Home
Regular's here know the 6x is the fave Fixed if not a 4x.

Let's hear about your favorite variable.

Model, reticle, turrets if any, etc.
2.5-8 VXIII or similar. Duplex.......
3.5-10x40 VX3 duplex, CDS just in case
2-12x42 VX6 duplex, CDS just in case
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz

^^^This^^^
3.5-10x40 with B&C
1.5-5x20 post and duplex or heavy duplex.
3x9x40. Wide Duplex. Or the 3.5x10x40 same....
VX-6 4-24X52, Boone & Crocket
VX3 3.5-10X40 POST AND DUPLEX. powdr

Same here
VX-3 1.75-6x32 with German #4.
3-9x40 CDS VX-2, standard duplex.
3.5-10x 40.
3.5-10x40 with a plain duplex.
2-7x

Got 47 of 'em in Vari-X IIc, VX-I, VX-II, VX-1, VX-2, Rifleman, and Rimfire.

Actually, have more 4-12x40s, 18, than 3-9x40s, 11.
VX-3 2.5-8x36mm duplex and VX-3 3.5-10x40mm duplex,
Originally Posted by whitebread
VX-3 1.75-6x32 with German #4.

That, but heavy duplex.
4.5x14x40AO, with target turents
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
2-7x

Me too with duplex.
Originally Posted by 700xcr

This.
Swfa 3x15 mil quad........oops wrong thread!
VX II 1-4x20mm Duplex reticle.
3x-9x or 3.5x-10x both with just the standard duplex reticle.
3-9x40 Mark AR with the 1/2 MOA turrets and Mil-Dot. Nothing it can't do.... it was CDS before CDS was cool....and has a better reticle for handling wind. I've busted a few 1/4 MOA Target Turrets, and an M1..... but the 1/2 MOA clicks seem indestructible.
I like magnification and 30mm tubes with side focus. My favorites are VX3 6.5-20X50 with TMR and VX3 4.5-14X40 with TS-32X. To each their own.

ETA: M1 on the elevation turret.

Bob
VX-II 3x9x40 with the post & duplex reticle.
Dogshooter, personally I prefer the M2 profile vs M1. 1/2 MOA would likely do fine if not even the M3 in 1 MOA. Less clicks. Less wear right?
VX-3 3.5x10x40 plex.
VX 2 3-9X40 regular duplex.

I grabbed a few of them when the were on sale at $250., a great scope at that price line. They all have the CDS, while I would have preferred the regular knobs I can live with the CDS.

drover
I have used VariX-II's, standard duplex or German #4, for a LONG time! They are still working for me as well as ever!!
I tend to not over think things....
Right now it the 2-7x33 VXR with ballistic reticle AND the 3-9x40 CDS...with the edge to the VXR.
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by 700xcr

This.

Yep.

Looking forward to trying out the new VX6 3-18x44 this Fall.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

^^^This^^^

This, this, except I prefer an HD/
This in its various forms.
3-9x40mm whether VX1 or II (I know they're the same); LRD.

2.5-8 is my favorite and has been since it first came out.

Cost being always a factor, I have mostly 2-7 and 3-9X40 duplex scopes on my rifles. I don't shoot at night or much over 350 yards, so I have no use for anything better or more expensive.

Spotting is for binox or spotting scopes, not rifle scopes. wink
VX3 3.5x10x40. Duplex.

Have 3 of these on my serious hunting rifles. My other serious hunting rifle wears a 3.5-10 VX3 with CDS. I've had very few problems with Leupold through the years and I've owned a bunch of them.
vx3 3.5-10x40 with Boone and Crockett.....but only because I have not tried a VX6.
VX 3... 3.5-10x 40mm with the standard duplex.. (like it so much that I got two of 'em).
3.5-10X40 B&C. Give it an M1 too.
VX-I 3X9X40 Gloss Duplex. I have more advanced models but this is the one I have been most successful with.
VX3 3.5-10x40
Originally Posted by RickF
3.5-10X40 B&C. Give it an M1 too.

