Home
Did you catch the History Channel's Special on snipers and the reenactments of some their classic shots last night ?
In one, a guy tried to duplicate Carlos Hathcock's classic kill by putting a bullet down a scope and into the head of a target. He tried a couple of times, but the scopes stopped the bullets. They didn't even exit the occular lenses..... You guessed it, they were Leupold hunting scopes.
How's that for tough.... E
Must Have Been The Diamond Dust Coating on The Lens.
Guessing they used Ballistic Tips, which just "blew up" on the surface.....
I wouldn't dare try the ballistic tips on a Simmons though.............
Okay- bullet penetration on a Leupold VX3 vs. a Conquest. Ready....GO!

grin
Ya think Leupold's warranty will cover those scopes? smile
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Okay- bullet penetration on a Leupold VX3 vs. a Conquest. Ready....GO!

grin

So are you going to shoot at your scopes or have someone else shoot at your scopes? confused.... grin
Blowing up on the surface isn't always a bad thing. Helps you sleep easy that night.

Travis
I knew you guys would get a laugh out of this. E
I hope both of my Leupold's come back from repair being "tough" cause they weren't when I bought em.
Originally Posted by Eremicus
Did you catch the History Channel's Special on snipers and the reenactments of some their classic shots last night ?
In one, a guy tried to duplicate Carlos Hathcock's classic kill by putting a bullet down a scope and into the head of a target. He tried a couple of times, but the scopes stopped the bullets. They didn't even exit the occular lenses..... You guessed it, they were Leupold hunting scopes.

don't get too excited myth busters did it too with cheap tascos and they could not get the bullet through them either.
He must have been using a .223, it's well documented that even an ordinary pack of cigarette's in a shirt pocket has completely stopped 55 grain .223 bullets at 300 yards and beyond with great regularity.
Originally Posted by jimmyp
He must have been using a .223, it's well documented that even an ordinary pack of cigarette's in a shirt pocket has completely stopped 55 grain .223 bullets at 300 yards and beyond with great regularity.

Well Documented & Great Regularity Love the choice of phrasing sounds like you are aware of a secret operation experimenting on ways to rid the world of smokers LOL. Sorry but it just struck me as funny in my own warped way.

I read the OP post and immediately thought of the Myth Busters episode. I was a bit surprised at their results.
I bet if they were fixed 6s with M1s on them.... they could still get $200 for them in the classifieds.....
Originally Posted by deflave
Blowing up on the surface isn't always a bad thing. Helps you sleep easy that night.

Travis

I know that's saved me more than once! Good advice and GFY, my friend.....GFY.

Originally Posted by Dogshooter
I bet if they were fixed 6s with M1s on them.... they could still get $200 for them in the classifieds.....

Oh man....that cut deep! Travis.......Did you hear that?
Originally Posted by jimmyp

thanks for the laugh...

Wow, I always knew that those Leupolds have very "poor transmission"...

Aic
Hay Aic.
Someone finally found a good use for a loopie..... laugh

dave
Originally Posted by RDFinn
I hope both of my Leupold's come back from repair being "tough" cause they weren't when I bought em.

They are tougher the second time around from what I hear grin

Probably sprayed them with metal diamond coat on the internals
Got the Compact 4x back today with a new reticle that was broken from the vicious recoil of a Ruger 10/22.
10/22 rifles are hard on scopes. Mine have eaten several and I hope they get shot enough to eat a few more.
What brands of scopes were you using on the 10/22 ?
Originally Posted by JPro

They make deer bullet proof too.

Are you serious? You did see that was actually a Tasco right???

Did they say what bullet and round they were using?

Those old Russian sniper scopes may not have been that tough. I have an autographed copy of Carlos' book. I think it was a Russian sniper rifle, IIRC. Guess I could look it up.

If Carlos Hathcock said it happened, I don't see any reason to doubt his word. Seems some bozo is always wanting to pull someone down or call someone who's no longer around, a liar.

DF
Got the Compact 4x back today with a new reticle that was broken from the vicious recoil of a Ruger 10/22.

Be careful you don't get some scope eye with that kicking mule

I guess they must have replaced the 10k 375 H&H recoil machine with a 10/22 test bed. Now that is some forward thinking
Originally Posted by dave7mm
Hay Aic.

dave

Dave,

UPS has been using loopies for a while now... (to increase their bottom line from all the back and forth freights to Leupold's service department... grin )

Aic
Maybe I need to switch to standard velocity ammo..
What brands of scopes were you using on the 10/22 ?
I've run the gamut from blister pack scopes to scopes in the $4-500 range and have seen many of them puke. I can't say exactly why (I have my guesses), but the recoil of the cartridge is unlikely..... blush

I presently have 3-9X33 compacts on both of my present 10/22 rifles. Probably only a few thousand rounds through one and only a few hundred through the other. I suspect another 12-15,000 rounds may find the need to send one of them back for a rebuild.....
Originally Posted by Aicman
Originally Posted by dave7mm
Hay Aic.

dave

Dave,

UPS has been using loopies for a while now... (to increase their bottom line from all the back and forth freights to Leupold's service department... grin )

Aic

They sure got enough of my money doing that.

...What do you call the front objective lens of a loopie?
..A target smirk

dave
The test used standard .308 match ammo.
They later tested a scope with fewer lenses like the one Carlos Hathcock shot through. With that scope, the bullet went all the way through and punched through the head of the dummy behind it. Nobody was trying to call gunny Hathcock a liar. E
Originally Posted by deflave

Travis

And the rest of the month...
Maybe I need to switch to standard velocity ammo..

CB caps would be best ....
Originally Posted by JPro

They should have been using the tsx's as they "overpenetrate".....Just sayin.... whistle
I wonder how well the W&E adjustments worked after that little exercise?

IMHO, these days there is far too much nitpicking over the optical qualities of rifle scopes, which are first of all aiming devices, and too little on mechanical reliability.

Paul
They are SUPER tough.... until you put one on a BB gun.... LOL
© 24hourcampfire