barrel. When Pacnor screwed mine up, I had to send it back, and get back on the waiting list.

So, while everyone else was out partying with strippers and having a good time last night, I decided to do some loading of my 223AI.

I always set my die to a dummy round, then load one fine tuning the bullet depth to match my specs. So I loaded the first two and they were perfect, then I loaded one and noticed the bullet looked way deeper. I measured it and it was .015" deeper than the first two. So i checked, and eveything was tight and all was OK. So I backed off the seater, and reset the die. Loaded one, and it was fine. Loaded another and it was again .015" deeper! I measure both off the tip, and ogive. The bullets were all uniform.

I finally figured out the seater, which is supposed to be freefloating in the LEE, was binding up. When it didn't bind, the seater would float all the way up. When it binded it was stopping .015" short. I took it all apart and can not figure out why it is doing this. There does seem to be a little lip in the adjustment cap, and I think the seater is hitting this.

Anyone had these experiences before? I am going to have to drop the money on a Redding competition seater. I loaded 24 rounds last night, and ten were seated to deep. Probably took me an hour just to load the 14, after i charged them, because I had to keep adjusting the seater. What an end to a crappy year!

First time I shot my custom 7-08, it misfired 5 out of 25 shells. I was hoping it was just bad primers. I got some new primers and took it to the range today. Had one misfire out of 20 shots.

So far, gun has been shot 45 times, with 6 misfires. I was so pissed the first time, that I foolishly pulled the bullets, and tossed the dud cases. I saved the one from today, and it is obviously a light primer strike.

So, does this mean a faulty striking mechanism, or a headspace issue?

I yanked the striking mechanism today, and it is clean, with a light coat of grease. I swabbed the interior of the bolt, and there was no debris. I also did not see any debris packed into the coil spring.

I measured the shoulders on my loaded rounds (virgin brass), compared to my dummy rounds, and fired rounds. The dummy round, and the loaded round are the same. And the unfired case's shoulder was .002" shorter than the fired case. Does that sound right?

Primers and brass are both Winchester.

I went all out on this build. The bolt was double sleeved, and the pin was turned, and the firing pin hole bushed. This was suppose to give more consistent ignition.

Any ideas what might be the problem? I am taking it back to the smith regardless, but I figured I would see what everyone thought, then hopefully tell everyone the answer to the mystery when it is fixed.

I have never had misfires in any of my guns until this one. And 6 out of 45 is just not good enough odds to me to have confidence in this gun when I am hunting.

I have a brand new Ruger M77 in a walnut stock. This gun has not even been fired yet. I bought a Timney trigger and wanted to install it. I could only get the two back screws out, the angled screw won't budge!

I have heated it, soaked it in PB Blaster and nothing. I even tried a screwdriver tip in my socket wrench and it won't budge.

The F****** thing made me screw up the stock tonight. I had it in the vise and was leaning on it pretty hard and it slipped and dinged up the walnut on both sides of the stock!

I am calling Ruger on Tuesday and asking them if I can send it back. I want the screw removed, and I want a new stock. What do you think???

I am so pissed right now at that thing. Only thing I can think is they got some glue or something in the threads.

I was wondering what the consensus is on these Butler Creek flip open scope caps. I bought one objective cover for a Burris scope today, and of course it was too big. But one thing I did notice is that it didn't really flip open much, it kind of sticks and then it finally goes, but the spring doesn't do much.

I bought the black one. Now that I have to exchange it, wondering if I should check out the clear or yellow ones? Or if none of them are worth the money.

What the hell did I do in my last life to deserve this kind of headache!

I got a replacement scope in the mail from Zeiss for that jacked up Conquest that I ordered. It is brand new...AND, THEY SENT ME THE WRONG DAMN RETICLE! Son of a bitch, this scope is going to cost me $500 by the time I am done mailing it back and forth. I give up. I sent them a #4 German reticle, and they sent me back a standard plex.

I would like to thank Zeiss and the retailer for the headaches, and loss of shipping costs, and trips to Fedex.

I installed the Rifle Basix trigger tonight in my M700. What a pain in the ass! LOL

You out to just throw the direction in the trash because they are worthless. There was nothing in the directions about taking off the safety gizmo from the old trigger. I have never worked on a M700 trigger before, so I did not know there was a little ball bearing in there that decided to go flying. Took me 15 minutes to find it with a flashlight under my workbench (pure luck).

