Home
Posted By: oldguns Leupold VX-6 HD - 02/20/17
Has anyone had a chance to look through/handle/fondle a Leupold VX-6 HD scope. Cabelas had some in stock. THANKS
Posted By: Mjduct Re: Leupold VX-6 HD - 02/20/17
I was so smitten by the non HD models on closeout, bought too many I don't think I'll be trying the new ones for a while.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Leupold VX-6 HD - 02/20/17
I've bought a couple too.
Posted By: Bwana_1 Re: Leupold VX-6 HD - 02/20/17
The HD's are MSRP at 2k
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Leupold VX-6 HD - 02/20/17
Originally Posted by Bwana_1
The HD's are MSRP at 2k

That price point isn't gonna help them sell scopes.

IMO.

DF
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: Leupold VX-6 HD - 02/20/17
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
The HD's are MSRP at 2k

IMO.

DF

If they were as dependable as a NF it might.......
The HD's are MSRP at 2k

IMO.

DF

I agree, stepping into alpha level pricing isn't their niche' in the market..nobody is spending 2k without taking a serious look at the competition.

I'm about to buy a std VX-6 right now, but the HD is out of the build budget.
Don't miss out on the VX-6 closeouts.

May never again see that much scope at such a price.

I agree at $2K, a lot of competition, S&B, Victory, NF, etc.

VX-6 is a great scope below $1K, gets lost in the crowd at $2K.

DF
I'm dancing between a VX-6 2-12x42 & SVH 4-14x50, but the shooters seem to like the Leupy better...I wanted to stick at 42-44mm
Posted By: warpig602 Re: Leupold VX-6 HD - 02/20/17
Who pays MSRP?
Nobody - %20/25
Originally Posted by warpig602
Who pays MSRP?

I see some Alpha Euros now being discounted.

So, if the VX-6HD is rolled out at $2K MSRP, discounted prices will still be in contention with discounted top Euro glass. That will probably change the dynamic, could negate a VX-6 advantage.

We'll see how that plays out.

DF
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Leupold VX-6 HD - 02/20/17
After using a 2-12 VX6 duplex for almost 3 years now, I'm one of the dolts that still believes it to be one of the finest hunting scopes made. Lot's to like about it IMO.
Posted By: Ringman Re: Leupold VX-6 HD - 02/20/17

DF

From my side by side comparison you can get this much scope for less if you buy a Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50. Everyone here who looked through them preferred the glass in the 6500 over the VX-6 4-24X52. Neither had the advantage in low light on deer antlers. Also the 6500 is two ounces lighter. The plex can be had about $700, the mil dot and the 600 DOA under $800.
Originally Posted by JGRaider
After using a 2-12 VX6 duplex for almost 3 years now, I'm one of the dolts that still believes it to be one of the finest hunting scopes made. Lot's to like about it IMO.

I'm glad to hear that, but don't remember much VX6 bashing in my research...maybe I'd better look again huh ?
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: Leupold VX-6 HD - 02/20/17
Originally Posted by JGRaider

JG, I too really like mine and mine sits on my 270 win and I don't shoot much LR with this particular rifle so I'm happy with this application and is my favorite Leupold, but if I'm going to be twisting turrets I will choose something different!
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Leupold VX-6 HD - 02/20/17
Can't argue with you there Ackley. I don't twist much either with that rifle and VX6.
Originally Posted by Ringman

DF

From my side by side comparison you can get this much scope for less if you buy a Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50. Everyone here who looked through them preferred the glass in the 6500 over the VX-6 4-24X52. Neither had the advantage in low light on deer antlers. Also the 6500 is two ounces lighter. The plex can be had about $700, the mil dot and the 600 DOA under $800.

I had a 6500 2.5-16x42. It was good, glass about the level of a VX-3, IMO. Never examined a 6500 4.5-30x50.

My 6500 had a limited eyebox compared to the VX-6, even tighter at higher power, tended to run out of light beyond 12X in late evening. The duplex was OK. ER was adequate.

I sold it. To me the VX-6 is a superior scope, glass, eyebox, low light ability, ER, duplex, etc. I have two VX-6 2-12x42's, probably need to pick up another with these closeout prices. When they're gone, they're gone. And we hear about a $2K price point with the new HD version.

