Home
Posted By: VAnimrod Broke another scope - 06/06/11
10/22 ate a Pentax Gameseeker 6x42.

Broke the reticle, and the elevation adjustment kept crawling upward.

Scope was a known, as it had lived on a .223 for several years, and held true.
Posted By: Bigbuck215 Re: Broke another scope - 06/06/11
Them 10/22s is beyond wicked.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Broke another scope - 06/06/11
A Swift 4x has been darn good on my 10/22... few thousand rounds...
Posted By: Jamie Re: Broke another scope - 06/06/11
I've hear that 10/22's are hard on scopes, guess I've just been lucky. I've used some cheap glass on 10/22's without anything coming apart.
Posted By: jim62 Re: Broke another scope - 06/06/11
The Ruger 10-/22 can have some serious "snap" to the recoil due to the bolt smacking into the hardened steel action pin at the back.

I wonder if going with a urethane bolt buffer in place of that would help soften that recoil snap and save a few scopes??
Posted By: EddyBo Re: Broke another scope - 06/06/11
Originally Posted by jim62
The Ruger 10-/22 can have some serious "snap" to the recoil due to the bolt smacking into the hardened steel action pin at the back.

I wonder if going with a urethane bolt buffer in place of that would help soften that recoil snap and save a few scopes??

I do not know if it lessens the "snap" you describe but a delrin buffer will lessen the noise substantially. The action of a suppressed 10/22 makes more noise than the report of the shot.
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: Broke another scope - 06/06/11
Don't know...

Do know that I'll need a new scope on that one, and a bunch more magazines...and the Marlin 60 will be getting some use soon.

Spent a few hours shooting ground squirrels (sage rats/grey diggers) with safariman and later a couple of his friends...never figured you could kill several hundred varmints in 1/4 to 1/2 acre of ground (longest shots were sub-175), and still be able to come back and do it again any time you wanted to.

Lost count of dead 'rats at well over 200, and there were a considerable sum smoked after that.

Having to re-adjust the elevation every so often was a clue that something was amiss. When the crosshair broke and angled down on the right-side toward the first stadia, it was pretty apparent that the scope was done.

Prior to, and when the elevation was holding, the glass was plenty good and the stadia lines made quick hits possible out to 150ish.
Posted By: safariman Re: Broke another scope - 06/06/11
Originally Posted by Jamie
I've hear that 10/22's are hard on scopes, guess I've just been lucky. I've used some cheap glass on 10/22's without anything coming apart.

Yeah, they and most any recoil operated semi auto 22 to a degree, but 10'22's will REALLY tear 'em up.

We did tear up some ground squirrel today... smile
Posted By: Ringman Re: Broke another scope - 06/06/11
I must get all the good Tascos. My 10/22 has a 4-16X Tasco which has been on there many years. Like VA, I have killed hundreds in a day and gone back the next day and repeated.

maybe if I want to break a scope need to switch to a fixed power. smile
Posted By: Urban_Redneck Re: Broke another scope - 06/06/11
I never realized how "loud" a 10/22 was 'til I installed a delrin buffer in mine. 2500+ rounds on the B&L 4-16x50(AO) and still going strong.

Posted By: Labman95 Re: Broke another scope - 06/06/11
I guess those 10/22's are tought on scopes. Never thought about that until one broke the reticle on my Leupold M8-3X. That scope had been on a variety of rifles including a .375 H&H and a 416 Rigby, but the 10/22 did it in. Of course Leupold fixed things for free.
Posted By: MagMarc Re: Broke another scope - 06/06/11
Well at least you're in the killin fields wink
Dude, you wouldn't have believe it.

Heck, I didn't really believe it, and I was in it.
Wish I was there!
Posted By: ingwe Re: Broke another scope - 06/06/11
You dudes oughta try that stuff with a good 17 hummer or a centerfire.... whistle

Body count goes wayyyyyyyy up.... grin
Flying rodents are Da Bomb laugh
Didn't need a centerfire or a .17HMR. (Safariman had the centerfires covered, BTW).

Simple needed a scope that didn't go communist on me...

Oh, and belt feed would have been nice... wink grin
And, yeah, a 36 grain Varmint Grenade via a .223 can/will give impressive launch capabilities. Did a couple like that, safariman did quite a few (if you caught his chuckle fast enough, you could catch the aerials even if you didn't see the hit).

His friend/pastor's 15-year-old daughter managed a few aerials, and seemed to be getting the hang of "separation launches" (multiple pieces, different directions).

