Home
Posted By: oldguns Leica & Zeiss Rangefinders - 02/19/12
Does anyone have any opinions or advice on choosing a Leica CRF 1000/1600 rangemaster or the Zeiss PRF 8 X 26 rangefinder. Thinking theyre both great units but trying to decide on which one. Thanks in advance for any repplies.
Posted By: Hoz Re: Leica & Zeiss Rangefinders - 02/19/12
I have the Leica crf900 and love it. I have never used the Zeiss. Doug had a special on the Leica crf800 for $249 and I missed it, what a deal that was!!!!!
I have a Leica rangefinder. While it works fine its a pain to have to carry the extra device. It was so expensive that I worry about losing it or where it is.

Keep in mind that I have hunted from the 1950's where I had no rangefinder. I shot chucks with the 222, 220 and 243 and a flat shooting round was my 'rangefinder'.

Some hunters may want one for bow hunting or they hunt out west where the ranges are long or some other reason. I can estimate ranges quite well up to about 300 yds for the rifles I shoot. Thus I don't carry the rangefinder.

Still its fun to get a new toy. Perhaps you should ask how the less expensive ones work or one built into binoculars?
Originally Posted by oldguns
Does anyone have any opinions or advice on choosing a Leica CRF 1000/1600 rangemaster or the Zeiss PRF 8 X 26 rangefinder. Thinking theyre both great units but trying to decide on which one. Thanks in advance for any repplies.

I'll never again recommend Leica, even though their products are top-shelf, as their CS sucks.

Get the Swaro.
The zeiss prf is excellent and mine have went well into the 1400's it's easier to hold it steady than the Leica.For me comparing the zeiss prf to the leica 1600 I would take the zeiss.If you have to have the smallest rangefinder pick the leica.
I've had them both. Sold the Leica's.
Posted By: GSSP Re: Leica & Zeiss Rangefinders - 02/20/12
I had the Swaro, bought the Leica 1600. Sold the Swaro though it's a great LRF. Have zero experience with the Zeiss.

Alan
© 24hourcampfire