Home
I am interested in comments from those who actually use or have used this scope for hunting purposes.

How do you like it ?
Any issues with it holding Zero?
Any issues with use in low light,30 minutes before sunrise and 30 minutes after sundown in hunting conditions?

Obviously I am asking about this scope only and not interested in scope comparisons.

I Have heard that the VX1 is essentially the same as the older Vari X II.
Is that correct?

Thanks
Craig

Optically speaking, I believe that the current VX-1 is the same as the later/improved 2005-2011 vintage VX-II.

I have several Leupold 3-9x40s, from pre-1974 Vari-X to VX-1. My VX-1 3-9x40 is the shotgun version with a heavy duplex. It is on a Savage 220 20 gauge slug gun that I use to hunt deer in Iowa.

To answer your three questions:

1. They're OK
2. No
3. Not with the heavy duplex
I've killed a lot of stuff with 3-9X40 Leupold scopes in Vari-Xii, VX-I, and VX-II models without a criticism on my part. They're not chic, but they work quite well.
got one on a Savage 99 in 284 win, nothing wrong with it that I have ever discovered. lets me see as early as I want to get up and lets me stay long enough to stumble out in the dark.
bullets always seem to go where the hairs cross if I figure the yardage right and I didn't have to take a second mortgage to buy it.
Craig I've been thinking of buying one myself lately and putting it on my little 250Ackley. I have to think they're better than whatever's in second place in that price range. powdr
No - I do not use a VX 1 3-9x40 for hunting.

I do, however, use a 4-12x40 VX 1 for hunting.

Based on this:

Do I like it? Yes.
Any issues at zero retention? No.
For low light, I would want, in fact am going to get, a Heavy Duplex.

Summary -

I would, w/o hesitation, recommend a Leupold VX 1 3-9x40 with HD for hunting.
I think the new VX1 3-9x40 is the best scope value out there.

I used two of them this past deer season and they performed perfectly.

Have never had a problem with the old VX II scopes , nor these new VX 1 scopes holding zero.

As for low light capabilities, I was leaving the deer stand about 5 minutes past legal shooting time this past December when I saw a dark "blob" about 45 yards out. Couldn't make out what it was with the naked eye. Picked up the rifle, looked through the VX 1 and could clearly see a doe and two yearlings. Plenty of low light capability 35 minutes after sun set!

Liked those two scopes enough that I bought another to put on whatever rifle I get next. smile
I have a couple of them, the VX-I and VX-1 were my son's entry level hunting scopes.

I do like them, I have never had an issue with holding a zero and I have no complaints with low-light performance.

I don't think there is a better value out there right now than the VX-1.
I have had two of them. They upgraded them in the middle of the time that they have been available. I had one with the older coatings, one with the newer coatings (Multicoat 4).

There was a very noticeable difference between them when comparing side-by-side. The newer coatings were clearly brighter and lasted longer at lowlight.

I sold both. If you want a brighter scope, save another $75 and get up to the new VX2 with even better coatings.
My wife and daughters guns carry this scope in the older vx-I in 2-7x33 they are just fine for shooting past legal light never had a zero problem. My daughter shot a bull elk this year more than a half hour after sunset at 280 yards with hers. one shot right were she wanted it. Best scope for the money imo
Thanks for the input guys

I have tried the heavy duplex and while It was ok I didn,t like it as well as the standard Duplex.

Although there are brighter scopes than the VX1 it sounds like the VX1 is bright enough .

I am getting a VX1 with standard duplex.

Thanks again for input from all
Craig
For myself, I replaced a VX1 with a cheaper Weaver K6 and things got all kinds of brighter for me. May get flamed for saying it but certainly was evident in the field. Better adjustments too. If possible save up a bit more and get a VX2 if you can. You will not regret it. I bought "bright enough" my first cope and have been going brighter with each subsequent one. Wish I would have just saved the money I spent on my first and applied half of that to get better.

If you already have the VX1 and want to use it go ahead, It isn't terrible, but don't go in the field with it cranked up max power. Leave at 5 or 6x and I think you will be happy.
I will try it when I get it and see what type of target /reticule resolution there is 30 Minutes before sunrise and 30 minutes after setset.I will try it from 3x to 9x.

