Home
I have a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 that I like a lot, and a Leupold VX1 2-7x33 that I like a lot, and a Vortex Viper 3-9x40 that I don't care for. I can't get the eye relief with the Vortex that I can with the Leupold or the Zeiss... so I am looking for something that combines the best attributes of the Zeiss and the Leupold into a scope that is under the $400 price point... would like to have at least six inches of tube between the ocular bells (like the Zeiss) and the crispness of the Zeiss with the lighter weight and ocular bell diameter of the Leupie. I am thinking a Leupie FX 6x36 might answer the call, but would like to have a variable to consider as well...
VX-R and Terra are both in that vicinity.
I would go with the Meopta MeoPro special edition that Cameraland Doug has. It is the same scope as the original Zeiss Conquest and comes in around $350 on sale.
Originally Posted by TrophyGameSafaris
I would go with the Meopta MeoPro special edition that Camerland Doug has. It is the same scope as the original Zeiss Conquest and comes in around $350 on sale.

Exactly what this guy said. I have recently purchased a 3.5-10x44 and a 4-12x50 both with the 4A reticles. Both for about $350ish shipped. You wont find anything to beat them anywhere close to this price point. FYI according to Doug Meopta used to make the Conquests!
I've got the meopro, too...but I don't think it's in the window the op asked about. Could be wrong.
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
I've got the meopro, too...but I don't think it's in the window the op asked about. Could be wrong.

Yeah, I don't think it is. The closest thing I can think of that may fit the bill is the Elite 4200 in like a 3-9x40 or 2.5-10x40, except it is probably a tad heavier than what the op is looking for. Excellent rifle scopes though..
i would recomment a NF nxs .5.5 22 x 50 fr you but its not on your requested price range.
Cabelas website shows the Leupold VX-2 with CDS (custom dial system) 3-9x40 at $349.99. It has the eye relief you are looking for, clarity and better optics over the VX-1 series.

gundog
thanks for the suggestions. the VX2 3-9x40 is getting there, with tube length of 5.6" approaching the desired 6", and the weight at 11.2 oz is perfect. just wish i could get more tube length between the bells. i am scoping a Ruger Mk 2 and the Ruger rings don't give me any mounting flexibility. The Ruger is heavy as is, so the lighter scope is a plus compared to the Vortex which is mounted on it now.
Originally Posted by Dogger
thanks for the suggestions. the VX2 3-9x40 is getting there, with tube length of 5.6" approaching the desired 6", and the weight at 11.2 oz is perfect. just wish i could get more tube length between the bells. i am scoping a Ruger Mk 2 and the Ruger rings don't give me any mounting flexibility. The Ruger is heavy as is, so the lighter scope is a plus compared to the Vortex which is mounted on it now.

Maybe sacrilegious to some, but there are the rail conversions for the mark rifles to better help with mount length
Originally Posted by TRACT_Optics

Maybe sacrilegious to some, but there are the rail conversions for the mark rifles to better help with mount length

Or just buy Ruger's offset rings.
I wouldn't be concerned with weight on the Ruger. It will never be a light weight. I would scope it as necessary and just get a lighter rifle for my light weight rig.
The Leupold has the best eye relief in class, so you won't suffer tremendously even with a little less mounting room. The VX-3i in a Matte Duplex 3.5-10x40 is $399...
I am surprised noone has suggested a VX3i 3.5-10x40? It checks all your boxes. It has the 6" mounting length, small eyepiece, under $400, and better glass than the VX2.
wow, yes, the Leupie VX-3i 3.5-10x40mm is just what i am looking for. thanks.
Dogger

Are you scoping a short or long action?
I just picked up a Leupold VX3i 3.5-10x40 for a Boat Paddle Ruger MKII in 243.
I was looking at a 4-12x40 ,but happened on the 3.5-10 at a local shop for $359.00 and snagged it.
I think it will be plenty scope for the 243.
wow, yes, the Leupie VX-3i 3.5-10x40mm is just what i am looking for. thanks.

Amazon has them for $310!
I saw that scope on Amazon.
I steered clear as it says it`s imported in the description:(

https://www.amazon.com/Leupold-VX-3...=1494702055&sr=8-1&keywords=vx3i
I haven't bought one but the reviews say it was made in the usa. Fwiw, Leupold said their scopes that have been counterfeited have been the Mark series. There's plenty within a few bucks of that one on eBay.
If you like the Conquest then you'll likely love the Meopta. The Conquest was made by Meopta. The VX-2 would be in 2nd place and probably the best value. The Meopta or Conquest has better glass, but the Leupold has some advantages too. If I were thinking about VX-3, I'd come up with the extra money for the Meopta.
cant find any specs on the Meopta on the length of tube between the bells. looking for a least 6"
Well.... you don't want TOO MUCH, do ya???

Can't help with the weight, but for $369 there's the Athlon Argos BTR 6-24x, or the 4-14 Talos BTR for $299. These are 30mm tube with plenty of mounting surface front & rear of the turrets. You get Illum FFP hashtag reticle, exposed turrets with good click tactile feel and sound. Hashtag reticle all illuminated with battery off between illum settings, side-focus parallax and about 4" of eye relief. Athlon also uses 2032 batteries so always easy to find and cheap. The Argos comes with front & rear flip-ups, the Talos BTR comes with bikini cover.

The glass is excellent and construction is robust. A bit heavy, but made to last. Worth comparing for sure! I am an Athlon affiliate dealer. www.athlonoptics.com for the catalog download. Lifetime Transferable warranty, of course! Warranty Service is now in Olathe KS. Very shooter oriented. If you ever have a problem with an Athlon scope, they will make it right or replace your scope.
How 'bout this? Leupold VX3i 3.5-10x40 for $327. I don't know anything about the outfit selling them.

https://www.universalmania.com/products/leupold-vx-3i-3-5-10x40mm-matte-duplex-reticle
cant find any specs on the Meopta on the length of tube between the bells. looking for a least 6"

Dogger,

Maybe this will help. 6" +\- a hair
[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire