Home
Just wondering what people think of the "newer" Leica rifle scopes??

They look like high-end glass at a decent price - gimme your thoughts, good or bad!!

Looking at scopes for my son's 30-06 hunting rifle I am building him.
You can't do any better. I assume you are talking about an ER.
There is some tube effect at the low end.... Color contrast brightness is superb

Crosshairs razor thin on the plex and not much better on the #4, have to go to the 1
ER's are awesome! I use a 3.5-14x42 on my 257 Wby. It's very confidence inspiring! Low light performance is great, clarity is superb. I like the plex reticle.

Eric
Eric, how much are the 3.5-14x42 ER's?
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Eric, how much are the 3.5-14x42 ER's?

$1,479 new.

http://cameralandny1.reachlocal.net/optics/site.pl?page=leica50018

I bought mine used on the Fire. Great decision!

Eric
Cool, I'll have to look into one of those. Thanks buddy..
Great optics. I have an ER and a Zeiss Victory FL and consider the Leica right there with it for optic quality. to be honest,I cannot tell much of a difference. i do like the Leica eye relief better but as noted above the cross hairs are a little thin.

Long tube layout makes them very easy to mount.
I have not found anything with better glass. Some equal it but I haven't used any that surpass it. I've had 2 and still own one. I bought a 3.5-14 with standard turret and then sold it and bouth the one with target turret. The target turret has a zero stop and gives 20 moa on a revolution. It can move fairly easily though so you have to watch it. Reticle is thin but the glass is so good that by the time I lose the reticle it's way past leegal shooting light. Mine have both been pretty tough. No movements or changes at all. They have been on a .280AI and 6.5-284 and now it sits on a 300 RUM. No problems yet.

I own or have owned Zeiss, Swaro, NF, Kahles, S&B and have compared it to all of them.

Lee

Lee
Originally Posted by SAKO75
Crosshairs razor thin on the plex and not much better on the #4, have to go to the 1

I think I could really like Leica's #1 for hunting in the woods or low light, a very interesting reticle at least with the post tapering to a sharp point.
Optics are very good, reticle is thin but after sundown last night I had no problem seeing it against a 500 meter target. Having the POI move left when you turn the windage knob towars "R" takes some getting used to. Mine is a 2.5 x 10 ER.
I Love Leica Bino's, Spotter's and rangefinder's they are awesome at a PREMIUM price.

Leica rifle scopes are very good at a PREMIUM price making them not a good value to me.......you can find better in the same price range.
Does Leica make them or have them made by someone else??
Originally Posted by smokepole
Having the POI move left when you turn the windage knob towars "R" takes some getting used to. Mine is a 2.5 x 10 ER.

I'm glad to know that, as it could save some frustration. I bought this same scope last night.
Any pics of the Leica with the target turrets??

Any pics of any Leica scopes all mounted up??
I can snap one tonight.
Here is my Leica ER 3.5-14x42 on a HCR 257 Wby custom sheep rifle.

Eric

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by rockchuck828
I Love Leica Bino's, Spotter's and rangefinder's they are awesome at a PREMIUM price.

Leica rifle scopes are very good at a PREMIUM price making them not a good value to me.......you can find better in the same price range.

I have a Leica and think it is a great value at 1,500 as it is cmparable in optics quality to a Swaro Z6 and Ziess Vicotry. But, would be very curious as to what scope you think compares and is an even better value as i am in the market for a new scope or two and am always looking for that extra value if it exists.
Most "premium" hunting optics are all glass and no features. Most of them aren't worth the money to me. They lack good knobs, side-focus, useful reticles, etc. If I were a rich man, for hunting I'd have an S&B PM-II 3-12x with Gen II mil-dot on a sporter rifle.
I guess different strokes for different folks-

99% of the time, Never saw the need for a side focus for a hunting scope, unless you're sniping at game from great distances...

Things like adequate eye relief, forgiving eyebox, low light capability and repeatable adjustment make a good hunting scope in my opinion.

