Home
Okay, my mom is buying my dad a new-to-him set of binoculars for Christmas. Basically I'm choosing the optics, she's writing the check. He likes 10x42 and is a fan of the big three - Leica, Swaro, and Zeiss, but his current Zeiss are almost 30 years old and are actually Aus Jena East German production and show a double image. Yes, reparable, but he repaired it a few years ago and it's quite a bit of money. Anyway, what is the difference between Leica Trinovid BN and Trinovid BA models? I have a bid in on evilbay that I'm considering retracting because the ad is for a 10x42 Trinovid BN, but the pictures and fine print say Trinovid BA. And how would either of these compare to a pair of Swarovski SLC WB 10x42 from 1999? I know the Swaros from that era have Swarobright and Swarodur, but are the prisms phase-corrected as well? Thanks for the help!
Does it have to be one of those? If not, you might want to look at the Cabela's Euro 10x42 on sale right now. Same wide euro style FOV, built like a tank, really nice "easy" view.
I had both Leica 10x42 BA and Swarovski 10x42 SLC. Both are gone now but I really liked the Swaros much better.

Should be plenty of good tips coming in soon....................
Yeah, without going into more details than any of you want to know, the name is important to dad, and not for the specifically vain reasons that such a statement usually implies, more of a "stuck in the 1980s or 1990s" in terms of who makes the absolute best and how large the quality gap is, which isn't true any more, but to him it is. If I were the one spending the cash on this purchase I'd be getting the Cabela's Euro HDs or waiting for Meopta Meostar HD model to come out, but in dad's mind the best binoculars are either Leica, Zeiss, or Swarovski. He'll be happy with any of them, but he might look at the Cabela's Euro model or Meopta and be very skeptical.
Thanks Lawdwaz, good to know.
I figured it was something like that.

He'll be happy with any of them, but he might look at the Cabela's Euro model or Meopta and be very skeptical.

Do you think if he really looked through a pair his "notions" would override his eyes?

Of course the purpose of the gift is to please him, so maybe education is counterproductive in this case.
mathman, you nailed it, as I'm sure you know by now. He would look through them and think "These Meoptas are great, but the Leica/Zeiss/Swaro would be waaayyyy better."
BN's focus closer than BA's. Other than that, they're the same. Swarobright is Swarovski's version of phase coating and came out in I believe 1999 (anything after serial number 68xxxx will have Swarobright coated prisms).

No flies on the Leica Trinovids, Zeiss ClassiC's, and older SLC's, but there's plenty of glass that equal or surpass them in today's market, and for less money. You have to keep in mind the BA Trinovids are at least three gerations old now (BN's, Ultravids, Ultravid HD's), SLC's are two generations old (Neu's, HD's), and while I'm a fan of the Zeiss ClassiC's, they're about as "old school" as it gets.

IMO, the previously mentioned Euros are every bit as good as the older SLC's and Trinovids, and kick the crap out of the Zeiss ClassiC's optically. They're also built like the proverbial tank. If one can get past the made in a China part, the Zen-Ray ED3's are better optically than all the above. What they're lacking in my opinion is long term proven durability, and that's the area the others shine.
Also wanted to add, if some dumbazz can't post an actual picture of the item they're selling, I'd run in the opposite direction.
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
BN's focus closer than BA's. Other than that, they're the same. Swarobright is Swarovski's version of phase coating and came out in I believe 1999 (anything after serial number 68xxxx will have Swarobright coated prisms).

No flies on the Leica Trinovids, Zeiss ClassiC's, and older SLC's, but there's plenty of glass that equal or surpass them in today's market, and for less money. You have to keep in mind the BA Trinovids are at least three gerations old now (BN's, Ultravids, Ultravid HD's), SLC's are two generations old (Neu's, HD's), and while I'm a fan of the Zeiss ClassiC's, they're about as "old school" as it gets.

IMO, the previously mentioned Euros are every bit as good as the older SLC's and Trinovids, and kick the crap out of the Zeiss ClassiC's optically. They're also built like the proverbial tank. If one can get past the made in a China part, the Zen-Ray ED3's are better optically than all the above. What they're lacking in my opinion is long term proven durability, and that's the area the others shine.

