Home
Posted By: gremcat VX3 CDS coupon? - 06/02/16
I bought another 2.5-8 VX3 this past fall. I didn't get a CDS coupon and can't remember if it's only on the larger scopes or not. Was thinking of having it set up for MOA and either resetting parallax as low as possible for an Airgun or using it aon one if the kids so they both match. Come to think of it I don't remember getting the rebate check back on that one either.
Posted By: barm Re: VX3 CDS coupon? - 06/02/16
Originally Posted by gremcat
I bought another 2.5-8 VX3 this past fall. I didn't get a CDS coupon and can't remember if it's only on the larger scopes or not. Was thinking of having it set up for MOA and either resetting parallax as low as possible for an Airgun or using it aon one if the kids so they both match. Come to think of it I don't remember getting the rebate check back on that one either.

I don't remember that model having the CDS. If it did there is no coupon with the scope. You call into Leupold with your serial number from the scope and if the previous owner didn't get one made then you can get one for free.
Posted By: gremcat Re: VX3 CDS coupon? - 06/02/16
I bought it new. I couldn't remember if they offered CDS on all VX3 or just some. Thanks will call them
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: VX3 CDS coupon? - 06/02/16
IIRC, the 2.5-8 has to go back for CDS retrofit.

DF
Posted By: bellydeep Re: VX3 CDS coupon? - 06/02/16
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
IIRC, the 2.5-8 has to go back for CDS retrofit.

DF

This
Posted By: KenMi Re: VX3 CDS coupon? - 06/02/16
Why would it have to go back for a retrofit, if it has a CDS turret already on it?

The coupons in the box mean absolutely nothing. There is no coupon code, date, or any other info. Leupold asks for the serial number, and that is what they go by. If a custom dial hasn't been made for that serial number, they will make one free. Or you can pay $65.

Posted By: AKwolverine Re: VX3 CDS coupon? - 06/02/16
Originally Posted by KenMi
Why would it have to go back for a retrofit, if it has a CDS turret already on it?

It doesn't. The 2.5-8 wasn't offered with one; has to come from custom shop.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: VX3 CDS coupon? - 06/02/16
My VX-3 2.5-8 was sent back for CDS retrofit.

The OP's scope was probably retrofitted like mine, as I don't think Leupold offers a factory CDS in that scope.

If that's the case, he won't have a CDS coupon, he'll have to buy the custom CDS turret, but they aren't that expensive.

DF
Posted By: gremcat Re: VX3 CDS coupon? - 06/03/16
Mine doesn't have a CDS but wanted to try a simple Mil zero stop CDS. I couldn't remember if this model was a free one or I had to pay for one. I have the same 2.5-8 with a M1 as well and so far it's been fine. Just wanted to try a shorter know and zero stop. If I have to pay for CDS I may try and get the TMR or at least something with wind holds in it. I bought this new and vaguely recall the details.
Posted By: WingsFanDetroit Re: VX3 CDS coupon? - 06/03/16
You can also buy the factory CDS dials on ebay pretty cheap if you want to dial your dope and not have a ranged dial.
Posted By: gremcat Re: VX3 CDS coupon? - 06/03/16
Didn't know that thanks
Posted By: Brad Re: VX3 CDS coupon? - 06/03/16
The 2.5-8x36 was offered with the CDS when the it first appeared, currently it is dropped from the CDS option apart from a Custom Shop retrofit (which I've done).
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: VX3 CDS coupon? - 06/06/16
Originally Posted by gremcat
Mine doesn't have a CDS but wanted to try a simple Mil zero stop CDS. I couldn't remember if this model was a free one or I had to pay for one.

Only the factory CDS scopes have the free card for a custom turret. Non-CDS models must go back for retrofit to CDS. With those, you buy the custom turret. Seems like retrofit was around $85. IIRC, the custom CDS is around $50 or so. Someone may want to confirm those prices.

DF
Posted By: ME109 Re: VX3 CDS coupon? - 06/06/16
I just did two of them and it was $90 for the retro-fit. I had a couple of P5's laying around but asked the cost if I needed the turret and I think it was $150.
Sometimes a surplus yardage CDS turret can be adapted to another round.

For example, my 180 gr. NBT/NAB .300 WM turret has the same trajectory as my 8 twist .22-250, 80 gr. A-Max at 3,150 fps. Same drop all the way to 400 yds., probably pretty close on out, just compared to 400.

So, if you have a yardage CDS turret not being used, just check Hornady Ballistic trajectories and see if you can find a match.

The MOA crowd will say something about their system being better; I just don't like having to keep up with a drop sheet, like to keep stuff simple.

I remember with my Swaro TDS reticle, there were classes of rounds that ran pretty close together.

DF
Posted By: JGRaider Re: VX3 CDS coupon? - 06/06/16
You're right DF. Good point. Also, for a cheap and easy fix to an extra dial laying around, there's an outfit called Custom Turret Systems that will make you a durable, stick on label for cheap. They work great.

http://customturretsystems.com/
Yeah, remember you saying and saw the site.

May try them one of these days.

Robert
Originally Posted by JGRaider
You're right DF. Good point. Also, for a cheap and easy fix to an extra dial laying around, there's an outfit called Custom Turret Systems that will make you a durable, stick on label for cheap. They work great.

http://customturretsystems.com/

And with a little pin, you can turn the std. CDS turret into the zero stop version. Just compare a custom zero stop turret with the one that comes with the scope. There is a hole, just no pin.

Then, add the CTS ballistic strip and you're in business, on the cheap... grin

My kinda deal... cool

This may be the way to go if you don't have a CDS coupon.

DF
© 24hourcampfire