Home
A couple weeks ago I got one of these from Doug. I have had it to the range about 10 different days in temps from 12-50 degrees, sometimes with bad mirage sometimes not. Basically quite a few different conditions.

Overall I am thinking this is the best "hunting" scope I have owned but will wait til next winter to officially make that claim grin. The 3 power is wide enough for very close shots and I would think 15 power is good to 1000 yards or for small targets.

I have the locking turret version and I really like the turrets. They have positive clicks and they repeat everytime so far. They are also very accurate in the adjustment amount, 16 moa adjustment at 100 yards is just over 16" in POI.

There is a zero stop that is very easy to set up and use. Like the CDS it only goes one turn and stops in both directions (was hoping for unlimited upward travel). There is a total of 18 MOA per turn and 16.5 MOA between the stops.

All adjustments...parallex, eyepiece, power ring all move freely and precisely.

Scope weighs about 18 oz and has 70 MOA (mine actually has 78 moa)

The glass is bright, clear, has good contrast and not too much glare while looking toward the sun. I find it very easy to get behind even on 15 power, quite a bit more forgiving than the VX3 LR. It is not as sharp at long range as I would have thought. Basically just a little better than my vortex viper HS and not quite as good as my VX3 LR. Plenty good enough for hunting but at 400 yard targets I am not able to make out bullet holes in white paper which I can see with the VX3. The only complaint I have with the scope is sharpness at long range, and it really doesn't matter for hunting.

Overall I think these are going to be very popular due to the 1" tube, mid weight, nice size reticle (not too thin or too thick) and precise adjustments.

Thought a few of you would like to hear the thoughts of one sample. I would be happy to answer any questions I can.

Gary
Thanks for the review, I'm really jonesing for one of these.

Probably a stupid question on my part:

It has one rotation up and one rotation down?

16.5 MOA per full rotation?

Hpw do you get 78 MOA out of it?

Thanks.
Not a stupid question. With the zero stop you only get 16.5 MOA of total movement. With the zero stop removed you can dial a total of 70 MOA or 78 in my case. There are a total of 18 moa per turn but the zero stop is a post that limits movement in both directions. The thickness of the post eliminates 1.5 moa so you end up with 16.5 of upward movement after adjusting zero stop to your zero. Very similiar to a CDS type deal except the ZS in the zeiss is a horizontal and a verticle post that contact each other.

Gary
Great. Thanks.

Now, how well does the lock work? IMO you don't need a zero stop if your turret locks. Is it like the Diavari where it's spring loaded and you gotta pull it up to be able to rotate it?

It is not spring loaded just a rubber O ring that creates a bit of friction. Just pull it up, turn the turret and push it back down. It will stay up or down on its own, needs to be physically moved. I really like it.

I personally prefer a zero stop just in case I go over one full turn and forget where I am. I can get out 700 yards with my creedmoor at 16.5 MOA so not a big deal but thought it was worth mentioning.

Gary
Thanks the thread Gary. Any chance of some close up pics of the adjustments on the scope - power ring, parralex and elevation/windage?
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This is the Zero Stop, the two bars (horizontal and verticle intersect to stop movement in both directions) The verticle post can be removed easily to disable the ZS

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
some more pics

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Thanks for the details.....excellent stuff and great pics.
Thanks very much Gary. Looks like a really nice scope.
Gary:

Will you post the length of the objective bell, please? From the front back to the juncture with the 1" tube.

Thanks,
tom
Here you go. The end of the tape is even with the end of scope, although it doesn't look like it in the picture.

Gary

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by 8nbait
some more pics

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I like the peg board idea! I may have to steal that as I get tired of digging through a box for my cleaning apparati!
Thanks Gary.

At the juncture in the picture, the length of the objective appears to 4 1/2"...right?

Interesting the resolving comparison results at 400 yards against the VX3LR. Was that a 40mm Leup set at 14x for the comparison?

Yeah I got tired of digging them out also. I just used a piece of shelf board and laid out a grid and drilled holes at the intersections. Then I labeled the rows per caliber so it was easy to grab what I needed and put it back.

