Home
Posted By: deflave Gloss Scopes? - 09/04/15
Is Leupold the last of the Mohicans on this?

Travis
Posted By: CowboyTim Re: Gloss Scopes? - 09/04/15
Think you can get Bushnell scopes in gloss...now if you go cheap there are Barska, Tasco, and Swift, but I wouldn't go there.
Posted By: deflave Re: Gloss Scopes? - 09/04/15
Which Bushnells?

Travis
Posted By: Bighorn Re: Gloss Scopes? - 09/04/15
I have a gloss finish, Leupold MX8- 6x on my Ruger #1, which has a high gloss blue finish. I have considered putting a different scope on it, but nothing else would look quite as good. Not really willing to put any other brand on my rifle.
Posted By: Pointbock Re: Gloss Scopes? - 09/04/15
Clearidge makes a decent rimfire scope in gloss
Posted By: SD65 Re: Gloss Scopes? - 09/04/15
Originally Posted by deflave
Which Bushnells?

Travis

Grice's Gun Shop

Bushnell Elite
Model E3940G
3-9x40
Gloss
Multi X Reticle
Was $299 Now $199

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Gloss Scopes? - 09/04/15

never liked gloss.......

startle the critters........
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Gloss Scopes? - 09/04/15
Yeah, I've noticed that. Many times when I've aimed at animals from prairie dogs to elk, they've looked really startled when the bullet hit.
Posted By: mtmuley Re: Gloss Scopes? - 09/04/15
Same with stainless rifles. The animals all have that vacant dead stare. mtmuley
Posted By: Horseman Re: Gloss Scopes? - 09/04/15
Is it me or does it seem like matte scopes have a way more durable finish? Seems like the anodizing just doesn't show all the superficial marks like gloss. That's the draw for me.
Posted By: 31 bertram Re: Gloss Scopes? - 09/05/15
Guess I'm "old school", I like plain old 3x9x40 with a standard plex and gloss. I bought a brand new Burris FF II on sale for $115, it was a closeout because it was gloss.
Posted By: jt402 Re: Gloss Scopes? - 09/05/15
Gloss seems to be a better look for several of my rifles. FN made Browning Safaris, Gd III BAR, blue No. 1 AH, engraved Springfield, and the likes.

Matt is preferred on many others. What irks me is that to get a gloss anymore, I have to order it. Last time I was looking for a new gloss, I did not find one any local shop.

I am extremely pleased with my last Bushnell, an Elite 4200. Is the Grice Elite about the same scope?

Jack
Posted By: john843 Re: Gloss Scopes? - 09/05/15
jt, I think the Elite in question is probably more in line with the 3200 series. I've got a couple of them and have been extremely pleased. I paticularly like the full 6" of tube space. I've not run across an application where I couldn't mount the scope exactly how I wanted it (usually far back) and have clearance on everything. Personally, I believe they are near the top of the heap when it comes to value received for money spent.

John
Posted By: jt402 Re: Gloss Scopes? - 09/05/15
Thanks John!
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Gloss Scopes? - 09/05/15
I like gloss. I can see myself in it and that's never a bad thing.
Posted By: AMRA Re: Gloss Scopes? - 09/05/15
I have 2 old school Denver made Redfield scopes
1] Illuminator 3-9x40 GLOSS
2] Lo Pro Widefield 2-7x33 Gloss
That have a super HARD finish on the gloss!
The other more recent scopes I have
2] Trijicons Accupoints 1] FX-3 6X42 matte finishes are really easy to scar mark up with scope rings.
Not so with the old school Redfields!
Pity they just sit in the Gun Safe now collecting dust!!
AMRA
Posted By: deflave Re: Gloss Scopes? - 09/05/15
Ok, so for new production glass, Leupold is it.

Is that the consensus?

Travis
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Gloss Scopes? - 09/05/15
Apparently, and it's probably because Leupold likes to make something for every little variations in taste and perceived need.
Ok, so for new production glass, Leupold is it.

Is that the consensus?

More than likely,yes.
While the Elites do have a lot going for them, 1 pc. tube, decent glass, ample tube space, they probably are just short of a VX2 overall but better than a VX1.

John

Travis
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Gloss Scopes? - 09/05/15
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Apparently, and it's probably because Leupold likes to make something for every little variations in taste and perceived need.

Except a 6x matte with standard duplex. wink
John843,

I can't find any new production gloss bushnells.

Travis

I was going to venture away from Leupold if somebody else made something that would work, but they don't.

Have you used the B&C reticle with anything .222 or Fireball'ish?

