Home
Posted By: powdr Opinions on second tier scopes - 03/16/17
I've got a couple of Mauser builds coming in next week. Just some truck guns...nothing fancy. I want to scope them w/what I call second tier scopes. The only 3 I'm considering are the Burris FFII, the Redfield Revolution and the VX1, all in 3-9. I would like the duplex in all. I've found they can be had for about the same amount of money...used. The Grand Poobah has already cast his vote. If you want to comment about finding a deer lease or some other cordial remark...please move on. powdr
The $199 3-9x40 VX1 scopes are decent scopes for the money. Just sight them in and leave them alone and they'll do fine.
Powdr: I will move on to this - Leupold is the direct answer to your inquiry!
Fine Du-Plex works best for my uses.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Burris FFII is a good scope, so are the Sightron's. Nothing wrong with a Leupold. I will often buy a 1st tier scope used, at a much better price than new, nothing wrong with that..
I just mounted a 2-7x35 FFII on a new .223 truck/side by side gun.

A little touchy eyebox but should work fine for what I want out of it.
Yeah smithrjd, that's what I'm trying to do but only w/a second tier scope instead of buying first tier new. Really can't afford a first tier even used right now. Keep the ideas coming boys. I will be hunting deer w/the scope but I killed quite a few w/an old 1970 Leupold 4x w/one minute dot so I know the most expensive is not needed. powdr
My vote goes to the VX-1. Last year, I successfully hunted an Eland, Kudu, Oryx, Red Hartebeest, and two Warthogs using this exact scope. Given the headaches associated with travel and guns these days, I chose to use the outfitter's 30-06 in Namibia and this is what he had mounted. To say the rifle and scope had seen better days would be an understatement. The rifle had "character" and the scope's magnification adjustment had been rusted into place. The whole works just flat out shot though and I only needed a second shot on one animal, which was not the rifle's fault.

I know you are looking at the three options mentioned above but I would also submit the Weaver K 6x38 for consideration.
Keep yur peepers on the classified. Occasionally some little bit better glass comes up for around 2 bills. Otherwise, I would vote for the leupy vx1 just because I've been a happy customer for the past 16 years.
Of the three you mentioned I would get the one you like best and or the best deal. All three of the scopes you have mentioned I i have or my friend has and all have provided good service and decent optics, and I would gladly hunt with all.
Thanks Guys. powdr
Friend Powdr, All you need is a scope that holds a zero and is useable in the amount of light available. Anything else is extra. wink
I have both the Redfield and Burris.

I like the Redfield better. Easier to see through the darn thing. Adjustments are easier too.

I cant grab the turret on the Burris hard enough to get it to turn, have to use a coin.
Guys, the reason I'm asking is because I've always bought the best I can but just can't do it anymore. I have a S&B 3-12x42 on my main rifle, a VX3 3.5-10X40, a Conquest 1.8-5.5 and an older Burris Signature Safari 6x40. Just looking for dependable glass on some of my last builds. Just don't have any experience w/second tier scopes. Thanks again Guys, powdr
Optically, they are very close, but since hogs inhabit your area and provide a dark target and often in poor lighting, I'd go for the Redfield Revolution. Unless specs have changed since I last checked, its reticle is slightly bolder than the other two and thus should show up a tad better in poor lighting conditions.
I have used all and any would serve your purpose. I am sure they are fine, but I just don't trust the newer Burris as much as I did the old USA made ones. They have a little less forgiving eye relief than the Redfield or Leupold also. I would keep an eye out in the classifieds here and pounce on whichever came up first.
NIB VX-1 3-9x40's (113874) can be found in the $170 range if you shop around.
Posted By: cdb Re: Opinions on second tier scopes - 03/17/17
As a rule I prefer Leupold, but between those three I like the Fullfield II best. I see better through them.
Very happy with the vx1 3-9 I mounted on my son's m70 '06. Looking side by side with a new vx3i it appears that the low-e window I'm looking through combined with my less than perfect eyes has more effect than the difference between these 2 scopes. Add a few water stains on the lenses (my scopes seem to always have this when I hunt) and I don't think I could tell honestly.
Originally Posted by SamOlson

I tried one of those Sammo, cause I love their FFII 3x9

You are right about the eye box. Eye relief sucked so bad it came off the gun and went down the road in record time..

But you know it might have been my coke bottle glasses and the need to mount the scope Jeff O style....

so if your eyes are normal..it may pan out well for you.

Otherwise Ive had great luck with the2x7 Redfield Revolution.
As all-around glass, the Leupold VX1 scopes can't be beat. Of those you mention, that's where I'd go... think USA/Warranty/LRD Reticle/Glass/Aesthetics.
I'd find a used or NOS 3-9x40 Conquest, myself.
Hell Jeff, people want more for those than when they were new. powdr
Originally Posted by ingwe

I tried one of those Sammo, cause I love their FFII 3x9

You are right about the eye box. Eye relief sucked so bad it came off the gun and went down the road in record time..

But you know it might have been my coke bottle glasses and the need to mount the scope Jeff O style....

so if your eyes are normal..it may pan out well for you.

