Home
Posted By: leomort scope suggest for CZ 527 - 02/22/16
Need some scope suggestions for CZ 527 223rem. It's a very trim rifle that weighs about 6lbs without scope.

I'd prefer to try to keep the trimness of this rifle thus don't really want a big bulky high mag scope.

This rifle would mostly be a paper puncher at the range. Perhaps try my hand at coyote hunting at the outmost possibility.

Does a 6x42 or a 3.5-10x40mm scope seem too big on a rifle like a CZ452?

Or would I be better off with a fixed 4x33mmo or 1-4x20mm scope?

Thank you for your feedback and advice!
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: scope suggest for CZ 527 - 02/22/16
If by paper punching, you mean group shooting, you want a bit of power available ; more than 4x. For plinking or target (not group) shooting, a scope with a low end available is handy.

I'd look at a Leupold 6x36 or maybe a 3-9 EFR, both of which are reasonable in size and weight. To save a couple bucks, look at the Weaver K6.
Posted By: CowboyTim Re: scope suggest for CZ 527 - 02/22/16
Sounds like a good place for a 6x38 Weaver to me...
This Zeiss 4X Diatal-C fits well, if you can find one used on Ebay, etc. The glass is great, duplex is about perfect. Leupold Med rings, CZ M1 American bolt handle.

[Linked Image]

Wouldn't work with the std. 527 bolt handle, the replacement CZ part is around $35 and a snap to replace. There is an online You Tube video that covers the simple change out.

[Linked Image]
Vintage El Paso Weaver K-8 for range work, load development.

[Linked Image]
I have a 3.5-10 VX3 on my 527 sporter....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: scope suggest for CZ 527 - 02/22/16
For more power on targets and varmints the Leupold VX2 4-12 AO is a relatively light and compact scope.
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
For more power on targets and varmints the Leupold VX2 4-12 AO is a relatively light and compact scope.

I like that idea.

Could you post a photo?

DF
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: scope suggest for CZ 527 - 02/22/16
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

[Linked Image]

Now that is cool.
Originally Posted by Pappy348

[Linked Image]

Now that is cool.

Yeah, sorta retro looking... smile

That old scope spent nearly a year at Iron sight, Inc, being refurbished at a cost eaual to if not exceeding the value of the scope. But, I have fond memories as a youngster, that scope on my .222, busting crows, etc.

Those scopes may not have the brightest glass by today's standards, but track well with precise A/O. With the fine crosshair, should be great at the range.

DF

I like that idea.

Could you post a photo?

DF

The only picture I have of one is on my 1416 Annie 22 LR. Remember it's a smaller 64 action at just under 6 lbs bare.

[Linked Image]

The VX2 4-12 AO weighs 13.2 ounces and is 12.3 inches long. The 3.5-10X40 VX3 weighs 12.6 ounces and is 12.6 inches long. The non AO version of the VX2 4-12 only weighs 11.6 ounces.
Do you think the A/O version is worth the extra cost and wt.?

DF

DF

Just for hunting no ,but if I wanted to shoot targets at various ranges or perhaps if I wanted to shoot varmints at say over 300 yards then yes.

It was totally worth it to me since it was for a 22 LR. That may be another consideration since the AO scope could always be swapped to a high quality rimfire at some point.
Posted By: djb Re: scope suggest for CZ 527 - 02/22/16
Originally Posted by leomort

IMHO, YES!

I have tried 4 different scopes on my 527; Leupolds (3-9, 4-12, 2-7) and Minox 3-9. The Leupold 2-7 just fits perfect on the mini mauser. I just received some Burris 527 rings and they are a BIG improvement over the CZ rings in looks and size too. The CZ rings are just too robust for the small action.

PS...I sold the 4-12 Leupold as it was to worst offering i have ever had from them....the eye box was horrible and it was dim. It is the last 40mm scope I will have over 10x.

DF

Just for hunting no ,but if I wanted to shoot targets at various ranges or perhaps if I wanted to shoot varmints at say over 300 yards then yes.

It was totally worth it to me since it was for a 22 LR. That may be another consideration since the AO scope could always be swapped to a high quality rimfire at some point.

I have two 3-9 rimfire Leupolds with A/O. I may need to try one of those on the 527.

DF
Originally Posted by djb

IMHO, YES!

