Home
Posted By: killindeer zeiss diavari 3-9x36 - 07/08/14
anyone have one of these? ive seen a couple recently here and there that sold for decent prices. am thinking of getting one next time i see a used one pop up. good eye relief and glass? or would i be just as good buying a 3-9x42 meopta?
Posted By: mathman Re: zeiss diavari 3-9x36 - 07/08/14
I'm not that impressed by their eye relief, and I find their optics overrated by their fans. They are a bit heavy for their size as well.

Expect the euro homers to be along soon to disagree. grin
Posted By: JMR40 Re: zeiss diavari 3-9x36 - 07/08/14
I have one that was on a used rifle I bought. Sold the rifle, kept the scope. It is comparable to the now discontinued 3-9X40 Conquest. The eye relief is a little shorter, as is the scope.
Weight is about the same too. I can't tell that the 36mm objective gives up anything to the 40mm lense on the Conquest. It works well in low light.

If you like the Conquest, can live with a little less eye relief and if the price is right you'll like it.

Posted By: killindeer Re: zeiss diavari 3-9x36 - 07/09/14
shouldnt the diavari glass be a little better than the conquest?
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: zeiss diavari 3-9x36 - 07/09/14
Originally Posted by killindeer

Not sure how different the glass is but I have a 3X9X36 Diavari MC made in USA. It was the predecessor to the Conquest. There is also a 3X9X36 Diavari made in Germany. I have no idea how much difference there is between them except that the German model is a shorter tube and sometimes difficult even on a short action.

Mine is a good scope that I paid $350 for. I like smaller lighter scopes in general, so I'll keep it, but I would not pay $500 for one.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: zeiss diavari 3-9x36 - 07/09/14
Originally Posted by mathman
I'm not that impressed by their eye relief, and I find their optics overrated by their fans. They are a bit heavy for their size as well.

Expect the euro homers to be along soon to disagree. grin

The early "West German" Diavaris were not heavy, they are quite short and optically superior to most scopes at the time and still optically superior to most scopes today. At that time lead was still being used in the lenses and you can't argue the quality even though the early Diavari scopes are now 30 years old...

[Linked Image]
yea im not referring to the MC one. the one i saw didnt say MC or T. but it said made in germany. then i saw another that said T and also made in germany.
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: zeiss diavari 3-9x36 - 07/09/14
You can't go wrong on any German Zeiss under $500.
Posted By: zeissman Re: zeiss diavari 3-9x36 - 07/09/14
Originally Posted by shrapnel
The early "West German" Diavaris were not heavy, they are quite short and optically superior to most scopes at the time and still optically superior to most scopes today. At that time lead was still being used in the lenses and you can't argue the quality even though the early Diavari scopes are now 30 years old...

I had a 4x version of the same scope and agree they were and are still optically and mechanically superior to most scopes today. They're way better than a Conquest as regards quality. Made in Germany with a 1" tube for the U.S. market. They're also not very heavy.

The main tube with turret housings was machined out of one piece Duralumin. The scopes themselves went through extensive quality control tests. Each scope was given 1,000 shocks simulating twice the recoil level of a .458 Win Mag. Each reticle adjustment was wound to it's extremities 100 times and then tested to see if the P.O.I. had changed. If it had changed the scope didn't pass. Each scope was placed in a vacuum chamber and subjected to a heavy shower of water for 24 hours. A large part of the cost was in the QC. They're superb scopes with good light gathering ability.

Posted By: shrapnel Re: zeiss diavari 3-9x36 - 07/09/14

The latest of the Diavaris were made in America, the earliest in "West Germany" and anything after 1990 was made in "Germany". The earliest were with the older leaded glass before the environmental changes with leaded glass. These scopes are very clear and bright, easily ahead of their time in the optical department.

T* and T*P were later changes in the coatings of the lenses, some say that the T*P were best, but the early West German are damn good. Eye relief is short with them but not critical. The compactness of the scope is remarkable and the 36mm will easil out-perform many of 42mm and larger objectives.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

man. i shoulda jumped on it. hopefully another will show up
Posted By: mathman Re: zeiss diavari 3-9x36 - 07/09/14
If I could only predict the stock market as well. grin
Posted By: zeissman Re: zeiss diavari 3-9x36 - 07/09/14
Originally Posted by shrapnel

The latest of the Diavaris were made in America, the earliest in "West Germany" and anything after 1990 was made in "Germany". The earliest were with the older leaded glass before the environmental changes with leaded glass. These scopes are very clear and bright, easily ahead of their time in the optical department.