DF
Posted By: oldguns Re: Leupold VX-6 HD - 02/20/17
Cabelas is selling a Leupold VX-6 HD 2-12x42 Fire Dot Duplex reticle for $1399.99. Not exactly a steal but NOT 2k!! and not in the ALPHA class scopes. I agree there are deals for the older models that make sense to grab up.
Anyone used/tried the Boone & Crockett reticle ?
Dirtfarmer,

After my fantastic experience with the Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50 I purchased one of the 2 1/2-16X42. I was disappointed and returned it. I tried three more times and either sold them or returned them. They are definitely below their big brother.

Bwana_1,

I had the Boone and Crockett on mine. It had a lot going on in there. That reticle is definitely better in low light than the plex in my 6500.
Thanks Ringman,
So you liked it or too busy of a sight picture ? It's mainly for hunting deer/varmint & light bench work for me.

Edit: (a)I was hoping to use hold over, instead of dialing for hunting(max 300-400 yds)...the guys using the B/C seemed to like it.

(b)I'm an idiot for just realizing that I can use an illuminated reticle in my state...so maybe Firedot bullet drop ?
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: Leupold VX-6 HD - 02/20/17
I just got in my 2-12x42 VX-6 from Cabelas, couldn't resist the $699 deal. It has the zero lock CDS and I have to admit I really like that, the zero lock makes a lot of sense. There's definitely no moving it by accident. I hope it's a feature that shows up on more turrets in the future.
Cabelas had the new VX-6 HD's..retail $1399-$1999.
Posted By: FishN4Eyes Re: Leupold VX-6 HD - 02/20/17
Originally Posted by Mjduct
I was so smitten by the non HD models on closeout, bought too many I don't think I'll be trying the new ones for a while.

I'm guilty of that as well....

There were (and probably still are) some incredible deals on the non-HD models.

Bwana_1,

I think I liked it. It's been a couple years since I used it. I much prefer the crystal clear 30X of the Bushnells. I heard of folks whose scopes get blurry above 25X. My first one did. I returned it for a refund. Since then the three I bought have been just what the engineer had in mind.

Don't confuse the 4 1/2-30X50 with the 2 1/2-16X. It is not close to being as good.
Posted By: hanco Re: Leupold VX-6 HD - 02/20/17
Son in law has one. It's nice
Spoke to Leupold tech today, just need to figure out the reticle...hell guess illuminated is legal here, that changes things fast.
Posted By: Bwana_1 Re: Leupold VX-6 HD - 02/21/17
I finally made a decision, a VX-6 2-12x42 with a CDS Firedot LR Duplex seems to be the perfect for my new rig.
Posted By: jbuck Re: Leupold VX-6 HD - 02/23/17
Optics planet has the 3-18 Vx6hd's for $1,400.

That's not a bad price, but I'm over scoped and under rifled right now. I have one of the windplex zero lock vx6's and am very happy with it.
Posted By: WiFowler Re: Leupold VX-6 HD - 02/25/17

DF

This ^^^ Leopold may have screwed the pooch, and themselves dropping the VX6, and going only with HD designated models.
Posted By: ChrisAU Re: Leupold VX-6 HD - 02/25/17
Yep I think it's a big mistake to not have scopes in their highest lineup without illumination or the zero lock turrets or the cant indicator. When building a lightweight rig it all but eliminates the VX-6HD.
Although if someone gets one and doesn't want to use the throw lever, let me know! Wonder if Leupold CS would sell me one by itself for my VX-6's?
Posted By: Bwana_1 Re: Leupold VX-6 HD - 02/25/17
Originally Posted by jbuck

That's not a bad price, but I'm over scoped and under rifled right now. I have one of the windplex zero lock vx6's and am very happy with it.

I got the VX-6 2-12x42 with a CDS Firedot LR Duplex for $799 shipped to my door, I know the Firedot is an up-charge but not sure how much...so a good deal in my book.
Posted By: JohnBurns Re: Leupold VX-6 HD - 02/25/17
Originally Posted by WiFowler

DF

This ^^^ Leopold may have screwed the pooch, and themselves dropping the VX6, and going only with HD designated models.

They have a plan. grin

The VX-6 HD is to compete with the Kraut Alpha glass.