I've spent some time with one and it's every bit as good as my Zeiss Diavari 2.5-10.
I got one sent over from Doug last week with the #1 reticle. Haven't got to the range yet, hopefully this weekend. But just mucking with it, dry firing practice at stuff down the back I'm really liking it.
I bought it hoping that it would be good for smashing ferals by moonlight in open pasture as well as general duties of course.
From messing about over the last few nights it's all I hoped for and more!
I haven't had any previous experience with top end scopes and the light gathering ability and crisp picture is really a world apart from the $500 stuff. Worth every cent I think.
I was a bit worried that the post reticle would [bleep] me but in practise it is great. The fine point means that nothing of what you want to hit is hidden by reticle and should allow for the same precision as a fine crosshair. will let you know how range day goes.
Originally Posted by 163bc
Does Leica make them or have them made by someone else??

it is 100% Leica

For those interested, we got a bunch from the Leica SHOT Show booth that we purchased:

Here is the Link to our Leica demo page that our web builder will be posting these on.

We got in:

050-010 ER 2.5-10X42 LP - $1099.99

050-011 ER 2.5-10X42 4A - $1099.99

050-012 ER 2.5-10X42 BR - $1099.99

050-015 ER 2.5 10X42 W/IBS Reticle - $1099.99

051-010 ER 3.5-14X42 LP - $1129.99

051-011 ER 3.5-14X42 4A - $1129.99

051-015 ER 3.5-14X42 IBS - $1149.99

050-022 ER 2.5-10X42 TT Ballistic - $1149.99

051-020 ER 3.5-14X42 TT L-Plex - $1199.99

051-025 ER 3.5 14X42TT W/ IBS Reticle - $1229.99

050-020 ER 2.5-10X42 TT L-Plex - $1099.99

059-000 Sunshade LEICA ER - $39.99

Please feel free to call me or Neil @ 212-753-5128 with any questions
Originally Posted by 300MAG
Any pics of the Leica with the target turrets??

Any pics of any Leica scopes all mounted up??

Not good light, the scope doesn't actually look this bulky, it's a 2.5 X 10:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I just bought a Leica ER 2.5-10x42 because it probably want be long before the price of these new Leica's rise to the price points of competitive quality scopes.
Those prices Doug shows above for the Demo scopes are hard to beat.
Doug
Do the demo Leica scopes have lifetime warranties?
Smokepole,

How are the "clicks" on the turrets = are they spongy or are they tight and crisp??
They're softer than I'd like but there's an adjustment screw on the center of the top of the turret that may tighten 'em up, I'm not sure about that though. I just haven't messed with it, only had the scope out at the range once. Been messing with a new S&B lately, that's been occupying my attention.
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Doug
Do the demo Leica scopes have lifetime warranties?

What they term "Certified Pre-Owned" on riflescopes have a 10 year warranty
Doug, since you're Leica's Big Kahuna you need to remind them that for a premium alpha maker (or compared to most anybody really), they have a really schittty warranty. They ought to be ashamed of themselves commanding such prices and offering this crap for a demo/pre owned. Some Chinese stuff has better warranties. They do make great products though, I'll give you that.
I have forwarded your thoughts to the correct folks at Leica
I've had a 3.5-14 with a #1 reticle for over a year on my sporter 7STW. Took a nice bull elk last year right at daylight. Its very clear and hasn't given me the least problem. Like the poster above, I think the #1 is a great all around reticle. The heavy post is great for the dark timber of the NW, but it comes to a perfect sharp point on the top of the post for precise shooting at longer range.
I also have a Swaro Z5 3.5-18 on my ULA and they're very close in which I'd choose if I could only have one. Maybe the Z5 is slightly crisper, but its very close. The Z5 is lighter by just over 2oz for those who care about 2oz.
I REALLY like them both.
Although my Zeiss conquest 4.5-14 z800 is pretty darn nice for 1/2 the price. I'd also like to get my hands on a Leupold VX6 3-18.
I have an ER 3.5-14x42 for sale in the classifieds: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...ica_ER_3_5_14x42_w_Plex_reti#Post7363119

The only reason I'm selling is because I bought the same scope with TTs (one of the SHOT show demos). If you're looking to step up into a Leica ER this is a good buy.

Eric
© 24hourcampfire