The SLC's have all had phase coated prisms, the Swarobright refers to the prism coatings, it means Dielectric coating,
which is the latest and offers a brighter reflective surface. I would recommend a newer Swarovski SLC, and that means
2000 and later, they are very good, Swarovski has the best warranty in the business, and will cover them for a second
user. Leica, does not warranty these older binoculars second hand, and that is a large consideration. I believe the
Swaro. will be better and brighter than the Trinovid. We all have opinions, and there you go. I have owned some models
of each, and have settled in on Swaro. as my preference, as many sportsmen do.
Thanks for the info guys.
I retracted the bid on ebay. I tried to email him and couldn't, and I couldn't locate a phone number. Fortunately I had 18 hours left on the sale. If they give me any gruff about it I'll calmly explain the discrepancy between the title and the description and that the "A" vs. "N" is more than a simple meaningless typo in this case.
For old geezers like myself, whose father first started using Leica cameras and lenses back in the 1930s, and I used them from an early age, it is hard not to stay with the tried-and-true.

I have a couple of pairs of Leitz binoculars from the 1970s that I extensively tested against all available at that time, and while there might possibly be even better items today, I very much doubt that I could detect the difference. I really, really like Leitz.

Norm Solberg
I have 10x42 SLC(1993 model) and Cabelas Euro(Meopta) 12x50. Both are excellent. Have used the SLC for past 15 years without issue. Recently called swarovski about upgrades. Was told these are due for upgrades in diopter, armor and items irrevelant to me. Sent in, had binos back in 3 weeks. Completely gone through and did not charge me a dime. They look like new. Incredible CS. Currently using the Meopta 12x50 on all hunts so far this year. A little heavier/larger but manageable. I have used BN 12x50, seem a little bulky/heavier than others. Excellent glass but prefer the Meopta for size/wt in a 12x50. You can't go wrong with any of the forementioned. Good Luck, TG
So if I bought the 1999 SLC 10x42s, I could probably send them in for upgrades and get them back before Christmas...I'll be calling the lady with the checkbook.
Yes. The only reason I called them was about a minor crack in plastic diopter ring. Thought since I was using the meoptas I could be without the slcs for awhile. She said send in. Here is what the packing slip shows: replacement of prism/housing, left and right. Driving gear cover, diopter scale ring, nameplate, diopter wheel, driving gear housing, bridge piece, focus wheel rubber ring, focuser wheel, diopter pin, casing, spring, spindle wheel, Armour LT/RT, focus mounting lens, support ring, threaded bushing, focus rod. The binos are smaller/shorter than original. Heck, they may be a new pair.
I had a similar experience with a pair of SLC 7X42's a few years ago down to the cracked diopter ring and the complete overhaul and upgrade including the new armor.

GrimJim
I mailed my 1990 8X30 SLC back to Cranston for replacement of a busted diopter adjustment wheel today and asked that the binocular be "checked." I sure hope they run an upgrade in on me! This is an instrument that failed under much less than severe use while desert mule deer hunting two years in a row around 94-95. The second time they went back to Austria for a complete rebuild. The busted diopter wheel is the first trouble that I have had with this one since then. Jack
I finally got a message back from the seller on the ebay Leicas I was bidding on. He was apologetic about the error and said he would correct the description and understood if I withdrew my bid. He said he would correct the error, but I see that he hasn't yet. And the bidding has reached my max bid, so I would have been safe in any case. Another example of why I try to avoid ebay...
You should be able to find a SLC NEU made in the last several years in your price point. That is the most logical thing for you to buy IMO.
I should have just left my bid alone - they're all the way to $900 for the Leica Trinovid BA 10x42s!!!
What's been said about the difference between the BA and BN Leicas is correct, closer focus distance of the BN. What wasn't mentioned is that the later BA's and all of the BN's were made with much tougher coatings than the SLC's. Ask Flinch about his experiences with both.
The Leicas don't have the Swaro fogging problems that the Swaros still have in places like Alaska apparently. Ask Phil Shoemaker about his experiences.
The point about the new Meoptas is well taken. BTW, the Zeiss Jena's were not nearly as good as the last of the old Zeiss Classics. The FL's are better still.
Just for the record, I believe that Leica binoculars are the best anywhere, at any price. But I will no longer buy them as they are simply too expensive for what one gets. I'd buy either a Meopta or a now discontinued Leupold Gold Ring in a 10X42. E
Originally Posted by Eremicus
What's been said about the difference between the BA and BN Leicas is correct, closer focus distance of the BN. What wasn't mentioned is that the later BA's and all of the BN's were made with much tougher coatings than the SLC's. Ask Flinch about his experiences with both.
The Leicas don't have the Swaro fogging problems that the Swaros still have in places like Alaska apparently. Ask Phil Shoemaker about his experiences.
The point about the new Meoptas is well taken. BTW, the Zeiss Jena's were not nearly as good as the last of the old Zeiss Classics. The FL's are better still.
Just for the record, I believe that Leica binoculars are the best anywhere, at any price. But I will no longer buy them as they are simply too expensive for what one gets. I'd buy either a Meopta or a now discontinued Leupold Gold Ring in a 10X42. E