Travis
Posted By: ingwe Re: Gloss Scopes? - 09/05/15
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

Leupold 6x36 Matte Duplex: Item No. 58830

Leupold 6x42 Matte Wide Duplex: Item No. 66815

Don't know if the wide bothers you on the 6x42...but there you have it....
Posted By: EZEARL Re: Gloss Scopes? - 09/05/15
Been searching a good bit since you started the thread. Looks like Leupolds it.
'flave, check Natchez. They have them in the Fall catalog update I received about a week ago.

John
10-4.

Thanks.

Travis
Natchez item #C15BHE3940G. 3-9x40 Gloss Multi-X reticle.

John
Not a bad scope but I'm looking for reticle options too.

I think if I stick with gloss, Leupold is it.

Thanks for looking though.

Travis
Probably the way to go. I think Bushnell has 2 choices of reticles across their entire scope line.
I've got a gloss VX2 3-9X40 on my best pre-64 mod. 70 fwt.
Kinda the best of both worlds- solid modern glass in a fairly trim package that compliments the fwt. and doesn't look out of place on a 60 yr. old rifle.

John
I have pretty much decided I don't want turrets for this new project. But I do want some sort of holdover and windage reticle.

Has to be gloss and I'd like it to top out somewhere between 8X and 12X.

I'm starting to think Leupold is the last fugking scope manufacturer to be perfectly honest. Not that the others don't make good stuff, it just looks like schit on a lot of rifles.

And I gotta look good out there.

Travis
Travis,

Of course you have to look good! I can’t remember all of the different Leupold multi-point reticles I’ve used on smallish varmint rifles, but so far they’ve worked pretty well.
Ok. I think the B&C will serve my purposes but I have never used one so I was curious.

Travis
Posted By: prairie_goat Re: Gloss Scopes? - 09/05/15
I'd take a hard look at Leupold's custom ballistically matched reticle.

[Linked Image]

It's finer than the B&C or LR Duplex, which gives a bit more precision for varmints and the like.
Really liked the one I had in a 3-9.
That’s a great one for smaller varmint rifles! Wondered where it had gone. It used to be a standard reticle.

I have a 3.5-10x40 VX-III with that reticle that first went on a Remington 700 Classic in .221 Fireball. It was perfect, because the rifle could be zeroed at 100 with the dot above the crosshairs and be just about on a 200-250, depending on the load. The lower dots did fine as far away as the .221 was effective.
Originally Posted by ingwe

Leupold 6x36 Matte Duplex: Item No. 58830

Leupold 6x42 Matte Wide Duplex: Item No. 66815

Don't know if the wide bothers you on the 6x42...but there you have it....

Both of those are wide duplexes. I much prefer the standard duplex because the thin section subtension is easier for me to use as a makeshift range estimator than the wide duplex.
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Gloss Scopes? - 09/05/15
Is Leupold the last of the Mohicans on this?

Travis

Leupold gloss and a .270

Originally Posted by prairie_goat

[Linked Image]

It's finer than the B&C or LR Duplex, which gives a bit more precision for varmints and the like.

Goat,

That reticle seems A-ok. Although I hate committing to one load, I may give this one a go.

Travis

Both of those are wide duplexes. I much prefer the standard duplex because the thin section subtension is easier for me to use as a makeshift range estimator than the wide duplex.

He's menses.

Be nice.

Dave
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Gloss Scopes? - 09/05/15
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

[Linked Image]

I'd never seen that before. That's cool as hell.

He's menses.

Be nice.

Dave

Actually that was the neighbors 16 year old kid that broke into my house and logged on, providing you with erroneous information. Same damn kid that broke in and told us all Bigsqueeze was dead.

I'll have to kill him.

He's menses.

Be nice.

Dave

Thank you...Ive been a little sensitive and moody on the tail end of male menopause....
Originally Posted by ingwe
I'll have to kill him.

Bigsqueeze? Careful, Tibbe may see that and provide his civilian intel to the FBI.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Gloss Scopes? - 09/06/15
I'll make it look like an accident...like those erroneous catalog #s that bastid posted under my name....
Posted By: ingwe Re: Gloss Scopes? - 09/06/15
Ot maybe I could just get Tibbe to teach me how to squirm out of a posting thats blatantly wrong! laugh
Posted By: rost495 Re: Gloss Scopes? - 09/06/15
Yeah, I've noticed that. Many times when I've aimed at animals from prairie dogs to elk, they've looked really startled when the bullet hit.

