Home
This size seems to be the best for an all around fixed hunting
size, so what are some recommendations?
I've yet to have a complaint about the fixed power Leupolds. 4x33, 6x36 and 6x42 have all worked well for me. That said, it's the only brand I've used

BigStick will be along shortly to tell you that your an idiot for not buying a super chicken fixed [bleep]. You know, because the has the luxury of not having to guess. Somehow he will use pictures of rainbow painted rifles and fish to prove his point.
Well....you can use a 6x36 with LR dots like this:

[Linked Image]
Love my 6x42 leupold with M1 turret. Just picked up a luepold 6x36 and so far I like it.
Leupold. M8 through FX3. All exceptional and can't beat the warranty.
Originally Posted by ShortMagFan
I've yet to have a complaint about the fixed power Leupolds. 4x33, 6x36 and 6x42 have all worked well for me. That said, it's the only brand I've used

BigStick will be along shortly to tell you that your an idiot for not buying a super chicken fixed [bleep]. You know, because the has the luxury of not having to guess. Somehow he will use pictures of rainbow painted rifles and fish to prove his point.

Leupolds are good scopes. What do you not like about a chicken?
I've been thinking about picking up a chicken 6x mil quad scope to just check it out.....
I have both the Leupold and Meopta 6x42 and think the Meopta may be a shade better optically.
Own a number of 6X42's & one 6X36. All great scopes & work well to outstanding in low light. I used to teach scope mounting at NRA Hdq. & mounted lots of scopes. I only had one problem with mounting a 6X42 & fortunately it was mine. Mounted the scope & went to bore sight & the reticle was broken. I planned to have the reticle changed after sighting in so I returned to Leupold for the heavy reticle change with a note about the broken reticle. Received back in about a week no charge. One of the best scopes for the money that can be bought.
If you want a moderately-priced, totally reliable scope, then the answer is SWFA 6x.

If you want a Leupold, just watch the classifieds, as there is always a fixed for sale it seems.
If you want something light and reliable for moderate ranges with a duplex or a hold over reticle the leupolds are fine scopes.

If you want to turn knobs the swfa seems the way to go.
Originally Posted by gonzaga
I've been thinking about picking up a chicken 6x mil quad scope to just check it out.....

I have one like new with SWFA 30MM rings, butler caps, I'll let you have for a good price.
Originally Posted by 458Win
I have both the Leupold and Meopta 6x42 and think the Meopta may be a shade better optically.

I had both also and thought the Meopta had better glass.
Originally Posted by hunting1

I have one like new with SWFA 30MM rings, butler caps, I'll let you have for a good price.

Shoot me a PM hunting1......please
Use the power and scope that your eye likes for your shooting.

When we go to the eye doctor they have us look thru different lens and they ask us what we like!

Start with a variable and switch it to what power is best for how your hunting.

A good place to start for most hunting might be a 2X to 7X Leupold variable.

$259

Link

Always liked the Meopta I got from Alex.
I'd go either Leupold 6x42 or SWFA 6x42 MQ. The SWFA is more bang for the buck though.
Originally Posted by hunting1

What is the #, send me a PM.
I have a LNIB Weaver K6. Optics are good, I'm just not liking the fixed 6x. I'll make you a good deal of you what to try it out. Shoot me a PM.
Ive used a leupold 6x38 for years on my main hunting rifle and am very happy with it. I recently got a leupold m8 6x42 and it has a crazy amount of eye relief, impressed so far.
M8 6x42 M1 has been my favorite of all time.
S+B 6x42
I think the best is S&B. But, best for the money is Meopta. I've owned both along with 6x42 scopes from Leupold, Swarovski and Zeiss.
I am kinda cheap, but I have 6x Weavers on my two most carried hunting guns......
I love 6x scopes. Following are my thoughts:

Weaver: great scope for the money. Tube is short so I only put on short action rifles where they work great.

Leupold: I loved the 6x42. Was my favorite scope. Clear enough, flexible eye relief and mounts easily on most rifles. But I have sold all but one. I got tired of the scopes getting wonky after adjustments and shooting all over the place for 4-5 shots before settling and I didn't think they held zero all that well. Every Leupie I have bought the last few years have done this and is a sample of dozens. I don't think this was always the case with Leupold, but I am about through with their product.

SWFA: I have one and so far so good. Not bad for price. Heavier than Leupie and eye relief not quite as flexible. I wished at least the windage turret was covered. I hate exposed turrets on a rifle I will travel with.

Meopta: I have one and haven't shot it, but have it mounted. So far so good. Eye relief is decent, glass is clear, mounted just fine on a long action. This may be my next favorite if it tracks well and is durable.

S&B: had one and sold it. Good scope. Tracked well, clear, etc. eye relief is not flexible at all and I didn't like it. Sold it pretty quickly.
I'm kinda with Desert Mule Deer. I always thought that the 6x42 was a stout proposition and for some I'm sure it is.

But I bought one last year in a fit of "I don't know why?",yanked a perfectly good 6x36 that had been in zero for 5 years on my 7mm Mashburn, and popped on the 6x42.

Since the rifle is proven I grabbed zero at 100 yards and fired a 3 shot group at 300 yards that measured about 9 inches(!?)

I went through the usual drills of checking screws, mounts etc and continued to try more groups with lousy results. I finally yanked the scope, installed the 6x36,and never had to touch adjustments for it to shoot a 3" 300 yard group and a couple of MOA out to 600.

Might be ring spacing on the Mashburn that was the problem with the 6x42...whatever. They are off my list.

I will take a 6x36 in the Leupold line up.
If you could find a 6x42 Sightron Big Sky, there's no flies on it, either. Not the custom options of the others, but as bright/clear as any, tracks/adjusts well, and has a decent reticle. Keep waffling on parting with one of mine, since it has no ride and I'm not the fixed 6x junky that some are. wink
© 24hourcampfire