Home
Posted By: R_H_Clark SWFA SS 6X questions. - 10/30/17
A couple questions about the 6X please.

Can you guys tell me what it sold for last year on Black Friday?

On the Mill Quad reticle, can you tell me the size it is in relation to the 3X9 SS? I had the 3X9 for a while. Just wondering if you can relate on what power the 3X9 would have be, to look like the reticle in the 6X .

I'm asking because a gun novice friend just bought a Savage long range hunter and wants a cheap scope to go on it. Well,he thinks he wants a cheap scope,I should say, and asked me to recommend something. He only gave a budget of $200 but I think he will stretch it a bit. I couldn't think of anything else that wouldn't just be junk at that low of a budget to put on his 26" barreled 6.5 Creedmoor Savage that he just bought.
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: SWFA SS 6X questions. - 10/30/17
Can’t tell you the price, but the reticle subtension in the 6x and 3-9x is the same.
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: SWFA SS 6X questions. - 10/30/17
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Can’t tell you the price, but the reticle subtension in the 6x and 3-9x is the same.

Jordan,I guess I'm asking if the 6X reticle is about the same boldness as the 3X9 if the 3X9 was set on 6X?
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: SWFA SS 6X questions. - 10/30/17

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
MOA quad for good measure

[Linked Image]
RH, my memory is failing, but I think the price was in the $250 - $275 range and included rings and another useful item or two.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: SWFA SS 6X questions. - 10/30/17
quick google

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: SWFA SS 6X questions. - 10/30/17
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

Jordan,I guess I'm asking if the 6X reticle is about the same boldness as the 3X9 if the 3X9 was set on 6X?

Identical.

Identical.

...BUT THE 6X PICTURE ABOVE IS BIGGER!!!!! ...little grin....

The 3-9 is first focal plane. I got weak and recently purchased a couple of variables "just to see". Black Friday I may give in and go 3-9. I'm such a back slider.....
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: SWFA SS 6X questions. - 10/30/17
Thanks everyone.

Would you guys agree that for a stretched budget of $300 the 6X SWFA SS would be about the best reliable choice to put on a Savage long range hunter in 6.5 Creed? the gun has a 26" barrel and apparently weighs about 8 lbs,so I told him not to worry about weight and go for reliability. It was really the only scope in that price range I could think to recommend.
Posted By: beretzs Re: SWFA SS 6X questions. - 10/30/17
Heck yeah... I like them a lot. They end up on a bunch of my rifles.
Posted By: boatboy Re: SWFA SS 6X questions. - 10/30/17
I see them on here often I dont own one is it true that they are the same as the Tasco Titian?

I would like to try the 6X

Hank
Posted By: 4th_point Re: SWFA SS 6X questions. - 10/31/17
Thanks everyone.

Would you guys agree that for a stretched budget of $300 the 6X SWFA SS would be about the best reliable choice to put on a Savage long range hunter in 6.5 Creed?

It was really the only scope in that price range I could think to recommend.

RH,

Not enough info provided, to give an answer. What are the "expectations" for this scope? In other words, what size targets, and what distances?

The 6x and 10x are good choices, but each fills a different niche.

Jason

Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: SWFA SS 6X questions. - 10/31/17
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Thanks everyone.

Would you guys agree that for a stretched budget of $300 the 6X SWFA SS would be about the best reliable choice to put on a Savage long range hunter in 6.5 Creed?

It was really the only scope in that price range I could think to recommend.

RH,

Not enough info provided, to give an answer. What are the "expectations" for this scope? In other words, what size targets, and what distances?

The 6x and 10x are good choices, but each fills a different niche.

Jason

My buddy wants to deer hunt and range shoot. His terrain is more wooded hills though than open fields. He bought his 6.5 Creed, 8 lb Savage long range hunter already. It will be heavy for most of his hunting situations but maybe it will help him shoot well. I'll set him up with some shooting houses. He owns 50 acres that buts up to a remote area of the National Forest. I may get a trip or two for my help if I'm lucky.

In my first conversation with him about this gun he mentioned deer up to 600 yards. I told him ,"let's work on up to 300 first".
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: SWFA SS 6X questions. - 10/31/17
Thanks everyone.

Would you guys agree that for a stretched budget of $300 the 6X SWFA SS would be about the best reliable choice to put on a Savage long range hunter in 6.5 Creed? the gun has a 26" barrel and apparently weighs about 8 lbs,so I told him not to worry about weight and go for reliability. It was really the only scope in that price range I could think to recommend.

For short to medium-range hunting and target shooting (out to 500 yards, or a bit over), that's the ticket!
Posted By: goalie Re: SWFA SS 6X questions. - 10/31/17
The 6x I got last year sits on a Howa 6.5CM and it is a gray combo for deer.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: SWFA SS 6X questions. - 10/31/17
8 pounds ain't all that bad.

Unless he's jumping them up in heavy cover, or hunting very early or late, the SS will do him just fine, and when he plays at the range he'll be a very happy camper. It's certainly a good place to start and he can always get another scope for hunting later.

