Home
Posted By: Ringman 7X binocullars? - 10/10/17
Does anyone know of a very good 7X binocular? I would like to get a really good one with glass no larger than about 40mm. Either porro or roof prism is fine.
Posted By: tomk Re: 7X binocullars? - 10/10/17
I like and use the Swaro 7x42 Porro. FOV isn't wide like some but fine with me for what I use them for. The non-armored are lighter

7x42 review
Posted By: Brad Re: 7X binocullars? - 10/10/17
Leica 7x35 Trinovid...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/co...ABEgKtV_D_BwE&is=REG&sku=1361094
Posted By: Ringman Re: 7X binocullars? - 10/10/17
Thanks, guys. At those prices I will watch for used.
Posted By: tomk Re: 7X binocullars? - 10/10/17
I thought that was a pretty good price for a Trinovid

Sell a riflescope!
Posted By: tomk Re: 7X binocullars? - 10/14/17
Ringman, did you turn up anything interesting?
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: 7X binocullars? - 10/14/17
Meopta 7x42. Great glass, great eye relief, great field of view....heavy is the downside. I've been using them a couple of years now and love them.

http://www.meoptasportsoptics.com/shop/en/meostar-b1-7x42/yzsmnda6hh4y/ctgBen.html?interestTopic=3
Posted By: Ringman Re: 7X binocullars? - 10/16/17
Originally Posted by tomk
Ringman, did you turn up anything interesting?

Not that I can afford now.
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: 7X binocullars? - 10/17/17
What about the Zen Ray ED2 7x36? To me it is about the perfect size and all 'rounder ... around $400

The Nikon Action Extreme 7x35 porro is a little chunky but you get a great view through them a for abuot $120
Posted By: Ringman Re: 7X binocullars? - 10/17/17
Originally Posted by kenjs1
What about the Zen Ray ED2 7x36? To me it is about the perfect size and all 'rounder ... around $400

The Nikon Action Extreme 7x35 porro is a little chunky but you get a great view through them a for abuot $120

Thanks for the suggestion. I bought some Zen Ray ED2 7x36 and didn't care for them. So I purchased some Nikon Action Extreme 7x35 porro and compared them side by side on my optics chart and deer antlers. The Nikons were noticeably better. I returned the Zen Ray's for a refund and used the Nikons for a couple years. The center of the glass was good enough, but I want something much better. Again proving one does not get what one pays for in optics. I could use that for a signature.
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: 7X binocullars? - 10/17/17
Isn't it really too bad you can't ifnd a great , reasonably price 7x35ish these days. To me that is THE perfect size. Thanks for the tip on the ED2. I bought some 8x30 ZR HD and was very happy with how bright the dielectric coatings can make newer roofs. There is still a noticeable drop off around the edge compared to porros- or at least porros I have used. I am finding the small 8x30 a little hard to steady compared to the larger 8x42's porros I tend to stick with.
Posted By: Brad Re: 7X binocullars? - 10/18/17
Originally Posted by tomk
I thought that was a pretty good price for a Trinovid

Sell a riflescope!

Tom, you do realize that's a brand new Trinovid... Leica released the old standby, but updated, last month in 10x40, 8x40, 7x35.

It's too bad they're not waterproof (just "splashproof" whatever that is).

Still, that's a lot of binocular for the price. I lusted after the 7x35 Trinovid in the early 1980's!
Isn't it really too bad you can't ifnd a great , reasonably price 7x35ish these days. To me that is THE perfect size.

100% agreed... wish Leica made a 7x32 Ultravid.
Posted By: SKane Re: 7X binocullars? - 10/18/17
Originally Posted by Brad
Isn't it really too bad you can't ifnd a great , reasonably price 7x35ish these days. To me that is THE perfect size.

Can you imagine what that would cost the seven or eight of us that want that? laugh
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by Brad

Can you imagine what that would cost the seven or eight of us that want that? laugh

So true!
Posted By: tomk Re: 7X binocullars? - 10/18/17
Not waterproof--no way! I've dunked everything I own at one time or another, under power or on foot.

I imagine that old 7x35 would still look pretty dang good. Have a 8x32 BA that was bought new. It is the older single coated objective one that still gives a good accounting of itself....and its waterproof. Certainly is stout--can be utilized for self-defense. Carol uses it for birding around the house, now.

I like 7's for still-hunting in the UP in what are hills, in MI. The 7x42 Swaro Porro are dissed for a narrow FOV in a 7, but that isn't important to me for what I use them for. A 7x32 (waterproof) would fit the bill around 19oz, say, with the clarity those porros give me....:)
© 24hourcampfire