Home
Anyone dealt with them? How do they sell so cheap compared to most places?
I bought a scope from SWFA several years ago(before I discovered CameraLand NY) with no problems, but I'd like to hear from others.

Is their stuff the same as anyone else's, but they have less overhead?
I mostly buy from cameraland but i get a few things from opticsplanet,they sell reloading stuff,rings, bases as well as optics and you can do a review on items you buy and get a 10% off coupon to use later on. Never bought from bearbasin.
Thanks. I've read some bad reviews of Optics Planet and SWFA, but I can find bad reviews on about anything. I was just wondering what some people here may have to say.
I've bought from SWFA many times, and my experience has always been positive.
I've bought from SWFA and it went very well. I've also bought from Optics Plant and it was a good experience. The complaint about OpticsPlanet is that they often don't have the items in stock and you don't know until after you order it. This sometimes happens with SWFA since they don't list the stock on their site. Make sure you call them first.

That said, I don't find their prices to be all that great. They are decent, but most of them are selling for the MAP price. You can sometimes find some of the optics cheaper somewhere else, sometimes not.

They only seem cheap compared to my local dealers in this area that want to rip everyone off on everything they sell. It's no wonder they don't have many customers.
I find the prices are pretty similar between the various suppliers.

Cameraland has some very nice sales and access to demo units which represent a really good deal.

They also help support this and many other shooting sites.
The $30 you'll spend on a C&R FFL will ensure that you'll never pay retail for scopes again.
Interesting. Thanks guys.
I've used SWFA the most, the others once or twice, and not had problems with any of them.
I have ordered from SWFA, optics planet and Cameraland NY, Benn happy with all three.

If Doug has what your looking for and the price is close, I would go with Doug. Its better service and for me its very quick, being 1 day from NYC.

I have used both optics planet and SWFA and both sell the same good stuff, they both often have good prices. One warning on SWFA, if you need it quick call and check inventory, It used to be that you didn't know if it was in stock when you place a web order.
SWFA kept me hanging for over a month saying a scope was back ordered. Turned out it was discontinued. Got the last one available elsewhere, and mostly deal now with Cameraland.
I ordered a scope on sale from Opticsplanet a few months ago and they emailed me that they sold out of that particular reticle.

They asked if I would take a different reticle and I told them "sure, if you will sell that one at the advertised sale price of the other reticle" (there was a $70 difference).

They did so and delivery was quick.

Can't beat that.

And I generally order from Cameraland, but they don't carry this particular scope.
I bought mine from both Cameraland and SWFA. Both are great to deal with
Alex Roy at Euro-Optic for me - great guy & great deals!!!
I have ordered mostly from Cameraland the past couple of years BUT when I want a Leupold product I always deal both SWFA and Optics Plant and all sales have gone well.
You can't beat the service of Cameraland NY. Always friendly and very helpful. I've bought several scopes and binos from Doug, even a couple cameras for my wife over the years, and never had any trouble. Super fast shipping as well.

I've bought several things from OP when Doug didn't have it, but find their website lacking at times.

I quit using SWFA because they were dishonest on their 110% low price gtty. Tried to get them to match a lower price on various products 3-4 times before I gave up. Sometimes they were just flat rude about it, sometimes they made up BS excuses. Just don't particularly care for false advertising.
I was impressed with Doug. I asked about a scope they had on sale. He was prompt to reply telling me all of them were sold and he did suggest an alternative. I didn't buy his suggested scope but was happy with the response. I'll keep watching their sales.
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM
You can't beat the service of Cameraland NY. Always friendly and very helpful. I've bought several scopes and binos from Doug, even a couple cameras for my wife over the years, and never had any trouble. Super fast shipping as well.

I've bought several things from OP when Doug didn't have it, but find their website lacking at times.

I quit using SWFA because they were dishonest on their 110% low price gtty. Tried to get them to match a lower price on various products 3-4 times before I gave up. Sometimes they were just flat rude about it, sometimes they made up BS excuses. Just don't particularly care for false advertising.

Mirrors my experience as well.

Didn't care for the funny math used to determine their 110% price match... left me with a bad after taste for that outfit.
I have made a grand total of one purchase through SWFA... Leupold Ruger rings (1" low and 30mm high) and Seekins 30mm Picatinny rings. Sale went fine.

