Home
Posted By: timl Help me pick out some binos... - 10/13/16
For those of you who use your binos in the woods, what power and objective size do you prefer? What would you pick if you had a $200 budget?
Originally Posted by timl
For those of you who use your binos in the woods, what power and objective size do you prefer? What would you pick if you had a $200 budget?

Leupold Yosemites 8x30
For deer hunting I prefere 8X42. In that price range, Vortex is hard to beat.
Well they won't be used for deer hunting, I'm in law enforcement and I want a couple sets for my team in case we need to search wooded areas. Although we will be looking for people, I think hunters have more experience in this area, thanks.
Bushnell Legend M series or the new Vortex Diamondback.
At $149.88 (close out price), these Cabela's Guide Series 8x32 binoculars would be awfully hard to beat. They're very light and handy, have really good glass and great ergonomics - they're really an excellent binocular. They're purported to be the same as the Leupold BX-3's that were selling for $450 or so.

I just used them in a swamp with a mixture of hardwoods, palmettos, and scrub briars, and was easily able to pick out hogs moving at various distances. I might have enjoyed having 8x42's for the larger field of view, but I wouldn't want to go any higher on the magnification.

FC
In woods I use Leupold Yosemite 6x30s.

They perform well beyond their price point IMO......
Best used Pentax DCF SP or ED you can afford
I recently discovered the brightness of 8 x 56 glass and found that I prefer it. I don't think I'll go back to a smaller objective size. Yes, they are larger but the image sure is nice.
I recently discovered the brightness of 8 x 56 glass and found that I prefer it. I don't think I'll go back to a smaller objective size. Yes, they are larger but the image sure is nice.
Originally Posted by RobJordan

Really??? 8x56??? for a woods bino??? Surely you jest!

And for a mere 10x the budget!
I like a 7 or 8 x 32 or 42.

If you don't mind the weight don't be afraid of porro prism Fujinon, Nikons or other name brands. Still love my old Fujinon fmtrsx's for glassing from the boat.

http://cameralandny.com/spec-sheet.html?catalog[name]=Minox-BV-8x44-Binocular-%2362237-%28Demo-Unit%29-Binoculars-and-Scopes&catalog[product_guids][0]=1258498

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11503058/FS:_Minox_BD_8x32_ALT_BR_bino#Post11503058
tkinak,

Lately I have been looking for some good 7X binos. Do you know of any?
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
At $149.88 (close out price), these Cabela's Guide Series 8x32 binoculars would be awfully hard to beat. They're very light and handy, have really good glass and great ergonomics - they're really an excellent binocular. They're purported to be the same as the Leupold BX-3's that were selling for $450 or so.

I just used them in a swamp with a mixture of hardwoods, palmettos, and scrub briars, and was easily able to pick out hogs moving at various distances. I might have enjoyed having 8x42's for the larger field of view, but I wouldn't want to go any higher on the magnification.

FC

That's probably exactly what I'd buy. I also heard they were just re-badged BX3's, but got a chance to check them out in person. They don't seem to be the quality as the Leupold, but at $149.00, who gives a chit. The glass is very clear and supposedly they have all the same coatings as the BX3. I almost bought a pair to put through the paces, but damn if the 22lr was on sale too. I had to buy the 22lr instead... blush

As for the OP's question. I like my Leupold BX3 8x32's. Excellent binos that are lightweight and fairly compact. The glass is damn good on these and I can wear them all day long, and have. They just work.... I wouldn't go any bigger or heavier. A prime example of this was the other day when my buddy showed me his new glass. They were 10x50's and heavy. He tried wearing them for a while and in the pack they went after a couple hours. He was off to aiming his rifle scope at distant deer to check them out. Irritating to say the least..
Originally Posted by Ringman
tkinak,

Have you looked at the Zen Ray Zen ED2 7X36 from Cameraland. I'm sure Doug could probably send you set for evaluation.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
They were 10x50's and heavy. He tried wearing them for a while and in the pack they went after a couple hours. He was off to aiming his rifle scope at distant deer to check them out. Irritating to say the least..

you hunt with ringman?
Originally Posted by Prwlr
Originally Posted by Ringman
tkinak,

Have you looked at the Zen Ray Zen ED2 7X36 from Cameraland. I'm sure Doug could probably send you set for evaluation.

I am an amateur optics "critic". When I purchase a new one I drag out a few of the others to compare on the optics cart (127 yards away) and the deer antlers(131 yards away). The optics are laid on sand bags. I bought some of those awhile back and compared them with my Nikon Action Extreme ATB 7X35 and others. To my surprise and a couple others guys the Nikon was definitely better. The idea one gets what he pays for is an internet myth. The Zen Ray cost $375 while the Nikon cost $125.
No question, Theron Wapiti 8x32 under $200.00
My truck binos and the best bang for the buck period.
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged

FC

Going from an 8x32 bino to an 8x42 gives less FOV not more if your comparing like brands
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
They were 10x50's and heavy. He tried wearing them for a while and in the pack they went after a couple hours. He was off to aiming his rifle scope at distant deer to check them out. Irritating to say the least..

you hunt with ringman?

That's funny MacGyver... laugh
Deal of the month here. These are tic Below the $500 Vortex at almost half the price. I have a both, pretty good stuff!!

http://cameralandny.com/spec-sheet.html?catalog[name]=Minox-BL-8x44-HD-%2362048-(Demo-Unit)-62048&catalog[product_guids][0]=1291475
Just went through this and picked up Zen Ray Summits 8x32 and am thrilled with them. The 6x30 Yosemites were fabulous and offered a serisously comfortable view at half the price though. I think 8x is often just a tick too much to steady and wish someone would make a great 7x35. Nikon makes one but they are heavy and sort of older models.
I'm going to start getting some samples to look at, any other suggestions?
Originally Posted by timl

When bow hunting I use a pair of Redfield 8x32 binos. They are fairly small, light, and pretty good right up to quitting time. They can be had for well under your budget.
© 24hourcampfire