Home
Here's the criteria in no particular order:

Cost: Under $400 MSRP
Weight: Under 20 oz
Quality: bang for buck and quality build
Warranty: reputable company that stands behind their product (and yes, I'm still leaving Nikon in the running, although I've not had to deal with Nikon Warranty Dept, my brother has twice dropped his 8x25s out of his stand and for their nominal $10 charge, had them fixed once and replaced once)

Unfortunately, I'd love to personally line up about 10-15 pair of 8x compacts/mid size to look through but I don't have access or time for all that, so I'm looking for opinions from those with personal experience glass that meets the above criteria. The glass in the running thus far for me based on research and word of mouth:

1. Leupold Mojave BX-3 8x32
2. Nikon Monarch 7 8x30
3. Vortex DB 8x32 (a little heavier than the two above)

Please keep the comments/suggestions based on NEW purchase. I'm not in the market for a used pair Swaro 8x30s. I can't afford them. My top dollar is $400 and I'll be buying new via retail or mail order (or Cameraland).

Thanks for playing.
Rob
The problem is most brands offer 8x42 size for this price point.

I have a Meopta Meopro 6.5x32 that I really like, they can be had for less than $400 on some after Christmas sales. I like them better than my older Vortex 8x42, and I tried Monarch and returned them.

Good luck in your search.
Posted By: SKane Re: Which 8x32s (or 8x30s) Binos - 01/02/14
If you're looking for bang-for-the-buck, I might toss the 8x32 Theron Wapiti LT in the mix. Of course, they'll require you to keep around $250 of your budget in your pocket. whistle

http://theronoptics.com/WAPITI_LT_BINOCULARS.html
Look at kowa 's offerings too. In your list I would go leupold but honestly I haven't looked through any of those. Also consider leupolds 6X30. These are good and I have a pair of these.
Originally Posted by raybass
Look at kowa 's offerings too. In your list I would go leupold but honestly I haven't looked through any of those. Also consider leupolds 6X30. These are good and I have a pair of these.

I'm leaning toward the Leupold's right now. If I was wanting to keep a pile of that budget, I've read some good stuff about the Redfields. But my Dad has some Leupolds (don't recall the model and he loves them, my brother too). Personally, I have a looked through a chit-ton of Nikons from the older Monarch ATB 8x25s I still own to new Monarch 7s (8x42s) and I like them a lot. But I've not owned any Leupold binos. The size is good, the weight is good, the warranty is excellent...hard to beat them right now.
Sightron Blue Sky II 8x32
Originally Posted by LostArra
Sightron Blue Sky II 8x32

Plus One
Outdoor Life and Mule Deer rave about the Kruger Back Country 8x32. Editor's Best value a couple of years ago.
Check Cameraland's website to see if they still have any of the Japanese-made Minox HG 8x33. I've had a pair for several years and they are very good. The German-made version has more depth of field, but costs about twice as much.
Originally Posted by AB2506
Outdoor Life and Mule Deer rave about the Kruger Back Country 8x32.
I've read that too.

Optics Planet has them on sale for $146
Originally Posted by AB2506
Outdoor Life and Mule Deer rave about the Kruger Back Country 8x32. Editor's Best value a couple of years ago.

I have a pair of those.. great build quality. I am impressed.. I have run them for two years and beat the chit out of them. still work perfect and the glass is very nice....I believe I paid 159 for them. I also picked up a pair of Bushnell Elites at the same time.. They cost three times as much and where falling apart, they are back at Bushnell as we speak.
I did some shopping earlier last year and never bought but like the Eagle Optics Ranger ED 8x32 for around $329 or the Zen ED2 7x36 @ $375 direct from Zen Ray. I also like the Vortex Viper non-HD.
A touch over your price point but nice glass, Vortex Viper 6x32 $440.90 on Amazon. (Vortex Viper HD 6x32 $550.)
Give a hard look to the Pentax DCF XP. I have a older pair of Pentax DCF WP in 8X32 and love them. The DCF XP seems similar, have great reviews and can be found on sale for $225 (down from $399.) They may be discontinued, a number of on-line vendors seem to have them on sale and are out of stock. Here's a sight that appears to have some.