I have tried 4 different scopes on my 527; Leupolds (3-9, 4-12, 2-7) and Minox 3-9. The Leupold 2-7 just fits perfect on the mini mauser. I just received some Burris 527 rings and they are a BIG improvement over the CZ rings in looks and size too. The CZ rings are just too robust for the small action.

PS...I sold the 4-12 Leupold as it was to worst offering i have ever had from them....the eye box was horrible and it was dim. It is the last 40mm scope I will have over 10x.

Just for hunting I would go with the 2-7 Leupold and I agree about the rings.
Posted By: jt402 Re: scope suggest for CZ 527 - 02/22/16
I'm in the process of dealing for a 527 M1 and a Leupold Ultralight 3-9 EFR. Glad you guys mentioned rings. I had not given them proper consideration, and likely would have settled for CZ.

Thanks,

Jack
I agree that CZ rings are way too clunky and heavy.

The Warne is about the lowest, I like the Leupold shown above. Burris rings are nice.

With vertical split rings vs. horizontal split rings, it seems to me that I could swap scopes around better with horizontal rings like the Leupold rather than vertical split rings like Warne, Talley, etc.

With the horizontal set up, the base is stationary, doesn't move around. Removing the top straps and swapping scopes, a zero'ed scope should still be on the paper. Don't think you could say that with vertical split rings.

DF
Another option.

I sent an older 2.5-8x33 to Leupold for service. They sent me a new VX-3i 2.5-8x33. Pretty neat scope.

That one would probably work well on the 527.

Will have to mount it and take a picture.

DF

Will have to mount it and take a picture.

DF

I'll save you the trouble.....here's one on my calling rifle/Remington 700 Classic....they're one of my favorite scopes but I like a little more on my CZ since I shoot a lot of Gofers with it.....

[Linked Image]

PS....the 2-5-8 is $100 less than the 3.5-10 which is nice....
Just as an FYI,

Tikka factory rings fit the CZ dovetail, and mount a bit lower, while still allowing the bolt to clear.

I have T3 take off rings on my 527 x39.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: scope suggest for CZ 527 - 02/22/16
When I bought my CZ 527 in 22 Hornet, there wasn't much left over for optics. Fortunately, Natchez was selling Weaver affiliated Intensity Optics at stupid low prices and I picked up a surprisingly decent 3.8-14x44 model that I mounted in factory rings. It's on the large side, but the length of the barrel on the Hornet helps balance the size of the scope.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Just as an FYI,

Tikka factory rings fit the CZ dovetail, and mount a bit lower, while still allowing the bolt to clear.

Interesting.

What about the rear ring recoil lug?

May not need it with .223/Hornet round.

DF
DF,

That lug is a pin that pops right out. smile

I've wondered about those. How do you like it? Thx.
Posted By: leomort Re: scope suggest for CZ 527 - 02/23/16
I have the vertical split rings from Warne and don't care for them. I'll look into those burris and leupold rings. Wasn't aware of the Tika T3 rings being compatible.

I have Leupold rimfire 3-9x33mm EFR scope but it's on my CZ 452 22lr.

Got a Leupold FX-II 4x33mm on my 308Win.

Scopes that I have available are Leupold FX-III 6x42mm and VX-3 3.5-10x40mm.

Have to give some consideration to moving the Leupold rimfire to the 527.
I like my 3-9x33 EFR scopes. On a .22LR, you can crank the parallax down to close range. I have a 50' indoor range over my shop/garage. I can shoot my .22's up there.

I'm not sure that close range parallax feature would be as useful on a center fire, even a Hornet. But, the scope should work pretty well on the 527.

The 4x33 would look good/work well on the 527. And, I think either of the larger scopes would be suitable for the .308. I'd leave the EFR on the .22.

IMO.

DF
2x7x35 Burris with Warne Med Rings and modified bolt handle.
Dirtfarmer,

I like the idea of keeping the Leupold Rimfire scope on the 22lr.

I agree that the 4x33mm scope would look good/work well on the 527. Will have to look into that.

Then I could put either the 6x42 or 3.5-10 scope on the 308Win. Decisions, decisions!

atomchaser,

Fortunately, these newer 527 have modified bolt handle.
Dirtfarmer,

I like the idea of keeping the Leupold Rimfire scope on the 22lr.

I agree that the 4x33mm scope would look good/work well on the 527. Will have to look into that.