T* and T*P were later changes in the coatings of the lenses, some say that the T*P were best, but the early West German are damn good. Eye relief is short with them but not critical. The compactness of the scope is remarkable and the 36mm will easil out-perform many of 42mm and larger objectives.

I bought mine new in 1989 and it has "Made in West Germany" on it. It's had a hard life but still optically and mechanically perfect. I've shot coal black boars on moonless nights with it. It never let me down in many hundreds of hours of hunting in sometimes very rugged terrain and weather conditions.

Posted By: JMR40 Re: zeiss diavari 3-9x36 - 07/09/14
Originally Posted by killindeer

My Davari is probably 20 years old. Comparing it to a 4-5 year old Conquest it is about the same to my eye. If the 2 scopes were from about the same era, then the Davari should be better.

Went back and read the entire thread and learned a few things I didn't know. Mine is West German made, so older than I thought.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: zeiss diavari 3-9x36 - 07/09/14
I have both, I'd pick the Meopta.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: zeiss diavari 3-9x36 - 07/10/14
Here's an American made Diavari 3-9x36.

[Linked Image]

Here's a Diatal C 10x36, W. German and I have a German Diatal C 4x32.

[Linked Image]

IMO, they'll hang in there with the Conquest.

DF
Posted By: JSTUART Re: zeiss diavari 3-9x36 - 07/10/14
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Here's a Diatal C 10x36, W. German and I have a German Diatal C 4x32.

[Linked Image]

IMO, they'll hang in there with the Conquest.

DF

Farmer, that is one of only a very few scopes I covert.
You see them occasionally on the used market, sometimes on Ebay.

It is one fine glass, for sure. I like the way it looks on this classic 722 in older Redfield rings/bases. I skip line checkered that gun 50 yrs. ago as a teenager when that style checkering was in fashion. It has a 14 twist Hart in .22-204 and sizzles light weight bullets into little bitty groups...

DF
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: zeiss diavari 3-9x36 - 07/10/14
I like that they are good quality , light weight compact scopes. That's something we seem to have very little of these days.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: FOsteology Re: zeiss diavari 3-9x36 - 07/10/14
I personally found them to be over rated as I found the eye relief and eye box to be lacking.
Posted By: mathman Re: zeiss diavari 3-9x36 - 07/10/14
Originally Posted by FOsteology
I personally found them to be over rated as I found the eye relief and eye box to be lacking.

Testify!
They are relatively compact and streamline compared to some modern glass.

I never thought much about eyebox and ER. They seem adequate and mine work well on the guns they're mounted on. To me they seem pretty good to be that old, as scopes have really improved over the past few years. That being said, these scopes have held their own better than most of that vintage.

DF
Posted By: JMR40 Re: zeiss diavari 3-9x36 - 07/10/14
I like mine, but I keep reading posts calling them lightweight. Mine is 16 oz. One oz heavier than my Conquest and almost 5 oz heavier than a Leupold 2.5-8X36.

It is a good scope, and about the same overall size as the 2.5-8X36 Leupold, but much heavier.
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: zeiss diavari 3-9x36 - 07/10/14
Originally Posted by JMR40
I like mine, but I keep reading posts calling them lightweight. Mine is 16 oz. One oz heavier than my Conquest and almost 5 oz heavier than a Leupold 2.5-8X36.

It is a good scope, and about the same overall size as the 2.5-8X36 Leupold, but much heavier.

Mine is the USA version, and I'm about 99% sure it was 12 oz when I bought and mounted it. Weight is always a concern for me on lighter rifles and I know it was on the L579.
If someone knows what Warne med QD rings weigh, I can weigh my scope with rings and we can subtract the ring weight.

I'd guess it's more than 12 oz, but won't know for sure until it's weighed.

DF
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: zeiss diavari 3-9x36 - 07/11/14
Med. Warne QD rings weigh 4 oz. I would think Butler Creek caps would only be a fraction of an ounce. So, 22 oz. total weight minus 4 oz. for the rings and some for the caps, would leave almost 18 oz. for the scope.

DF
© 24hourcampfire