Home
Posted By: Jeff_O SWFA SS 5-20x50 experiences - 02/13/16
Anyone used one of these?

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-HD-5-20x50-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P51653.aspx

I need a scope for a long range rifle I'm building and this has caught my eye as a possible alternative to a NF.
No experience, but they'll be doing a tax day sale most likely April 15th.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: SWFA SS 5-20x50 experiences - 02/13/16
I didn't know that. Thanks!
Shoot them an email and ask. They have a mailing list for their sales. It's generally only tax day and Black Friday, but they send it out.

Black Friday is pretty worthwhile. Usually 20-25%. I can't recall tax day.
I owned one of the 3.5-15 SWFA scopes and it was pretty decent for the money. I think you'd be good to go with one of them.
Posted By: JimD. Re: SWFA SS 5-20x50 experiences - 02/13/16
I have one on a 300WM and its a great scope. Reticle is very good and usable in the entire power range, but better from 8x up. Turrets are positive and stay put. The parallax and power ring are hard to turn, but that is no big deal to me. Glass is good and the lit reticle is very good, with only the middle portion being lit. Eye relief is good. I dont have thousands of rounds through it, but so far, I would recommend it, as long as it is not going on a light weight rifle.
Posted By: RHutch Re: SWFA SS 5-20x50 experiences - 02/13/16
I've owned a couple. They are solid scopes but I'm pretty sure SWFA won't sell them to Obama voters. Might want to call them on Monday.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: SWFA SS 5-20x50 experiences - 02/13/16
Originally Posted by JimD.
I have one on a 300WM and its a great scope. Reticle is very good and usable in the entire power range, but better from 8x up. Turrets are positive and stay put. The parallax and power ring are hard to turn, but that is no big deal to me. Glass is good and the lit reticle is very good, with only the middle portion being lit. Eye relief is good. I dont have thousands of rounds through it, but so far, I would recommend it, as long as it is not going on a light weight rifle.

Thanks. The rifle will be quite heavy. Do you dial the turrets much? How is it in low light?
Posted By: JimD. Re: SWFA SS 5-20x50 experiences - 02/14/16
I dial every time I shoot it. I think it's 8.4 mils @1k with a 210 Berger around 2850 fps @ 300 ASL. I haven't sat down and compared it to my SB, but the glass is good and for sure will get you to 1/2 hour after sunset. Like I said, I don't have thousands of rounds through it, but so far so good. I got it for $1120 on a black Friday sale, and for that price it is a steal.
i got one on the promo they ran. it tracked great, great glass, built like a tank. but the reticle sucks, and the illum was mediocre. but you can normally find used ones for $1100 or so for illum and 900 for non illum. they aren't worth the msrp imo. the gen 1 razor is a better scope and can be found for 13ish used
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: SWFA SS 5-20x50 experiences - 02/14/16
Originally Posted by jjrgr21
i got one on the promo they ran. it tracked great, great glass, built like a tank. but the reticle sucks, and the illum was mediocre. but you can normally find used ones for $1100 or so for illum and 900 for non illum. they aren't worth the msrp imo. the gen 1 razor is a better scope and can be found for 13ish used

What didn't you like about the reticle?

I've read that the illumination isn't great. I'm currently thinking I don't want the illuminated reticle anyway, in this instance.

Thanks.
What I've read about the reticle is that the illumination is executed perfectly to place a shot. Very crsp and dim enough not to interfere with anything other that highlight the aiming point. But, it is just the aiming point so if you like the whole tree lit, that it is not.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: SWFA SS 5-20x50 experiences - 02/14/16
I'm wondering if the FFP nature of the scope had the reticle too thick for some X's or something. Hopefully jjrgr will flesh out his comment.

I'm not generally a fan of complex reticles...... but this whole project, from the rifle build specs to the scope, is partly to get my ass out of my comfort zone and trying new stuff. smile
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
I'm wondering if the FFP nature of the scope had the reticle too thick for some X's or something. Hopefully jjrgr will flesh out his comment.