Then, I was trying to put the safety gizmo on the new trigger and that little clip was a pain to get seated. I about had it until it decided to go airborne too. Finally found it in a spider web, being guarded by a nasty spider. So, out came the brake cleaner. Zapped the spider and in the process I wiped out most of my brain cells. Had to turn on the fan and open the garage door to air the place out.

I need to send in a Leupold scope for repair. The power ring takes a gorilla to turn it. Was going to box it up tonight and read on their website that you have to include a $15 payment for shipping and handling. What gives?

Been loading up some ammo for my 204 Ruger. I did something really stupid, I accidentally was seating them in my 223AI die. It worked fine, but once I realized what I had done, I checked the OAL and they varied quite a bit. I thought it must have been because of my stupid mistake.

So...I decided to load up some new ammo with the right dies. I again was getting very inconsistent OAL. I then measured some bullets and they varied as much as .010". And that is a lot considering they have the plastic tip and are only a 20 cal, 32gr bullet.

I measured off the ogive and they were all about the same. The bullets were so far off round to round that I could never decide what my true OAL was. Some would be below the 2.260 max, and some would be 2.270. There is plenty of length in my mag, and about a foot of freebore, but it is still annoying. Especially since Sierra states their OAL was 2.250. Wonder how they came up with that figure, LOL.

OK, so I called Sierra today and the guy was a total dick. I was really nice and even mentioned how much I like their bullets before asking him about the variances in length. The guy got mad and told me I don't know much about reloading if I think OAL matters!

I told him I understood bullet jump, measuring off the ogive etc. I just thought it was odd since all the other Sierra products were consistent in both ogive and OAL. I even told him I was not trying to insult them and really like their bullets, I was just wondering if I got a bad batch etc.

He then replied I was getting into an arguement I was not going to win! I really don't know what his problem was. He kept saying if I knew how to handload, then I would know that OAL does not matter, and I wouldn't be hung up on it. I then asked how in the hell did they come up with the OAL length they published if every round varied as much as .010"? He finally said they just loaded up the first round, it happened to be 2.250 and then didn't touch the seater for the rest of the loads, and didn't measure them either. So then I asked why even publish an OAL figure at all if it only applied to one round? He had no answer. He also told me Sierra does not care about bullet length and they only design their bullets to be the same diameter, weight and jacket thickness.

I finally got tired of talking to him and just ended the conversation. God I wish Nosler made a 32gr. Looks like I am going to have to try Hornady just out of principle. Probably give the Berger 35's a try too.

I ordered one for a Ruger, and it was sent with the wrong allen wrench. I called Timney and they told me a new one was on the way. I never got it. I went to Sears and found the right size.

Then I ordered another one for another Ruger a few months later, and it too came with the wrong wrench. At least I purchased the right one myself so it was not an issue, still bad control on their part.

Just got my first set of Talley Lightweights in the mail yesterday. Everything looked good until I noticed the scope doesn't sit all the way in the rings. I would say just from eyeing it, that it stops 1/16" from the bottom of the ring. The rings are too tight. I tried a Nikon, Weaver, and Pentax and all of them fit the same, so I know it is the scope. Am I supposed to lap the piss out of these things? Any suggestions before I ship yet another defective product back?

Maybe I was meant to use iron sights, LOL. First that crappy Zeiss, now these rings.

I attempted to buy a Zeiss Conquest three times. First scope that was sent to me had a faulty reticle. Had to send it back. Then Zeiss sent me a new one, but the wrong model, and I had to send it back. Finally the third one arrived...correct model, correct reticle, but this one had a large black spec stuck to the inside of the lense. Crappy quality control if you ask me. I will admit, the view was bright and clear, but that scope ended up costing me $40 in return shipping all for nothing, finally got the purchase price back, and moved on.

See a trend?
That's ok Pete, he's still pizzed that he had to actually call me on rifle build advice and when I called back a few hours later I had a good chat with the chick at the end of the line. It was still likely her posting, as I can't imagine a man that has as many cunny issues as Bitchcatcher223
Hell, she's also the only silly bitch to EVER have a Camerland 'issue'. Course she is consistent.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/4764631/1
Posted By: JohnMoses Re: Zero with a turret? - 02/22/11
Between fighting mean spiders for gun parts and stock checkering his Rugers with a phillips head, he's been a busy man.