Then I will get back with the forum and let ya know how it works for me.
I have four and my dad has three or so. It's what I use, period. I have other brands and variables but when all is said and done the VX I, Vari-X II is what I end up looking through. As far as I can tell they are the same thing and I have yet to have one fail. My dad put one on a high power air rifle and that supposedly screwed it up do to the recoil on the air rifle???? I guess the piston on an air rifles recoils the opposite way and screws with scopes designed for rifles. That was the only mishap in 40+ years and I haven't been all that nice to them. Some have been beaten harder than others depending on what rifle they are on but none have disappointed. I'm not sure if you can get target turrets installed on them but that isn't all that important to me as all my shots are 300 yards and under. At that distance turrets are a waste of time IMO.
Good choice. I like mine and it suits me great at 55 with 20-20 and no magnification needed so it should be the cat's delight if you are younger.
Wish I were younger ! I am 55 just like you
Sometimes I do too. But I can't complain.
I have a couple VX1 3-9x40 scopes that I mounted on my rimfire squirrel hunting rifles and for the money they are hard to beat, I have no complaints with mine, as has already been said the VX 2 is a noticeably better optic and well worth the extra $75..........Hb
Yes I realize the VX2 is a better scope.
Do you believe you could kill more squirrels with the VX2?
The vx1's glass suck.
Why do you say that?
In your oppinion will it not be good enough to do what I want to do?Deer Hunting that is
I just purchased a new VX-1, 3-9x40 back in December, and it is
a very nice scope, and well suited for hunting. I also have
a Vari-X II scope, from the 70's with the simple coatings.

The new VX-1, is multi-coated with better click settings, and
is a big step up in brightness. A nice value in the $200.
range.
Originally Posted by whitedogone
The vx1's glass suck.

You'll get lots of varying opinion, just make sure you're comparing apples to apples. You have VX-I's with Roman numerals which were replaced with better VX-1's with arabic numbers.

And finally the VX-1's made since 2012 are much improved, and are essentially a pre-2012 VX-2. Folks using older scopes may have some complaints, but I have none with current production VX-1's.
To be fair- mine that I wasn't crazy about was indeed a pre 2012 without click adjustments. If new ones are also brighter then obviously I would like them better than my old one.

Let me just throw out we are talking about 50 + year old eyes and if you are planning to keep it for another five to ten years or more the extra $75 for a VX2 may well prove more than its worth. I know my eyes aren't what they were even five years ago. Something to consider - perhaps. Hope you like whatever you get BCraig.
The Burris FFII is a much better optic at a lower price point.
Originally Posted by whitedogone
The Burris FFII is a much better optic at a lower price point.

Not in low light, at least not to my eyes.

And, yes I have a couple of those FFIIs also, but due to their lower performance, (per my eyes), in low light, I now use them on rimfires and target rifles only.

That said there seems to be more disagreement on optics than any other subject on the campfire. Everyone seems to see things differently, so it's important to experiment and decide for yourself. Try a VX1 and if you don't like it you can sell it to someone in Classifieds w/o losing much money. Ditto for the FFII.

My comments are in regard to the latest, post 2012 version of the VX1.
Originally Posted by bcraig
Yes I realize the VX2 is a better scope.
Do you believe you could kill more squirrels with the VX2?
Absolutely not.....Just as many squirrels will die with My VX 1's as would die if I had Nightforce scopes on My rimfire rifles........Lol............Hb
I guess I am really behind the times with my OLD Denver made Redfield ILLUMINATOR and Lo Pro Widefield
Originally Posted by AMRA
I guess I am really behind the times with my OLD Denver made Redfield ILLUMINATOR and Lo Pro Widefield

Nothing wrong with old Denver Redfields. I have a 3-9x Illuminator WF and a 5 star on rifles used regularly. Never a problem. I have a couple of new (Leupold) Redfields that I think are excellent values.