I'm not generally a fan of complex reticles...... but this whole project, from the rifle build specs to the scope, is partly to get my ass out of my comfort zone and trying new stuff. smile

Trying to get your ass away from the lying POS you have always been?
Originally Posted by jjrgr21
i got one on the promo they ran. it tracked great, great glass, built like a tank. but the reticle sucks,

So, a mildot or Mil-Quad reticle "sucks", care to elaborate or would you rather have most just assume you're a stupid SOB.

Boy, didn't take long for this thread to start it's descent into the garbage heap.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: SWFA SS 5-20x50 experiences - 02/15/16
I'm noticing some significant past tense here: "I had one and...." ...

Did they serve as a bridge to a Nightforce, or......?
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
I'm noticing some significant past tense here: "I had one and...." ...

Did they serve as a bridge to a Nightforce, or......?

Flavor of the day. Newer things have come and gone.

I like mine. I used it for hunting this year. Not the best way to go as the reticle is small at 5X and I had no need to go higher for 300 yard deer. At least I finally bloodied it.
Thanks madman.
Since you're skull Fhuging the schitt out of it anyway..... which seem par for the course....

I'd way rather a run a Bushnell 3-21 DMR than a 5-20 SS.... one just sold in the classifieds for $900.... and it's WAY more scope than the 5-20....

I've played with the SWFA 3-15 and 5-20 enough to know I don't like either of them.... though the fixed version is the only way to go under $500. The LRHS (30mm) and DMR & HDMR (34mm) series scopes are holding it down pretty damn well on both the long range hunting and PRS (LR Match) scenes.

I like my 3-12 LRHS more than I liked my NXS 3-15, or any of my Uber Chickens.....
Interesting. Thanks, 'shooter.

In what way(s) would you opine that the Bushy is the better scope?

It'd be damned hard for me to put a Bushnell ANYTHING on a rifle... but gol' dang it, I'm here to listen and learn, and get better, and if a (gag) Bushnell is the schidt then I will just have to beat the part of my brain that thinks that brand is crap into submission. smile

Thanks again and I'm hoping you'll elaborate.
i sold a SS 5-20 and bought a DMR, if it weren't for the [bleep] MQ reticle, i like the SS better.

i just sold the DMR, and have no idea what to get.
Originally Posted by Dogshooter

I like my 3-12 LRHS more than I liked my NXS 3-15, or any of my Uber Chickens.....

The LRHS will be available with an illuminated reticle this year.
Things have changed a little since your sebaticle..... it happens, I've taken a few myself.

I suggest you hit the search function hard on the Bushnell LRHS, both 3-12 and 4-WTF.... also the 3-21 DMR or HDMR....

Here's a 3-12x44mm, 30mm tube on a Kimber 84L in .280 AI. You get 10 MIL per rev, a zero stop, a capped windage, and an excellent reticle. Many don't like the donut..... but most folks grow to like it quickly.

[Linked Image]
Things have changed a little since your sebaticle..... it happens, I've taken a few myself.

I suggest you hit the search function hard on the Bushnell LRHS, both 3-12 and 4-WTF.... also the 3-21 DMR or HDMR....

Here's a 3-12x44mm, 30mm tube on a Kimber 84L in .280 AI. You get 10 MIL per rev, a zero stop, a capped windage, and an excellent reticle. Many don't like the donut..... but most folks grow to like it quickly.

[Linked Image]

Will do. Thank you.

I didn't just take a Campfire sabbatical, I had to basically stop shooting for a couple years there while my brain reassembled itself into something resembling functional. I also stopped paying attention to what was going on in the optics realm (obviously).

Making up for lost time now, shooting a LOT. That 7 WSM I built is slap-yo-momma accurate and is helping me chase down the last incremental flies in my accuracy ointment.... haha.

I'll look into those. Thanks again.
I'd agree on the LRHS (which Pat/scenarshooter and George Gardner helped Bushnell design). My 3-12 is more scope than my 3-9 SS or 10x SS, for a little more coin. I'm loving it. Glass is great for the price, and functionality is awesome. I like my Razor, but the LRHS may currently be my favourite scope.
Just get a nightforce and be done with it.
Originally Posted by Bluemonday

The LRHS will be available with an illuminated reticle this year.

Where did you get this tidbit ^^^^ ??? Any clue when?
James Yeager put up a clip about it from the SHOT Show, so I'd guess a few months yet.
© 24hourcampfire