Home
I just picked up a used scope at a local gun shop. It's a Leupold & the Objective Bell is marked as follows: "2x7 VARI-X II". H111023 is etched on the bottom.

The scope is approximately 11" long, the Ocular bell measures 1.55" and the Objective Bell measures 1.36", and it has low profile turrets.

I can't find the exact scope on-line so I was wondering if someone might have an idea about it's age or value. There is a couple of ring marks but the rest of the scope is in excellent shape.

Thanks for your help.
My friend just bought one exactly like that for $150.00.
That is an older very good scope and I agree about $150.00 value.
I believe that is the 2-7x28 Leupold Vari-X II.

It is early 80's or earlier. I have that one,
and it is a very nice lightweight scope. It pairs up
very well with a small lightweight rifle.
The Vari-X II is the two generations old version of that Leupold scope, its successors being the VX-II and VX-2 in that order. Or maybe I should say two and a half generations since there was an improvement during the VX-II period.

The one you have is has single coated lenses and friction adjustments.

When the VX-II first came out it had coin slot click adjustments and Multicoat-4 on the external lenses. After a while it was improved to Multicoat-4 throughout.

The VX-2 has finger twist click adjustments, and Leupold's index matched lens coatings. It's the one being sold online now.
Thanks for all the quick responses. That's very helpful.
I've had one since the early 1980's. It has served me well for many years and has never leaked or fogged up and it has been soaked many times when I lived in the Pacific Northwest.

Sent it back to Leupold once because it developed a film on the front lens and the adjustments went wonky. They replaced the lens and fixed the scope and it is still working.

One advantage to them is that the mounting length for rings is almost 5.5", the newer versions are only about 5.2". The newer ones won't fit on my custom 7X57 and the old Vari-X II just barely does.

The main disadvantage I've found is it shows much more glare from low sun angles than newer Leupold scopes. So it will go into retirement as soon as a new Leupold 4X arrives.
The serial number with H prefix indicates is was produced in 1977
© 24hourcampfire