Home
Posted By: broomd Leica is listening. - 02/23/17
Just got off the phone with Mark in service at Leica, I needed a televid zoom twist-up eyecup. Quick phone pickup and right to the issue. Parts are on the way, gratis.

Nice to see Leica really making strides with service. I've never had an issue, but I know others have.
My last two service issues were minor but Leica gets an A+ for diligence.
Posted By: PaleRider Re: Leica is listening. - 02/23/17
Hope they continue on that track.
They make great equipment but have always had poor customer service for the most part.

Good news has always been that their stuff doesn't fail very often............
Posted By: broomd Re: Leica is listening. - 02/23/17
Agreed, pretty solid glass.

Just got a call from Leica. They asked that I actually send in this zoom e/p, the ball bearing/sleeve assembly is tricky to install in their opinion and they want it 100% right. They use a small spanner.
They also mentioned cleaning, inspecting and lubricating the eyepiece while they have it.
I'll send this in tomorrow and will post the overall experience.

We know that Swarvoski has set an incredible bar for service, but nice to see Leica interacting on behalf of the consumer.
Their glass has always been stellar.
Posted By: PaleRider Re: Leica is listening. - 02/23/17
I've always had good luck with Leica products, and as you mentioned it is stellar glass.
Some of their binoculars are as good as anything I've ever used, and I've had all of the alpha brands.
Still have an older set of 12x50s that are exceptional and a pair of 8-12 duovids. Only complaint is how heavy they are, but I guess that's why they are built like a tank.

Swarovski does have exceptional customer service, but truth be told, I've had to use it pretty often on riflescope issues ; great glass, but not so much on everything else on those scopes as far as durability goes IME.
Spotting scopes and binoculars have been great though.
Posted By: joelbiltz Re: Leica is listening. - 02/25/17
Well I have sent three emails to leica service to try and get a pair of 8x42 Trinovid refurbished in the last month and not one has been answered. Still not consistent service.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Leica is listening. - 02/25/17
Not so much for this guy.....

https://www.africahunting.com/threads/leica-geovid-hd-b-10x42-range-finding-binoculars.21363/
Posted By: SKane Re: Leica is listening. - 02/25/17
Ouch.

Thanks for the link. I also got my answer (from the supplied link) to a recent inquiry to Doug regarding the ER5 1.5x8 scope - the scope that was announced in late 2015. eek

Posted By: gunut Re: Leica is listening. - 02/25/17
Originally Posted by joelbiltz
Well I have sent three emails to leica service to try and get a pair of 8x42 Trinovid refurbished in the last month and not one has been answered. Still not consistent service.

If you are talking about the 70/80s era Trinovids....I don't think they work on them any more....Give Company Seven a call about a refurb
Posted By: Journeyman Re: Leica is listening. - 02/25/17
Originally Posted by broomd
Just got off the phone with Mark in service at Leica, I needed a televid zoom twist-up eyecup. Quick phone pickup and right to the issue. Parts are on the way, gratis.

Nice to see Leica really making strides with service. I've never had an issue, but I know others have.
My last two service issues were minor but Leica gets an A+ for diligence.

After Leupold, Leica has consistently provided the best customer service in our experience. Zeiss SUCKS, Swaro is adequate...

Leica absolutely lives to their contractual agreement...and I'm fine with that. We started with Leica and Zeiss in the 1980's becuse of rep. Leica instituted their Passport warranty which was the BEST IN THE BUSINESS, and one of the reasons we gravitated to them, other than a view that suited the hunter more than any. and after owning seven of their binoculars, and two spotting scopes have needed service on ONE of the binos - and it was fixed at no cost, no questions asked after 12 years...

Curious as to the ACTUAL EXPERIENCE with Leica of the negative posters...did they not live up to their CONTRACTUAL obligations?
Posted By: broomd Re: Leica is listening. - 02/25/17

Call them, Joel.

I tried calling them last year with an issue, and getting through to them was tough. The other times over the years things went smoothly and quickly.

As was mentioned, Company 7 is pretty good about communication/service, but there may be cost involved. That may be the case with either entity.
Posted By: handwerk Re: Leica is listening. - 02/26/17
I had some geovid questions for them a couple weeks ago so I emailed looking for tech support.
The next day I was CC'd on an email from a supervisor to a tech guy asking him to answer my questions, which he did within a couple hours. I followed up with a couple more questions 2 days in row...all were answered the same day.
A pleasant experience for sure.
Posted By: kingston Re: Leica is listening. - 02/26/17

My favorite line from that thread, "I'm a customer of a $3200 pair of binoculars, not the Leica Management Life Coach."

Originally Posted by Journeyman

After Leupold, Leica has consistently provided the best customer service in our experience. Zeiss SUCKS, Swaro is adequate...

Please provide a reference for the bolded pronoun.

For the record, I own a Leica ULTRAVID HD Plus binocular purchased from CLNY last Fall.
Posted By: joelbiltz Re: Leica is listening. - 02/26/17

Call them, Joel.

I tried calling them last year with an issue, and getting through to them was tough. The other times over the years things went smoothly and quickly.

As was mentioned, Company 7 is pretty good about communication/service, but there may be cost involved. That may be the case with either entity.

Thanks Frank. I will try to give them a call.
Posted By: Greenback Re: Leica is listening. - 02/26/17
Just spoke with them Friday about some new objective covers for my Geovids. Very polite and sending them my way at no charge.
Posted By: czech1022 Re: Leica is listening. - 02/26/17
I understand Leica's warranty only covers the original purchaser, with the receipt in his hand, for a stated number of years.

Is that right?

