Home
I have an old (late 80's-early 90's???) Leupold vx-2 2-7x33 and was looking at the newer vx-3i's either in 2.5-8x36 or 3.5-10x40. I like the 2-7's low weight (9.9 oz), but these newer scopes are only slightly heavier (11.5 and 12.5 oz)

obviously would gain a little low light advantage from moving to 33 to 40 objective; but beyond that is the new glass/coatings worth the upgrade (read $)

thanks in advance
Did that a couple of years ago when the VX-3's went on sale before the VX3i's came out. I'm sure I'll catch hell here for being some kind of an idiot but I don't really see a huge difference in scopes.
When you get down to it they are only a system to put the reticle on the target at consistently the same spot. I upgraded from a VX-III 1.5-5 to a VX-3 2.5-8 and a VX-II compact 2-7 to a VX-2 3-9 Ultralight. The extra magnification is nice for my old eyes and they are a little brighter but I sure don't notice the difference when deer hunting. whistle
To really see a difference you probably have to go up to the Meopta, Night force or SWFA or something in that range but you are generally talking twice the price and more weight.
Flame on.
I'd do it if I wanted a different reticle, but in low light at 2 or 3 power your scope isn't at a great disadvantage. I have several VX3 2-8x36 and they are nice scopes but if I already had that 2-7 on there, I'd leave it.
Originally Posted by mtwarden
I have an old (late 80's-early 90's???) Leupold vx-2 2-7x33 and was looking at the newer vx-3i's either in 2.5-8x40 or 3.5-10x40. I like the 2-7's low weight (9.9 oz), but these newer scopes are only slightly heavier (11.5 and 12.5 oz)

obviously would gain a little low light advantage from moving to 33 to 40 objective; but beyond that is the new glass/coatings worth the upgrade (read $)

thanks in advance

No, not for an aiming instrument.

If all I had to put on my rifle was my 1978 vintage Vari-X II, I doubt it would ever cost me a critter.............

Casey
thanks Gents! I think I'll save my $ for now smile

I looked at the B&C reticle, but not sure how much it would really be needed

I find the VX3 B&C Reticle a visual cluster-F.

If you don't want to turn turrets, I think the newer incarnation of the old 2-7x33 with better glass, 1/4 minute clicks, and the LRD (Long Range Duplex) Reticle is a worthwhile upgrade.

It's a good scope.
Originally Posted by Brad

I find the VX3 B&C Reticle a visual cluster-F.

If you don't want to turn turrets, I think the newer incarnation of the old 2-7x33 with better glass, 1/4 minute clicks, and the LRD (Long Range Duplex) Reticle is a worthwhile upgrade.

It's a good scope.

Agreed.

The 2-7x33 has been significantly upgraded twice since your scope was made. The current model has much better glass. I prefer it over the 2.5-8x36, and the LRD over the B&C....
I have an old (late 80's-early 90's???) Leupold vx-2 2-7x33 and was looking at the newer vx-3i's either in 2.5-8x36 or 3.5-10x40. I like the 2-7's low weight (9.9 oz), but these newer scopes are only slightly heavier (11.5 and 12.5 oz)

thanks in advance

You don't have a VX-2, you have a Vari-X II. A VX-2 copy of your scope would have much better lens coatings.
I'd take the VX2 2-7x33 with LRD over the VX3 2.5-8x36 with B&C all day, every day. I've had both.

The 2.5-8x36 B&C went down the road.

In fact, while I still currently have 2 qty 2.5-8x36's with CDS's, I have a 2-7x33 LRD on order for a project.
fwiw, I think the new ones handle glare, flare and all that significantly better, as well as low light

may be imagining it, but the reticles appear bolder as well

ditto, the LRD over the B&C
you are correct it's a vari-x II (didn't realize the model nomenclature had changed- shows you how long I've been out of the scope market smile )

I'll look into the LR reticle

I'm assuming (for a price), that one could get a LR reticle on a VX-3i if you wanted?

I'll look into the LR reticle

I'm assuming (for a price), that one could get a LR reticle on a VX-3i if you wanted?

I tried to get the VH reticle in a VX2 6-18 and they wouldn't do it so I had to go with the LRD which works good too. I don't think they'll mix reticles between the VX lines, but you can ask. Just a phone call away. There are two LRD (regular/varmint) so make sure you get the one you want.

No. The only thing available would be Leupold's Custom Shop to build you one, but it's really too fine for Big Game use. More of a varmint type dot set up, and not something I'd want. I've been down this road before.

It's really bizarre to me the LRD is not available on the VX3's...
I meant LRD, didn't realize they made a LR as well smile
I have 7 or 8. I really like them. You can see way before and after legal shooting hours.
I sighted two rifles in this morning-both Remington 700s in 30-06 and 25-06 respectively. One was scoped with a Vari X-II in 3-9 and the other a Vari X-III in 3.5-10. I was amazed at how much brighter and cleared the Vari X- III was than the II. I wouldn't own a II myself after seeing this.

As for the 2.5-8, I have two and one has a B&C reticle. Easily my favorite hunting scope. I have no problems using that reticle to make first shot kills out to 450 yards with my 260AI mountain rifle. Beyond 450 I like to twist knobs. Maybe the newest II or 2 whatever they are called are good, the old ones pale when compared to even a III.
maybe I best take a peak at one of the new scopes smile
mtwarden, your old scope is fine, but believe me in lower light conditions , when game is most active were I live the newer leupolds are definitely better because of the coatings. The click adjustments are nice too but leupolds are still sometimes troublesome trying to get sighted in..
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I sighted two rifles in this morning-both Remington 700s in 30-06 and 25-06 respectively. One was scoped with a Vari X-II in 3-9 and the other a Vari X-III in 3.5-10. I was amazed at how much brighter and cleared the Vari X- III was than the II. I wouldn't own a II myself after seeing this.

As for the 2.5-8, I have two and one has a B&C reticle. Easily my favorite hunting scope. I have no problems using that reticle to make first shot kills out to 450 yards with my 260AI mountain rifle. Beyond 450 I like to twist knobs. Maybe the newest II or 2 whatever they are called are good, the old ones pale when compared to even a III.

Assuming that the scopes you looked through were indeed the "Vari-X" line, the older III became the VX-II and is now the current VX-1 due to trickle down technology. I have a VX-II 3-9x50, VX-1 2-7x33, and Mark AR 3-9x40 (which is said to be the new VX-2 glass, or the best of all three), and I can't see much difference between them.
I'll have to see if any of my buddies have either the newest VX-2 or 3i and do a side by side comparo in dim light; if there is a noticeable improvement I would certainly consider upgrading smile
Each person's eyes are different. I prefer the new optics, and after using good binoculars or spotting scope, I want the rifle scope to have good optics so I continue looking at the same animal if there are several moving around.
Yes if you choose illuminated reticle. Otherwise not.
Some time back I talked to my nephew who had bought a VX2. I told him how great I thought they were and he made a wise choice. Two weeks ago we went out at dusk and I gave him my rifle- VX3- with the B and C Brad hates so much :-) to check out some deer. We had not discussed scopes so it wan't on our minds but his instant response was holy crap this thing is insane. Meaning super bright. So at least for his not quite 30 year old eyes there was a noticeable difference.

If I had a 2- I likely would want a 3. Good thing is they are very much in demand and you could sell the 2 to help fund a 3 if so inclined.

I always have an optics itch though. YMMV
mine might be an even more noticeable difference, as mine is a VX-II (I mistakenly stated VX-2 not realizing there were newer models yet)
© 24hourcampfire