Home
I decided on some talley lightweigts to mount my Zeiss on a winchester. Based on all the rave reviews I've seen, these rings are supposed to be top-notch. Well, I went to seat my scope in (before tightening screws) and the scope tube does not even touch the bottom of the rings on both rings (ring caps also do not touch scope. The only place where the rings touch is on the sides. The damn ring holes are oval shaped. I am utterly confused. Is this normal for Talleys, or am I losing my mind?

Normal. You can push the scope down to seat in the rings with your fingers....or at least I can. Just get it right and tighten the screws and you're good to go. Don't worry.....you got the best!

Normal in my experience. Noticed same thing when i mounted a scope a few weeks back in talley LWs. They tightened down just fine and the gun shoots great
That's been the norm for me as well on 5 sets I've used.
Okay, whew, thought I had some lemons there. They seem to seat fine now. Though I noticed when I put my alignment bars in, the rear base is a smidgeon higher than the front base, should I lap to correct that?
Notice there's nothing "composite" holding the lenses in place... just like their bino's, which isn't something that can be said of the other biggies.

Leica Bin's have a well-earned reputation for durability for a reason...
I don't like them at all. I can't believe so many guys like them. Warne rings are far better and don't even mark your scope.You should not have to push a scope down into a set of rings..
Originally Posted by highridge1
I don't like them at all. I can't believe so many guys like them. Warne rings are far better and don't even mark your scope.You should not have to push a scope down into a set of rings..

Different strokes and I'd agree with you if the Talley Ltwts were steel. I guess they give a little and I've never had a problem with them and have maybe 8 sets mounted and have used them quite a bit. What problems did you have with them??
I really like the way warne rings look, however they destroyed a scope of mine. I tightened the rings using Warne's preset torque wrench and both rings dented my scope. This was using their vertical split rings and going off their recommended torque settings. I want to give them a try again though, just afraid to ruin another scope..
I like the Talleys. Light and strong as heck!
I just finished lapping my Talley's. Definately helped with vertical alignment. 20 in/lb torque on the base screws and 15 in/lb on the ring screws with a fat wrench, is that about the right torque?
Originally Posted by cromerobbins
I just finished lapping my Talley's. Definately helped with vertical alignment. 20 in/lb torque on the base screws and 15 in/lb on the ring screws with a fat wrench, is that about the right torque?

Not sure on the torque, but I'm glad they worked out for you and I hope you like them. If you don't get an answer here, you can call Talley tomorrow. They have answered a few questions for me and even allowed me to trade some new rings that were wrong for my application for the right rings.....and I didn't buy the original rings from them. They're a great company.

Welcome to the campfire, by the way.
I lap my Talleys. Talleys are good if you are going for weight, but I still feel the Burris Signatures are the best rings out there otherwise. No need to lap, true scope alignment, no ring marks.
I have the Talley QR rings on my 500 Jeffery. They have held up to over 400 rounds of full power loads (570 TSX at from 2300 to 2410 fps) been on and off the rifle a dozen times, and always come back to within 1/2 MOA. Not much to complain about on my end, but then again, I have the QR rings not the lightweight alloy ones.
I too am a big fan of Talley steel scope mounts(fixed as well as quick release) and I agree that the company has stellar customer service.

However, I'm not terribly impressed with their lightweight mounts. I find, that the light weights(because of the fact that the scope tube doesn't fit flush in the bottom of the rings until you begin tightening screws) do tend to leave unsightly ring marks(indentations)on the scope tube.

Seems to me that most using the lightweight Talleys are trying to cut every last ounce they can off their already lightweight rig. I've never been of the opinion that a scoped rifle in the 7 to 7 & 1/2 lb weight class was heavy or cumbersome to pack around while hunting; whether that meant a half mile hike to a deerstand or ten miles a day on foot chasing elk in the high country. So, I have no use for their lightweights; lots of folks like them though.

Leftybolt

From Talley:

25inlbs on the base and 18inlbs on the cap screws

Talley Manufacturing, Inc.
9183 Old Number Six Highway
PO Box 369
Santee, SC 29142
USA
I've read, "don't lap Talley LW's!"...

I try not to overthink them. Are they gorgeous examples of old-world craftsmanship, perfect in form and function, beyond reproach? No. But they are very light, very strong, as simple as is possible, and have been the most "low drama" rings I personally have used.

I've sold several scopes here on the Fire that had been mounted in Talkey LW's. I haven't seen them leave a mark yet.

I have some Warne rings, pretty sure they are Warne, that you have to "snap" the top ring down over the tube. Gives me the heebie jeebies every time.
Based on all the rave reviews I've seen, these rings are supposed to be top-notch.

They are top notch of the $40 ring sets. But, that's as far as it goes.
Talley LW, my preference.

Jim
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Based on all the rave reviews I've seen, these rings are supposed to be top-notch.

No offense...but what else do you need?