Right at 4 1/2 - 4 5/8 to the 1" section.

40 mm Leupy was on 14 and zeiss was on 15. I would not take anything away from the zeiss probably just my eyes. I am really liking the Zeiss, eye relief is better for me at max power as well as much easier to acquire target in scope. The adjustments have been very repeatable and precise. It is a little longer and has the larger eyepiece which may be a problem for 90* bolt lift. The rifle I have it on is 60* so no problems there.

Gary
Hey Gary,

What ring height are you running with this scope? It looks to be sitting nice and low. I really like the looks of these.

Thanks,

David
Do those target style turrets come standard? Or do you have to send it to Zeiss? I have found a few pics online, and most don't show those style turrets.
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Do those target style turrets come standard? Or do you have to send it to Zeiss? I have found a few pics online, and most don't show those style turrets.

You can order them that way. No pic here, but it's in the description.

http://swfa.com/Zeiss-3-15x42-Conquest-HD5-Rifle-Scope-P60843.aspx
So, it doesn't hold up to the Leupie at long range? Have you tried looking at things even further out, say 600 or 800 yards? How does it compare?
Mine is on a Rem 700 and that's 90 degree bolt lift,I have no problem,plus scope is mounted as low as can be.
This scope is sorta tugging at me....not sure "why" grin
Bob, anything what needs killin' can be kilt with a 4x. And without all them newfangled moving parts!
Jeff you're right!But I like to play, too!Sometimes bigger scopes are fun and have some benefits. smile

Besides I am thinking downstream a bit and would like to go Coues hunting....the Coues experts on here saya scope like this is a good idea....having seen a few of the little slate grey deer,I believe them.They are elfin little creatures,hard to see.Time to leave my old 4X's at home. smile
Talley Lows.

The difference is minimal but to my eyes it is there. Not a problem on game. No problem looking at targets just not able to make out bullet holes at 400 yards in most conditions.

There are two options with the 3-15...Plex and Turrets or Rapid Z and standard turrets.

I still like it better than the leupy just more user friendly IMO. I have sold off all my leupy's and plan on another one or two of these. I hunt eastern woods and western Mountain/sage and this scope will do all that. The field of view on 4.5 on the leupy is a little too tight for 40-50' shots in timber.

Again, just one man's opinion and your experience may be different. grin

Gary
I know we're maybe talking apples and oranges here but how would these scopes compare to the Swaro z5? Anyone made that comparison? I'm starting a 264 WinMag build and considering glass options now. The price point on these iamuch more tolerable. But how is the comparison?
I have a z5 swaro 5-25x52 and love it. I just received my new zeiss 5-25x50 today and look forward to trying it out. Was gonna order the older mc conquest but everything on this one works just like my swaro so I figured I would be better off with the new hd. Neil at camera land was great to deal with and I had my scope in today that I ordered Thursday am. Quick and knowable about all questions asked.
Originally Posted by NMSSHOOTER
I have a z5 swaro 5-25x52 and love it. I just received my new zeiss 5-25x50 today and look forward to trying it out. Was gonna order the older mc conquest but everything on this one works just like my swaro so I figured I would be better off with the new hd. Neil at camera land was great to deal with and I had my scope in today that I ordered Thursday am. Quick and knowable about all questions asked.

Looking forward to your comparison between the two ?
Yeah. Tried to mount it but medium talley are not high enough for my sendero
This is the comparison I'm looking for as well. I've gotta make a purchase in the couple months so I'm looking for information.
From a quick observation not mounted on my gun yet, the crosshair post are alittle heavier than the Z5. If I have any complaint against the Z5 this would be it. It will get you well beyond shooting hours but after selling my Z3 4-12 I wish the reticle was alittle heavier. The other thing I noticed was the Z5 seemed to have a wider field of view(meaning the picture went all the way to the edges). Hope to get it mounted up within the next few days and try it out on paper.
Originally Posted by NMSSHOOTER
From a quick observation not mounted on my gun yet, the crosshair post are alittle heavier than the Z5. If I have any complaint against the Z5 this would be it. It will get you well beyond shooting hours but after selling my Z3 4-12 I wish the reticle was alittle heavier. The other thing I noticed was the Z5 seemed to have a wider field of view(meaning the picture went all the way to the edges). Hope to get it mounted up within the next few days and try it out on paper.