http://domsoutdoor.com/pentax-dcf-xp-8x33-binoculars/p/1-069897/
Originally Posted by cooper57m
Give a hard luck to the Pentax DCF XP. I have a older pair of Pentax DCF WP in 8X32 and love them. The DCF XP seems similar, have great reviews and can be found on sale for the mid $225 on sale (down from $399.) They may be discontinued, a number of on-line vendors seem to have them on sale and are out of stock. Here's a sight that appears to have some.

http://domsoutdoor.com/pentax-dcf-xp-8x33-binoculars/p/1-069897/

Thanks for the idea. Had forgotten about Pentax. A buddy I hunt with has a pair of 8x42s (I think) that he likes (I think the glass is good but heavy). Looking at the specs on those 8x33s, they come in about right in both size and weight. I know there are easier ways to lose a few ounces, but the glass I've been carrying is over 26oz, so a drop to 17-18oz and half pound less is something I'm looking for and these fall right in line with that idea.

After more reading last night, my #1 choice is still the Leupold BX3s, but I'll have to see if I can locate some Pentax in the area to have a look at/through.

Thanks.
My Pentax 8x32 DCF SP spent 21 days in Africa with me this past summer. The Leica and Zeiss binos stayed home.
Originally Posted by dawaba
My Pentax 8x32 DCF SP spent 21 days in Africa with me this past summer. The Leica and Zeiss binos stayed home.

That's a good plug for the Pentax. smile Thanks for the input.
Another vote for Pentax 8x32 DCF SP;my go to glass for bow hunting, turkey hunting and scouting. Use their 10x50 DCF SP also. Great glass, great value.
Originally Posted by SKane
If you're looking for bang-for-the-buck, I might toss the 8x32 Theron Wapiti LT in the mix. Of course, they'll require you to keep around $250 of your budget in your pocket. whistle

My birding bino's. I have been extremely pleased with these for full retail. At the current sale price they are an outstanding value. Ergio's, fit, finish, FOV, edge, color, brightness... Stellar balance of each for $150 (or $300).

Techno,

If you can bump your price another $50 check out the Zeiss Conquest 8x30 demos through cameraland. If you want to look through a pair, PM me and I can arrange a meeting when I'm down in the area - my parents live in Bow so I'm down that way regularly.
http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2711043/m/1351025591
I've had 'em all and still have several pairs of big three bincs; but for the dough Pentax makes the best budget glass bar none.
As was mentioned, the dcf sp series is excellent, and pentax's ED line (purchased right-otherwise it can be spendy) is as good as any out there.

I picked up a pair of used Pentax 10x50 EDs and in low light they are as good as my Zeiss victory 42s to my tired eyes. And I'm a Zeiss fan.

Look at the 8x32 pentax dcf sp. You'll like them.
Those Pentax ED are like $800+ or am I looking at the wrong ones?

The Zen Ray ED 7x36 are really calling me at the OP price point.
I did a comparative binocular review of $250 and under 8x32s back in October. I thought I posted it here but I might not have. Here is a link to the thread over on birdforum.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=269560&highlight=8x32

The Sightron is still my favorite but there are some other good 8x32 models out there right now. Regularly priced at $180 you would still have $220 left over for other things.
Originally Posted by FrankD
I did a comparative binocular review of $250 and under 8x32s back in October. I thought I posted it here but I might not have. Here is a link to the thread over on birdforum.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=269560&highlight=8x32

The Sightron is still my favorite but there are some other good 8x32 models out there right now. Regularly priced at $180 you would still have $220 left over for other things.

Thanks for the link. I actually found your review during my research. I guess where I'm at in the search is, I'm not looking to save money or spend down in effort to get "as good as" glass. I'm wanting the best glass I can get at my price point. I mentioned in the op that the weight was a consideration and one thing I left off the list was FoV.

So far, the Leupold BX-3s are looking very good. 17oz and 400'+ FoV from a reputable company. And they can be had for under $350. The Nikon Monarch 7s are in that same ballpark in all aspects. The Pentax DCF lack a little in the FoV dept but meet the other criteria and would save some considerable coin.

I'm going to take some advice and make the drive up through Maine in a couple weekends and hit Kittery Trading Post and Cabelas so I can check out this stuff in person. No rush on my end to make a purchase, time is on my side.

Rob
I understand where you are coming from. I have yet to try the new Leupold Mojave 8x32s but will see if the local Cabelas has them in stock. The Monarch 7's have created a bit of a buzz over on birdforum.