I have two VX-I scopes that I rate as better than the couple of Elite 3200 Bushnells I have owned. One is on a Ruger 77 in 270 and one on a Tikka 260. Tough, reliable, and bright enough to hunt to legal extremes of the day.
I have a couple of VX-1s on a 22 and 22 mag. They're ok but nothing to rant about. The VX-2 and VX-3 models are definately a step up in quality.
I just pulled a new VX1 39x40 off my 7mm-08. I bought it last spring and mounted it during a round of scope roulette. I hunted it this fall and wasn't too impressed. It just got replaced because I wasn't happy with its low light performance. I felt like I lost a fair amount of time around the legal shooting time limits that I would have otherwise had should I have kept the Zeiss Conquest that it replaced or the Fullfield II that was originally on the gun.

I understand that it's not in the same price point as the Conquest, but for $100 more I could have bought a VX-2 that probably would have stayed on the gun due to the lighter weight when compared to the Zeiss, without giving up as much optically. Or I could have bought another FF II for $50 less.

I have to find a gun to put it on, because it was a pretty good scope and it held fine (not like a 7mm-08 is a hard kicking gun). It will probably go on my beater 270 Win.
I suppose truly that everyone sees things differently.
I had a Leupold 2 to 7 x33 Rifleman that I used to use on a 22 to squirrel hunt with.
Using the scope I could see to shoot anytime i could see the squirrel. Well before daylight and well after daylight.
The Vx1 is supposed to be a brighter scope than the Rifleman .
I expect to be able to see a deer with a VX1 just fine.
If I can see the deer I suspect I will be able to place the shot.
I dont expect a scope to be good enough to say look out into a field and see deer I cant even see with the naked eye !
After all I am not going to be looking around with my rifle unless I am sure It is a deer I am looking at !

As long as a scope will hold zero and allow me to hunt 30 minutes before sunlight and 30 Minutes after sundown (Legal hunting ours in Arkansas)I will be satisfied .

I think that I have enough info both from this thread and my experience with a Rifleman scope to be assured that the VX1 will do that for me.

Thanks for the input guys
Craig
You're going to be well suited with your choice. I've been able to shoot earlier and later than you mention with these scopes in the past. They're brighter options available, but the various 3-9X40 Leupold scopes are good enough. Good enough is all that is required...
I have a VX I coming on a rifle I bought, trying to decide if I want to keep it. I found this thread, it was helpful. I have a .22 that needs a scope, I’ll keep it for the 22.
Originally Posted by Farmboy1
I just purchased a new VX-1, 3-9x40 back in December, and it is
a very nice scope, and well suited for hunting. I also have
a Vari-X II scope, from the 70's with the simple coatings.

The new VX-1, is multi-coated with better click settings, and
is a big step up in brightness. A nice value in the $200.
range.

I have almost the exact situation. I have a Vari-XII from the 1980's and just got a new VX1 back around the first of the year. They were on sale. The VX-1 is noticeably brighter and I have killed a lot of deer with the Vari-XIIc. I sure don't think the new one is gonna hold me back.

One thing I have noticed is that my eye glasses don't play well with scopes. The glasses have some kind of anti-glare coating on them that seems to make things look cloudy through the scope, to the point that I thought something was wrong with it. Looked through it without the glasses and it was good as ever.
For a $100-150 scope, I like used examples of the VX-1 and the Redfield Revolution version, in 3-9x40 or 2-7x33. They are tough to beat. I kill stuff with them every year, sometimes in fading light. Do I expect better performance from $350+ optics at last light? Of course, but it isn't exactly a night and day difference. Pun intended......
One of the guys I hunt with has a VX-1 on his rifle. I have a VX-2 and VX3s. The view gets better as the number goes up. But you could shoot every deer you have a shot at during legal hours with all of them.
I have always had a few Leopold in use for over 40 years.
Currently have a VX-1, VX-3, and 3 Redfield (Leupold) Revolutions.
All 5 of these relatively current offerings have much better optics, coatings, and performance than any of the older Leupolds, and none of the old stuff ever “cost me a deer” because of poor optics.
I have VX III’s on everything else, I can see a good bit before its legal to shoot and a good bit after legal shooting time is up. I think a firedot would be great for pig hunting. I had a bunch come out last year, right at dark. I couldn’t see the black cross hair on a black pig. I centered him in the scope, killed him, but it would have been easy with a lighted dot.
I have recommended VX-1's to new hunters and they are happy with them. I have a VX-2, VX-II and a VX-3i now. I got all three on sale, and the VX-2 I think only cost me $155, and the VX-II $165. I got lucky when Fred Meyer used to sale guns and would clearance optics out about once a year.
Don’t have a VX-1.

