Home
Posted By: whitedogone rubber cement - 03/06/15
So how do you use it.
Posted By: RDFinn Re: rubber cement - 03/06/15
...for what, the scope rings ? Trying to stop a scope from slipping ?
Posted By: whitedogone Re: rubber cement - 03/06/15
Yep, for rings. just seemed like a good ifea.
Posted By: RDFinn Re: rubber cement - 03/06/15
. Buehler did it from day one. I've used a spray on type adhesive from 3M that is thinner, just to make the insides of the rings tacky. Probably a waste of time with good rings though.
Posted By: whitedogone Re: rubber cement - 03/06/15
I've always used some rubber eraser on rings before tightening them. I cleaned the "stuff" from the Buehlers on my 338. Maybe I need to revisit them.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: rubber cement - 03/06/15
I just get the rubber cement out, put a good coating on both bottom and top halves of the rings, then set them aside for at least 1/2 hour to get tacky.

Then mount everything else up as usual, and clean up whatever squeezes out. Leave it sit for a couple of days, then head to the range.
Posted By: TheDude Re: rubber cement - 03/08/15
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
I just get the rubber cement out, put a good coating on both bottom and top halves of the rings, then set them aside for at least 1/2 hour to get tacky.

Then mount everything else up as usual, and clean up whatever squeezes out. Leave it sit for a couple of days, then head to the range.

Same thing here, started about 5 years ago or so...haven't lapped a set of rings since either!
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: rubber cement - 03/08/15
I did the same with clear silicone
Posted By: Brad Re: rubber cement - 03/08/15
I've used rubber cement for probably 15 years. I never saw or heard of anyone doing it, just thought it should work.

Coat top and bottom of rings, put in scope immediately, tighten. Allow what has squeezed out to harden over 45 minutes and remove.

Hey presto. You'll never have a scope move.

Combined with a lapped ring, you'll never have a buggered scope tube either.
Posted By: Wrapids Re: rubber cement - 03/08/15
It has been mentioned before, but an alternative is to use double sticky sided cellophane in both halves of the rings. Holds the scope very well and the cellophane is protection for the scope tube. My rings have aligned well and the cellophane was all I needed - no lapping required.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: rubber cement - 03/08/15
Originally Posted by whitedogone
So how do you use it.

Once they rip, it's best to get rid of them; trying to repair them is difficult at best and using cement would have to make them awfully uncomfortable for foth parties.

This of course demands retelling of the story about the Scottish soldier who entered a drug store, placed a torn condom on the counter and asked, "Can it be repaired?" When informed that this was not possible, he then responded, "Well, then, speaking on behalf of the regiment, we'll invest in a new one."
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: rubber cement - 03/08/15
One of the most effective and easy to use "rubber cements" for scope rings is Permatex Form-A-Gasket, for sealing automotive and other gaskets.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: rubber cement - 03/11/15
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
One of the most effective and easy to use "rubber cements" for scope rings is Permatex Form-A-Gasket, for sealing automotive and other gaskets.

Only use the #2 or #3, but not the #1, I assume?
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: rubber cement - 03/11/15
Yep. I have usually used the No. 2.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: rubber cement - 03/11/15
Gorilla glue
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: rubber cement - 03/11/15

Good stuff, works great.
Posted By: Snyper Re: rubber cement - 03/11/15
If your rings fit, you don't need anything else at all
Posted By: reelman Re: rubber cement - 03/11/15
If your scope is slipping it's time to get different rings. Rubber cement gets harder in cold weather and probably changes it's dimensions ever so slightly, why put something that can move against a precise instrument?
When I do use Permatex, it's not because a scope is slipping.

As I pointed out earlier, quite often scopes slip because the rings have been over-lapped. (Apparently a lot of people think if a little lapping is good, a lot is better.) Also, not all scope tubes are exactly 1" or 30mm, and you might be surprised by the ones that aren't.

However, if rings are off-alignment enough so that many people would consider lapping, even after corrections to the bases, I usually prefer to use Permatex. It not only avoids the problem of possibly loose rings, but it's easier than lapping, in fact even easier than using Burris Signature inserts, and can be used with any rings. And since Permatex is designed for both heat and cold (most engines are subject to both), a layer between scope and rings ain't likely to come loose just because I went elk hunting some chilly November morning.
Posted By: MCT3 Re: rubber cement - 03/11/15
MD,

After applying the Permatex to the rings, do you let it dry first before mounting your scope or put the scope in immediately?
I put the scope on and tighten the rings gently.

Am glad this subject came up, since I need to buy some more!
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: rubber cement - 03/11/15
I've used rubber cement for years with excellent results. I may try MD's Permatex recommendation.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: rubber cement - 03/12/15

This also helps with the prevention of ring marks on your scopes.

Posted By: jt402 Re: rubber cement - 03/12/15
Permatex is good. Powdered resin is cleaner.

Jack
Posted By: 338WIN Re: rubber cement - 03/21/15
I use black RTV. Works great.
Posted By: Joe_Kidd Re: rubber cement - 03/21/15
Thanks for the great advice, will start using one of the methods, if noting else to protect from the ring marks.
Posted By: varmintsinc Re: rubber cement - 03/22/15
I just bed the bottom half in Devcon and get a perfect fit. Never had one slip going this route.
Posted By: kingston Re: rubber cement - 03/23/15
I use powdered rosin.
Posted By: bcraig Re: rubber cement - 03/23/15
Yep. I have usually used the No. 2.

Which one?
The hardening or non hardening ? #2A or #2B

Here are several,which one?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=Permatex+form+a+gasket+%233&_from=R40|R40&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XPermatex+form+a+gasket+%232.TRS0&_nkw=Permatex+form+a+gasket+%232&ghostText=&_sacat=0
Posted By: whitedogone Re: rubber cement - 03/23/15
I've always just rubbed a pencil eraser on some paper to get some crumbs. then used those. Same as rosin, I assume.
© 24hourcampfire