Laffin.
Posted By: roundoak Re: Zero with a turret? - 02/22/11
Originally Posted by Pete E

Pretty low calling a guy a drunk across the internet..

That said, even if Scott did develop a mysterious case of the shakes, I still put my money on him over you when it came to shooting...

Becareful what you say - you want to start another shoot out in Montana. grin
Posted By: JohnMoses Re: Zero with a turret? - 02/22/11
I challenge Round Oak to hatchets at 300 yds.
Posted By: roundoak Re: Zero with a turret? - 02/22/11
If you make it tomahawks - your on.
Posted By: LIV2HUNT Re: Zero with a turret? - 02/22/11
Between fighting mean spiders for gun parts and stock checkering his Rugers with a phillips head, he's been a busy man.

Laffin.

Water on the keyboard and out my nose!! Thanks JM LMAO grin
Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: Zero with a turret? - 02/22/11
Steelhead, it has been fun watching you inch toward rock bottom over the years... hang tight, you'll get there!
Posted By: Bearwolf32 Re: Zero with a turret? - 02/22/11
Always have zero'd mine at 100yds, but 100yds has been the longest of any of my shots. Most are way less than that on running hogs. Used to run my 270 win at 200yds back when I lived in open country where you could see for miles.

Maybe one of these days I'll have a bunch of money burning a whole in my pocket and get one of the zeiss conquest 6.5-20x50 with the target turrets to play around with. smile
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Zero with a turret? - 02/22/11

Beats hell out of being a constant dumpphuck with a itchy puzzy.

Some of Dogsucker223's gems.

I have never liked the Ruger factory scope rings. They seem to be praised by gunwriters for some reason. I can see how in theory it is a better system since it does not require a base.

Problem is, they are poorly cast, not machined. Therefore...they are not even close to being round, or symmetrical. Most people wouldn't notice this though. They slap a scope in there, crank it down and potentially ruin a good scope. The real eye opener is when you lap them.

I lapped a set last night hoping to get good results. They were the worst set I have ever had. I was probably getting 20% contact on the front ring, and literally 5% on the rear prior to lapping. I had to lap them so far that I had to mill down the tabs on the side so that they would fit tight on my scope. Then I marked the inside of the top ring, test fit it, and then removed the top to see the top ring is making contact probably in a strip 1/8" wide. So, I said F it, and ordered a set of Burris today.

Why can't Ruger machine these or do a better job of casting them? Certainly I am not the only one to notice this. Of course, most people probably don't lap their rings, so they wouldn't know just how bad they are.

Thanks

This is a shot in the dark, but...

Wondering if anyone owns a Leer topper, and if their key happens to be numbered "H705D". (it is stamped next to the keyhole on the hatch).

I have tried to get a key for mine since October 2006, and all the dealers keep saying they are backordered! Hoping someone would have a topper that uses that key number, so I could buy a copy off them. I have called three Leer dealers, and even emailed Leer themselves and go not reponse. And Leer does not provide a phone number that gets you to them directly.

Thanks!

PS> if you don't own a Leer, don't buy one

I cannot believe you got a free barrel. When Pacnor screwed mine up, I had to send it back, and get back on the waiting list.

So, while everyone else was out partying with strippers and having a good time last night, I decided to do some loading of my 223AI.

I always set my die to a dummy round, then load one fine tuning the bullet depth to match my specs. So I loaded the first two and they were perfect, then I loaded one and noticed the bullet looked way deeper. I measured it and it was .015" deeper than the first two. So i checked, and eveything was tight and all was OK. So I backed off the seater, and reset the die. Loaded one, and it was fine. Loaded another and it was again .015" deeper! I measure both off the tip, and ogive. The bullets were all uniform.

I finally figured out the seater, which is supposed to be freefloating in the LEE, was binding up. When it didn't bind, the seater would float all the way up. When it binded it was stopping .015" short. I took it all apart and can not figure out why it is doing this. There does seem to be a little lip in the adjustment cap, and I think the seater is hitting this.

Anyone had these experiences before? I am going to have to drop the money on a Redding competition seater. I loaded 24 rounds last night, and ten were seated to deep. Probably took me an hour just to load the 14, after i charged them, because I had to keep adjusting the seater. What an end to a crappy year!

