Home
I'm thinking about the VX-6, 1-6x24 #4, Fire Dot with CDS for my 9.3x62. I'm not crazy about 30mm tubes but the weight is OK. With the #4 reticle at 1 power, fast shooting at hogs, etc. should be easy. With the thinner, center part of the reticle at 6 power with the CDS, 500 yd. shots with 250 gr. NAB's shouldn't be that hard.

With the 24mm objective, I wouldn't think one could use much more than 3 power at twilight while maintaining an 8mm exit pupil.

Seem this scope with it's quality glass would be a good compromise for this gun and round. At $899 it's not cheap, but it may be worth the cost.

Would appreciate input.

DF
I'd concur with your assessment regarding use of the reticles. However, I have never been a fan of Leupold's German #4. IMHO, the lower portion is too much. I'd prefer the lower portion to be on the order of the wide-duplex.
They have a post and duplex reticle that's not as extreme, but I don't see it offered with this scope.

DF
With the 24mm objective, I wouldn't think one could use much more than 3 power at twilight while maintaining an 8mm exit pupil.

Are you a cat?
I guess that depends on who you ask... laugh

DF
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
They have a post and duplex reticle that's not as extreme, but I don't see it offered with this scope.

DF

Agree. Post & Duplex is a much better reticle (IMO). But as you say, it's not offered as an option.
Just returned from my vacation, and waiting for me was my VX-6 1-6x24mm Illum. German #4 that I sent back a few weeks ago (canted reticle).

The VX-6 version of the German #4 is NOT the same as Leupolds previous generations. To my eye, it is much closer to their Post & Duplex reticle.
Thanks, FOst for that info.

With your recent problem, I wonder about their QA.

What's your assessment of the scope, now that you've gotten it back? Would you buy it again, or something else?

DF
Originally Posted by FOsteology
Just returned from my vacation, and waiting for me was my VX-6 1-6x24mm Illum. German #4 that I sent back a few weeks ago (canted reticle).

The VX-6 version of the German #4 is NOT the same as Leupolds previous generations. To my eye, it is much closer to their Post & Duplex reticle.

I'd hoped that was the case. I really like the #4 in the Z6 Swarovski and never liked Leupold's #4. If what you say is right, I'll be looking for 2 of the 2-12x and a 3-18x.
I have a Z5 3.5-18x44 BT that came with a target type duplex that was way too fine for hunting. I sent it and $125 to Swaro for a #4. It's not that heavy, but beats the heck out of what it came with.

DF
Before purchasing the VX-6 1-6x24mm Illum. German #4, I did a Internet search and found this picture of the reticle that I saved to my PC.

[Linked Image]

DF,

It's too early for me to make a determination. I haven't had the scope in hand for long, and need to mount it and spend some time behind it.
That does look a lot more like a post and duplex than the classic German #4.

That drives me crazy.

Leupold puts out drawings showing one reticle, but the scope has an entirely different reticle.

It's not too unlike Obammy's health care bill. You gotta pass it to see what's in it. You gotta buy the scope to see what reticle you're actually getting.

One would think their ad dept/PR gurus could get their stuff together... frown

DF
An 8mm exit pupil at the last of legal shooting hours will give you a brighter looking image, but that scope should work to about 5X even on a dark day during legal shooting hours. At 5X, you'll be able to see further when the light gets bad than setting it at 3X. E
Thanks, E.

I believe it. And which of us, as we age, have full bore, dilated low light 8mm pupils, anyway? Maybe when we were 20... grin

So, we wouldn't know the difference at 4 or 5 power and with the extra magnification, we can for sure see better than at 3 power.

DF
I'm thinking about the VX-6, 1-6x24 #4, Fire Dot with CDS for my 9.3x62. I'm not crazy about 30mm tubes but the weight is OK. With the #4 reticle at 1 power, fast shooting at hogs, etc. should be easy. With the thinner, center part of the reticle at 6 power with the CDS, 500 yd. shots with 250 gr. NAB's shouldn't be that hard.

