Home
So building a 9.3x62. Deciding on a scope. Primary use will be for elk, moose and a future once in a lifetime grizzly hunt. Max range on elk and moose 350 yards. Grizzly probably 200 yards. Choices are as follows:

3x Leupold new version
1.5-5 Leupold
1.75-6 Leupold
3.5-10 Leupold
4x Leupold

Eyes are 46 years old and still aging:) Better off with a larger objective bell or will the smaller ones be fine? Currently running 6x42 and 3.5-10 exclusively so input for this application appreciated.
If a lighter weight scope is wanted then the 2.5-8 Leupold is good.

Once you look through a Conquest you will favor it.

If you have lots of money then Kahles.
From the choices you list (and the applications you're looking at), I'd probably go with the 1.75-6 Leupold.

For my 9.3x62, I'll be running a Zeiss Duralyt 1.2-5. Africa is my main focus for this rifle.
A 3-9x40 Conquest would be my first swing at it. On a long action rifle that kicks some and isn't a flyweight they rule IMHO. Clear, bright as heck, cheap, and the eye relief characteristics (4" constant) will floor you.

From the list, a Leup 2.5-8 if the tube length lets you mount it to your satisfaction.
Originally Posted by 30338
So building a 9.3x62. Deciding on a scope. Primary use will be for elk, moose and a future once in a lifetime grizzly hunt. Max range on elk and moose 350 yards. Grizzly probably 200 yards. Choices are as follows:

3x Leupold new version
1.5-5 Leupold
1.75-6 Leupold
3.5-10 Leupold
4x Leupold

Eyes are 46 years old and still aging:) Better off with a larger objective bell or will the smaller ones be fine? Currently running 6x42 and 3.5-10 exclusively so input for this application appreciated.
............A 3.5x10 for a 9.3x62 cartridge used for hunting,,,is ridiculous imo. Overscopes the round. If you need 10x for bench shooting because of eye issues then that`s a different matter.

Your other four choices would be much better and would keep the rifle lighter. If given a choice my pick would be a 4x if going fixed or the 1.5x5 if preferring a variable.
1.75-6

If it was mine. Id use a Meopta fixed 6
1,75-6 Leupold

If you are serious about hunting the rig and wanting lowlight ability take this scope with the Heavy Duplex Reticle.
From the choices you list I'd probably go with the 1.75-6. I have a Schmidt&Bender 1.5-6x42 on my 9.3x62 which is a good match for this calibre and for the type of game I use this rifle for.
The fixed 3 or 4 would be my pick for this big game only cartridge. I hope it will have sights and the scope will be in quick release rings.
Plan is for rifle to have Talley peep rear base and NECG front sight. Looks like the 1.75-6 is pretty clearly the consensus pick from my list. Thank you all for the input.
I've got a 2.5-8x on mine I use for elk
1.75-6 Leupold
HD Reticle
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
A 3-9x40 Conquest would be my first swing at it. On a long action rifle that kicks some and isn't a flyweight they rule IMHO. Clear, bright as heck, cheap, and the eye relief characteristics (4" constant) will floor you.

From the list, a Leup 2.5-8 if the tube length lets you mount it to your satisfaction.

I pretty much agree with this, but my concern is being able to get a low mounting system. IIRC, the OP is a pretty tall guy, and I can't use Talley Lows with Conquests because of the ocular housing diameter on the Zeiss. Damn stock crawling issues.

3x Leupold new version
1.5-5 Leupold
1.75-6 Leupold
3.5-10 Leupold
4x Leupold

I don't think anything other than the 20mm objective will look appropriate. I think the 1.5-5X would be great.

I had an original 3X, but Leupold wouldn't put LR reticle or a CDS in it so ended up with the 1-4X.

[Linked Image]

If you put a 3-9 Conquest on a 9.3 you should use it to shoot yourself in the balls. Thanks.

Travis
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
A 3.5x10 for a 9.3x62 cartridge used for hunting is ridiculous...

If given a choice my pick would be a 4x.

So, to recap, a 3.5 is too much, but a straight 4 is fine.....got it......
Originally Posted by cmg
1,75-6 Leupold

If you are serious about hunting the rig and wanting lowlight ability take this scope with the Heavy Duplex Reticle.

Even better would be this one with a No. 4 Euro reticle. The 1.75-6x is perfect for one of these, as well as a .375 and .416.
Originally Posted by aalf
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
A 3.5x10 for a 9.3x62 cartridge used for hunting is ridiculous...

If given a choice my pick would be a 4x.

So, to recap, a 3.5 is too much, but a straight 4 is fine.....got it......
...................You seemed to have missed a point or two. A fixed 4x saves on weight which I mentioned. And if a 10x is needed for bench shooting to help any eye issues, then that would be fine which I mentioned as well.

Otherwise for hunting use, a 3.5x10 is overscoping a 9.3x62 cartridge beginning at about 5x or 6x on up.
I'd run a fixed 2.5x, 3x, or 4x if I had a 9.3x62.
Now that we have a couple guys saying what they would use other than something from your list, I will go with that concept. I would install a Bushnell 6500 2 1/2-16X and have a big field of view on the bottom and a pretty good magnification on the top end.

3x Leupold new version
1.5-5 Leupold
1.75-6 Leupold
3.5-10 Leupold
4x Leupold

IMO, you've excluded the best choice, which would be the Leupold VX3 2.5-8.
Light weight, plenty of power adjustment to cover everything from close-in to as far as a 9.3x62 can be reasonably expected to be used.