First time I shot my custom 7-08, it misfired 5 out of 25 shells. I was hoping it was just bad primers. I got some new primers and took it to the range today. Had one misfire out of 20 shots.

So far, gun has been shot 45 times, with 6 misfires. I was so pissed the first time, that I foolishly pulled the bullets, and tossed the dud cases. I saved the one from today, and it is obviously a light primer strike.

So, does this mean a faulty striking mechanism, or a headspace issue?

I yanked the striking mechanism today, and it is clean, with a light coat of grease. I swabbed the interior of the bolt, and there was no debris. I also did not see any debris packed into the coil spring.

I measured the shoulders on my loaded rounds (virgin brass), compared to my dummy rounds, and fired rounds. The dummy round, and the loaded round are the same. And the unfired case's shoulder was .002" shorter than the fired case. Does that sound right?

Primers and brass are both Winchester.

I went all out on this build. The bolt was double sleeved, and the pin was turned, and the firing pin hole bushed. This was suppose to give more consistent ignition.

Any ideas what might be the problem? I am taking it back to the smith regardless, but I figured I would see what everyone thought, then hopefully tell everyone the answer to the mystery when it is fixed.

I have never had misfires in any of my guns until this one. And 6 out of 45 is just not good enough odds to me to have confidence in this gun when I am hunting.

I have a brand new Ruger M77 in a walnut stock. This gun has not even been fired yet. I bought a Timney trigger and wanted to install it. I could only get the two back screws out, the angled screw won't budge!

I have heated it, soaked it in PB Blaster and nothing. I even tried a screwdriver tip in my socket wrench and it won't budge.

The F****** thing made me screw up the stock tonight. I had it in the vise and was leaning on it pretty hard and it slipped and dinged up the walnut on both sides of the stock!

I am calling Ruger on Tuesday and asking them if I can send it back. I want the screw removed, and I want a new stock. What do you think???

I am so pissed right now at that thing. Only thing I can think is they got some glue or something in the threads.

I was wondering what the consensus is on these Butler Creek flip open scope caps. I bought one objective cover for a Burris scope today, and of course it was too big. But one thing I did notice is that it didn't really flip open much, it kind of sticks and then it finally goes, but the spring doesn't do much.

I bought the black one. Now that I have to exchange it, wondering if I should check out the clear or yellow ones? Or if none of them are worth the money.

What the hell did I do in my last life to deserve this kind of headache!

I got a replacement scope in the mail from Zeiss for that jacked up Conquest that I ordered. It is brand new...AND, THEY SENT ME THE WRONG DAMN RETICLE! Son of a bitch, this scope is going to cost me $500 by the time I am done mailing it back and forth. I give up. I sent them a #4 German reticle, and they sent me back a standard plex.

I would like to thank Zeiss and the retailer for the headaches, and loss of shipping costs, and trips to Fedex.

I installed the Rifle Basix trigger tonight in my M700. What a pain in the ass! LOL

You out to just throw the direction in the trash because they are worthless. There was nothing in the directions about taking off the safety gizmo from the old trigger. I have never worked on a M700 trigger before, so I did not know there was a little ball bearing in there that decided to go flying. Took me 15 minutes to find it with a flashlight under my workbench (pure luck).

Then, I was trying to put the safety gizmo on the new trigger and that little clip was a pain to get seated. I about had it until it decided to go airborne too. Finally found it in a spider web, being guarded by a nasty spider. So, out came the brake cleaner. Zapped the spider and in the process I wiped out most of my brain cells. Had to turn on the fan and open the garage door to air the place out.

I need to send in a Leupold scope for repair. The power ring takes a gorilla to turn it. Was going to box it up tonight and read on their website that you have to include a $15 payment for shipping and handling. What gives?

Been loading up some ammo for my 204 Ruger. I did something really stupid, I accidentally was seating them in my 223AI die. It worked fine, but once I realized what I had done, I checked the OAL and they varied quite a bit. I thought it must have been because of my stupid mistake.

So...I decided to load up some new ammo with the right dies. I again was getting very inconsistent OAL. I then measured some bullets and they varied as much as .010". And that is a lot considering they have the plastic tip and are only a 20 cal, 32gr bullet.

