Home
Posted By: erich Coyote calling scope ? - 02/15/16
Does ànyone know of a 1-4x20mm to 1-6x20/24mm or even a 2-7 scope with a duplex or German #4 reticle with à 1/2-1 minute center dot? I would prefer it not to have 1n illuminated dot to keep the weight down, I have an Alpen opitic 1.5-6 scope añd an Elite 4200 1.25-4 set up like that but bothe the scope have illumination.

I just acquired and new rifle and I'd like to set it up that wày.

Thànk you
erich
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Coyote calling scope ? - 02/15/16
Get on Leupolds website and see if available as a custom built option.
Posted By: norske Re: Coyote calling scope ? - 02/20/16
If I was doing the calling, you'd want all the magnification you could afford. If the game warden I used to live four blocks from was calling, you'd want a low power scope. He used a 12 ga shotgun and #6 shot. the coyotes were around 25 yards away. Damn, he was good!
Posted By: boatammo Re: Coyote calling scope ? - 02/20/16
Use a 6x42 leupold with long range dots works great for up to 300 yds.Great when You do it right also.
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: Coyote calling scope ? - 02/22/16
I think most people somehow get caught up in the concept that a coyote calling rifle needs some sort of specialized power range/reticle/features. For each individual that may be so, based on ones own specific desires. However, in my opinion, a coyote calling scope is no different than your deer rifle. When someone says they are coyote calling, my assumption is they are calling them in close, Usually 100 yards and in, with possible hangups out to 200. That is generally speaking of course. To me, that is the criteria upon which one should base a coyote scope purchase/selection.
Posted By: erich Re: Coyote calling scope ? - 02/22/16
In the past five years I don't think I've ever moved the scope off of the bottom power to kill a coyote. The three this week were killed on 1x or 1.5x at 29, 39 and 52 paces. I can't even imagine trying to call coyotes with a straight 6x with a 17' FOV at 100 yards in the country I like to call.
Posted By: 30338 Re: Coyote calling scope ? - 02/22/16
Just bought 2 of these, 1 will be for coyote rig. Got one on black Friday for $299 and second off samplelist.com for $299 new in box.

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-1-4x24-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P78365.aspx

It is a nice optic.
I run a 4.5-14 and 2.5-10 on the two bolt guns that get used most for yotes. Kept on the lowest setting for called dogs, the top ends have adequate magnification to handle longer shots.
© 24hourcampfire