Home
Is there a replacement ring for the gold ring on Leupold scopes? I love my Leupolds but it just doesn't look right with some rifle and barrel combinations. I was even thinking about finding some kind of marker to cover it. Thanks.
Posted By: KDF Re: Leupold Stupid Question?? - 03/26/11
Throw some Butler Creek flip-ups on there and the gold ring won't bother you anymore.

Originally Posted by KDF
Throw some Butler Creek flip-ups on there and the gold ring won't bother you anymore.

I have some and hate them. Looking for a better solution.
Posted By: raybass Re: Leupold Stupid Question?? - 03/26/11
Leupold makes some. Kinda pricey though.
Originally Posted by raybass
Leupold makes some. Kinda pricey though.

They make replacement rings or scopes without the gold rings?
Posted By: KDK Re: Leupold Stupid Question?? - 03/26/11
There's always Mark 4s.
Posted By: raybass Re: Leupold Stupid Question?? - 03/26/11
Flip up caps. Like KDK said there are the Mark 4's. I don't think they have any kind of ring to replace the gold one.
Leupold Custom Shop 1-800-Leupold or 1-503-526-1400
or
Black paint pens will work. I would rather have Cerakoted when doing other parts like rings/bases, swivles, bottom metal, etc. A silver ring is nice on a stainless rig too.
Thanks USP, I'll give them a call Monday.
Posted By: Bruzer Re: Leupold Stupid Question?? - 03/26/11
Here you go....

1) Screw off the end cap on the objective. (The Gold Ring is simply a spacer between the Objective Cap and the Main Tube of the scope)

2) pull off the "Gold Ring"

3) A few blasts from Krylon Flat Black on just the Ring

4) Reassemble...that way IF you get ready to sell you just pull it back off and clean off the Krylon....Gold Ring is back.

Simple.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by COLORADO_LUCKYDOG
Originally Posted by KDF

I'm with you on hating the Butler Creek flip up scope covers. I don't know why someone can't just manufacture some aftermarket see through bikini type scope covers like come one swarovski's and schmidt & benders. I guess it makes too much sense to have a scope cover with a plastic lens that you can actually see through without taking off the cover.
Originally Posted by COLORADO_LUCKYDOG
Originally Posted by KDF

What specifically do you hate about them? They're fairly self explanatory.
Posted By: Tom264 Re: Leupold Stupid Question?? - 03/26/11
The "golden ring" is what is a Leupolds identity.....why would one want to get rid of it?

crazy
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Leupold Stupid Question?? - 03/26/11
If the gold ring bothers you that much, how do you react when you scratch/ding said rifle or scope?

However, it is your property and you should do as you feel..

I don't know why Bruzer had to go and make it so simple, Where's the challenge in that? (grin).
Posted By: mathman Re: Leupold Stupid Question?? - 03/26/11
I guess it makes too much sense to have a scope cover with a plastic lens that you can actually see through without taking off the cover.

Yeah, I dropped the change for my Swaros so I could enjoy the view through a piece of plastic. grin
Originally Posted by Kenneth

I don't know why Bruzer had to go and make it so simple, Where's the challenge in that? (grin).

Habit smile

I pulled my daughter's ring off and sprayed it in Day Glow PINK and did the caps as well....She loves it.

Bruz
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Leupold Stupid Question?? - 03/26/11
Originally Posted by Bruzer
sparayed

and then ya had to go an' complicate thangs. wink
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Leupold Stupid Question?? - 03/26/11
Just when we where thinking how smart he is,

Still trying to figure the "pulled my daughter" part.

A little early for drinking buddy. smile
Originally Posted by Tom264
The "golden ring" is what is a Leupolds identity.....why would one want to get rid of it?

crazy

Not the case with the gold trigger on Brownings.
Posted By: MagMarc Re: Leupold Stupid Question?? - 03/26/11
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
sparayed

At least it won't have puppies laugh
A typo and stupidity are 2 completely different things:)

That's what I get fer tring ta Teyep on a iPhone smile

Bruz

So.....I want to inlay rubies on my Leupold--I think it'll go great with my gold lame' clad stock. Do you have any tricks to fit the rubies on the scope?............

wink
Originally Posted by MagMarc
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
sparayed

At least it won't have puppies laugh

smile
Posted By: Rug3 Re: Leupold Stupid Question?? - 03/26/11
Marine Tex
Posted By: JBGQUICK Re: Leupold Stupid Question?? - 03/26/11
paint your gun
Originally Posted by mathman
I guess it makes too much sense to have a scope cover with a plastic lens that you can actually see through without taking off the cover.