I measured off the ogive and they were all about the same. The bullets were so far off round to round that I could never decide what my true OAL was. Some would be below the 2.260 max, and some would be 2.270. There is plenty of length in my mag, and about a foot of freebore, but it is still annoying. Especially since Sierra states their OAL was 2.250. Wonder how they came up with that figure, LOL.

OK, so I called Sierra today and the guy was a total dick. I was really nice and even mentioned how much I like their bullets before asking him about the variances in length. The guy got mad and told me I don't know much about reloading if I think OAL matters!

I told him I understood bullet jump, measuring off the ogive etc. I just thought it was odd since all the other Sierra products were consistent in both ogive and OAL. I even told him I was not trying to insult them and really like their bullets, I was just wondering if I got a bad batch etc.

He then replied I was getting into an arguement I was not going to win! I really don't know what his problem was. He kept saying if I knew how to handload, then I would know that OAL does not matter, and I wouldn't be hung up on it. I then asked how in the hell did they come up with the OAL length they published if every round varied as much as .010"? He finally said they just loaded up the first round, it happened to be 2.250 and then didn't touch the seater for the rest of the loads, and didn't measure them either. So then I asked why even publish an OAL figure at all if it only applied to one round? He had no answer. He also told me Sierra does not care about bullet length and they only design their bullets to be the same diameter, weight and jacket thickness.

I finally got tired of talking to him and just ended the conversation. God I wish Nosler made a 32gr. Looks like I am going to have to try Hornady just out of principle. Probably give the Berger 35's a try too.

I ordered one for a Ruger, and it was sent with the wrong allen wrench. I called Timney and they told me a new one was on the way. I never got it. I went to Sears and found the right size.

Then I ordered another one for another Ruger a few months later, and it too came with the wrong wrench. At least I purchased the right one myself so it was not an issue, still bad control on their part.

Just got my first set of Talley Lightweights in the mail yesterday. Everything looked good until I noticed the scope doesn't sit all the way in the rings. I would say just from eyeing it, that it stops 1/16" from the bottom of the ring. The rings are too tight. I tried a Nikon, Weaver, and Pentax and all of them fit the same, so I know it is the scope. Am I supposed to lap the piss out of these things? Any suggestions before I ship yet another defective product back?

Maybe I was meant to use iron sights, LOL. First that crappy Zeiss, now these rings.

I attempted to buy a Zeiss Conquest three times. First scope that was sent to me had a faulty reticle. Had to send it back. Then Zeiss sent me a new one, but the wrong model, and I had to send it back. Finally the third one arrived...correct model, correct reticle, but this one had a large black spec stuck to the inside of the lense. Crappy quality control if you ask me. I will admit, the view was bright and clear, but that scope ended up costing me $40 in return shipping all for nothing, finally got the purchase price back, and moved on.

See a trend?

Sometimes it's safer to stay under the covers with the flashlight and some extra batteries.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Zero with a turret? - 02/22/11

Since "zero" is a floating concept on a turret-equipped scope, I keep life simple and run a 100-yard nominal zero.

This makes it easier to check it if necessary (I have a 100-yard range on my property), and of course if I'd rather be running (say) 2" high at 100 yards for a MPBR-type setup, it's easy enough too dial up 8 clicks on the turret.

For most purposes around HERE, I prefer to just leave things mechanically zeroed at 100 yards anyway, to keep the bullet as close to the line of sight as possible in the thicker stuff. But that is just me optimizing for the conditions. When I hunt over east (Oregon) I click up to a 200-yard zero... usually...
Posted By: clark98ut Re: Zero with a turret? - 02/22/11
Scott,

You forgot this gem when someone asked about a Minox ZA5...

I believe the ZA5 scope took almost last place in the 2010 Outdoor Life Optics test. Not sure of the significance, but...

Originally Posted by skywalker
If you believe that test, I have some ocean front property I will sale you.....

Why do people always assume gunwriters are dishonest? They had five guys testing and giving opinions.

They did ranked Swaro 1st, Weaver Super Slam 2nd, 3rd was Kahles, 4th was Meopta, 5th was Zeiss. Those results don't seem suspect to me...

Of course Skywalker asked him twice if he'd ever used one and he never answered.
© 24hourcampfire