Then I could put either the 6x42 or 3.5-10 scope on the 308Win. Decisions, decisions!

atomchaser,

Fortunately, these newer 527 have modified bolt handle.
Originally Posted by TexasPhotog

I've wondered about those. How do you like it? Thx.

It was a temporary solution that has become permanent. It simply works, and the price was right. I have a 1-3x Weaver that just stays on 3x, and seems about right for the little mini Mauser.
Posted By: liliysdad Re: scope suggest for CZ 527 - 02/23/16
I have been using the DIP Picatinny rail and Burris rings on my CZ for a few years now. For me, its a much better solution that any sort of direct mount rings.
Originally Posted by liliysdad
I have been using the DIP Picatinny rail and Burris rings on my CZ for a few years now. For me, its a much better solution that any sort of direct mount rings.

How does that rail fit/mount on the 16 mm bases?

DF
I have a VX1 3-9x40 on mine and I love it. Light scope, works good for me.
Can you post a picture on your 527 with the CIP rail?

DF
I will see if I can dig a photo up, if not I will get one.
I ordered a DIP rail. I can use low Weavers for lower mount than any direct rings. And, I can swap out scopes.

DF
I am currently using the DIP extended rail, with Burris Zee Mediums and a Leupold Mark AR 3-9. It sits a bit higher than I would like, but lower than the OEM rings. I will eventually pull the bolt handle and put the grind to it so I can use lower rings, just haven't gotten to it yet.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: lazi Re: scope suggest for CZ 527 - 02/24/16
Meopta 4x32 or IOR 4x32...

I currently have a older Meopta 4x32 and it's perfect. I also have a I OR 4x32 and I wouldn't hesitate to replace the Meopta with it should the need arise.
I guess I have too many scopes to choose from, a high level problem, for sure... grin

I have a Vari-X II 3-9x40, just back from Leupold, all checked out and cleaned. The DIP rail plus low Weaver's will mount a scope lower than any direct ring set up. IIRC, the DIP is .33" and low Weavers are .09" (.42" combined). Warne med is slightly less than .5", most others are .5" or higher. Without the M1 handle, .42" won't work.

The Vari-X II gloss finish looks good with the bright 527 Prestige blue.

That's my current thinking on the subject... cool

DF
I have found the Warne Medium 30 mm QD rings fit my Zeiss 2.5-10x42 with no issues from the bolt. My bolt must have been one of the later curved ones. Sure would like a Pic rail from CZ if they ever get them in...
I didn't know CZ made a Pic rail.

The DIP Pic rail looks pretty good.

DF
Posted By: liliysdad Re: scope suggest for CZ 527 - 02/24/16
I have seen the CZ rail...I like the DIP rail considerably better. Its a much sleeker and lower design.
Thanks.

That's the one (DIP) I ordered.

DF
Posted By: leomort Re: scope suggest for CZ 527 - 02/24/16
So if you use the DIP rail, what rings would you use/look for?
Just curious here. I really like the little 527; it's certainly my idea of a walking varminter which is good in that I hunt coyotes by spotting and stalking often through deep snow. I carry three rifles in my truck, the 204, a 223AI, and a 243, picking one or the other depending on conditions and how close I think I can get. We've lost our snow now so I may be finished for the season.

Sometimes, I wish I had taken something other than the 204 when I find I can't get inside 300 yds. That's happened this year several times making me wish I had AO or side-focusing on my scope. It's a Leup 4.5-14x40 VX3 with CDS. While I've not missed with the 204 this year, at those ranges my hit must be pretty precise with the little 39-gr Blitzes. I really like that power range and want to keep the scope as "petite" as the rifle. That's where I particularly like Leupolds.

Considering how I hunt coyotes here, the ranges--usually 200-400 yds, would any of you differ from the various recommends above and suggest something different? AO or Side-focus?

Edit: I did have the bolt modified as discussed so I have enough clearance.

Thanks; I appreciate..
Posted By: liliysdad Re: scope suggest for CZ 527 - 02/24/16

I like the Burris Zees that I am using, they seem to be a solid bet regardless of use. Oddly enough, another ring that I have become quite fond of the CVA Durasight rings.

Low Weavers.

They're .09", so the combo will be lower than the lowest direct rings.

With the M1 handle, I think it'll work.

I'll post photos when I get it all put together.