Yep. But I can get by with the 3-9x40 versions of the VX-II/2 series also. All are user-friendly to me.
Originally Posted by JGRaider
3.5-10x40 VX3 duplex, CDS just in case
2-12x42 VX6 duplex, CDS just in case

Yep, X2.

DF
Mine is their 3.5-10-40 VX3. The 2.5-8 is nice for short action rifles, but I have run into mounting issues with some LA rifles, particularly my Husky 1900. When mounted, it had no leeway for adjusting the scope back or forth for proper ER needs. It wasn't as friendly to get behind as the 3.5-10-40 either.
I always loved the first gen 1.75-6X32 VX-III with the shorter main tube, even though it sucked for long action rifles because you usually had to use extension mounts to use that stubby scope on a LA. Being a SA fan, that was never an issue for me, and I loved how compact and light that little scope was. I currently have 2 of them. Leupold has since lengthened the main tube of the 1.75-6X32. The newer VX-3 version is better optically, and I like it too. I also really like the 2.5-8X32 VX-3 and 3.5-10X40 VX-3, but once I'm in the 10X top end variable category, I prefer variables in the 2.5-10X config from some other brands better. To me, Leupold's biggest forte is in the light and compact category.

I really like the VX-6 series too, but for the MSRP, I sure wish Leupold would get on board with the hydrophobic lens coatings.
Rifle, nice to see you and Igor posting. You guys must be bored. smile

I've tried about all of the Leupie variables at one time or another. Can't find a favorite that will compare to their 4x and 6x, so I've quit trying. It's a fool's game.
3.5 - 10 X 40 VX3 with a B&C reticle and a CDS dial.
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Rifle, nice to see you and Igor posting. You guys must be bored. smile

"Igor" as you put it wasn't run off this forum as someone eluded to. He stopped because he got tired of people just ignoring his "professional" advise ( on scope design and manufacturing ), mostly from Eremicus from what I understood, and decided to spend his time elsewhere. Yes, he's not a hunter and made no bones about that, but there are a lot of technical questions about scopes asked here all the time, and he was a wealth of knowledge in that regard. He's not the only one who's been "run off" by the way some members here treat people, industry people, that went on to places where their "knowledge" would have been much better served. It was only recently that Steve Timm ( dogzapper ) has returned cautiously to see if things have changed and I, for one, how he decides to stay. He's forgotten more about guns, reloading and hunting than 99% of the ( mostly nice for the most part ) folks who post here.
RD, you're a good guy, and I agree with you on Timm. Not so much on koshkin. I never said or thought he got run off of here. He just chooses to post more over on OT where everybody can kiss his assss and tell him how great he is. When he gets challenged on a few of his posts, he appears to get butt hurt and ignores them, even though I asked them out of ignorance. Oh well.....
DD - the simple 4 & 6 are much more effective than many have discovered wink
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
I've tried about all of the Leupie variables at one time or another. Can't find a favorite that will compare to their 4x and 6x, so I've quit trying. It's a fool's game.

I wish I could disagree with this, but I can't. frown

VX3 2.5x8 B&C
VX-6 2-12x42 XT duplex reticle.
Originally Posted by BobinNH

I've tried to love the 6x..... God knows I've tried.... but alas, it just isn't in me.

If they made a FXII 8x36 with a duplex and fixed objective... I'd buy half a dozen of them. One of those with an M1 (or even a CDS) would be the titties on an open country rifle. Maybe even the wind-plex....

I did have a great little fling with a fixed 7.5x AO Leupold that was wonderful while it lasted.
3.5-10x40 Duplex. Would be happy with 2.5-8x36, but the 3.5-10 is long enough to fit long actions without extended rings, etc. I have found that for getting on target quickly, you can get away with more magnification than you might think if the stock fit/scope location causes the rifle to "point well."
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Originally Posted by BobinNH

I've tried to love the 6x..... God knows I've tried.... but alas, it just isn't in me.

dog shooter you are young,and grew up with variables. They are better today than when I grew into the sport and fixed were more reliable, tougher. We got used to fixed powers and thought nothing of heading west with 4X's.

