Home
Hello! I just purchased a Sako AV in 338 Win Mag and I was looking for opinions on a good optic for it. It will be primarily used for elk, and if I ever get on a moose or bear hunt, for that as well. I have a VX3 in 2.5-8x36, I was thinking of putting on it, but was wondering what folks on the fire thought. Any feedback or recommendations appreciated. Thanks!
I'd just put one of the Leupold M-8 4X I have on mine (like I have on a Ruger 338 converted to 358 Norma), but it I had a 2.5-8 already, why not?
The age-old battle about brands will continue here. Just like Ford/Chevy. For a large bore rifle I worry more about getting some repeatability than anything. After your last zero-in shot, will the next one be in there? Maybe. I got rid of a Leopold VX-1 for this reason. I then went down to a Pentax which held zero perfectly, but was impossible to turn the Power ring without taking off your gloves. I have since upgraded slightly to a Vortex Diamond Back 4-12 X 40. This semms the way to go for me. Reasonably priced and has held zero for one box of 30-06 185 Gr. Fusion shells. We shall see.
Posted By: SKane Re: Good Scope for 338 Win Mag? - 02/23/16
When I had a .338, it wore a 2.5-8 Leupold.
If I still had it, it'd be wearing the same scope.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Good Scope for 338 Win Mag? - 02/23/16
I've run a Leup 2.5-8 on my .338; you'll find it doesn't have much mounting latitude. Might be an issue for you, might not.

My .338 has a 3-9x40 Conquest on it and I have no interest in changing... the eye relief characteristics are perfect for a heavy kicker, there's plenty of fore-aft latitude, and it being a heavier scope than say a 2.5-8 Leupold is a GOOD thing, in my mind, on my .338. Pretty much perfect, and at $300, one of the great bargains of the scope world to boot.

If you go this route, it is that specific Conquest I'm pimpin' here. For instance, the 3.5-10 Conquest (which I also ran on my .338) has really different ER characteristics.
Posted By: 1Nut Re: Good Scope for 338 Win Mag? - 02/23/16
Originally Posted by SKane

This is what my 338 wears. Seems about perfect to me.
Posted By: tmitch Re: Good Scope for 338 Win Mag? - 02/23/16
Originally Posted by 1Nut

This is what my 338 wears. Seems about perfect to me.

That's what my .338 has worn since new (15 years). I haven't found a scope better suited.
pm sent
My .338 also wears a 2.5x8x36 Leupold. Another good alternative is the 2x7 Leupold VX 2.

That 2-7 sure is a sleek, light little scope.

I've read that the less wt. and mass, the less potential for damage from a big kicker...

DF
On my last trip to Colorado my 338 was topped with an older 2.5X8 Leupold. That scope has been a few rifles and has never failed to hold zero.
make sure your mounts are the right distance apart. Not much room on a av with 2.5-8.

Same here. I went 2.5-8 Leupold after it killed a Conquest wink
My Sako 338 (late 60's vintage) started out with. a Leupold VX-R and performed just fine. Zero problems. I now have a Schmidt & Bender on the hard kicker after running up on a deal I couldn't refuse.
I also put a 2.5x8 Leupold on my Ruger .338. It's worked just fine.
Posted By: Owl Re: Good Scope for 338 Win Mag? - 02/23/16
I have a .338 Win Mag in a Uncle Roy rifle. It wears a Leupold 2x7. Works for me.

