Home
Well my 40 plus year old Redfield Tracker 3x-9x40mm finally bit the dust. So, I'm in the markert for a new scope. Like a variable with a top end of 14 to 16x so open to suggestions.

Thanks!
Those old redfields were tough wern't they. Hard and time consuming to get the dang things serviced now days though...My first thougt was leupold VX3 4.5-14x40 but there are so many good scopes out there right now. Let me ask a few questions: What are your weight restrictions (if any), do you need side focus or adjustable objective, how do you feel about twisting turrets or would you prefer a ballistic plex type reticle???
I have a Leupold VX3 4.5-14x40 on my 40 year old BDL in 270 I gave my youngest son. It's a great scope. This Redfield was the orignal scope that was on it. That 270 still shoots nickel sized groups at 100 yards. I'm not sure how good this Weatherby shoots yet, but I'm looking at the VX-6 3-18x Leupold and maybe the 3-15x Burris Eliminator III? I'm looking it as a long range rig.
You may want to look at the Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 also. Illuminated reticle is also pretty cool....
I'm using a Leica ER 3.5-14x42 on my 257 Wby and really like it. The view is crystal clear with great ER. It also has good light transmission for dusk/dawn patrols. I bought mine used in the classifieds but Cameraland has some demos that are priced right. I think it would work really well on a 270 Wby.

Eric
Thanks!
X 2 the Leupold VX3 4.5x14x40.
If you can find one a Zeiss Conquest 2.5-8x32
Thats what I have on my 270 WBY
Not a scope answer but would be interested to see how the new 150 grain long range Accubond shoots in that.
I put a plain Jane Conquest 3-9x40 with Talley Screwlocks on mine.
I have a Bushnell Elite 4200 2-10x50 on my 270 WSM. I'm very happy with it thus far.

Dan
Originally Posted by 30338
Not a scope answer but would be interested to see how the new 150 grain long range Accubond shoots in that.

Me too, plan is to shoot 150g Partitions for big game until they come out, 90g Sierra HPBTs for plinking and varmints.
I have been very pleased with the Zeiss Conquest Line. Currently have the 4.5-14, the 3.5-10 and a 3-9. All of them are really, really good. If you are set on something 14-16x on the top end, I highly recommend the Conquest. Were it mine, I'd opt the .270 Wby with the 3-9 equipped with the Zeiss Target Turrets and #4 reticle. While all the Conquest are good, the 3-9s are the best of the bunch...

John
Thanks John. I've had a 3x9 as my primary scope most of my life, but want to do some longer range shooting and with my old eyes need a bit more magnification. I am looking at the Leupold VX-6 3-18x50mm too, but it's a bit pricey. Zeiss even the less expensive Conquest line have wonderful optics so I will definitely look at the 4.5-14.
Be sure to get it with their target turrets.

John
Like a variable with a top end of 14 to 16x so open to suggestions.

How about a scope with a huge field of view on the bottom and a good magnification on the top? I can think of three:

Bushnell 2 1/2-16X
Leupold 3-18X
Swarovki 3 1/2-18X
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
I have been very pleased with the Zeiss Conquest Line. Currently have the 4.5-14, the 3.5-10 and a 3-9. All of them are really, really good. If you are set on something 14-16x on the top end, I highly recommend the Conquest. Were it mine, I'd opt the .270 Wby with the 3-9 equipped with the Zeiss Target Turrets and #4 reticle. While all the Conquest are good, the 3-9s are the best of the bunch...

John

Hondo, I can't get used to the damn reversed direction turrets......
Originally Posted by colorado
Thanks John. I've had a 3x9 as my primary scope most of my life, but want to do some longer range shooting and with my old eyes need a bit more magnification. I am looking at the Leupold VX-6 3-18x50mm too, but it's a bit pricey. Zeiss even the less expensive Conquest line have wonderful optics so I will definitely look at the 4.5-14.

Life is short. Get what you really want and don't look back. smile
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Hondo, I can't get used to the damn reversed direction turrets......

Kinda counterintuitive aren't they? I still have to double check by looking at the arrow too. I think they are still the best deal going though. Love the optics. Picture is far better than anything I have found in the same price range. The clicks on thier target turrets are precise and repeatable. The reticles are very crisp, and the scopes aren't unreasonbly heavy.

I only wish they made a fixed 6x42, but I have a 6x42 Diatal in route to cover that. grin

John
Zeiss Conquest with Rapid Z 800 reticle. Works perfect with a 270wby. 4x16x50.
Swaroski 4-12x50 or 5-25x52.
Have both with the ballistic turret and they work great. Super light weight and light transmission is amazing. If your had the redfield that long then I would worry about a few extra dollars as you will prolly keep it forever
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
Be sure to get it with their target turrets.

John

Hi John, I looked at the Cameraland sale and they have the Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50mm AO MC on sale with the Rapid Z 800 reticle. I'm going to call them and see what choices I have with turrets.
© 24hourcampfire