Seem this scope with it's quality glass would be a good compromise for this gun and round. At $899 it's not cheap, but it may be worth the cost.

Would appreciate input.

DF

You would be much better off with larger objective lens and 1" tube.
Before purchasing the VX-6 1-6x24mm Illum. German #4, I did a Internet search and found this picture of the reticle that I saved to my PC.

[Linked Image]

DF,

It's too early for me to make a determination. I haven't had the scope in hand for long, and need to mount it and spend some time behind it.

That picture looks quite a bit like the Swaro 4I reticle. I think I could go for that. It looks a lot better than the Leupold no. 4's I've seen in the past.
Originally Posted by Brazos_Jack

[Linked Image]

DF,

That picture looks quite a bit like the Swaro 4I reticle. I think I could go for that. It looks a lot better than the Leupold no. 4's I've seen in the past.

To me, that looks like a post and duplex, not a German #4.

But, I've found Leupold's classifications of these reticles quite confusing.

I'm going to order this scope today. I'll report when I get it.

DF
Originally Posted by Slavek
You would be much better off with larger objective lens and 1" tube.

I guess it depends on the application.

Generally, I like 1" tubes and objectives larger than 24mm.

For my 9.3x62, this one seems to be a good match. If I don't like it, I'll trade it or sell it.

DF
I have a S & B 1.5-6x42 with a modified #4 FFP reticle. I really like t for low light work. Ths reticle s like a Duplex #4 with hash marks for windage.
Are the VX6's with illumination FFP or SFP? Anybody know? Thanks

Lee
SFP.
I'm thinking SFP like most American scopes. Haven't heard anything otherwise. I have one coming, haven't yet examined a VX-6, but hope to remedy that early next week.

DF
Kennyboy,

Man, we haven't heard you called that in a while... smile

And, how sweet it is.

Everything I find out about the VX-7 seems vague. What's the story on that series and how do they differ from VX-6's?

DF
I've a VX6 1-6x24 with Illum German #4 for a bit. It's for a 3 gun comp rifle and will see a lot of rounds.

Initial impressions are that it is the only 1-6x scope other then the Swaro Z6 1-6x I would use. Illumination is daylight usable, stock turret w/CDS is nice, magnification at 1x seems to be as close as you can get to a true 1x in a scope. Still trying to find reticle specs though.....
Today, I got my VX-6 1-6x24 with German #4, if you can call it that. This reticle, as FOst pointed out, is more of a post and duplex than a true #4. The only thing remotely #4, vs. a duplex, the duplex has posts that are tapered at the point. This one has square ended posts.

It's hard to photograph reticles. Here's my best shot with an S50 Canon. My skin isn't that splotchy, just the effects of enhancement techniques to best show the reticle.

I've seen #4's, have one in a Swaro Z5. This, IMHO, is no #4. But, it's not bad. I may even like it more than a classic #4, especially those with super heavy posts.

Next is my 9.3x62 Mauser wearing the VX-6. I think it's going to be a fast combo. This scope is really bright and it's very easy to find the sweet spot, which is very forgiving.

I just got the scope mounted this PM and haven't had time to compare with Z3, Z5 or VX-3.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I like the reticle and the scope/rifle combo DF.
Thanks, Ken.

The B&C Medalist comb is perfect for this height ring and I have about 3/16th's inch clearance with the straight, Oberndorf style bolt handle. Those steel QD Warnes are pretty heavy, scope with rings, 1# 3.3 oz. The scope is 14.6 oz., the rings, 4.7 oz.

The rig is 8# 14 oz., but feels lighter, as it balances nicely at the front action screw. I could save a few ounces with Talley LW's, but wouldn't have the QD feature. I could use Talley QD's, but these Weaver bases are all tweaked for this gun.

My goal was 8.5 pounds. I'm over by 6 oz. Could get pretty close to target wt. with VX-3 1.5-5x20 and Talley LW rings. But, I think I like this better and 6 oz isn't a big deal. The VX-6, IMHO, is worth the few extra ounces.

