Home
Was in the store the other day and picked up and compared the Leupold vx-1 and vx-2 3x9-40 scopes. To my eyes the vx-1 was clearer than the vx-2. I even asked my daughter to do the same and she agreed that the vx-1 was clearer.

This can't be can it? Would you think that something was wrong with the vx-2 model or am I just nuts?
Maybe the VX2 needed to be focused to your eye?
What were you looking at to determine clarity?
Originally Posted by gaswamp
Was in the store the other day and picked up and compared the Leupold vx-1 and vx-2 3x9-40 scopes. To my eyes the vx-1 was clearer than the vx-2. I even asked my daughter to do the same and she agreed that the vx-1 was clearer.

This can't be can it? Would you think that something was wrong with the vx-2 model or am I just nuts?

Theres the problem right there
gaswamp,

I bought four Swarovski z5's. The difference in one to another was stark. You may be experiencing the same thing. My gunsmith was discusted with the lack of quality control.
You can probably make a better determination if the scopes are mounted. At least I can.
Honestly, it is all but impossible to ascertain a valid comparison by hand-holding scopes -- and that holds true whether you are in a store or on the range. They need to be mounted (properly adjusted for your comfort/eye relief) and motionless (gun rested solidly on sand bags). Proper focus is crucial, too.
Originally Posted by MagMarc

I did try focusing it, but it still was not the sharp image that the vx-1 was.

So, did you buy that VX-1?

Take the scopes outside and compare them, in doors wont tell you [bleep]
Originally Posted by whitebread

So, did you buy that VX-1?

no did not
This is a bit off topic but I have 2 VX-2's (not the newer updated version) and 1 older Vari-x ii , all are 3x9x40. The vx-2's are way clearer then the Vari-x . I don't like the power ring on the VX-2 , its really stiff on both of mine, and some times it takes a shot or two for the scope to settle after an adjustment. That said I've always been a fan of Leupold scopes there warranty Dept. has been great when I've dealt with them. A few years ago Bushnell was closing out the 4200 3x9 I bought 2 for $179.00 each. When I look through them and the VX-2's the difference is amazing those 4200's are way clearer and way brighter at dark. For the money I wish I would have bought 10. One VX-2 has been back twice ,a 338 RUM ate it both times. Both times the hand writing on the service report looked like it was by a kid having an the epileptic fit but I could see the word vertical both times in the explanation. The 4200's have been on a 338 RUM (2 years),a 375 Ruger and a 257 WBY. no worries. Warranty was a big selling point for me in the past because all the horror stories you hear about other companies . I'll still consider a Leupold when buying a scope but I will defiantly do some side by side comparisons. KH
the Bushnell 4200's are very nice, I agree!!!
that was an excellent buy on the bushnell
No more Bushnell for me.
My father in law had one that needed repair and I sent it in for him.
I was informed they had no parts for it and it could not be repaired. They did offer to sell me a new scope at wholesale.
I had an FFL and told them that was available to me 365 days a year.
I told them if they could not replace it why would I want to pay for another one?
I have one 4200 Elite I was able to purchase for under $200.00 also. To my eyes it is a great scope.
VX-1 glass is not going to keep you from killing anything.

And they have the same internals. I stopped caring quite a while ago.

Travis
I agree with deflave. Twenty or so years ago, I had a good bit of discretionary cash and bought a bunch of Vari-X III scopes. They have since been improved twice, but those scopes are way too good to toss and all still routinely guide my bullets to where I wish them to go.

Jack
You and your child were holding them. Who knows how many other hands were holding or banging them or whose fingerprints were on the glass and how out of adjustment it was. I saw a Meopta with a busted dial at Cabelas once. That wouldn't deter me from buying one.
Ask to get two new in the box to compare them instead.
I hunt with both regularly. If you can see the difference I'd be amazed.

But then again, I can't see the difference between new Leicas and Leicas that are five years old either.

Travis

I'd think low light would tell the story.
Huge difference in adjustments not so much in glass.
Originally Posted by 16bore
I'd think low light would tell the story.

It doesn't to these eyes.

Travis
I don't know what they've changed but the newer VX-1 looks better than any of the older vari-x's I own. I recently put a 3-9x40 VX-1 on a featherweight compact 7-08 and have been very happy with it. Your eyes may vary.
© 24hourcampfire