Home
Posted By: CJC73 Thoughts on a Target Scope - 07/24/17
Leupold VX2 6-18x40 with either LR turrets or standard low turrets OR Sightron S-Tac 30mm 4-20x50.

Both are same price (within $10)
Posted By: mathman Re: Thoughts on a Target Scope - 07/24/17
The 1" tube 6-18x40 Leupold doesn't have the best rep for toughness/reliability. Don't know anything about the Sightron.
Posted By: drover Re: Thoughts on a Target Scope - 07/24/17
Originally Posted by CJC73
Leupold VX2 6-18x40 with either LR turrets or standard low turrets OR Sightron S-Tac 30mm 4-20x50.

Both are same price (within $10)

When you ask about target scopes are you talking about just casual paper-punching, steel ringing, or are you talking about serious competitive target shooting? If you are asking about a scope for serious competition then you should specify the type of competition you are planning to compete in, that will give a better idea of a scope recommendation. Although it is not likely that either of these will be idea for serious competitive shooting.

For casual paper-punching, steel ringing, either scope you mention will work, it is just a choice of which you like the best. The Sightron should have a larger adjustment range since it is a 30 mm scope, if adjustment range is important to you check specs before laying out your money.

drover
Posted By: CJC73 Re: Thoughts on a Target Scope - 07/24/17
just casual shooting, no competition. no place around me sells the Sightron so cannot compare side by side.

Leupold - 56 MOA
Sightron - 80 MOA

Both have enough adjustment for distances I'd be shooting at.
just casual shooting, no competition. no place around me sells the Sightron so cannot compare side by side.

Leupold - 56 MOA
Sightron - 80 MOA

Both have enough adjustment for distances I'd be shooting at.

Which are?
Leupolds are consistent, while I have found that Sightrons can ship an occasional dud.

Also, Leupolds retain their value on the used market while most other scopes don't.
was my thinking as well for the Leupold,

do you think the tall turrets are useful on the Leupold? I can get the standard shorter ones for $40 cheaper. both fine duplex reticles.

distances up to 500m, longest range I can get on.
Steel clanging, bullseye on paper, ...?
yes and yes. anything really. just not competition.
Knowing what I can do at 300 with a 6x, I'd go with a SS 10x42MQ for 500 long before I'd use that Leupold. Particularly so if I was going to turret twist much at all. It would be a substantial budget jump to get to a higher magnification variable I'd trust as much for that duty.
I looked at the swfa in either a 12x or 16x. all same price (with the 10x too), and yes cheaper than the two options I listed by about a $100

why doesn't the leupold like turret twisting?
Its internals just weren't designed/built to stand up to a whole lot turret twisting, so they'll prematurely wear out. It's as simple as that. For a number of years (except the last) I did a lot of shooting and dialing and wound up sending a big box of Leupolds back to the shop for a tune up.
Of the three SWFA scopes you mentioned, get the 10x.
gotcha...

so now between the Leupold and Swfa 16x (or 12x).....
The SWFA 10x.
I like a little more mag.... but will think about the 10x. what's the benefit, if any, of a 10x?
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Thoughts on a Target Scope - 07/24/17
I like a little more mag.... but will think about the 10x. what's the benefit, if any, of a 10x?

It'll work much better than the leupold your considering.
ok, I've never owned a fixed power, so please bear with me. how does it work better? or is the Leupold I picked just not a good one? or why a 10x over the 12x or 16x?

just trying to learn here.
The 16x gives a dimmer view. The 12x doesn't do as well for me when getting behind it, sort of like different Leupolds having different "personalities" with the 3.5-10x40 being "friendlier" than the 4.5-14x40.

To be explicit, I'm a 6x owner. The 10x and 12x scopes belong to range friends who looked into SWFA fixed powers on my recommendation. The 16x is owned by another range friend who found SWFA well before I did.
Posted By: bowmanh Re: Thoughts on a Target Scope - 07/24/17
Originally Posted by mathman
Knowing what I can do at 300 with a 6x, I'd go with a SS 10x42MQ for 500 long before I'd use that Leupold. Particularly so if I was going to turret twist much at all. It would be a substantial budget jump to get to a higher magnification variable I'd trust as much for that duty.