Yeah, I dropped the change for my Swaros so I could enjoy the view through a piece of plastic. grin

Not to state the obvious, but the clear plastic is there so you can see through it when a critter jumps up 20' in front of you and you don't have time to take off the scope covers. You can spend the 5 seconds you have to get off a shot by aiming and shooting or you can spend it fiddling around taking off the covers or grabbing for those goofy flip up cover buttons.

It's unfortunate that you have to spend $1600 on a scope to get scope covers that are actually useful.
Posted By: mathman Re: Leupold Stupid Question?? - 03/27/11
Not to state the obvious, but the clear plastic is there so you can see through it when a critter jumps up 20' in front of you and you don't have time to take off the scope covers.

Even in that situation I wouldn't want to be looking through the covers of my Z5. The scope is kick-ass, the covers not so much.
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Leupold Stupid Question?? - 03/27/11
I dont know about anyone else, but, I can have the Butler Creek's open in maybe a second. I believe you can too. One second is not a factor.
If a man can't grasp the mechanical subtleties of a set of BC scope covers I worry about his prowess with a deadly weapon.

My hands operate 'em automatically with no high level gray matter involvement necessary.
Posted By: mathman Re: Leupold Stupid Question?? - 03/27/11
I have BC on all my Leupolds.
I have BC on all my Leupolds.

That's a winning combo.
Here you go....

1) Screw off the end cap on the objective. (The Gold Ring is simply a spacer between the Objective Cap and the Main Tube of the scope)

4) Reassemble...that way IF you get ready to sell you just pull it back off and clean off the Krylon....Gold Ring is back.

Simple.

[Linked Image]

How hard are they to get off?? Okay that really didn't come out right but you know what I meant..
Depends on your grip.;)
Posted By: Bruzer Re: Leupold Stupid Question?? - 03/27/11
Originally Posted by summitsitter
Here you go....

Simple.

[Linked Image]

How hard are they to get off?? Okay that really didn't come out right but you know what I meant..

This is how I change Parallax on my scopes...Some are tighter than others:)

I just wrap tape around the end until it creates a hand hold and twist them off.

Bruz
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

Not to state the obvious, but the clear plastic is there so you can see through it when a critter jumps up 20' in front of you and you don't have time to take off the scope covers. You can spend the 5 seconds you have to get off a shot by aiming and shooting or you can spend it fiddling around taking off the covers or grabbing for those goofy flip up cover buttons.

It's unfortunate that you have to spend $1600 on a scope to get scope covers that are actually useful.

That is funny. I bought a Tasco ten years ago for less than $100 and it came with see through lens covers.
Posted By: Rug3 Re: Leupold Stupid Question?? - 03/27/11
WOE! "Change Parallax"
Tell me about that.
Please.

Jim

Wait, I don't want to hijack this. Another post?

Jim
Jim

See below.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...anging_Parallax_On_a_Non_AO_#Post4864085

Robert
COLORADO_LUCKYDOG: It takes all kinds - I guess!
I actually thought your post was an attempt at a joke or a hoax when I first read it.
I mean of all the proprietary "markings", accents and emblems in the WORLD "I" think the Leupold Gold Ring is one of the best looking, most distinctive and most attractive of all of them!
Like I say it takes all kinds - and if you don't like the Leupold Gold Ring so much that you are willing to disassemble your scope to remove or hide it then best of luck to ya.
I was thinking that you could use a "Sharpie" style "permanent" marker to change the Gold Ring to a black ring.
Then if you were to ever sell your Leupold scopes I am sure some solvent would eventually remove the ink - so the prospective buyers would see (and most likely appreciate) the very distinctive and VERY ATTRACTIVE Gold Ring.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy

Like I say it takes all kinds - and if you don't like the Leupold Gold Ring so much that you are willing to disassemble your scope to remove or hide it then best of luck to ya.

No "Luck" required...Twist Off...Twist On....Pretty basic.

Robert
Posted By: KDK Re: Leupold Stupid Question?? - 03/27/11
Wow. I can't imagine somebody getting their panties in a wad about somebody else's Gold Ring being toned down.
© 24hourcampfire