Said pastor was purely lethal with the .22LR, and I simple enjoyed the multiple target acquisition capability and the rapid target engagement possibilities of the semi-.22.

Need a scope that'll hold up, preferably with a ballistic reticle or dots, and SO gonna do that again...often.
Posted By: gorskij Re: Broke another scope - 06/06/11
Originally Posted by Labman95
I guess those 10/22's are tough on scopes. Never thought about that until one broke the reticle on my Leupold M8-3X. That scope had been on a variety of rifles including a .375 H&H and a 416 Rigby, but the 10/22 did it in. Of course Leupold fixed things for free.

Im sure the 416 worked things loose. grin
Posted By: safariman Re: Broke another scope - 06/06/11
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
And, yeah, a 36 grain Varmint Grenade via a .223 can/will give impressive launch capabilities. Did a couple like that, safariman did quite a few (if you caught his chuckle fast enough, you could catch the aerials even if you didn't see the hit).

His friend/pastor's 15-year-old daughter managed a few aerials, and seemed to be getting the hang of "separation launches" (multiple pieces, different directions).

Said pastor was purely lethal with the .22LR, and I simple enjoyed the multiple target acquisition capability and the rapid target engagement possibilities of the semi-.22.

Need a scope that'll hold up, preferably with a ballistic reticle or dots, and SO gonna do that again...often.

Hooked! smile addictive, ain't it?
Yep.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Broke another scope - 06/06/11
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
Them 10/22s is beyond wicked.

Yes they are.....broke my Leupold M8 6x twice.
Ah, schit....

We'll have the wrath of E now.
Posted By: Oregon45 Re: Broke another scope - 06/06/11
I hear Leupold's on 10/22's only break if improperly focused. Something about the way in which the number of exposed threads on the eyepiece end of the scope tube affects the harmonics of the reciprocating action... laugh
Must be heat-expansion.

Reckon if a stock with a magic, physics-defying bedding block were used that it's offset the wickedness of the harmonics and heat-tranfer enough to tame the "beast"?
Its an eyebox issue whistle
Posted By: slowr1der Re: Broke another scope - 06/06/11
I'm surprised to hear of these stories of them all breaking. I used a Simmons Deerfield 3-9x32 on one for years and it took tons of abuse and still worked great. I dropped it quite a few times, etc. I'd have thought if cheap stuff like that would have broken if more expensive ones are.

That being said, a Burris Fullfield II is a great choice. I've always used them on centerfire rifles, but they seem to be tough and should hold up on a .22. I'm not just saying this because you are buying one from me either. I have 2 others at the moment that I'm using. I just didn't have anything to mount that 3-9 on which is why I listed it for sale. I kind of hate to see it go as they are great scopes for the money.
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: Broke another scope - 06/06/11
I'd like to try the sage rat shooting with say a .300 Weatherby and 110 grain bullets just for the splat effect. grin
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Broke another scope - 06/06/11
I did have a Tasco Wolrld Class (snork) 3-9 come apart quickly on my 10/22. The Swift 4x has been a tank though. My kids run hundreds of rounds per sitting through that thing. Keeps on ticking.

Those sage rats are a phenomenon. I've not shot them but have seen them in the fields. Another one is when the jackrabbit population does one of it's cyclical booms. I was at Steens in '88 when that happened. Unbelievable.
Posted By: Magnumdood Re: Broke another scope - 06/06/11
Sean,

I had a Burris compact 4-12x32 on my Ruger 10-22 for over 4K rounds. It never gave me any trouble. I took the scope off and sold it and sold the rifle later. I looked at SWFA and it appears Burris is marketing that model any more.
Posted By: varmintsinc Re: Broke another scope - 06/06/11
I broke a couple scopes on 10-22 and since using the buffer have not had a problem. I use the softer one, kind of feels like a limbsaver pad, it gets changed every 5000 rounds and all is good.

Those damn sage rats are unbelievable. We shoot up around Goose lake and its shocking how much you can shoot in one setting. I like to get under a tree and just keep moving in a circle around it staying in the shade. I remember shooting right after the alfalfa was moved, only a couple inches high and it was like they were sitting up in a parking lot. I went through over 2000 .22lr in a day and they were still coming up. I recall having to move to a new position because so many seagulls had moved in to clean up the kills I could not shoot around them.

I run a fixed super sniper 10x and the mil dot works great, using a 100 yard zero anything under 50 yards gets one mil under and anything past 125 gets one mil over, works great out to about 150 yards.
Posted By: Ringman Re: Broke another scope - 06/06/11
varmintsinc,

That mill sounds good.
© 24hourcampfire