With the newer scopes, glass gets better. I see less difference between VX-2 and VX-3. IMO, more difference, older VX-II and new VX-2.

DF
Not sure, but I think the VX2 might have the blackened edges on the lenses. Both it and the VX1 show to have the indexed lenses though.

I wanted to buy a VX2 in 3-9x40, but being as they’re discontinued couldn’t find one.
So I settled for a VX1 3-9x40 that I got on clearance for just under a hundred dollars to go on my Mark II .223. It was supposed to be 109 I think, but they knocked off another 10% or so because it was a display and I didn’t get the box and sticker, but did get the rubber bikini cover. I think it’ll work for me just fine.
Click adjustments is a nice upgrade over the friction adjustments on the older VX1 and VXII from the past. And I like it better that the VX-Freedom. And at the price I paid I’ve got no complaints.
I think you did OK.

The newer scopes have a lot better glass than the older ones.

I remember the Weaver MicroTrac, which had a good rep for repeatable adjustments.

But, compare the glass in that 30 yr old scope with your VX-1 and you'll be amazed.

Even a cheap Chinese scope is a lot brighter than those old Weavers.

We thought they were pretty good back in the day.

DF
VX-1's work fine for me but I don't shoot deer at night.
Originally Posted by bcraig
I am interested in comments from those who actually use or have used this scope for hunting purposes.

How do you like it ?
Any issues with it holding Zero?
Any issues with use in low light,30 minutes before sunrise and 30 minutes after sundown in hunting conditions?

Obviously I am asking about this scope only and not interested in scope comparisons.

I Have heard that the VX1 is essentially the same as the older Vari X II.
Is that correct?

Thanks
Craig

The VX-1 was the same as the VX-II.

Although I have a VX-1, 3-9x40, I actually haven't used it hunting nor compared it to my VX-2.

But I also have latest production VX-1 and VX-2, 2-7x33's and have compared them a number of times in various conditions. Their is not much difference in their performance. Bright light in the open, dusk looking towards and away from the sun, standing in bright light looking into dark timber, I can see fine with both. Yes, I can sometimes tell a small difference, but most of the time not enough to MAKE a difference when it comes time to shoot something. I thought the VX-1 were a fantastic bang for the buck. If one can get past the industrial look of the VX-Freedoms and their shorter mounting distance, they offer as good or better value, IMHO.

I've had VX-II's or VX-1's on my son's 243 since he started hunting, and he has killed his critters under a variety of light conditions running the gamut without complaint. Of course, I concede he does have young eyes............
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I think you did OK.

The newer scopes have a lot better glass than the older ones.

I remember the Weaver MicroTrac, which had a good rep for repeatable adjustments.

But, compare the glass in that 30 yr old scope with your VX-1 and you'll be amazed.

Even a cheap Chinese scope is a lot brighter than those old Weavers.

We thought they were pretty good back in the day.

DF

Spot On. I kept trying to convince my buddy to replace his ancient Redfield and he just wouldn't do it. I showed up at his ranch with a Weaver K6 I had taken off one of my rifles and just past dusk asked him to pull out the Redfield and check out a great Pyrenees meandering his field about a hundred yards away. I made sure he was at 6x. He said he saw a whitish shape. I handed him the K6 and had him look again and he nearly fell over. Could not believe what he was seeing. He said he could see every feature on the dog, including the collar and tag and then said loudly "Whoa" I can see my neighbors' old lady in her house several hundred yards away. I promptly went about mounting that K6 for him as a gift. Since then I helped him buy a new new rifle and found a Bushnell 4200 for about $175 that I mounted for him. He used it to kill a huge Eland past sunset that had wondered on to the property. No way does he make that shot with the older Redfield. Competition in the optics world has been a great thing.
No deer in history has ever been killed by a logo.

Uncounted millions have been killed with guns topped with tasco, simmons, bsa, low end bushnell, and many others.

Decide your budget and the configuration you want, use Froogle and/or other shopping bots, get what you want and go kill something.
© 24hourcampfire