Now CLNY, on the other hand, has gotten a lot of my money. Two Viper PSTs, four or five Conquests, and some Minox products. And probably a Swaro Z3 soon.
I've bought 3 scopes from bear basin without any problems
Originally Posted by 300MAG

+1
I have bought from Bear Basin, SWFA & Natchez....all have been just fine in terms of service and on time shipping etc.
CLNY is getting in my pocket pretty regular now. Best supplier Ive ever used. I used to buy from Natchez but it seemed like their shipping rates were as high as the actual scope I was buying at the time.
I've purchased several riflescopes and a spotter over the last 10-12 years from Bear Basin. I only had a problem once, and it wasn't their fault, the UPS tracking said the scope got here and it hadn't. Called Bear Basin, they sent another one which showed up on schedule.

I don't know what their business/pricing model is but it apparently works well enough too keep them in business.

Dale
Wow, lots of responses here. Thanks for sharing. I've bought at CLNY, SWFA and Optics Planet, and my opinion is that CLNY gives a person the best overall deal. Their people, the products/prices, and the way they stand behind them impresses me. I also like the fact that I'm dealing with someone who exposes themselves to us regularly here on the Campfire...I trust them.
I was just curious about the other places because I've heard some reviews on them that made me cautious, and curious. Thanks again.
Yep. My only problem with Cameraland (well, besides the amount of money I give them smile ) is the fact they don't carry Leupold. I understand why they don't. But that sure would make them a one stop shopping nirvana. (And yes, I do realize Rick sells Leupy at the Outfitter's Gear Shop.)
YesSirawesome to deal with!
I have purchased from Bear Basin, Optics Planet and CameralandNY. SWFA hasn't gotten any of my $ yet as having to pay TX sales tax usually takes them out of the game for me. All my experiences with the others have been positive but Doug and the guys at CLNY go above and beyond when it comes to service. They also pass along savings they get on any discounted optics to the customer to a much greater extent than any other optics retailer I am familiar with. They have earned a lifelong customer in me.
I have purchased from Bear Basin, Optics Planet and CameralandNY. SWFA hasn't gotten any of my $ yet as having to pay TX sales tax usually takes them out of the game for me. All my experiences with the others have been positive but Doug and the guys at CLNY go above and beyond when it comes to service. They also pass along savings they get on any discounted optics to the customer to a much greater extent than any other optics retailer I am familiar with. They have earned a lifelong customer in me.
CAMERALAND ALL DA WAY! Best customer service I have experienced and I buy a lot of high end optics...
Have used Bear Basin and the catalog guys,however, the last 8 optic purchases for me have been from Cameraland.
GreggH
I've bought from SWFA with only a ring-fit problem that was corrected soon, and a n.i.s. item that never came long after the promised date. Cameraland just gave me a good year-end closeout deal on scope. Lately have been quite happy with www.brunoshooters.com; good prices, but no "free" shipping.
I have purchased 4 of the VX1 shotgun scopes in 1-4x20mm from Cabelas and with sale prices and coupon codes have done very well from a pricing standpoint. Haven't used the companies mentioned here, but know of them.
I haven't delt with Camera Land for optics yet mainly because I've bought Leupold scopes. IIRC I did order a camera several years ago from them. When dealing with SWFA I've found it's best to order over the phone so you can ask "is it in stock?" to avoid long waits. I've delt with Bear Basin. I didn't know about Camera Land when I ordered binoculars. frown
Used them all-

All good. Usually boils down to price and/or free shipping.

This guy sold me a NEW Sako 85 Finnlite for $750! I sent him pictures of the bear I got with it that fall, and he seemed like a genuinely nice guy. I am eager to try to give him my business.
Alex at Euro-Optic gave me a great price on my Meopta. Great guy and real easy to work with.

Of course we all know about Camera Land and Doug. Nothing bad to be said, only good.

Bear Basin is OK. They charged me $50 to ship UPS ground and a $5 packaging fee on one of their clearance scopes. Seems pretty high on shipping and the stupid nickel and dime stuff turns me off from buying from them again.
Interesting, I just got a good deal from them on a demo model and their shipping charge was around $5 IIRC.

Just checked the invoice--$3.95.
Originally Posted by Bulletbutt
Thanks. I've read some bad reviews of Optics Planet and SWFA, but I can find bad reviews on about anything. I was just wondering what some people here may have to say.

That about sums it up...

Different web sites have different sponsors...if you ever have a problem with services or a product, knowing which web site to visit & pm'ing the sponsor via that web site will generally get you "super service"... cool

I have bought from Bear Basin and SWFA. Both were good to work with and it was good experience with fair prices. That said, I have purchased the last several from CameralandNY. Absolutely terrific company to deal with they are.

FH
Bought from Bear Basin, Swaro stuff and Leupolds from TheRifleScopeStore. Scott's delivers excellent service and price was pretty good.
© 24hourcampfire