Home

For a 6-24x scope turret spinner - Vortex!
Have you looked through the Vortex AMG yet?
I've owned a vx6 (3-18x44) and have fondled the vortex amg.

The two scopes are different and imo comparing two different beasts; 4x vs 6x zoom ratio (vortex ffp 6-24 30mm tube; Leupold sfp 3-18 30mm tube, 4-24 34 mm tube).

I'm not speaking a side by side comparison, but both had good glass. Leupold's eye box is amongst the best I've experienced. The vortex did tighten as I zoomed higher.

I think one should decide the purpose of the scope and the feature desires of the user when picking the two.

If one was mostly looking at turret twisting, the vortex amg should be one up on the vx6. However, I hunted and twisted turrets in multiple conditions with the vx6 and never had any problem.

I've never fully jumped on the vortex band wagon, but I am intrigued with the amg. As I was told multiple times by the rep that is more of a 2017 available scope,so I'm not worrying too much about it now.

It still has rough turret edges like I've experienced with all vortex scopes (pst broke skin) why they don't change that I don't know.

I'd like to see them release a 4-20 as I feel like it's a feature rich scope (I like the lockable turrets) and still light/compact enough to carry for hunting.
I shot a Razor last week... But not the new HD AMG.

We were shooting 600 & 1000 yards.

NICE!

These new AMG's are only 28 oz... So they are right there with Leupold... But not too much turret chase issues on the razor side.
Spotshooter,

isn't there almost 10 ounces difference in the two scopes?
The AMG looks nice on paper but for less money you can buy an ATACR. Which is the nicer scope?
SFP ATACR. The FFP ATACR's are about $2,800 or more.
I would love NF to make their 4-16 atacr with a 30mm tube. The 34 mm tube for me just looks too bulky. But yes that particular scope is cheaper than the amg.
Originally Posted by Ringman
Spotshooter,

isn't there almost 10 ounces difference in the two scopes?

More like 5 oz delta.
Originally Posted by Gledeasy
I would love NF to make their 4-16 atacr with a 30mm tube. The 34 mm tube for me just looks too bulky. But yes that particular scope is cheaper than the amg.

Yep, plus the NF reticle options are not as good IMO.
Didn't realize that the ATACR came in both planes.
Scope us out price
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

Typical street price for SFP.
Not sure but what that SFP Nightforce might be as good as it gets for someone NOT using it to range or engage multiple targets with a spotter calling your shots.
Using the reticle for ranging is old hash; the modern LRF has rendered it obsolete 99% of the time. The main advantage of a FFP reticle is not estimating range. Making and calling corrections in windage and elevation is but one application where it shines over SFP reticles. It's also excellent as a dual-use reticle. On minimum mag they often provide a simple, bold, featureless aiming point for use at close range or low light. On mid-max magnification you get a fine, info-laden ruler for precision or LR applications.

I rarely have my scopes set to max magnification for LR or precision shooting, depending on mirage, lighting conditions, FOV required, target size, etc. It sure is nice to not even have to THINK about where the mag adjustment is set, for my reticle to match my turrets, and for the measurements be true to claim.

You can't compare the SFP NF to a FFP Razor AMG. Apples and oranges.
Can an AMG even be bought?
Posted By: BradB Re: Vortex Razor AMG HD vs. VX-6 - 06/06/16
Nope. And if you are not on the pre order list it will be a long wait. Hoping to have mine in monthish. I did get to play with one at there place a while back. Really is a gen2 downsized.
I might know somebody wink
Kahles K624i for FFP

VX6 is a stellar scope, escpecially with the zero lock feature.
Posted By: BradB Re: Vortex Razor AMG HD vs. VX-6 - 06/08/16
I asked Frank over at snipershide, what he was still thinking of the AMG as he is one of the very few to have any meaningful time behind it. he has had it for months and using the crap out of it in PRS matches ext. I got back form him today LOVE IT! Said his full review will be out soon
Posted By: BradB Re: Vortex Razor AMG HD vs. VX-6 - 06/15/16
Frank released his review, pretty sure he is the only one with any real time behind the scope. You can also click on the read review.
http://www.scout.com/military/snipe...4790083-vortex-razor-hd-amg-6-24x-review
© 24hourcampfire