My 338 wears a 2.5x8 VX3 as well. As stated, may not work for you if ring spacing doesn't fly.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: memtb Re: Good Scope for 338 Win Mag? - 02/23/16
hawkman0206, I'm biased toward Leupold, but any quality scope will work. Of course hunting conditions dictate your power options. My top choices would be a VX3 in 2.5-8 or 3.5-10. Whatever you choose, I hope that it works well for you. memtb
Posted By: Huntz Re: Good Scope for 338 Win Mag? - 02/23/16
I have had good luck with Conquests with #4s on heavy kickers.
Posted By: Blu_Cs Re: Good Scope for 338 Win Mag? - 02/23/16
I used to have a 2.5x8 VX-3 Leupy on mine, and have had for 20 years without an issue, but Mule Deer informs us that once you get past .300 magnum then the variables become less reliable and that one may be better off with a fixed scope, in my case a 4x. Given that my hunts with a .338 are few and far between, and even if its probably not an issue, I don't want to take a risk on a hunt of a lifetime, so I moved the variable over to a .30-06, and put a fixed 4x on the .338WM. Haven't even sighted it in yet, but that's my logic, based on opinion which is respected and heeded.
I whole heartedly agree with your respected and heeded logic! My Ruger M77RS carries a Leupold M8-3x scope Ruger low rings.
Posted By: 338WIN Re: Good Scope for 338 Win Mag? - 02/23/16
I've had M8's in 4x and 6x and a Conquest 1.8-5.5. All have 4" eye relief and all worked great on my .338. I've been happy with all of them and only changed because I was messing around. I do think I like the conquest best. BUT if the poop hit the fan and I knew I had no options I'd put the m8 6x36 on and sleep well.
I'm running the 3x9 Conquest on a couple 338s and it's by far my favorite. Very good eye relief and I like it's constant when you change power.
I've had a Nikon Monarch UCC 3-9x40 on my 338 for about 15 years. It gets carried and banged around alot more than shot, but is always very close when firing my couple of zero-check shots each year. I wish they still made them.
2.5 X 8 Leo on mine.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Good Scope for 338 Win Mag? - 02/24/16
Originally Posted by hawkman0206
Hello! I have a VX3 in 2.5-8x36,

Look no farther. PERFECT scope for the 338 and you might want to consider a B&C reticle. I like mine very much.
I had a 2-7 Leupold VX II on a previous .338 and just received a 2.5-8 VX-3i for the .338 I have on order. I will keep my 6x42 FX III as a backup scope for it. The new VX-3i scope is from the Custom Shop so it should be assembled correctly.
I have a 3-9x42 Kahles on mine, it has worn a Swaro 3-9 and a B&L 4200 3.5-10 and all have done fine.

How it is set up now VVV
v
Originally Posted by davidlea
I have a 3-9x42 Kahles on mine, it has worn a Swaro 3-9 and a B&L 4200 3.5-10 and all have done fine.

How it is set up now VVV
v

David,
I haven't received the rifle yet. It's in the mail now. I was going to put my VX3 2.5-8 on it. Seems that scope is going to be a good option, so that's what I'm putting on it. I'll post pics once it's all setup.

You won't go wrong with the 2.5-8, it is one of my favorite scopes. Some mounts make it difficult to put one on a long action other than that you will be golden. I have shot beyond 800yds with a 2.5-8 and it did great, plus you'll have plenty of eye relief and field of view.

Look forward to seeing your pics once you have it set up and hearing how you like it.
Posted By: Ready Re: Good Scope for 338 Win Mag? - 02/24/16
Hey Skane

can you do a Cartridge / Caliber picture, please?

Neat idea for a sigline.
I have two 338s one a M70 and a Remington both with 2.5/8 L
The one on the M 70 was purchased over 15 years ago.
It has been used and abused and still holds p.o.a.
The one. On the Remington is 10 years old and no problems
We have changed over to this scope on our 12 ga slug guns as well
Good hunting
Phil
Posted By: JD338 Re: Good Scope for 338 Win Mag? - 02/24/16
My M700 LSS 338 RUM wore a VX-3 2.5-8x36mm scope when I first bought it. On 8x, the Duplex reticle cross hairs fit perfectly in a 6" black bull at 500 yards.

JD338
Posted By: SKane Re: Good Scope for 338 Win Mag? - 02/24/16
Originally Posted by Ready
Hey Skane

can you do a Cartridge / Caliber picture, please?

Neat idea for a sigline.

Your wish is my command.
I'm sure it'll make its way around so I made sure to give Rick some run. grin

[Linked Image]

2.5-8 will work great if your ring spacing will allow it. Personally I'd be leaning more toward:

1. VX3 3.5-10x40
2. Zeiss conquest 3-9x40
3. Elite 4200 2.5-10x40.

Longer tubed scopes are generally more forgiving to mount on long action rifles..
Posted By: Dre Re: Good Scope for 338 Win Mag? - 02/24/16
2.5-8 or 3.5-10 leupold.
I like my monarch 2.5-10. Granted it is on 06 but I'm ok From brush to open country.
People say fixed 6 power is so great, but at 400 yards I am glad I have 10x.

I have a Kahles 3-9X42 TDS on my .338-06

My 338 RUM, runs various scopes.
Originally Posted by Dre
2.5-8 or 3.5-10 leupold.
I like my monarch 2.5-10. Granted it is on 06 but I'm ok From brush to open country.
People say fixed 6 power is so great, but at 400 yards I am glad I have 10x.