Originally Posted by 257heaven

I prefer vertical split rings that are removable and return to zero. This allows me to remove my scope for cleaning the rifle, or shipping the rifle or traveling with the rifle. Can't do so with the one piece setup like the lightweights.
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I lap my Talleys. Talleys are good if you are going for weight, but I still feel the Burris Signatures are the best rings out there otherwise. No need to lap, true scope alignment, no ring marks.

I also lap my Talley LW's and think Burris has the best set-up. good post
Originally Posted by 257heaven

I prefer vertical split rings that are removable and return to zero. This allows me to remove my scope for cleaning the rifle, or shipping the rifle or traveling with the rifle. Can't do so with the one piece setup like the lightweights.

I've never had a need for that, but the Talley Ltwts are definitely not the rings for that use.

Originally Posted by leftybolt
I find, that the light weights(because of the fact that the scope tube doesn't fit flush in the bottom of the rings until you begin tightening screws) do tend to leave unsightly ring marks(indentations)on the scope tube.
Leftybolt

I don't know about anyone else, but every single set of Ruger rings I've owned do this. The scope practically snaps into the well. A guarantee for scratches for every scope I've owned aside from the Conquest; their anodized holds up pretty well.
Ruger rings are the reason I learned to lap rings. They are terrible for leaving ringmarks or in my case, a dented tube.

Better yet Ruger insists you don't lap their rings. They don't care if they *&^% up your scope...just don't lap the rings....LMAO!
I love my Talleys - no complaints here and never had a failure.
Originally Posted by kcTbear
Originally Posted by leftybolt
I find, that the light weights(because of the fact that the scope tube doesn't fit flush in the bottom of the rings until you begin tightening screws) do tend to leave unsightly ring marks(indentations)on the scope tube.
Leftybolt

I don't know about anyone else, but every single set of Ruger rings I've owned do this. The scope practically snaps into the well. A guarantee for scratches for every scope I've owned aside from the Conquest; their anodized holds up pretty well.

Yep - a learning experience for me. I have mounted and unmounted probably 25 scopes in my time using Leupold rings mostly. Don't recall finding a ring mark on any scope I've removed. This w/e had to remove a new Minox scope purchased here on the fire (there's another story there - loose eyepiece - point of aim shift, etc.). I had it mounted in Talley Lightweights that are almost universally praised wherever you look. Upon removal of the scope I found not only ring marks but actual dents in the tube - 4 of them - 1 near each ring gap. As mentioned above, I'm not new to this. I use scope alignment bars that should point out any massive problems with the rings or the receiver mounting holes. I used a Wheeler Engineering FAT to tighten the ring caps to 15-20 inch/lbs. Although I don't remember having to push the scope down into the bottom halves of the rings, I do remember the bottom of the ring "grabbing" the scope. When I go to pack the scope in the original box I find a warning about overtightening scope rings voiding the Minox warranty !?!?! Anyway, I've contacted Talley via their website describing my concerns but after reading some of the posts here it seems like a known issue. Is this just part of the joy of using Talley rings?
Melvin Forbes designed these rings and sold the rights to talley so he has used this style ring since nulas inception
I have used them countless times and switched scopes back and forth and never had one scratch or dent a scope tube but ther is always a first.

gene
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
I have some Warne rings, pretty sure they are Warne, that you have to "snap" the top ring down over the tube. Gives me the heebie jeebies every time.

Are they Leupold QRW or PRW?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

All my Warne rings are like these, quick release and permanent shown:

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by gene270
Melvin Forbes designed these rings and sold the rights to talley so he has used this style ring since nulas inception
I have used them countless times and switched scopes back and forth and never had one scratch or dent a scope tube but ther is always a first.

gene

Gene do you lap these before mounting your scopes. I never have. It's almost like the sharp inside corners of either the ring caps or the lower rings dug into the scope tube. Maybe lapping off those corners is the answer. I really like the design of these things and I don't want to ditch them if there is a relatively easy fix for this.
I own 6 sets of Talley LW and I have lapped every one of them. They are light, strong, reasonably priced and have never messed up one of my scopes or let me down. Also Talley customer service is top notch.
Originally Posted by jmp300wsm
I own 6 sets of Talley LW and I have lapped every one of them. They are light, strong, reasonably priced and have never messed up one of my scopes or let me down. Also Talley customer service is top notch.

How much lapping are we talking about - going for high percentage contact between inside of the rings and the scope tube or just knocking off the sharp edges?
I lapped a pair just the other day, ended up getting at least 80 percent contact and still had plenty of gap when I torqued them down..
Is there a special compound you use when lapping aluminum rings? I've been lapping Talley LWs with my Wheeler kit with good success, but I've heard others say to use a different non-embedding compound with aluminum.
I use the wheeler kit also..
Originally Posted by releehweoj
Originally Posted by jmp300wsm

How much lapping are we talking about - going for high percentage contact between inside of the rings and the scope tube or just knocking off the sharp edges?

