Home
What are your opinions on these scopes. I am particulary interested in the 2-12x42 Leupold. I am not to sure about the Burris as i have never owned a Burris. I have herd some pretty bad storries about Burris cs so kind of scared to deal with them. I know Leupold has verry good cs and they are much cheaper than the SwarovskiZ6. I want one of these for the large fov on the low side and the higher magnification for range work and those longer shots. I would realy like to get the Swarovski 2.5-15x44 with a plex or a #7a reticle. This will be my only scope on my only rifle a 270-300WBY. I will hunt elk and deer mostly. What do you guys think.
Originally Posted by purplefox66
I would realy like to get the Swarovski 2.5-15x44 with a plex or a #7a reticle.
Ya, that's a freagin nice scope. Couple G's also.
those longer shots

What does this mean for your hunting?
According to our Leupold rep, it will be a little longer before you see the VX-6 on the shelves. "October, maybe" is what I remember from the conversation, even though they 'appear' on the pages of one large on-line optic retailer.

On the other hand, the Swaro is available now.
What's the hold-up on their end ?
Originally Posted by mathman
those longer shots

400-600 yards.
Have no idea about the Leupold VX-6, but I have a few of the Leupold 4.5-14x50 VX-7's, have owned a handful of Burris scopes (all gone now) and currently have 5 of the Swaro Z-6's. For my eyes, the 2-12x50 Z-6 is the clearest, brightest scope I've ever looked through, and it's not even close.
Originally Posted by RDFinn

That wasn't disclosed. Neither was the status of a high-end binocular. In either case, they are behind the 8-ball, and from our sales perspective losing ground fast to Swaro.
Originally Posted by WiFowler
Originally Posted by RDFinn

That wasn't disclosed. Neither was the status of a high-end binocular. In either case, they are behind the 8-ball, and from our sales perspective losing ground fast to Swaro.

Update. Got this yesterday in response to my question via their contact page>

"Sorry about that. The date seems to be pushing back as you know, but we are actually shipping now. So the dealers can order it for you if they do not have them in stock."
If you are a one gun man (there should be more of us - i would much rather one really good rifle and scope than a lot of average rifles!), get the Z6. Also consider the 1.7-10x42. I am not sure of the benefits of a x15 magnification for a big game scope, and there is a bit of a weight penalty due to the necessity of parallax adjustment.
I have no idea why anyone would want, much less actually pay for a 15X scope for deer or elk hunting, when all you have to do is throw a bullet into a circle the size of a volleyball on a deer, a much larger circle on an elk.

We saw the Leupold 6 at the IWA show in Nurnberg in march. We were told wait will be till october/november. The Z6 today was sold to more than 100000 since their introduction so we can tell it's a success. But when i read that it's the brightest scope, you must note that, power to power and lens size to lens size, Swarovski says that the Z6 lost from 2 to 3% light, compared to the older models (same lens treatment) because there are more lenses in the Z6 the light has to pass through.
But for sure there is enough light for all hunting situation.
As Randy says: who need a 15x to hit a vital zone of an elk at 600yards. And why not try to get closer...
People like Keith, O'Connor, Whelen and other old timers were surely supermen to hunt and bag game as they did...
Dom
If you check http://www.swarovskioptik.us/en_us/products/rifle-scope_z6-z6i_1-7-10x42/technical-data and other Swaro spec sheets, the don't claim any super high light transmission percentages. That sheet for a Z6 states 90% light transmission, while other Swarovski models just say >90% .

Light transmission percentage alone doesn't make for image quality. For example, who wants a brighter image if that image is low contrast and low resolution? A brighter blob, with little contrast and detail isn't a good image in much of anything.

Soldiers used to use atropine eye drops to dilate pupils. While we aren't nocturnal animals, human eyes aren't that bad and we don't need night vision goggles to go hunting.

I don't know a soul that wouldn't pick a Z6 Swaro against the rest, assuming the same price. They aren't the same price, though.
Originally Posted by RandyWakeman
I have no idea why anyone would want, much less actually pay for a 15X scope for deer or elk hunting, when all you have to do is throw a bullet into a circle the size of a volleyball on a deer, a much larger circle on an elk.

I have an idea why grin
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

I have an idea why grin

A lot of guys don't take the shots you do either. I did just fine with my 4.5-14 this year........
those longer shots

400-600 yards.

My question is, what kind of scope are you using now for those kinds of shots???? Thanks

Could it be that some folks like to use their scopes for more than shooting at der or elk? Maybe they use the same rifle for coyotes and foxes and rabbits at long distance also. Maybe they like to see bullet holes at 400 yards on a target. Or maybe they like to brag to their friends and family about the Hubble they have on their rifle. How about if someone wnts to make sure of a point count on a distant animal before he fires. There is more to shooting life than killing deer and elk.
What are your opinions on these scopes. I am particulary interested in the 2-12x42 Leupold. I am not to sure about the Burris as i have never owned a Burris. I have herd some pretty bad storries about Burris cs so kind of scared to deal with them. I know Leupold has verry good cs and they are much cheaper than the SwarovskiZ6. I want one of these for the large fov on the low side and the higher magnification for range work and those longer shots. I would realy like to get the Swarovski 2.5-15x44 with a plex or a #7a reticle. This will be my only scope on my only rifle a 270-300WBY. I will hunt elk and deer mostly. What do you guys think.

There's nothing wrong with Burris CS. If these new 6X scopes are anything like the Signatures I have, they should be the brightest of the 3 you mentioned, I like the 3P#4 reticle, btw.
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

I have an idea why grin

Yeah, but not everyone can afford a camera crew like you rich guys.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
those longer shots

400-600 yards.

My question is, what kind of scope are you using now for those kinds of shots???? Thanks
I was using a vortex viper 2-7
but now i will be using nothing. I am sure some of you saw my post on what would be better to shoot myself with. The police got involved and now i lost all my guns and it is likely i will never be able to own another gun. Now i need to sell all my reloading equipment. Should i put an add in the clasifides?
Let us know when you put the add in.
© 24hourcampfire