If so, they're not listening to EVERYTHING we want!
Posted By: cdb Re: Leica is listening. - 02/27/17

Call them, Joel.

Thanks Frank. I will try to give them a call.

This. I always call, never Email. Even Leupold has failed to answer Emails I sent them in the past.
Posted By: wesheltonj Re: Leica is listening. - 02/27/17
Originally Posted by czech1022
I understand Leica's warranty only covers the original purchaser, with the receipt in his hand, for a stated number of years.

Is that right?

So, what you want is their lifetime warranty transferable to second hand purchasers?
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Leica is listening. - 02/27/17
Originally Posted by wesheltonj
Originally Posted by czech1022

Is that right?

So, what you want is their lifetime warranty transferable to second hand purchasers?

Leica needs to get a clue and get in step with their primary "alpha" competition. Nobody else commands premium prices with such a schitttty warranty. It's a shame because they have good products.
Posted By: Boise Re: Leica is listening. - 02/27/17
Too late, after wanting $800 to replace my occular lens and charging me $40 for a lens cap they have forever lost any hope of future sales. Worse ever after sale support. I own three of their pieces.
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: Leica is listening. - 02/27/17
Originally Posted by Boise
Too late, after wanting $800 to replace my occular lens and charging me $40 for a lens cap they have forever lost any hope of future sales. Worse ever after sale support. I own three of their pieces.

The reports of crap CS does make a difference to me. If not for such I would have bought one of their ERi rifle scopes long ago.
Posted By: WRO Re: Leica is listening. - 02/27/17
My buddy who is a dealer has been waiting 10 months for his geovids to get repaired under warranty.
Posted By: broomd Re: Leica is listening. - 02/27/17

Boise, what's the backstory here?
What optic needed the ocular? Was it damaged, or was it failure? What needed the cap?
When did this happen? Who did you speak with at Leica?

I'm not questioning your word here, I'd just like to know the details.

Posted By: Boise Re: Leica is listening. - 02/27/17

Boise, what's the backstory here?
What optic needed the ocular? Was it damaged, or was it failure? What needed the cap?
When did this happen? Who did you speak with at Leica?

I'm not questioning your word here, I'd just like to know the details.

Took awhile finding it, here's the whole story:
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/7611188/1
Posted By: broomd Re: Leica is listening. - 02/27/17
Thanks for posting. I remember that thread now.

I got an eyecup assbly in the mail today from Leica--it took one business day to get it. That is impressive. Although I'll send it back as they have my ocular now. The parts/service guy probably didn't talk to the phone/warranty guy I spoke with concerning my ocular.

Hopefully we'll see some consistency with these guys in 2017. Their service/warranty dept. is what's keeping them from real greatness with these forums.
Posted By: broomd Re: Leica is listening. - 03/01/17
Couple of follow-ups here...
I emailed Leica to inform that I had forgotten to write "atten: Repair" on the box.
Mark emailed back immediately and assured of a smooth repair. He asked if I had included repair instructions inside the box and I assured him that I had.

I got a phone call this morning from Sarah at Leica, she wanted to confirm my email which I had included.

Shortly thereafter I received an email from Leica service letting me know that my zoom ocular is in now in their repair facility.
So far, 100% diligence and real time updates....

Posted By: specneeds Re: Leica is listening. - 03/02/17
My new pup grabbed the crf 1000r rangefinder that I left on the coffee table and chewed off the ocular lens cap as well as some of the FHF gear cover it was in on January 1st. I wrote exactly what happened on the form and enclosed letter. It still functioned but no cap. So I expected a small repair bill.

Instead the sent me a brand new 1600r rangefinder in the box at no charge. That was in less than 3 weeks total by the way. To me that is the best customer experience I've ever had from any company. I'm not that mad at the little ridgeback bitch ....been wondering what optics I should leave in her reach next.

I'll go with Leica products now without a 2nd thought based on my recent experience.
Posted By: ghostrider272 Re: Leica is listening. - 03/02/17
Glad to hear that Leica is turning things around. I have several scopes and while they are fantastic, I have been hesitant if there have been any issues.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Leica is listening. - 03/02/17
Yesterday's edition of Fieldsports Britain on YouTube has a visit to the Leica factory. Watch it to see where all your money goes when you buy their stuff.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Leica is listening. - 03/02/17
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Yesterday's edition of Fieldsports Britain on YouTube has a visit to the Leica factory. Watch it to see where all your money goes when you buy their stuff.

MOst likely they filmed the factory in Germany not Portugal.
fwiw,
I've been there and done that with Leica Customer Service... The ONLY reason I did not turn into another pissed off customer was Doug from Cameraland and keep in mind I had not bought the first thing from him... The other CLOWN would not pick up the phone. My ULTIMATE PASSPORT Warranty equated to 4 months to get the focus mechanism in my then brand new Ultravid 8x42 BL fixed and dropped back in the mail. Happened right before season and they made sure to note they cared NOT... One call from Doug had the Vice President of Leica Sports Optics calling my cell phone 30 minutes later to apologize for the "bungled" repair experience. The fixed and cleaned binocular arrived the NEXT MORNING at 9:15 AM via FEDEX... Thank you once again DOUG! Without him I would have been just another pissed Leica Customer and that was my SIXTH Leica Binocular at that point.

They had me as a customer for life in a lock until I got them on the phone. That has been ten years ago and they were "trying to turn things around" THEN... I'm not holding my breath that this is genuinely from the heart...

Regards, Matt.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Leica is listening. - 03/03/17
Doug and Neil would be the only people would buy a Leica anything.
© 24hourcampfire