I have had to lap every single pair of these rings that I have mounted.. I want the scope tube to sit in the rings perfectly without a gap without having to use force .

I always lap every set, and also radius the edges so they don't dig into the scope:

[Linked Image]
I find very few rings that don't benefit from lapping.
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I find very few rings that don't benefit from lapping.

+1
What do you use to radius the edges?
Originally Posted by highridge1

X2. They will scratch a new scope. For the price they cost I'm not impressed at all.
For the price they're about as inexpensive as anything I've seen.....?

I like them and is all I have on any rifle. Well except one rig that has talley cross bone tactical style rings and 20moa rail
Originally Posted by JRE11
What do you use to radius the edges?

Dremel and a file.
A high quality steel alternative is the S&K. I use both S&K's and Talley's with complete satisfaction.
Thanks for the Dremel tip. Do you use anything special to clean off the lapping compound? I usually wipe with a paper towel then go over them with a Q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol. Seems to take a while to get them cleaned up.
I have never had to lap them and Melvin doesn't lap them either when he sends them with his nula rifles,

I am wandering if some of the problems people are having with scratches and dent maybe due to action screw holes not in line with each other in the action

gene
I've never lapped any other rings I've used before. Here are some pics I sent to Talley today. These are not great resolution but I think you can see the "banding" on the tube and for sure can see the marks left fore and aft on each side of the tube. The ring caps were torqued to between 15 and 20 inch/lbs with a Wheeler Engineering FAT that I believe is functioning properly. Their alignment was checked with the Wheeler alignment bars - not that there is anyway to adjust the alignment. Gene if there were alignment problems I would think that the marks on the scope tube would not be uniform, in other words marks on aft left and fore right only, not on both sides fore and aft.

I did check the rings for sharp edges and burs - found nothing remarkable. Certainly did not see any edge that needed to be eased.

Scope damage pics

Perhaps the scope tube is a bit big? Its just as likely as the rings being too small. I have yet to have an issue with Talleys causing damage.
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

Are they Leupold QRW or PRW?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

All my Warne rings are like these, quick release and permanent shown:

[Linked Image]

Wow, this thread is a blast from the past.

MM, they are indeed the QRW's as pictured up top. They currently hold a 2-7 Burris on riser blocks on my Bushy M4'gery.
Originally Posted by JRE11
Do you use anything special to clean off the lapping compound? I usually wipe with a paper towel then go over them with a Q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol. Seems to take a while to get them cleaned up.

I use a paper towel to get the majority off, then wrap a shop rag around the bottom of the ring and hit it with Brakleen. Also, prior to lapping, I'll roll up a small wad of paper towel, and stuff it in the screw recess to keep out the lapping compound.
Originally Posted by liliysdad
Perhaps the scope tube is a bit big? Its just as likely as the rings being too small. I have yet to have an issue with Talleys causing damage.

I suppose the tube could be oversized. I don't have an instrument that can measure the diameter. Anyway, it's on its way to Minox for repair of a loose eyepiece. I could ask them to look at that too.
Talleys look good and keep you rifle shooting where you are pointing it. I don't use anything else
Were you a fan of Ancient History in school? grin
Yes still am. Reading"Patton. A genius for war"
I’m thinking about buying a rifle that has Talley lightweights on it. Do most people still like them or should I change to Talley bases and split rings?
Originally Posted by Swampman700
I like the Talleys. Light and strong as heck!

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/16027018/3

Statement below is just copied from my post to the thread I linked to above. On page 3 I posted a picture of a set I had that cracked.

I had 6 sets in service at one point. Had the top strap crack around one of the ring screws on a Weatherby ULW in 7mm Wby. Gun was never dropped or exposed to particularly heavy field use as I had other rigs I liked better, and round count on it was relatively low at time of failure - likely less than 500. Scope was a Leupold 4.5-14 - so not a heavy scope, either. Screws were torqued to spec. Around the same time, a good friend had the exact same thing happen on a 300 WSM. I still have 2 sets on lighter recoilers with smaller scopes that don't see a ton of use, but I haven't used them on a new set up in a few years. They look nice, but there's many, much more robust options out there.

The fact that they are egg shaped is designed in. Some lap them to take that out, but IIRC, it states right on the package that they're not supposed to be lapped. Based on where most sets seem to fail, I feel that the egg shape that is meant to be pushed round by the scope is just a poor design; places too much stress on the area in which the threads slim down to thinner material. Also, they have a tendency to leave marks in the scope finish. Not that this is a huge deal for funtionality, but it's irksome.
I have Talley LW on several rifles. They are all relatively lightweight rifles with relatively lightweight scopes and none of the rifles kick any more than a 30-06. On a heavy recoiling rifle with a big scope they may not be the best option but I have never had any problems with any of mine.
© 24hourcampfire