DF
Posted By: Hunterapp Re: scope suggest for CZ 527 - 02/24/16
Entirely up to you! I like your Leupold 3.5 x 10 option. I run a straight 4 power on a CZ 527 in 22 hornet. a 3x9 on a 223. a 4.5 x 14 side focus on a 6.5 Grendel. Each one is my favorite most of the time I am putting them to use.

Applications vary and Ideal scopes do as well.

http://s1308.photobucket.com/user/darapp/media/Grendel/CZ%20527%206.5%20Grendel_zpsk8kft02q.jpg.html
Posted By: jt402 Re: scope suggest for CZ 527 - 02/25/16
Earlier in this thread, someone wondered about the parallax adjustment on the Leupold UL 3-9 EFR. I have had an older model on an air gun, a .22, and then for years on a .243, and now back on a .22.

The parallax adjustment is not just for .22 lr distances. It will focus from feet to infinity. Hated to take it off the ..243 as I had to go higher rings with the replacement 3-9 4200 Elite.

Properly mounted, there have never been eye box issues with anything it resided on.

Good shooting,

Jack
I've been trying to find a set of these with no luck. Anyone know where I can find a set?

Attached picture CZ adapter.jpg
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
Just curious here. I really like the little 527; it's certainly my idea of a walking varminter which is good in that I hunt coyotes by spotting and stalking often through deep snow. I carry three rifles in my truck, the 204, a 223AI, and a 243, picking one or the other depending on conditions and how close I think I can get. We've lost our snow now so I may be finished for the season.

Sometimes, I wish I had taken something other than the 204 when I find I can't get inside 300 yds. That's happened this year several times making me wish I had AO or side-focusing on my scope. It's a Leup 4.5-14x40 VX3 with CDS. While I've not missed with the 204 this year, at those ranges my hit must be pretty precise with the little 39-gr Blitzes. I really like that power range and want to keep the scope as "petite" as the rifle. That's where I particularly like Leupolds.

Considering how I hunt coyotes here, the ranges--usually 200-400 yds, would any of you differ from the various recommends above and suggest something different? AO or Side-focus? It's glassed and free floated, shoots half MOA.

Edit: I did have the bolt modified as discussed so I have enough clearance.

Thanks; I appreciate..

In your situation, here's what I'd be packing, a Mohawk 8 twist Shilen .22-250 with VX-3 1.75-6x33 CDS set up for the 80 gr. AMax. The lower power is great for fast shots, the 6X not bad for longer shots. Glassed and free floated, Timney trigger helps.

IMO, a truck gun doesn't need A/O, needs to be short and quick.

DF

[Linked Image]

DF, I probably wasn't clear. I drive the country roads and spot the coyotes in the sections of one- to two-mile squares. Either way, they are usually in the middle or close to it, so then it's on foot. Second, snow conditions dictate the noise you make and these coyotes typically don't sleep "too tight," lifting their head periodically for a look around.

So these "truck guns" aren't just for opening the door and taking a shot.
I want one of these rifles in .223. Seems to me that it's hard to beat for the money if you want wood/blue.
George,

I understand what you're doing. It's a bit different where we are. We may drive up on hogs or see a 'yote. It's gotta be quick and deadly, thus the fast, short gun with plenty of whack power.

This gun shoots 80 gr. A-Max's slightly better than 75's. The 80's at 3K seem to fly about like 75's at 3,200, or pretty close.

Back to the 527. (We don't chase rabbits here on the Fire...)

With the DBI rail in place, the Vari-X II 3-9x40 was mounted in low Weavers for a total height of .45", vs. the Leupold .50". Not that much difference, but seems to aid in a better cheek weld. The DBI Picatinny grooves didn't line up very well with Weaver rings, but did after some cutting and filing.

[Linked Image]

M1 bolt handle clears nicely, leaving plenty of room for Butler Creek lens covers.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jt402 Re: scope suggest for CZ 527 - 03/04/16
I picked up my 527 .223, and and the ultralight Leupold 3-9EFR today. I swapped the tall CZ rings for medium Warnes. If I don't like the set up, I will go to an older 3.5-10 AO in Weavers.

The EFR can always find a home on a good .22. lol best,

Jack
Posted By: jt402 Re: scope suggest for CZ 527 - 03/09/16
I went with a 3-9 ballistic plex FFII, USA made that had 20 rounds of .270 underneath it.

I had forgotten the reticle, and the short eye relief of the scope is compatible with the .223 recoil. Will exchange the UL EFR or find it a home.

Best,

Jack
© 24hourcampfire