Yeah, but we buy camo and all, and then hunt with a shiny gun... never did like shiny guns. But got it all figured out that camo ain't all its cut out to be either.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Gloss Scopes? - 09/06/15
Exactly when has he accomplished that?
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Gloss Scopes? - 09/06/15
I have pretty much decided I don't want turrets for this new project. But I do want some sort of holdover and windage reticle.

I'm starting to think Leupold is the last fugking scope manufacturer to be perfectly honest. Not that the others don't make good stuff, it just looks like schit on a lot of rifles.

Travis

Not just the finish, but the look in general. Seems to be a race to decide who can stick the most obnoxious-looking power selectors, turret caps and eyepieces on their scopes. Then there's all those colored logos and gold appliqués they stick all over them. At least Bushnell gave up (I think) on the little circle of gold stars on the Elites.
Posted By: john843 Re: Gloss Scopes? - 09/06/15
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Travis

Not just the finish, but the look in general. Seems to be a race to decide who can stick the most obnoxious-looking power selectors, turret caps and eyepieces on their scopes. Then there's all those colored logos and gold appliqués they stick all over them. At least Bushnell gave up (I think) on the little circle of gold stars on the Elites.

This.

I think sometimes that a lot of it is a carryover from the tacticool side of things where more, gaudier is better.
Sometimes a scope just needs to be an aiming device and not a neon advertisment on top of the firearm.

John
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Gloss Scopes? - 09/06/15
Originally Posted by john843
jt, I think the Elite in question is probably more in line with the 3200 series. I've got a couple of them and have been extremely pleased. I paticularly like the full 6" of tube space. I've not run across an application where I couldn't mount the scope exactly how I wanted it (usually far back) and have clearance on everything. Personally, I believe they are near the top of the heap when it comes to value received for money spent.

John

Actually, the "Elite" scope available from Grice's is the equivalent of the 4200--it's actually the same scope. Then Bushnell discontinued the "Elite" and went to the new 3500, 4500, 6500 nomenclature. There was about a year in there that the "Elite" was it--and it was the same as the old 4200.
Posted By: deflave Re: Gloss Scopes? - 09/06/15

This.

I think sometimes that a lot of it is a carryover from the tacticool side of things where more, gaudier is better.
Sometimes a scope just needs to be an aiming device and not a neon advertisment on top of the firearm.

John

Comes down to what sells and what doesn't.

Leupold has their flaws, but at least they still have some sort of variety.

Travis
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: Gloss Scopes? - 09/06/15
Originally Posted by Horseman
Is it me or does it seem like matte scopes have a way more durable finish? Seems like the anodizing just doesn't show all the superficial marks like gloss. That's the draw for me.

I always thought it seemed the other way around, though I imagine the matte tubes hold Krylon better.
Posted By: Higginez Re: Gloss Scopes? - 09/06/15
What you want is a silver scope and you don't even know it. It'll be like aviators but for your rifle.
Posted By: StrayDog Re: Gloss Scopes? - 09/07/15
I don't see gloss scopes gaining much value as classics or antiques. About all that can be done is tape it off and give it a couple of clear matte coats of Krylon.
Posted By: john843 Re: Gloss Scopes? - 09/07/15
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

John

Actually, the "Elite" scope available from Grice's is the equivalent of the 4200--it's actually the same scope. Then Bushnell discontinued the "Elite" and went to the new 3500, 4500, 6500 nomenclature. There was about a year in there that the "Elite" was it--and it was the same as the old 4200.

Thanks for the clarification. I had always assumed that when the 3200, 4200, designation was dropped and they went to "just Elite" that since they were priced well under $300, (usually $200-$279 for the 3-9X40) that the Elites were basically the 3200 which had previously sold in that same price range.
Knowing this now, I think I do need one more:)

John
Posted By: deflave Re: Gloss Scopes? - 09/07/15
Originally Posted by Higbean
What you want is a silver scope and you don't even know it. It'll be like aviators but for your rifle.

I don't want my rifle to look that...ethnic.

Dave
Posted By: john843 Re: Gloss Scopes? - 09/07/15
Originally Posted by Higbean

Dave

Maybe on a Mod.70 "African"?

John
Posted By: deflave Re: Gloss Scopes? - 09/07/15
You're all racist.

Dave
Posted By: Higginez Re: Gloss Scopes? - 09/07/15
You're all racist.

Dave

Only my logical side.
Posted By: Magnumdood Re: Gloss Scopes? - 09/07/15

Dave

That's simple Travis/Dave; just ask for the non-pimp model. All will be well.
Posted By: Chainsaw Re: Gloss Scopes? - 09/07/15
deflate, My best friend Matte cannot find a gloss scope either. Good Luck in your search.
© 24hourcampfire