That 2.5-10x42 monarch is a great scope. I miss the one I had on my 300 WSM...
I use & like 1.5-6x42mm on my 338 and a few other rifles. This is my all-around power range. All dictated by the intended game and terrain.
Though for my personal hunting, very little game/terrain/distance would I feel under or over-scoped for. I am not opposed to higher or lower power, larger or smaller objectives have them and use them. Depends on the "intended / expected" circumstances.
The 2-8 power range should cover lots of circumstances. I do like the 42mm objectives in above 4 power, but eyes and what is pleasing to those eyes do differ.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Hello! I just purchased a Sako AV in 338 Win Mag and I was looking for opinions on a good optic for it. It will be primarily used for elk, and if I ever get on a moose or bear hunt, for that as well. I have a VX3 in 2.5-8x36, I was thinking of putting on it, but was wondering what folks on the fire thought. Any feedback or recommendations appreciated. Thanks!
Posted By: 700xcr Re: Good Scope for 338 Win Mag? - 02/27/16
I have a Leupold VX3 2.5-8x36mm duplex on my 375 Ruger Guide Gun and like it. In heavy timber the 2.5x is used and more open areas it is on 6x. I use 8x for load development and range work. Scope it light, compact and fits low on receiver. That keeps a good cheek weld to the stock for shooting off hand real easy.
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs
I used to have a 2.5x8 VX-3 Leupy on mine, and have had for 20 years without an issue, but Mule Deer informs us that once you get past .300 magnum then the variables become less reliable and that one may be better off with a fixed scope, in my case a 4x. Given that my hunts with a .338 are few and far between, and even if its probably not an issue, I don't want to take a risk on a hunt of a lifetime, so I moved the variable over to a .30-06, and put a fixed 4x on the .338WM. Haven't even sighted it in yet, but that's my logic, based on opinion which is respected and heeded.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/10976514/

Posted By: dawaba Re: Good Scope for 338 Win Mag? - 03/01/16
My .338WM wears a 2.5x8x32 Conquest, a discontinued scope. They pop up on EBay for around $350. They have a long tube for generous mounting and have the same large eye box as other Conquests. My .375 Whitworth has the same scope, so the Conquest is robust enough for the bigger recoiling rifles. The 32mm objective makes for a trimmer package than the larger 3x9x40 Conquest.
Posted By: norske Re: Good Scope for 338 Win Mag? - 03/01/16
I'm fan of 2-7X and 2.5-8X Leupolds, but my 338 Win Mag won't be used for small targets. It has a 1.5-5X Leupold.
Posted By: mudhen Re: Good Scope for 338 Win Mag? - 03/01/16
I have had a few .338 Mags over the years, and all of them wore Leupold 3-9x40s. My first one still had the same scope that I put on it over 17 years ago when I traded it last year, and it was still holding zero. Guess that I was just lucky... smile
I'm in the 2.5-8x Leupold crowd...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Good Scope for 338 Win Mag? - 03/02/16
Originally Posted by dawaba
My .338WM wears a 2.5x8x32 Conquest, a discontinued scope. They pop up on EBay for around $350. They have a long tube for generous mounting and have the same large eye box as other Conquests. My .375 Whitworth has the same scope, so the Conquest is robust enough for the bigger recoiling rifles. The 32mm objective makes for a trimmer package than the larger 3x9x40 Conquest.

I've been curious about those. I think it was Bob who spoke highly of them. That, and the 4x they disco'd at that same time were very interesting scopes.

I think that anyone who tried a 3-9x40 Conquest on a .338 would come away thinking it was pretty ideal. Miles of eye relief, big clear easy sight picture, very solid adjustments, etc.

Surprised by all the folks liking the Leupold 2.5-8 for this application. I like that scope and have owned a half-dozen of them, and when they fit a rifle they are pretty sweet, but there's just not much mounting leeway on a long action rifle- at least my Remingtons.
Posted By: Axtell Re: Good Scope for 338 Win Mag? - 03/02/16
Early on I had two rifles in 338 Win, one had a 2x7 and the other a 2.5x8, both Leupold's.
As I got older the realization came to me that these rifles and others used fro hunting were always set at 6X as a default setting. Most all game was taken at 6X.
The 338's are long gone and now use a 9.3 for heavy game and a 30-06 for hunting everything else. Both wear a 6x42 with M1 and CDS dials installed.
These are rugged and reliable with a very generous eye box which negates some of the magnification at close range and 6X is good to at least 600 yards.
© 24hourcampfire