DF

Edited to add, gun without scope is 7# 10.7 oz.
Very nice. Anxious to hear what you have to say.
DF,

I love what you have put together. I have to question your choice of bases/rings. To my eyes, that scope looks pretty high to me. If when shouldering the rifle, you're looking right through the scope, then I have no further comment. But, if you're looking through the bottom of the scope I'd re-look the issue.

With respect,

Alan
Alan,

The scope does look high, I'll admit. But the Medalist comb is pretty high and the 30mm scope has a larger profile that we're accustom to seeing. The optical center of a 30mm scope is higher than a 1". IIRC, these are low Warnes, .25" top of base to bottom of scope. Will double check that when I get home.

When I close my eyes, shoulder the rifle, then open my eyes, I'm in the perfect optical center of the scope. I like a heads up position and I don't stock crawl. That's why I like my scopes mounted more to the rear than most, why I find it hard to work with a Ruger #1.

My only question with the rings is not height, but weight. These Warnes are heavy, but as I look around, I don't want flimsy rings on a 9.3x62 (or anything else). These steel rings are tough and have a good reputation for returning to zero. So, I'll put up with 4.7 oz. rings, at least for now. And, I already had them on hand... smile

DF
DF,

I stand corrected grin

Alan
Originally Posted by GSSP
DF,

I stand corrected grin

Alan

Not corrected, you weren't wrong. You made a valid observation... smile

DF

That reticle looks like it would be good for low light work. I'm assuming that is a Fire Dot reticle. Some folks over at OpticsTalk have those reticles in some of their Leupy's and they are reporting good things about them.

[Linked Image]
It is a Fire Dot, just not turned on.

It's a nice gadget, adjusts brighter with each push of the button, maxes out, then starts getting dimmer with each additional push. So you can push the button while it cycles up, then down, to the brightness you want.

I like it.

DF
Personally, I'd slide that front QD ring a bit forward on the base. Otherwise, I think you'll be happy with that setup.

I have a VX-6 1-6x24mm illuminated German #4 scope as well, and pondering which of my .375 H&H rifles to mount it on.
FOst,

I've got the front ring in the rear most position for scopes with shorter bodies. I may use a 4200 3-9x40 or similar for load development, but it's not so short bodied.

The ones needing this front ring position include the VX-3 2.5-8x36, which I had considered using before getting the VX-6.

With straight bodied scopes, it would probably look better moved forward.

Wonder how these scopes with all this electronic gadgetry are going to hold up to heavy recoil?

DF
Only time and lots of rounds down the tube will tell. wink

Not shot enough the VX-6 but the one on test stand the recoil of 300Winch mag (180/200grs) and 9,3x74R (286/293grs)well without any sign of reticule failure.

One VX-R, Firedot reticule, i used, took more than 200 rounds of Hornady 30-06 (180grs)in around two hours and half of shooting cinema in Germany. Rifle weighted 2,9kg (6,4lbs). No issue.

Have two VXIII, they are doing well, even the one on my light Sako TRG-S 338 Lapua Mag(7,93lbs)with its brisk and fast recoil...

And, in case of, Leupold customer service is rather good!

Dom
I have some rounds under mine now. A couple observations-

While I don't particularly care all that much about it, the glass clarity and "brightness" are obviously better then past Leupolds. I didn't have them side by side but it wouldn't surprise me if it compares favorably to the Swaro Z6I 1-6x.

The adjustments and tracking are consistent at least for now.

CDS knobs are not available yet according to Leupold......

In case some might like to see a pic of the turrets-

[Linked Image]
Did they say when the CDS knobs are going to be ready?

DF
Late fall...
Thanks for the heads up.

We can always use the turrets like they are. I just like the convenience of a dedicated CDS. I guess I'm too lazy to make a cheat sheet or tape a range card on my stock... blush

DF
Man I wish Leupold would pull their head out of their asses and build that same scope with a 40-42mm objective...
I want to do some comparisons, the VX-6 1-6x24, with other scopes, but am not sure the best way to proceed.

