Home
born with less than perfect vision I'm forced to wear corrective lenses. As a hunter I realize the need of a good pair of binoculars but have yet to find a set I can use without removing my glasses. Would like a compact size if possible. Any suggestions?
Meopta Meostar 8x32
http://www.cameralandny.com/optics2/meopta.pl?page=meopta499780
Glasses are a major part of my life. I use these.

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Action-7x35-Extreme-Binocular/dp/B0001EFIGG
I'm such a shameless sloot...

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/8398978#Post8398978
Originally Posted by huntsman22

I wear glasses sometimes, no issues with the swaro's..Would be money well spent, and would save us the future post proclaiming "my _____ are almost just as nice as ______"
Since we are going into salesman mode, I have some Vortex Raptor 6.5X32 I will let go for $100 including mail. They are in the box.
Not 'we', ringy. 'Me'....
I have a set of the minox 10x42 that Doug has on sale. I too wear glasses and have found these to work pretty well with glasses or let me say better than my bushnell et al. You do have my empathy and ill admit I take my glasses off for most of my viewing but these work about as well as any I have tried with my glasses on.

Personally, I have found that binoculars in the Xx42 size range work better for me, using glasses, than the smaller models.

Remfarmer,

I'm a full time glasses wearer. I utilize several size optics. Smallest is SLC 10x42, Excellent for general use. If dollars are a factor then 10x42 Meostar. To me, both are small in size. If you must remove glasses for use, you are looking through something I haven't experienced.

Good Luck, TG
Pentax's entire line has very forgiving exit pupil and eye relief specs, tailor made for eyeglass wearers.
Originally Posted by 338rcm
Meopta Meostar 8x32

Yep. I use mine a TON.

For me, I need at least 15MM of eye relief to get a good full view W/glasses on, and more is better.
Don't get hung up on just ER. The ER measurement is only part of the equation. The shape, size, and design of the eye cups plays a role as well.

The only way to tell what will actually work best for you is to try them out for yourself.
Originally Posted by FOsteology
Don't get hung up on just ER. The ER measurement is only part of the equation. The shape, size, and design of the eye cups plays a role as well.

The only way to tell what will actually work best for you is to try them out for yourself.

This is good advice. As good as the recommendations solicited, one still has to try out a bunch of them before buying. It's not always the easiest thing to do but worth it in the long run.

Generally speaking, the better glass has better ER and better eye cup designs.
The Meopta and Swaro EL's have impressed me and my big face. grin
Originally Posted by horse1
Meopta Meostar 8x32

Yep. I use mine a TON.

horse- what would you stack these, optically, up to?
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Meopta Meostar 8x32

Yep. I use mine a TON.

horse- what would you stack these, optically, up to?

Pre-Swarobright SLC's
IME 18mm is the least amount of eye relief for use with glasses and that may not work for all. My binocular has 20mm of eye relief and it works great for me but it isn't a compact size. If you can wear contacts it really opens up choices that will work for you.
Originally Posted by FOsteology

Completely agree, if you use eyecups. I never have/do even when wearing contacts I never use eyecups, just rest the tops of the oculars on my eyebrows give or take.
I never have/do even when wearing contacts I never use eyecups, just rest the tops of the oculars on my eyebrows give or take.

Yep, I do the same thing. I like the view better and when it's frigid, it really helps to keep fogging to a minimum.
I always used the Nikon ATB 8X40 with great eye relief.
This year, I wanted 10X40 to see antlers better, so I bought the Leopold McKinley's from Doug at CL. Even at 10X these have plenty of ER. They are a little heavy and pricey but about the best I found for my old eyes.
Originally Posted by John_in_MS
Pentax's entire line has very forgiving exit pupil and eye relief specs, tailor made for eyeglass wearers.

Yep, Pentax DCF SP 8X43's work really well with glasses, 22mm of eye relief.
I would agree with huntsman.

I have used Zeiss, Swarovski, Leica, Leupold,
And an old pair of Sears binoculars. I do wear glasses now. I like Swaro's the best.
The Leica's were 10X42 and very good also, but I did not like having them hanging around my neck all day. Not so with my 8X SLC Swaro's. They just seem to fit me better. I traded my first pair of SLC's for the Leica's. I recently just bought a new pair and sold the Leica's for that reason - that and too much magnification for most of my hunting.
Great warranty on the Swaro's also.
I have a pair of Pentax DCF WP 8x32 and my wife has the Zeiss Conquest HD 8X42. We both wear glasses and these have plenty of eye relief and are eyeglass friendly. In fact, for the Zeiss I have to have the eye cups extended a bit as they are too close to my eyes with the eye cups all the way in. Avoid any that may have the rubber cups that you have to fold down (I think most good binos no longer have that anyway.)
© 24hourcampfire