I would love to compare both to the Sightron. If you had a chance to read my original Sightron review you will see that they compare very favorably to other binoculars in your price range and actually do compare with 8x32s that cost significantly more. They are one of the true optical values out there. In other words, you don't have to spend $400 to get $400 performance...and maybe a bit more.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=211793&highlight=sightron

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=266644&highlight=sightron

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=227459&highlight=sightron
Posted By: 65BR Re: Which 8x32s (or 8x30s) Binos - 01/06/14
Owned Pentax WP DCF and really enjoyed them, my Leupold 6x30 Y and 6x32 Katmai's are what is used most now, but would look at Pentax again if wanting more glass on your budget.
Posted By: gory Re: Which 8x32s (or 8x30s) Binos - 01/09/14
Rob
There are a couple of other Celestron pieces that are closer to your $400 price point that I think are worth mentioning. These are the Granite 7 & 9 x 33. The FOV of the 7 is 477feet with eye relief of 15 mm. 5.5" inches in length weighing 21.2oz.
The 9x fov is 378ft, eye relief is 14.1mm, 5.4"inches in length weighing 20.1oz.
The 7 is my personal favorite.

Regards The Celestron rep in Alberta
Originally Posted by gory
Rob
There are a couple of other Celestron pieces that are closer to your $400 price point that I think are worth mentioning. These are the Granite 7 & 9 x 33. The FOV of the 7 is 477feet with eye relief of 15 mm. 5.5" inches in length weighing 21.2oz.
The 9x fov is 378ft, eye relief is 14.1mm, 5.4"inches in length weighing 20.1oz.

Fock Celestron.

They are the group of crooks that bought Weaver several years ago and then refused to warantee or service their prodcuts.

Originally Posted by SKane

I followed Scott's advice and am glad I did.

The extra $250; let's just say it got put to good use on other firearms related items.
Ok, I get it. But I don't think folks are really understanding my question. So let me re-phrase a little:

What I'm really looking for is this: the best binoculars I can own for around $400. I want to spend around $400 on a single pair of binoculars. If I can get $800 glass for $400, someone tell me where and what brand.

Does that make sense?

Thanks for the input everyone.
Rob
Originally Posted by freedomguy
Fock Celestron.

They are the group of crooks that bought Weaver several years ago and then refused to warantee or service their prodcuts.

You sure that wasn't Meade Instrument?
for around 400 check out the meopta meopro 8x42. but if u want 32mm they make a 6.5x32. i own that pair and got it through cameraland. glass and build is incredible
Originally Posted by freedomguy
Originally Posted by gory
Rob

Fock Celestron.

Do not Fock Celestron they never had anything to do with weaver. G
Originally Posted by Technoman26
Ok, I get it. But I don't think folks are really understanding my question. So let me re-phrase a little:

What I'm really looking for is this: the best binoculars I can own for around $400. I want to spend around $400 on a single pair of binoculars. If I can get $800 glass for $400, someone tell me where and what brand.

Does that make sense?

Rob

I get it, that is why I made my suggestion of the Granite product. G
I bought a pair of Nikon porro 8x32 SE last year. I REALLY prefer porros to the other style. THESE are great and the street price was about $550. They are worth the time to compare.
http://www.samplelist.com/Pentax-8x43-DCF-SP-Binocular-DEMO-A-P64576.aspx
Check out their entire list...You should find something in that price range.

Originally Posted by Technoman26

Does that make sense?

Rob

One other thing Rob.
Be patient with your search. I wanted a pair of big eyes to add to my optics collection and kept my eyes open for some time. Those 10X50 Pentax Ed's I referred to run around $1100, I paid $500.

What you want is out there, but be picky and patient. Combing all of the forums is pretty much mandatory for the best buys.
Originally Posted by broomd
pentax's ED line (purchased right-otherwise it can be spendy) is as good as any out there.

I wouldn't part with my Pentax 8x32 ED's great glass and they can take a beating ! I picked mine up for $650 back when they 1st came out
Posted By: Lorin Re: Which 8x32s (or 8x30s) Binos - 01/10/14
When I had that same question a few years ago, I called Doug at cameraland and talked with both him and Nick. Very helpful, and I ended up with a pair of minox 8 x 33
© 24hourcampfire