Something else is coming to fill the hole in the lineup.
Posted By: markhammett Re: Leupold VX-6 HD - 02/25/17
Hope you are right
Posted By: tkinak Re: Leupold VX-6 HD - 02/25/17
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

DF

They have a plan. grin

Any votes? VX-4 or VX-5 smile

I do really like my VX-6's but can't see myself forking out double for an HD.
A 4-20x40 VX-5 with a 1" tube, side focus, CDS, no fancy schmancy illumination or zero lock or cant indicator...$700ish? Hhhhnnnngggggggg
Posted By: Journeyman Re: Leupold VX-6 HD - 02/25/17
Originally Posted by jbuck

I got the VX-6 2-12x42 with a CDS Firedot LR Duplex for $799 shipped to my door, I know the Firedot is an up-charge but not sure how much...so a good deal in my book.

Set it and forget it...if you try to "use" the CDS or twist in any other way it will puke...BTDT...MORE THAN ONCE...!!!
Posted By: WiFowler Re: Leupold VX-6 HD - 02/26/17
Originally Posted by tkinak

DF

They have a plan. grin

I do really like my VX-6's but ctan't see myself forking out double for an HD.

VX5 gets my vote.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Leupold VX-6 HD - 02/26/17
Originally Posted by tkinak

DF

They have a plan. grin

I do really like my VX-6's but ctan't see myself forking out double for an HD.

VX5 gets my vote.

I remember the VX-7 that went no where, so who knows.

Leupold will find a way to have the most confusing model line up in the industry. They have a good start on that, already.

DF
Posted By: Bayside_Tigers Re: Leupold VX-6 HD - 02/26/17
Picked up a non-HD 2-12 on closeout...have yet to look through the HD version but really pleased with what I've got at half the price
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Leupold VX-6 HD - 02/27/17
HD version may be better, but no way can it be twice as good as the one you got. And, it'll cost twice as much.

Don't miss out on this closeout. I think this is a better deal than the Zeiss Conquest close out below $300. I got a couple of those around $265-275.

I see non-illuminated VX-6's as low as $650. Check Ebay.

The VX-6 Duplex is so good, you really don't need the Firedot, although it's nice to have. Those are running closer to $800.

DF
Posted By: JohnBurns Re: Leupold VX-6 HD - 02/27/17
The closeout prices are a tremendous value on the VX-6s.

The VX-6 HD is $300 plus or minus more than standard VX-6 before the discounts for closing out.

For that you get upgraded glass, upgraded erector system, illuminated reticle, cat tail, and better looking reticle vs the Firedot reticles.
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: Leupold VX-6 HD - 02/27/17

The VX-6 HD is $300 plus or minus more than standard VX-6 before the discounts for closing out.

For that you get upgraded glass, upgraded erector system, illuminated reticle, cat tail, and better looking reticle vs the Firedot reticles.

John what did Leupold do to upgrade the erector system?

Posted By: koshkin Re: Leupold VX-6 HD - 02/27/17
I am looking at the VX-6HD 3-18x44. I only received it last week, so it is still early, but I am pretty impressed so far. Nice package, good glass and very well engineered turrets.
Initial tracking tests are looking good.

The one I have has the Impact 29 reticle, which is pretty useful for longer distances as long as you keep track of the magnification (SFP scope).

ILya
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Leupold VX-6 HD - 02/27/17
Originally Posted by koshkin
I am looking at the VX-6HD 3-18x44. I only received it last week, so it is still early, but I am pretty impressed so far. Nice package, good glass and very well engineered turrets.

The one I have has the Impact 29 reticle, which is pretty useful for longer distances as long as you keep track of the magnification (SFP scope).

ILya

How much better is HD glass vs pre-HD VX-6 glass?

DF
Posted By: ChrisAU Re: Leupold VX-6 HD - 02/27/17

I'd like to know how much better they are though, I will be getting a 2-12x42 this year for a new rifle, can't decide on VX-6 vs VX-6HD. It is also worth noting the HD's include alumina caps, which I consider essential. They are about $110 purchased separately.
Posted By: oldguns Re: Leupold VX-6 HD - 02/28/17
Ilya..thank you for your early evaluation of the VX-6 "HD". Please post again as you evaluate it more thoroughly.
Posted By: koshkin Re: Leupold VX-6 HD - 02/28/17
Originally Posted by koshkin

ILya

How much better is HD glass vs pre-HD VX-6 glass?