For myself and friends,an elk at 300-400 yards with a fixed 4X was a chip shot. If we had to shoot further (we sometimes did) it was more like something had gone sideways on the hunt. A shot at over 400 yards was not considered routine.A fixed 6X still takes me to 600 yards although I have never shot an animal quite that far.

People want to shoot longer today and if you grew up with access to more scope power,a guy likely will use it.I'm not surprised that many younger shooters find it hard to adjust to fixed power scopes,or find them too limiting.

All the above applies to BG animals from antelope on up. Varmints and anything smaller are different story.
Favorite Leupold variable for big game? The couple I have are on 22s of rimfire or centerfire persuasion, so........??

... I use more M8 4X than M8 6X on my bigger rifles, (though the Weaver 2.5X is another I use and like).

These days, my eyes do like more juice when drilling paper though. smile
Totally agree Bob..... though I started my hunting career with a 6x Weaver. I killed piles of coyotes and prairie dogs with that scope atop a .25-06.... with an occasional pronghorn or mule deer thrown in. But once I went to Leupold variables I could see no reason to limit myself to 6x. I suppose growing up on the prairie, a guy's feelings on optics (rifles/calibers/bullets/etc) is probably quite different from a guy who grew up hunting the north woods of Maine.
I grew up with .222's wearing K-8 and K-10 Weavers, killed a bunch of small, varmint type stuff.

For hunting, I like variables as I usually keep them at lowest setting until I need more power. Many shots are at 2X or 3X.

And, I think the CDS is the neatest thing since sliced bread.

DF
I prefer the 2-7 or 2.5-8. With them being set on 4x 90% of the time. Where I hunt shot distances can vary from 30 feet to as far as a guy is comfortable shooting.

I do like the ability to go to 2x in the really thick dark timber.
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Totally agree Bob..... though I started my hunting career with a 6x Weaver. I killed piles of coyotes and prairie dogs with that scope atop a .25-06.... with an occasional pronghorn or mule deer thrown in. But once I went to Leupold variables I could see no reason to limit myself to 6x. I suppose growing up on the prairie, a guy's feelings on optics (rifles/calibers/bullets/etc) is probably quite different from a guy who grew up hunting the north woods of Maine.

You nailed it. Where we started,where we lived has lots to do with it. If I lived in your country I'd have leaned to "more scope",too. Even here we used higher optics for woodchucks and varmints in big farm fields.Mostly 10-12X Leupolds.

Anymore, today, I'm a scope chameleon.Some fixed 4X,some 6x,some variables....depends.

I guess my "favorite" Leupold variables are th 2.5-8 and the 3.5-10x. 20 years ago I'd have NEVER used a 2.5-10. smile

4.5-14 or 2.5-8
Originally Posted by 338rcm
3.5-10x40 with B&C

+1
2.5-8x36 for most applications, followed by 3.5-10x40.

VX-3 2.5-8x36mm duplex and VX-6 3-18x42mm duplex

JD338
65BR: My "favorite" would be the 4.5x14x40mm with the 1" tube and fine Du-Plex crosshairs.
While not ALL my Big Game Rifles wear this model Leupold currently I sometimes wish I could convert them all.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Non-AO? How is Parallax?
2-7
4.5x14x50 LR 30mm...I've got 6 of them :-)
Reticle?
VX-III 3.5-10 duplex with CDS.
Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40 Duplex
MK4 6.5-20x50 Mil-dot for L/R
1.5-6 for woods.
VX3 in 4.5-14x40mm, varmint reticle.
4-12's with turrets are my favorites.. Have many others, but if I could replace all with this scope, that would be my choice.
Originally Posted by Brad
2.5-8x36 for most applications, followed by 3.5-10x40.

same here.
© 24hourcampfire