Scopes on hand include Z3 4-12x50 BT, Z5 3.5-18x44 BT, VX-3 3.5-10x40 CDS and Conquests 3-9x40 and 3.5-10x50.

If I put them all on 6 power, the 24mm objective on the VX-6 is going to put it at a tactical disadvantage against 44mm and 50mm objectives, and I won't be comparing apples with apples.

What's the best way to compare these, or can it be done in a meaningful way?

DF

DF

They are ready. I've had one on my 2-12 for six weeks or so now.

[Linked Image]

Hi Jorge,

May be, if american hunters ask for they will but 1-6x24 is first aimed at euro market, where driven hunt scopes (high quality models mostly) represent a big business (Swaro, Kahles, Zeiss, S&B) and where they compete against red dot sights for driven hunts (hunting habit which develops everywhere because of proliferation of wild boars mainly).

This explanation is not from my imagination but from discussion and meeting with Leupold staff at IWA for the former two editions.

Must take in consideration the sale volume the manufacturer can expect before introducing new product.

When i'm "on the fire" it seems most of people look for bigger magnification, waiting for the over state border longer shot. I believe for the moment they will stay with 24mm.

Dom

PS: just for you! No Leupold but Atelier VC in white .600NE. Buff beware!! (not mine)
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by JGRaider

DF

[Linked Image]

How do you like your 2-12?

DF
Very much so, so far anyway. It's the easiest variable to get behind I've ever tried.
I've seen that with my VX-6 1-6x24. It's super easy to shoulder the gun and find the sweet spot. It does seem very forgiving.

DF

For this sort of game, scope is very important but mounting even more. And, like a shotgun, rifle must be adapted to shooter, in close encounters or big dangerous game hunting a well adapted scope with a well adapted rifle and mount will give the advantage!

Problem with most modern rifles (mostly US but Europeans too) is the stock, often too long and more adapted to sitting or prone shooting than fast off hand shoot.

These new VX-6 are not so bad to say the least for rapid, on the run and close in shots....

Dom

[Linked Image]

The ones for the 1/4 MOA scopes are. The 1/10th Mil turreted ones (like the 1-6x24 w/German #4) are not. Supposedly the actual turret itself will be different...
Oh, I misunderstood. Sorry about that.

I want to do some comparisons, the VX-6 1-6x24, with other scopes, but am not sure the best way to proceed.

Scopes on hand include Z3 4-12x50 BT, Z5 3.5-18x44 BT, VX-3 3.5-10x40 CDS and Conquests 3-9x40 and 3.5-10x50.

If I put them all on 6 power, the 24mm objective on the VX-6 is going to put it at a tactical disadvantage against 44mm and 50mm objectives, and I won't be comparing apples with apples.

What's the best way to compare these, or can it be done in a meaningful way?

Figure out what you want the scope to do and start from there. When I decided on the Swaorvski z55-25X52 I wanted at least 18X on the top end a weight of no more than 18 ounces and very good low light performance and the ability to see small details. It is now on my .257 SLR.

For my .375 I wanted at least 14X on the top end and at least 3" of eye relief. Also I wanted it to be good in low light. I ended up with a Bushnell 4200 4-16XX40.

Maybe this helps you decide what you want. Also I don't much care if others think my ultra light .257 SLR's 52mm scope is too big or my .375's scope doesn't have enough field of view. I practice with it on 16X for quick shooting so when it is on 4X, like when I am hunting, it is like a wide screen T.V.
Oh, I misunderstood. Sorry about that.

No problem. I wish they were and even though the guys at Leupold said that they wouldn't I still want to try fitting an MOA one one it....
I have a VX-6 1-6x24mm illuminated German #4 scope as well, and pondering which of my .375 H&H rifles to mount it on.

I think it would look good on that Talkeetna with the upgraded NECG iron sights.

DF
© 24hourcampfire