Which reticle are you recommending, the mil-quad or the MOA-quad? And what are the reasons to choose one over the other?
Another vote for the SS 10x. Brightness, ER, image, are all better with the 10x than the higher mag versions, and 10x is plenty of magnification for 500+ yards. The Leupold is not designed for reliable and accurate turret adjustments.
Originally Posted by bowmanh

Which reticle are you recommending, the mil-quad or the MOA-quad? And what are the reasons to choose one over the other?

Mil-quad. MRAD is simpler and more intuitive to use than MOA.
I'm using the mil-quad.
Ok...I get what all is being said. I was actually looking into a swfa fixed for a different gun. But maybe I'll go fixed for this gun as well.

Jordan...what you mean by ER?
Eye relief. I'm talking about the ease of use in getting behind the scope and getting a full field of view.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Thoughts on a Target Scope - 07/24/17
The SWFA 10x.

That's a GREAT scope for seeing targets. I love the 6's but the 10 should be great for paper punching.
I have a Sightron SIII 8-32x56 on my 6.5 Creedmoor benchrest rifle. It is a great scope for the money and works well. That said, I think I would have been completely satisfied with an SWFA 10x on this rifle. I have one on my 300 win Mag and, based on what I see (literally), it would have worked equally well. I also have an SWFA 6x on a smaller caliber hunting rifle and it is a great match what I need. I really like these scopes and think their MOA reticle is easy to use and works well for both hunting and at the range. If you like dialing, I don't think you will find a better scope for the money.
Posted By: atse Re: Thoughts on a Target Scope - 07/24/17
I had 2 of the older vari xII scopes with target turrets. The glass was good but they were no reliable to dial. I had one on a 243, and another on a 30 06. After about 250 rounds they would not reliably return to zero. Both scopes went back to leupold 3 times. The erector springs inside were not stout enough for continuous use. The new ones would work OK for a while, and then get weak. I sold them both and went to swfa scopes. We have 2 3x15, and 2. 3 x 9s. They are all rock solid dependable. I will never look back. As mentioned above,whatever your decision, get a 30mm tube.
Posted By: CJC73 Re: Thoughts on a Target Scope - 07/25/17
Well, alright... Great info all. Definitely going to order one. Is their website the only place you can order them?
ok, I've never owned a fixed power, so please bear with me. how does it work better? or is the Leupold I picked just not a good one? or why a 10x over the 12x or 16x?

just trying to learn here.

I've had the SWFA SS 16x. The mechanics were excellent just like all from SWFA, but the eye box was VERY critical and glare with the sun low over the horizon was really bad.

I currently have the 10x and 10x HD and they are worlds ahead of the 16x in optical quality. Of course the mechanics are superb as well. For what you're describing, I highly recommend the SWFA SS 10x.

John
CJC73: I do not have or have any experience with the Sightron 4x20 variable scopes - I do have two Sightron 6x24 variables and have been quite happy with them for Colony Varmint Hunting in spring and summer.
I have a bunch of Leupold 6x18 variables and have been using them hard and year round (including winters here in Montana) for MANY years now - never a problem or an issue even, with these.
I would go with the Leupold 6x18 and if you look around carefully for a used Leupold 6.5x20 variable that would suit you even better, I am sure.
Best of luck to you with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: beretzs Re: Thoughts on a Target Scope - 07/25/17
You can get them off Amazon as well.

I doubt you'll be disappointed for the money spent.
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
CJC73: I do not have or have any experience with the Sightron 4x20 variable scopes - I do have two Sightron 6x24 variables and have been quite happy with them for Colony Varmint Hunting in spring and summer.
I have a bunch of Leupold 6x18 variables and have been using them hard and year round (including winters here in Montana) for MANY years now - never a problem or an issue even, with these.
I would go with the Leupold 6x18 and if you look around carefully for a used Leupold 6.5x20 variable that would suit you even better, I am sure.
Best of luck to you with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Details on hard use?

Leupolds can hold zero fine once set, but to recommend one to a guy that wants to dial is just cruel.

The couple Sightrons I've been around tracked well and had good glass and pretty useable reticles honestly.

The SWFA with it's awesome Mil Quad reticle, spot on tracking, crazy amount of elevation travel, zero stopable turrets and ability to take abuse buries a lot of the competition at a rather remarkable price point.

CJ, you'd have to spend a lot more money to get a scope that is better, for what you describe, than a 10x SWFA.
© 24hourcampfire