DF

Hard to say for sure at this stage. The CA is better controlled, but if you are looking for something with a day and night difference, I do not think this is going to be it. It is better though.

The turret design, however, is one of my favourite ones to date from Leupold. They are low with a good click feel and they lock at zero. There is a tactile indicator that tells me whether I am on a first or second rotation. Honestly, if they made a FFP version of this scope and kept it under $2k, they would absolutely own the precision AR market.

As is, it is really designed to appeal to people who are willing to take fairly long shots, but do not want to drag a large scope with them. That's why there is an electronic level built-in and that is why the turrets are designed the way they are.

So far, I like it a lot and unless it craps out on me, I will likely buy it from Leupold.

ILya
Posted By: koshkin Re: Leupold VX-6 HD - 04/03/17
Just to follow-up a bit: I am taking my sweet time with this scope, so there is more to do.

However, I like it and like it a lot. Optically, it is not a significant improvement over the VX-6, but the contrast is a little better. Resolution is about the same. Flare control is as good or a little better. I will do a more detailed comparison with some other companies' designs a little later. The two that I have on hand are Vortex Razor HD LH 3-15x42 and Docter V6 2-12x50. I have some higher end tactical scopes on hand, but I do not think the VX6HD was designed to go up against them. For what it worth, Tangent Theta TT315M and Minox ZP5 3-15x50 are significantly better, but then again, they are $3k.

I am about to start looking at the optics in ernest shortly, but so far, I have really been exercising the turrets. They are consistent and seem accurate to within my ability to shoot. I will also work them out off the rifle as I go along.

ILya
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: Leupold VX-6 HD - 04/03/17
Posted By: OutdoorAg Re: Leupold VX-6 HD - 04/03/17
A drunk orangutan could get a reticle straight to within 5 degrees

If you can get video of one trying, I'd love to see it.
Posted By: kingston Re: Leupold VX-6 HD - 04/03/17
Originally Posted by OutdoorAg
A drunk orangutan could get a reticle straight to within 5 degrees

If you can get video of one trying, I'd love to see it.

I'm not ready to buy into the integrated or aftermarket optic level.
Posted By: koshkin Re: Leupold VX-6 HD - 04/03/17
The integrated level can be turned off if you do not need it. For longer shots, it is a nice thing to have.

ILya
Posted By: oldguns Re: Leupold VX-6 HD - 04/04/17
Ilya..thanks for post
Posted By: ChrisAU Re: Leupold VX-6 HD - 04/04/17
Got my 3-18x44 firedot in today. The zero lock turrets are awesome and my hopes were realized, the clicks are MUCH more positive than the original VX-6's. They've also addressed the issue of the gold emblems falling off the alumina caps (I've had that happen twice) by the new ones simply having them printed on. The glass is superb. I was able to turn the parallax down and read the words on the binders of magazines (field and streams and such) at 3-4x from 10 ft away sitting on my living room couch. Two negatives that I've already rattled off an email to Leupold CS about: 1) The throw lever was not in the box even though the install wrench was and 2) The manual says the alumina caps were installed but not tightened at the factory to allow adjustment of the eyepiece focus. Mine was put on by a gorrilla. I had to put a blanket over the hinge of the eyepiece cover and simultaneously maintain a strong grip on the slim eyepiece focus and tap the hinge pretty good a few times to get it loose so I could set it properly.
Posted By: ChrisAU Re: Leupold VX-6 HD - 04/06/17
So, I did have a VX3-L and a VX-6 at the same time and the glass improvement while noticeable between the two was marginal. At dusk tonight I compared a 3.5-10x40 VX-3i to the VX-6HD and the HD blew it away. The resolution at the same powers was not even close. Just wanted to add this for anyone looking for info, it's scarce right now. I'll be curious to see where the VX-5HD falls in that spectrum. I still think a VX-3i is incredible bang for the buck, considering I paid $315 for the 3.5-10x40 new it is wonderful.
Posted By: Jeffpg Re: Leupold VX-6 HD - 07/11/17
I am in the market for the VX-6 in a 3-18x44 if anyone knows of one that's available.

thanks,
Jeff
© 24hourcampfire