Home
Not really stack up all that well in it's price range? I've looked at a few and it seems to me that the comparable VX-2 or new Weaver Grand Slam is more scope for the money and the Meopta Meopro, Leupold VX-3 and Weaver Super Slam simply smack it around optically? I've had a couple of chances to compare them to the afore mentioned scopes and come away unimpressed. Maybe it's just me.
This thread is in no way meant as a knock on the Conquest which was one of the very best at it's price point.
JB found the eye relief of the 3-9x42 Terra dips under 3" at 6x and 9x. That's a deal breaker for me, no matter what its other qualities may be.
I have five of the Conquest 3-9x40 with the RapidZ 600. I'm extremely disappointed that it has been discontinued and find nothing appealing in the new line. I've actually just spent the last half hour on the Zeiss website hoping to find some option I can live with in the new lineup. Nothing I see is worth a damn. It's like they have a bunch of engineers who are great with the technical side of the process but know nothing about the application.
greentimber, you can still get the 3-9 through OpticsPlanet...

http://www.opticsplanet.com/zeiss-opmod-conquest-limited-edition-3-9x40-rifle-scope.html
Damn - I'm glad I picked up my Conquest with the Rapid Z when I did! Just need a rifle for it now - hehe...
You can also get a Cabelas euro/Meopta 3-9x42 for around $400. The Terra may be slightly cheaper ($50?) but Meopta makes killer stuff and this example would make me forget the Terra even existed. The more I use Meopta stuff the more impressed I am, FWIW.
The Terra line was only produced so that Zeiss could paste their name on a cheap scope and market the name to the unwashed masses.
It would be great if Meopta used an adjustment knob like the Conquest or Swarovskis I have.
If Meopta would come out with an elevation turret, it would be all I would own. My meopro is a really nice little scope so far.
I bought a 3-9 Conquest demo for $299.00 and 3-10 Rapid Z for $529.00 from Euro Optics. Looks like the price was too low and they changed it 2 days ago.

IMO Conquest quality & glass cant be beat unless you spend twice as much $$. Try calling and ask if they'll match demo prices from last week? With the amount of people buying Conquest scopes I doubt it, though worth a try.

New Demo prices....
http://www.eurooptic.com/zeiss-demo-sale.aspx
I have several different kinds of scopes but agree w/888. powdr
Originally Posted by JGRaider
You can also get a Cabelas euro/Meopta 3-9x42 for around $400. The Terra may be slightly cheaper ($50?) but Meopta makes killer stuff and this example would make me forget the Terra even existed. The more I use Meopta stuff the more impressed I am, FWIW.

Not had a chance to buy or look thru a Terra but purchased a Meopta 3-9x42 almost a year ago for use on a 308. It is a very very nice scope.
Originally Posted by slg888
I bought a 3-9 Conquest demo for $299.00 and 3-10 Rapid Z for $529.00 from Euro Optics. Looks like the price was too low and they changed it 2 days ago.

IMO Conquest quality & glass cant be beat unless you spend twice as much $$. Try calling and ask if they'll match demo prices from last week? With the amount of people buying Conquest scopes I doubt it, though worth a try.

New Demo prices....
http://www.eurooptic.com/zeiss-demo-sale.aspx

Real good prices on that
I put fingerprints on a Tierra for the first time last week. IMO the VX-2 is a better product. IIRC, it was priced like the VX-3. Jack
When I called cameralandNY during the Zeiss sale interested in the Terra 3-9, asked how it compared to my 3-9X40 Conquest, Doug said the Terra was a step down from the Conquest. So now I have a 3.5-10X44 waiting on it's rifle to arrive.
the meopta is an excellent scope. i compared the meopro to my swaro z3. the swaro barely edged it out. mostly in sharpness. i just wish the reticle in the meopro was a touch bolder
I guess I must be among the unwashed. I bought a 4x12 Terra scopes and mounted it on a .257 Weatherby. I like it. The glass is clear and the adjustments are good and repeatable. How it will hold up in the long run is the only question remaining for me.
Originally Posted by GaryLC
I guess I must be among the unwashed. I bought a 4x12 Terra scopes and mounted it on a .257 Weatherby. I like it. The glass is clear and the adjustments are good and repeatable. How it will hold up in the long run is the only question remaining for me.

Gary, it's not that it's a bad scope but a lot of us feel betrayed by Zeiss for dropping the excellent Conquest and replacing it with an inferior scope at basically the same price point, while at the same time increasing their profit by outsourcing the construction to Japan. The fact that it will be sold at Wal-Mart is just another nail in the coffin.

I'm sure it will stack up well against the other Wall-Mart scopes.LOL
I just finished thoroughly testing a 3-9x Terra and the only significant difference I could find between it and a 3-9x Conquest was the eye relief. In the Conquests the eye relief is pretty constant at 3.5" or a little more, no matter the magnification. The Terra's eye relief was over 3.5" at 3x, but 3" or less at 6x and above.

It tested exactly the same as several Conquests have on my night-time optics chart.
Originally Posted by MNDan
Damn - I'm glad I picked up my Conquest with the Rapid Z when I did! Just need a rifle for it now - hehe...

I bought a Conquest 4.5 - 14 50mm with Rapid Z about 8 months ago. It's sitting on my new to me but well used Mark V in 270 Weatherby. Now I just need to get off my butt and reload for it and buy a good range finder. They are very nice scopes.
The fact that it's made in Japan doesn't bother me a lot. The Vanguard rifle that I put it on is made in Japan. The rifle/scope work very well for me. I do like the VX3's that I have on other rifles very much, but they all have their good and bad points. They are, after all, what I consider mid-grade scopes when compared to $1000 and up optics. And doesn't Walmart sell Leupold scopes also?
© 24hourcampfire