Otherwise Ive had great luck with the2x7 Redfield Revolution.

Poobs, I'm the opposite. Sometimes scopes have too much eye relief...

One other weird thing about the FFII, rather than a normal power ring selector the entire ocular housing rotates when you adjust magnification.

One other weird thing about the FFII, rather than a normal power ring selector the entire ocular housing rotates when you adjust magnification.

I noticed that too..it can be a PITA

I'm a huge fan of the older American made FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex reticle, but couldn't get used to the 2-7x. The eyebox and eye relief was not real forgiving, as compared to the 3-9x40. I ended up sending that scope down the road and continue to use the 3-9x40. I've had nothing but good luck with those.
Originally Posted by powdr
Guys, the reason I'm asking is because I've always bought the best I can but just can't do it anymore. I have a S&B 3-12x42 on my main rifle, a VX3 3.5-10X40, a Conquest 1.8-5.5 and an older Burris Signature Safari 6x40. Just looking for dependable glass on some of my last builds. Just don't have any experience w/second tier scopes. Thanks again Guys, powdr

Don't laugh, but you may want to consider the Zeiss terra 3-9x42 with RZ6 reticle. I've been using those for a while now and they are damn good for the price point. While they are not a Conquest, by any means, they are still a damn good scope.. You may want to add that to your list as well.. Good luck with your search buddy...
I picked up a newer brand instead of some of the second tier scopes mentioned. Looking for tough and naturally less money.

I bought a Hawke scope. So far I'm very happy with it. I haven't really put it through the paces yet but the eye box and field of are good and the optics are very nice.

Hawke makes some really tough air gun scopes so I'm hoping that reliability is built into their other scopes as well.

Dan
I don't know if you have ever considered fixed power scopes but, I recently installed a SWFA SS 10x42 with 30mm tube on my 7mm-08. For the price (under $300), the optics and build quality are impressive. I have several Leupold VX II's (great scopes) along with a Burris FF e1, a Nikon and others. The SWFA compares nicely with these scopes. It is my only fixed power scope and probably won't be the last. Tracking is spot-on and the reticle (MOA Quad) is perfect for hunting or shooting at longer range. These scopes are built like a tank and reviews indicate that they can take some abuse.
powdr, I have a USA FFII 3-9 plex and I put it on a .223 as eye relief is a bit shorter than the Leupolds that I mostly use.

The biggest bargin in my scopes is likely a $100 out the door 3-9 Redfield Revolution that I bought right after they were introduced, thinking it was an open box demo. Dealer said used, but there was no evidence of mounting. Clear, bright, and has withstood the torture on a Mini-14. Between a trigger job and the scope, I have a plenty accurate truck gun with the 580 series mini.

I have never been opposed to good used stuff.

Best wishes,

Jack
My last two Scopes have been Burris.
For the money, I am more than happy with both.

A FF II 4.5X14 on my CZ 17 HMR is bright and clear, tracks good and helps me shoot tiny groups and exacute rodents at long distance.
My son got a 10/22 for Christmas, and I said I would scope it for him.
We researched scopes in a price range, went to web sites and watched viedos.
He choose a Burris Droptine 2X7.
The thing is amazingly brite and clear for a $140 scope, it tracks good and was a breeze to site in.
They seem to be well built, have a great warrentie and I think they look good.
I like the Burris FF scopes, and have found them to work good. I also have a Redfield Revolution, and a Zeiss Terra, both of which are also good scopes. I have a Sightron Big Sky scope that may be the best of the lot. I had a Leupold VX-1 that I sold because I did not like it, when compared to other scopes in that price range. The higher dollar Leupolds are another matter, as they are much better quality.
You know you didn't mention these but there were a couple of the weaver k series listed in the classifieds recently got about $100 +or - . One was a 4x the other 6x . You mentioned variables but if a fixed power is acceptable to you those would be good choices too.
Thanks s much guys, I'm a little OCD so I'm still weighing my options. powdr
Hell Jeff, people want more for those than when they were new. powdr

Didn't know that! Hmm. Not surprised; they are amazing.

Your builds sound fun. I like the whole truck gun notion. Call it a truck gun and turn off the OCD stuff where everything has to be just so... I see the merit there for sure!
Well, both of them ended up nicer than I originally had planned but there's a fine line w/me as to what is acceptable and what is not. I stuck w/the Buehler safety on both builds cause that's what I grew up with. I could have used a 2 position Win type safety but it would have added another $100 to each build which I didn't have to spend. Used a Shilen barrel on one I found for a little of nothing and a NOS Weatherby for $90 on the other. Bought a Brown Precision that needed some glass work for the first one and a sharp MPI for the 2nd that a man didn't have any use for any longer. Wanted to try and find a Borden Rimrock but my search on ended w/nothing. Had the brass and dies for one and the other I scrounged off the forum. Have a Zeiss 1.8-5.5, my favorite scope by the way, and this post hopefully will end w/a scope for the other. Thanks a million guys for all of the comments because of the 3 I've never owned any of the 3 but the FFII and sold it before ever range testing it. powdr
Here you go - this should work nicely for you.

https://www.hhsportshop.com/Weaver-Grand-Slam-Scope-800472-3-10-x-40mm-Ballist-p/800472.htm

drover
I had one of those 1.8-5.5 Conquests.... I agree, that a special scope right there.
up
Originally Posted by drover

Great Price!!