Well quit screwin' around and get to it, will ya? smile
Thanks NMS. What part of North Miss.?

David Walker
New Albany.
Got scope mounted today. Ended up going with leaupolds with high rings. Tried to use warns but couldn't get them to center up on the bore sighted graph. Only had a few inches of adjustment left according to bore sighted. When I got home it was 7 1/2" off to the left so I prolly could have used the warns like I wanted. Hate to say this early but tracking seems to be spot on. Every adjustment I made tracked rite, although I only move poi 3 or 4 times. So far the scope is performing great. Will let y'all know more when I can get it back out again
Good deal NMS. Glad to hear it's tracking rite. I'm leaning hard toward the 3-15x44. Seems like a great value. I love my Zeiss Victory binos and have used a couple Conquest scopes
I used a 3-9 conquest this hunting season and it worked perfectly. Haven't had time to do a lot of comparing yet but I think I'm gonna really like the hd5.
Ive played with the hd5 somemore and continue to be impressed. We shot out to 500 yards a couple days ago and it tracked perfectly and returned to zero as expected. I couldnt be any happier with it. I have still not had it out at last light to compare to the swaro Z5 yet but I know the reticle is going to be better in the zeiss. The swaro plex in the z5 is thinner than the zeiss but is well capable of shooting after legal shooting hours. I will say that the swaro may be a bit clearer but the margin is very marginal. If I went to buy another high magnification scope today I would buy the Zeiss simply for the $ I could save. If I see and more differences in the scopes I will let yall know. I have told two of my close freinds that from what Ive seen so far I would recomend the hd5 when they rescope. I dont think you could go wrong with either. Hope this helps
Just the LotuTec coatings would be enough to give it the edge over another scope without it.
I am curious about the not as sharp as the Leupold LR at long range, is it a focus issue?
The best leaupold I have used is the vx3, 30mm but in my opinion the zeiss is the sharper of the two. Jmho
tag
Originally Posted by x2mosg
I know we're maybe talking apples and oranges here but how would these scopes compare to the Swaro z5? Anyone made that comparison? I'm starting a 264 WinMag build and considering glass options now. The price point on these iamuch more tolerable. But how is the comparison?
I would bet the z5 would beat it handily. I had an hd5 3-15 and a swaro z3 side by side and the swaro won that match. Clarity was close and the swaro was a good bit brighter at dusk.
I had an hd5 3-15 and a swaro z3 side by side

Not sure you can compare a 3x zoom versus a 5x and reach any valid conclusions.

To me, the large price differential has to be factor too.
There isn't much of a price difference between the hd5 and the z3. Guess its not an apples to apples comparison, but the swaro still is a good bit brighter. I could see details much clearer for 15 minutes longer. Really doesn't matter, both are more than whats needed.
He might have been suggesting that a closer comparison would be between a Z5 and the HD5. There is a $500 price difference approx. between those two lines.
got ya
Originally Posted by RDFinn
He might have been suggesting that a closer comparison would be between a Z5 and the HD5. There is a $500 price difference approx. between those two lines.

Yes, and I was also suggesting that the 3x zoom scope has a built in optical advantage versus the 5x zoom scope in regards to clarity and brightness.

Regarding cost, I have seen the HD5 at close to 1/2 the price of the Z5.

Originally Posted by WhelenAway

Yes, and I was also suggesting that the 3x zoom scope has a built in optical advantage versus the 5x zoom scope in regards to clarity and brightness.

There is no question about that just from the simple fact that the 5x and 6x zoom scopes have more lenses and are more complex in their design. At least, that's what I've read anyway.
© 24hourcampfire