I've got one on my Ruger African 375 Ruger, and can't really imagine a better choice- several weeks ago, I had the chance to hunt game with the rifle at ranges from point-blank wild hogs to 300 yds at axis deer, and felt the scope choice was perfect. This fall, it will go along on an elk hunt, as a backup rifle- but could just as easily be my primary rifle, with its scope capability.
Originally Posted by Ringman
Now that we have a couple guys saying what they would use other than something from your list, I will go with that concept. I would install a Bushnell 6500 2 1/2-16X and have a big field of view on the bottom and a pretty good magnification on the top end.

I love your sig line, but that choice in glass is about [bleep] stupid.

Travis
If I had a 9.3x62 I wouldn't be using it on anything smaller than VW sized critter so I can't see where a 4x Leupold would be a bad place to be.

I put an older model Swarovski,a 2.5-10x42 with a 4a reticle on my Steyr in 9.3x62.

I used Talley Rings and this rig shoots better than MOA which is a lot more accuracy than you need for what is basically a medium range cartridge.

I like the 10x for shooting at paper,and the 2.5x gives me plenty of field of view in the thick stuff.
If a fella was to use Talley bases and rings, having a couple of scopes sighted in for it would not be out of the question. Maybe a 6x42 and lighter bullets and a 3x sighted in for 320 Woodleighs.
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Ringman

I love your sig line, but that choice in glass is about [bleep] stupid.

Travis

+1 on both counts.
I have a 4x Leupold with #4 reticle that will be on my Brno 9.3x62
I put a Leupold VX-3 3.5x10x40 on mine!
I've had my 9.3x62 for a decade now, and the scope has always been a 4x33 Leupold. Hunted it from Alaska to South Africa, taking everything from deer-sized game to moose at 25-300 yards. Never have wanted more or less magnification.
Hmm, I don't know I'd be thinking T10... wink

Dober
That would be PERFECT for coyotes! I've heard the 9.3x62 and 286 Nosler solids doesn't damage pelets much...
VX-6 1-6x24mm with a German #4....
I put my 9.3 together (an FN based custom) in 2000 and threw a well used 2.5-8X Leupold on it then and have been happy ever since. It's very first outing in 2002 below. In fact, if all of my rifles, from the 22 Hornet to the 416 Rem, wore the same scope life would be closer to perfect. grin

[Linked Image]
If you like using your Leupold 6x42 then put it on your rifle and see how if you like it there also. There's no law against using a 6x scope on a 9.3x62
I've had my 9.3x62 for two years, it's been to Africa twice. Have a Leupold 3x and it works every time on everything. Going back to RSA and Zim next June.
Before I traded away my 9.3x62mm for a very nice Ugartechea SxS I had a Weaver 4x on it and also peep sights for awhile.
Really appreciate everyone's feedback. Also excited to see how warmly the 9.3 x62 is regarded. Should be a great addition, parts are collected or on order now for it.

Probably a lot of scopes that would work well but I have it narrowed down further now thanks to everyones input.

Leupold VX-3 1.5-5x20, 1.75-6x32 or 2.5-8x36 for me. May also consider the new Leupold fixed 3x SFWA offers or fixed 4x but prefer the variables.
My pre 64 M70 was built for the same purpose as yours: elk, grizz and moose. So, VX3 1.75-6. I tried the HD Duplex but didn't like it. Just a personal thing. Went with same scope but std duplex; much better!

http://riflestockpainting.com/images/AG9362.jpg

It now has CDS on top.

[Linked Image]

I'm good to 500 with the 250 Accubond running 2600.

[Linked Image]
Alan
I currently have two '62s, one on a pre 64 Model 70, and one on an FN Mauser. Have always used low power variables, no higher than 2-7 or fixed 3s or 4s. Particularly like the #4 reticule with this rifle.

Here's the FN with it's Leupold 3X that will be with me this Fall.

[Linked Image]

I can clean the pig rail at 300 meters with this outfit using 286 gr bullets with no problem at all.

The pre 64 has a 4X Leupold on it.

Ted

I had a Leup 2-7 on mine but switched to a 1-4X20 when they were closing out the VXII for VX2 (I think I have that right). It shoots just as well w/o the higher power scope. I just think the CZ 550 looks right with the walnut, dual cross bolts, and the 20mm front ring. I just looks �safari� to me although with the current economy and my 401k, I doubt it will every take anything more exotic than elk and black bear it has been used on.

For practical purposes, the Leupold fixed 4X would be perfect.
For practical purposes, the Leupold fixed 4X would be perfect.

That statement is blaspheme. Who can think about practical when emotions are involved?
4x33
Hi, I would pick the 4x or the 1.5x5. I have a 4x on my 8x57, my 35 Whelen and my 375 Wby, my 378 Wby has a 1.5x5 on it. Randy

3x Leupold new version
1.5-5 Leupold
1.75-6 Leupold
3.5-10 Leupold
4x Leupold

Love the 9.3 x 62!!!

ANY of these are the gold standard. What's wrong with another 6 x 42?
Elk make me want the 3.5 x 10
Nice set up GSSP!

Travis
Travis, how did your 9.3 project turn out? Last time we chatted you were planning a Spring bear hunt.

Ted
I have a Leupold VXII 2-7x33 on my 9.3x62 which I really like ( I also have one on a 358 Winchester). Based on the scopes listed, I too would pick the 1.75X6. It should provide all the magnification needed for the range of your 9.3.
I will probably eventually end up with the 1.75x6, but am buying Utah708s 3x Leupold for now. I have a 458 that is needing a scope as well so worst case, I will use it a while on the 9.3 and if it doesn't work out, it goes on the 458. Lot of good feedback on here and appreciated all of it. Thank you
© 24hourcampfire