LMAO...The usless babbling is back!!! Please show us the tougher coatings on the Leica Bino's and how did you test them??? As a side note, talk to Phil now about Swaro's..His tune has changed and don't favor your skewed views so you will not mention that!!!
Oh, sure. I'll wait for them to post. Which I haven't seen yet. As for testing, Flinch made his experiences quite clear. BTW, he didn't ask about the latest stuff. He asked about the older models. Which you seem to have missed in your emotional response. E
I see the resident professor stopped by again!! BTW they have already been posted but, as usual you couldn't read them!!
Originally Posted by Timberbuck
You should be able to find a SLC NEU made in the last several years in your price point. That is the most logical thing for you to buy IMO.

Bingo! I had an SLCneu and it had much better glass and ergos than my Trinovid.
Those Trinovid's might have been sumptin in their day, but that day was twenty five years ago. I had a pair that I dumped for some Peregrine's.
...The Leicas don't have the Swaro fogging problems that the Swaros still have in places like Alaska apparently....

Did a Swarovski rep run off with your wife or something? I've been on this forum for years and don't think I've ever seen a post involving swarovski binoculars where you didn't spout this BS, and you're the only person I've ever heard it from.
Not to seem as if I totally agree with E on this issue but I want to point out something to support some of his claim. Over on birdforum there is a post in the Swaro forum specifically detailing fungus growing on multiple units of the new Swarovisions.

I am sure it happens at one time or another with all bins but to see so many for such a new model surprised me a bit.
Try asking the source, Phil Shoemaker. I repeat it because, for the money, Swaros shopuld not have those problems after 4-5 years. The other top brands, including the $1000 class binos, don't. E
Try asking the source, Phil Shoemaker. I repeat it because, for the money, Swaros shopuld not have those problems after 4-5 years. The other top brands, including the $1000 class binos, don't. E

You're the source because you're the one spouting it. Between myself and the guys in my hunting camp we have around 10 pairs of swarovski binoculars ranging from 20 to 3 years old, not one of them has ever fogged. The sum total of problems we've had out of them is one broken eyecup (me) and another guy who cracked the prism by dropping them 30 feet out of a climbing treestand.

Phil must know something you don't cause he owns two pair now.
Phil is a God apparently. No wait a second "E" hates Swaro and readily admits it. This may be the pinnacle of stupidity.
Not necessarily. In the posts that I've seen, he's retesting them long term. Their infamous fogging problem takes a number of years to show up. Something you guys also seem to have missed. E
Haven't missed anything, just stating a fact that he owns two pair of Swaro's.....and EL and a SLC. Sorry that facts disappoint you. So long as you are playing advocate, are you advising folks about Leics's jerky/sticky focus wheels and poor CS ? I just recently had a brand new pair of Ultravid HD's in my hands and sure enough, still have that jerky/sticky focus wheel problem. Great glass though.
Swaro all the way. Best customer service period!!!
Lots of BS here.

Eyes are a very personal thing. I don't see how anyone can recommend a pair of a certain type of binocular to another person based on the eyesight part of it. I do agree that one can recommend based on how the mechanics have performed.

I suggest that the buyers goes to a good store that carries all of the brands interested in. Ask to look at them all. Go back in the morning and the evening. If they complain remind them you are contemplating buying a very expensive item and you want to get it right.

I have owned Leica BN, Leica Ultralight, the current top Zeiss model, and now the latest Swarovski. For my eyes, I can say that the Swarovski seem the clearest.
© 24hourcampfire