Home
Posted By: aheider Leupold VX2 4-12 AO - 04/25/17
How is the eye box on this scope? I thought I read that it wasn't good but I can't seem to find the thread I was thinking of. Opinions?

Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: Leupold VX2 4-12 AO - 04/26/17
If may not be as good as a 2-7 Leupold but I've used one during deer season and managed to kill 3 without any issues. Everything is a trade off and it's pretty good magnification for its size and weight.
Posted By: aheider Re: Leupold VX2 4-12 AO - 04/26/17
Easier to get behind than the 4.5-14?
I would say just as easy but I had them at different times,so I haven't compared them side by side.
Posted By: mathman Re: Leupold VX2 4-12 AO - 04/26/17
At any particular magnification, if the eye relief is set correctly then the eyebox is good. The problem with this model is the eye relief changes considerably with magnification. Interestingly it isn't the usual too little eye relief at high magnification issue that ails some scopes. IMO it actually has too much eye relief at low magnification.

As a result there's a nice eyebox at 4x, a good eyebox at 12x, but the eyeboxes don't overlap completely.

Hopefully I'm giving a reasonable description without overstating things.

I should add my experience is with the VX-II version, not VX-2.
Posted By: Bater Re: Leupold VX2 4-12 AO - 04/26/17
For a Leup I like the 4-12 and the eye box is more user friendly than the 4.5-14 at higher mags
Posted By: SKane Re: Leupold VX2 4-12 AO - 04/26/17
Originally Posted by hunter5325
For a Leup I like the 4-12 and the eye box is more user friendly than the 4.5-14 at higher mags

Agreed.

I will also echo what mathman stated. VXII/VX2 - same/same in that regard.
The variable eye relief doesn't really bother me.I set them to be perfect with a quick mount on the lowest power. If I have time on a shot to adjust the power,I can also adjust my cheek position. I've never used one on a heavy kicker where prone at high power might be an issue. I don't think the ER shortens enough for that to be a concern though.
Posted By: aheider Re: Leupold VX2 4-12 AO - 04/26/17
Originally Posted by mathman
At any particular magnification, if the eye relief is set correctly then the eyebox is good. The problem with this model is the eye relief changes considerably with magnification. Interestingly it isn't the usual too little eye relief at high magnification issue that ails some scopes. IMO it actually has too much eye relief at low magnification.

As a result there's a nice eyebox at 4x, a good eyebox at 12x, but the eyeboxes don't overlap completely.

Hopefully I'm giving a reasonable description without overstating things.

I should add my experience is with the VX-II version, not VX-2.

That helps. Thanks!
Posted By: AH64guy Re: Leupold VX2 4-12 AO - 04/26/17
If this is the model with the fast focus eyepiece, it was a PITA to keep it where I set it.

The AO was easy to adjust, but the eyepiece lacks the typical lock-ring of the Leupolds. I seemed to be moving it every day at some point, and chasing whether the AO was out of adjustment - or the eyepiece focus.

I though the eyebox was out of wack as well, but it was a minor one of several things I didn't like about mine.
Posted By: hogan Re: Leupold VX2 4-12 AO - 05/22/17
The 4-12x is a very old Leupold design. Unless it has been updated it only has about 46moa of total elevation range. This means something like 20moa remaining if you zero at 100yds. Not much.

People keep buying them though.
Posted By: RiverRider Re: Leupold VX2 4-12 AO - 05/22/17
Originally Posted by AH64guy
If this is the model with the fast focus eyepiece, it was a PITA to keep it where I set it.

The AO was easy to adjust, but the eyepiece lacks the typical lock-ring of the Leupolds. I seemed to be moving it every day at some point, and chasing whether the AO was out of adjustment - or the eyepiece focus.

I though the eyebox was out of wack as well, but it was a minor one of several things I didn't like about mine.

I'm with you on that. I often encounter blank stares when I express that sentiment, but I suppose everyone wants what the Europeans are selling. I'll hang on to my scopes with locking ocular.

Originally Posted by hogan
The 4-12x is a very old Leupold design. Unless it has been updated it only has about 46moa of total elevation range. This means something like 20moa remaining if you zero at 100yds. Not much.

I don't see why it's so hard for the younger set to understand that many of us have no interest in twisting turrets.
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: Leupold VX2 4-12 AO - 05/23/17
Originally Posted by AH64guy

I wouldn't know about that. Mine is an older VXII model with the lock ring.
Posted By: RiverRider Re: Leupold VX2 4-12 AO - 05/23/17
Yes, the VX-II has a lockring, the VX-2 is fast focus.
Posted By: Daveh Re: Leupold VX2 4-12 AO - 05/23/17
These with the LR duplex is one of my favorite scopes. Have several....
Posted By: donsm70 Re: Leupold VX2 4-12 AO - 05/23/17
My favorite is the 3.5-10x40, but I like the 2-12 better than the 4.5-14 models.

donsm70
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Leupold VX2 4-12 AO - 05/23/17
Originally Posted by hogan

That's because for the use most put them to, it's enough.

Mine is actually a 1-series, circa 2005, with friction adjustments and no A.O.

It's been solid so far, having been mounted on a few .308s, a .204, and now a .223. Stays dialed in. Like someone else noted, if the eye relief is set to be good at 4x, generally you'll have time to crawl the stock for longer shots at high-power.

If it turned to dust tomorrow, I'd feel like I'd gotten my money's worth, but of course Leupold would replace it.
© 24hourcampfire