Great Scope!!
Posted By: efw Re: Opinions on second tier scopes - 03/20/17
Of those three for the prices available I'd go FFII no doubt. They've been excellent for me.

I'd add to that list the Weaver Grand Slam though. I love that Burris a lot but would put the GS against the FFII though I have become a huge fan of the BP so that'd edge out the Weaver.
I've got a couple of Mauser builds coming in next week. Just some truck guns...nothing fancy. I want to scope them w/what I call second tier scopes. The only 3 I'm considering are the Burris FFII, the Redfield Revolution and the VX1, all in 3-9. I would like the duplex in all. I've found they can be had for about the same amount of money...used. The Grand Poobah has already cast his vote. If you want to comment about finding a deer lease or some other cordial remark...please move on. powdr

Can't speak for the 3-9, but in the 2-7's my VX-1 is only a skosh behind my VX-2. I've compared them a lot in different light conditions, and as far as seeing a critter to shoot I think the VX-1 stuff is a very big bang for the buck.........

Casey
Guys, I appreciate all of the offers and suggestions but like the loony I am...I bought one of the ZV3's that Doug has on sale. powdr
Powdr. That's an attractive deal for sure. Let us know how you like it.
I have a fullfied ll love it, the eye relief is less than a loopy. but I think its a better scope (I have both)

Especially with a lens cover.

As far as a "second tier" scope goes.....I'd choose Weaver over any of the three you listed.

Now....about that Deer lease....
Can't beat a Leupold-- look hard and you can find a VX1 for $179ish

My slug gun, muzzleloader and 10/22 all wear one.
Originally Posted by Dantheman
I picked up a newer brand instead of some of the second tier scopes mentioned. Looking for tough and naturally less money.

I bought a Hawke scope. So far I'm very happy with it. I haven't really put it through the paces yet but the eye box and field of are good and the optics are very nice.

Hawke makes some really tough air gun scopes so I'm hoping that reliability is built into their other scopes as well.

Dan

Sush, the dam price will go up if you share!!!!!!

Take care, Willie
I really like the used Conquests. Optics are eye relief are hard to beat.
Some of the guys like the Tract scopes that the rep is pushing here. Hard to say how they'll hold up though
Drum, I bought a Tract last Fall.

Haven't put many rounds downrange with it so no idea on durability but optically speaking it is NICE.

Nothing second tier about the view.
Originally Posted by huntsonora
Some of the guys like the Tract scopes that the rep is pushing here. Hard to say how they'll hold up though

Got to say I have a chit load of Leupolds and other good brands and the tract was from a quality standpoint the equal from what I have seen. The reticle in a MOAMOA and they are going to be a great tool.
Originally Posted by fredIII
Originally Posted by huntsonora

Got to say I have a chit load of Leupolds and other good brands and the tract was from a quality standpoint the equal from what I have seen. The reticle in a MOAMOA and they are going to be a great tool.

And once they prove themselves to be a quality built product that stands up to abuse they might be better than second tier. Until then they're just another idea like Sig Optics or Maven, a company made up of former employees of another optics company.

Vortex has excellent customer service but I've owned a bunch of Vortex products and have had to send them in for warranty work multiple times. For the money they are fine and I know what to expect but to compare them to Swarovski or an "alpha" glass is laughable. Respect should be earned, not given due to a social media blitz. Time will tell if they are better than "second tier", until then it's the best they can do IMO
Go with the Burris Full Field II.
M8 6x42's are still hard to beat and fall in that price range.
Posted By: cdb Re: Opinions on second tier scopes - 03/30/17
A few of this forum's members have tested or purchased Tract products. Based on their reviews I'd take a Tract over any Viper any day.
Enjoyed this discussion. Currently looking for something similar. Between the FFII and the VX1. Like the BDC reticle in the FFII a little better. Leaning that way.
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

Especially with a lens cover.

As far as a "second tier" scope goes.....I'd choose Weaver over any of the three you listed.

Now....about that Deer lease....

Well it's a nice enough little scope but the entire ocular and BC cap turning is a deal breaker. I don't like that at all.

Just leave it on 7x I guess...
I think the budget Nikons are the best deal for '2nd tier' optics.
Originally Posted by efw
Of those three for the prices available I'd go FFII no doubt. They've been excellent for me.

I'd add to that list the Weaver Grand Slam though. I love that Burris a lot but would put the GS against the FFII though I have become a huge fan of the BP so that'd edge out the Weaver.

I like the Burris too BUT the Grand Slams on sale at Natchez I think are a step above and have some of the best adjustments in the business. Right now there are some crazy screaming deals on them. I do not need a scope but have to stay off that site for fear of buying one. Definitely prefer it to a VX-1 or the Redfield which aren't bad but would likely take the Burris or Nikon over those. Had some time with all of them. No real lemons in the tree. Just think the GS may be next tier at a silly price.
© 24hourcampfire