Home
It looks like a winner to me? Would like to hear opinions on this scope from anyone who has put one thru the paces. Thanks,
Just bought the VX5HD 3-15X44 today, should be here by the weekend...I'll know soon smile

The reviews are certainly good, tracking is getting raves, glass is top notch, very light in it's class. I got the Firedot Duplex- SF CDS-ZL2 version, so should have plenty of adjustment for long range. I have 2 models of the VX-6 which I'm really impressed with, hopefully the new 5hd is as good or better.
I talked to a tech at Leopold and he said the glass is the same as the VX6HD line only differences were in the bells and whistles and accessories!

I might have to try a VX5 HD soon!
Just bolted one(the 1x-5x version) on my No.1 450/400 NE. Optics looks great. Not sure when I'll get to give it the recoil test. Will report back when I do.

Jeff
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
I talked to a tech at Leopold and he said the glass is the same as the VX6HD line only differences were in the bells and whistles and accessories!

Basically the same as the VX-6HD, other than a 5 multiplier vs 6...you can get all the bells & whistles with recitals limited based on model. Mine is the Firedot, side focus, zero lock, 2 revolution turret.
Originally Posted by akjeff
Just bolted one(the 1x-5x version) on my No.1 450/400 NE. Optics looks great. Not sure when I'll get to give it the recoil test. Will report back when I do.

Jeff

I'll be standing by to here how the recoil tests go. I have a 450/400 NE double rifle that's in need of optics - or should I say, I need optics on it to hopefully maximize its potential.
Originally Posted by Bwana_1
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan

Basically the same as the VX-6HD, other than a 5 multiplier vs 6...you can get all the bells & whistles with recitals limited based on model. Mine is the Firedot, side focus, zero lock, 2 revolution turret.

Makes sense I really don't need the anti can't or self leveler so the VX 5 will work better for me!
I just took delivery of a VX-5HD 3-15x44 with the lit firedot duplex but I am waiting on some rings to mount it on my Tikka .260.
I do have it lightly clamped on a M70 300 WM that I may get the same scope for, just to check it out a bit.
The duplex reticle I'm not too happy with. The profile doesn't seem to match what is represented on either the website illustrations or the one on the end of the box it came in. The real life reticle looks more like a "wide duplex" to me, with the middle thin section much bigger than represented. Also the outer section is fairly thin, and since you don't aim with it, for a huntng scope I wish they were thicker and extended closer to the center.
Of course, you can light it up, but still wish it was accurately depicted.
The other features of the scope make it so I will probably live with this one hiccup. Pretty sweet unit so far.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
The only criticism I have of it is that the short amount of tube between the turrets and objective taper will drastically limit mounting options. I wish the taper had not been so long on the objective. if it will mount well for the individual,I expect it to be a good scope.
That does not look like the firedot duplex in the VX-Rs and the one VX-6 I had. I wonder if Leupy let another incorrect reticle slip through. I once bought a 3-9x50 VX-R that was supposed to be FD/duplex. It was brand new and factory sealed -- but in the box was a scope with the TMR. The serial # on the box matched that of the scope, too.

Had another thought: does your box say "fine duplex" by chance? TIt looks more like the FD fine duplex (or conventional wide duplex) more than the duplex Leupy uses in the VX-R, 5 & 6 series.
Does not match the VX-R firedot I had either. And yes the SN is the same on the scope as it is on the box.
Maybe someone can verify this with what they recieved.

[Linked Image]
Looks the same as the Firedot Duplex VX-5HD I have and one I sold. I suppose they figure with the illuminated dot no need to bring heavy posts close to the center. I too wish it was more like a regular plex.
Wow. Thanks for bringing this to light. I was wanting to try out the 3-15x56, and less than a week ago, Leupold assured me the FD duplex in the VX-5HD was the same that was being used in the VX-R and VX-6 series. Of course, they also told Ackleyfan the glass in the 5HD was the same that is being used in the 6HD, and the guy I spoke to told a different story -- that the 5HD was 'close' but not quite up to the quality of the original VX-6.
I would assume the VX-6HD has same reticle as 5HD.
Originally Posted by BobbyTomek
Wow. Thanks for bringing this to light. I was wanting to try out the 3-15x56, and less than a week ago, Leupold assured me the FD duplex in the VX-5HD was the same that was being used in the VX-R and VX-6 series. Of course, they also told Ackleyfan the glass in the 5HD was the same that is being used in the 6HD, and the guy I spoke to told a different story -- that the 5HD was 'close' but not quite up to the quality of the original VX-6.

