Home
Posted By: Oregon45 SWFA "Super Sniper" 6x Scope? - 12/15/12
Anybody running one of SWFA's Super Sniper 6x scopes? If so, how do you like it? How repeatable are the adjustments and how has the scope held up under recoil?
Durability and reliability wise they are outstanding. The adjustments are perfect.
Formi,

does that mean this scope lacks in the "optics" department (resolution, FOV, color rentition) and size/weight wise?

Or am I reading to much into what was left out in your post?

I have one mounted on my AR and optics are really good on these. I think they offer alot of scope for the $$$$$ . Turrets track really well too.
Originally Posted by cmg
Formi,

does that mean this scope lacks in the "optics" department (resolution, FOV, color rentition) and size/weight wise?

Or am I reading to much into what was left out in your post?

Not at all. The glass is very good, about like newer Leupolds, but what makes these scopes special is that they simply don't break, have tracking issues, or lose zero.
They have a great price too, I may have to get one imported into Canada sometime next year they sound good
I have had a 10x42 for many years. Mechanically it is superb - precise, consistent, one of the most durable scopes you will ever use. Optically it is adequate - maybe Bushnell 3200-ish. One of the best values in scopes IMHO.
The new fixed power versions have better glass than the old ones. The 10x42 HD and 5-20x50 HD are optically great.
My 10x kicks ass.
Has anyone compared the SS 6X optically with the Leupold FXIII 6X42?

All reports are that the SS 6X is very reliable and tracks perfectly.

Thanks

Just got mine from another member here on the 'fire. I'm impressed. This is an absolute tank of a scope. First thing to recognize is that, although it is only 6x, it is a big scope. Here's a comparison pic with a Leupold 6x36:

[Linked Image]

I mounted it on my Winchester M70 300WSM in a pair of Warne medium 30mm rings. The rings are a bit high for my taste but they were the only 30mm rings I had on hand. Brought the rifle's weight up to almost 9lbs:

[Linked Image]

The view through the scope is very nice. Easily as bright as a Leupold FXII 6x42 (I haven't tried an FX3 6x42) although the colors are a bit less saturated. The reticle is sharp and well defined. I ran the adjustments through their range while watching the cross-hairs on my collimator (a Leupold magnetic unit) and the adjustments were positive and repeatable throughout.

All in all a nice scope, and I'm looking forward to shooting with it. If it works out I can definitely see picking up a 10x in the future.
Eye relief Rob?
Comparable to the Leupold FXII and M8 6x42's I've had. I could have mounted the scope a 1/2" further forward than I did and still had good eye relief. The short length of the rear section of the tube might make mounting dicey on some rifles, but given that many of these scopes will be mounted on Weaver/Picatinny rails that likely won't be an issue. It wasn't on my M70 (with Warne bases) but I could see it being an issue on a long action with certain types of mounts.
Where the power selector would be if a variable, is that the 'AO'?
Yes, it is marked down to 10m and I found I could focus down to about 25 feet so it's pretty close. The AO focus throw is short, however, about 1 1/2" total travel between 10m and infinity. The focus action is well damped, and it doesn't feel like it will move on its own. The eyepiece is a quick focus type and also feels quite positive.
Might have to give one a whirl, thanks.
Thought seriously about one of these but have hesitated due to the weight and SS not offering an HD version in 6x. Having never read anything bad about them, I may still need to give one a go...

John
Posted By: Nrut Re: SWFA "Super Sniper" 6x Scope? - 01/14/13
Originally Posted by gerrygoat
They have a great price too, I may have to get one imported into Canada sometime next year they sound good

Only way would be to sneak it across since SWFA won't export them..
Sadly, or I would order a 6X, and their 3-9 ..
Originally Posted by Grady8541
I have had a 10x42 for many years. Mechanically it is superb - precise, consistent, one of the most durable scopes you will ever use. Optically it is adequate - maybe Bushnell 3200-ish. One of the best values in scopes IMHO.

Have others found the same to be true regarding the SS glass? I had a 3200 10X tactical and to my eyes it was a step down from my 6X42 and 3.5-10 leupolds. Also I found the 10X 3200 could not be focused much closer than 100 yds. I'm thinking a 6x SS would be about perfect on my 10-22, if it can be focsused for closer range.
I would say that the SS 10x's glass that I have is better than the Bushy 10x I had.
The 20x I have on our large rifle has been more than what we paid for it. Sure its not a nightforce or such, but its been a superb scope and its stood up to the pounding of the large gun for quite some time. Very repeatable. And acceptable optics quality. For me anyway.

I would not choose it to be the best choice early/late optics if that was a serious issue. Of course there I feel that conquest is the best bang for the buck hands down.
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
I found the 10X 3200 could not be focused much closer than 100 yds. I'm thinking a 6x SS would be about perfect on my 10-22, if it can be focsused for closer range.

You can focus close - 10 yards if I remember correctly.
My SWFA 6x42 will focus down to 25 feet; I'm going to switch it over to my Anschutz 54 for use on an indoor rimfire range. The view at close focus is very clear and well defined and the reticle stays sharp.
Originally Posted by Grady8541
I found the 10X 3200 could not be focused much closer than 100 yds. I'm thinking a 6x SS would be about perfect on my 10-22, if it can be focsused for closer range.

You can focus close - 10 yards if I remember correctly.

I don't care what it's rated for, the scope I had was incapable of providing a clear image closer than 50 yds.
If you mean 3200, I agree. If you mean SS (what I was referring to), I do not.
As I said originally, the 3200 would not focus for closer ranges, even 50 yds was marginal. For the $170 I paid it wasn't a bad scope, but didn't meet my needs so went down the road.

Sounds like the SS should do the trick for my uses.
As I said originally, the 3200 would not focus for closer ranges, even 50 yds was marginal. For the $170 I paid it wasn't a bad scope, but didn't meet my needs so went down the road.

Sounds like the SS should do the trick for my uses.

I've had three of the 10x and they're great scopes, especially for the money. I looked at the new 6x MQ (like that reticle) for my T3 SL, but it's just too damn big/heavy for that rifle.

Sure wish they made a 1" tube LW version of this scope. Probably put it on all my rifles...
© 24hourcampfire