Call again,speak to a different rep,and you will likely get another different answer. I've had it happen several times at Leupold. I think they just pull stuff out of their hat.
Have one in route for a 7stw.
Need to find the reticle subtensions charts I guess.
R H Clark - You hit the nail on the head. That's been my experience with them as well. I don't know which is worse: having them speak in vague generalities when they have no clue or just dishing out bogus info to get you off the line.
Just picked up a 3-15x44 with a Boone and Crockett reticle. I've only used VX 3 in 3.5-10 x 40 and 4.5-14x 40 up to this point.

The jump in optic quality is noticeable. The big difference for me was the eye relief. I find it a whole lot easier to get behind than a 4.5-14x40.

Can't wait to get to the field to see how this thing does.
Still would like to hear feedback from those that have them.
Last month I bought a 1-5x24 duplex reticle to put on my unmodified CZ 550 375 H&H and mounted in Warne QD's. Took it to South Africa 2 weeks ago and shot animals from 35-110 yards. Worked perfectly for me. Before I left I shot about 2 boxes and scope zero was still spot on after the plane flight over. I found the non-locking ocular ring to not be a worry. I set it and it never moved the whole trip. While I like the finger adjustable elevation and windage knobs, to me personally, I didn't feel the 'clicks' were sharp enough when adjusting. But again, that's my personal preference. I don't see recoil bothering it as I previously had a 3-9x40 VXII on that rifle and it made two trips across the pond, lots of rounds fired and that scope never skipped a beat.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/12238089#Post12238089

Still no idea how to post photos up here but the link above is of a 3-15 x 44 that I mounted up yesterday. Just holding it and playing with it around the house I was surprised by how much I liked it. For the price, I was extremely pleased with fit and finish.

With Talley one piece rings the scope has just a few millimeters of tube available for adjustment. I was a bit worried until I mounted it up - the eye relief is really good and with my normal cheek position on the stock I had a clear view, with no need of extra adjustment. Looking out into my yard, glass is bright with surprisingly good edge clarity.

No real world data to report on durability or turret tracking.
Originally Posted by wildcat33

Still no idea how to post photos up here but the link above is of a 3-15 x 44 that I mounted up yesterday. Just holding it and playing with it around the house I was surprised by how much I liked it. For the price, I was extremely pleased with fit and finish.

With Talley one piece rings the scope has just a few millimeters of tube available for adjustment. I was a bit worried until I mounted it up - the eye relief is really good and with my normal cheek position on the stock I had a clear view, with no need of extra adjustment. Looking out into my yard, glass is bright with surprisingly good edge clarity.

No real world data to report on durability or turret tracking.

I just mounted the same scope on my 260 Rem, I used the extended Talley's and had no problem with plenty of adjustment room on the tube. Need some range time before a review on turrets can be added, glass wise it looks great.
I think these scopes have been out a few short months if that, hard to believe there has been enough time to evaluate them and get an idea on durability.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
I think these scopes have been out a few short months if that, hard to believe there has been enough time to evaluate them and get an idea on durability.

It takes but a few minutes with most scopes to see that they don't track correctly, adjust correctly, nor return to zero.
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

It takes but a few minutes with most scopes to see that they don't track correctly, adjust correctly, nor return to zero.

Exactly. One sightin session and you know something wrong when it is.

So you had one of these in your possession and tested it ?
Originally Posted by Ringman

Exactly. One sightin session and you know something wrong when it is.

Generally bad scopes go bad almost out of the box unless they are pounded by a big magnum and or dropped. Recoil effects are cumulative so a few minutes won't get it .
I bought 3 of the VX-5HD 3-15x44, with the impact 29 moa reticle. I installed one on a 300 win (long range deer rifle) and the other on a 338 rum (long range elk rifle), and kept one to use later. I found what I thought was a good deal on them. Sighted both in and shot painted rocks at 500 and 800 yds, to verify the trajectory of each. Not alot of shooting yet, but they tracked perfectly during sight in, the etched reticle is dead on, and are as clear as can be. I'm using the etched reticle instead of spinning turrets, trying to keep the mechanical "aspect" to a minimum, for shooting big game. I really like these scopes, so far, and don't see how you can get more scope for the money.

FWIW, I replaced two VX-6 3-18's (first model) with the windplex reticle, with these. I sent the two VX-6's back to Leupold to have the CDS ZL changed out to CDS ZL2, and then mounted them on 22-250 and 308 varmint rifles. I'll spin the turrets on these for rock-chucks, this spring. I'll find out real quick, how repeatable the 6's are, after one session of shooting chucks.

Andy3
© 24hourcampfire