When I first took mine to the range, I was amazed at how precisely I could hold with only 6x, even at 300 yards, the longest range I have access to. The only bugaboo is that the reticle is a bit fine in dim light. I tested mine a couple weeks ago in the shadows of my yard at sunset. This was a tough test for sure, and I flat couldn't make it out against darkish objects in those shadows. Since I often hunt right up to dead dark over a meadow, that's a problem for me. It may not be an issue for your buddy at all. Explain the trade-off to him, and let him make the choice.
Originally Posted by Pappy348
8 pounds ain't all that bad.

Unless he's jumping them up in heavy cover, or hunting very early or late, the SS will do him just fine, and when he plays at the range he'll be a very happy camper. It's certainly a good place to start and he can always get another scope for hunting later.

When I first took mine to the range, I was amazed at how precisely I could hold with only 6x, even at 300 yards, the longest range I have access to. The only bugaboo is that the reticle is a bit fine in dim light. I tested mine a couple weeks ago in the shadows of my yard at sunset. This was a tough test for sure, and I flat couldn't make it out against darkish objects in those shadows. Since I often hunt right up to dead dark over a meadow, that's a problem for me. It may not be an issue for your buddy at all. Explain the trade-off to him, and let him make the choice.

That was my thinking as well,but with a $300 max budget I don't think he will do any better. He actually told me $200, but I think he will go for the $259 or whatever it sells for on Black Friday. I could think of some very good low light scopes ,perhaps even with Illumination but not for under $300.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: SWFA SS 6X questions. - 10/31/17
Originally Posted by boatboy
I see them on here often I dont own one is it true that they are the same as the Tasco Titian?

I would like to try the 6X

Hank

No, not the same...

PM current contact info and I'll send you a 6X to check out before the Black Friday sale.
Is this the SWFA scope that everyone is talking about? If so, has anyone bought one of the demos they sell? I see them all the time on their sample list page. Is this about the price they sell for on Black Friday? Is the warranty a no questions asked about if you are the original buyer like Leupolds is?

https://samplelist.com/catalog/product/view/id/141071/
Posted By: Formidilosus Re: SWFA SS 6X questions. - 10/31/17
Originally Posted by Ruger77Shooter
Is this the SWFA scope that everyone is talking about? If so, has anyone bought one of the demos they sell? I see them all the time on their sample list page. Is this about the price they sell for on Black Friday? Is the warranty a no questions asked about if you are the original buyer like Leupolds is?

Right scope, wrong model. The one you linked to is a mildot with .25MOA adjustments. You want the model with Mil-Quad reticle and .1mil adjustments.
Posted By: Axtell Re: SWFA SS 6X questions. - 10/31/17
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

Right scope, wrong model. The one you linked to is a mildot with .25MOA adjustments. You want the model with Mil-Quad reticle and .1mil adjustments.

I have to ask why mil over moa?
Originally Posted by Axtell

Why would you want two different standards of measurements between your reticle and your adjustments? That's just complicating something that should be simple.
Originally Posted by Axtell

OK, I get it, scope is way better if mil-mil, moa-moa. Misread that turret and reticle were not of the same scale.
Posted By: stomatador Re: SWFA SS 6X questions. - 10/31/17
They also have an MOA quad reticle that I think looks an awful lot like a tape measure.
[Linked Image]
Say it's dim lighting and one is relying upon the 6X's Mil Quad heavy posts for aiming. Any thoughts on a practical deer killing range or such?

Thanks
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Say it's dim lighting and one is relying upon the 6X's Mil Quad heavy posts for aiming. Any thoughts on a practical deer killing range or such?

Thanks

With about 70-80 people so far, on a 12 inch target- around 150-200 yards.
Posted By: sbhooper Re: SWFA SS 6X questions. - 10/31/17
You may try the search function. This fantastic scope has been beat up on this forum over time. For the price, you cannot find a better scope. I have two 6x and one 10x. For my poor eyes, I like the 10x best, but both 6x have killed plenty of stuff. I have shot deer at last light with both the 6x and 10x and both have performed great. I shot a white-tailed doe last January at last light using a 10x on my 260, at a lasered 430 yards. I have killed several deer at last light with a 6x on a .308, also.

As far as the 6x, it is plenty for most hunting. I killed an elk using a 6x-equipped 7 mag at 350 yards last year. I can keep it on a vitals-size target at 530 yards without issue. Like I stated, for me, the 10x seems the better choice for the same money, but that is your choice. There is no wrong selection here. I just wish that the recticle was a bit more bold for my eyes, but that is my problem and not the scope.

I am waiting for Black Friday to put one on a recently re-barreled Rem 700.
Posted By: Yondering Re: SWFA SS 6X questions. - 10/31/17
The reticle pictures make it look like the MOA-quad reticle is much finer than the Mil-quad, is that the case when looking through these scopes or is it just SWFA's pictures? I like that center dot with open space around it on the MOA quad, wish the mil-quad was the same way.
Originally Posted by Yondering
The reticle pictures make it look like the MOA-quad reticle is much finer than the Mil-quad, is that the case when looking through these scopes or is it just SWFA's pictures? I like that center dot with open space around it on the MOA quad, wish the mil-quad was the same way.

The MOA Quad is not as usable as the MQ. I haven't seen anyone that prefers it.
Posted By: 1234 Re: SWFA SS 6X questions. - 10/31/17
if i were sighting in a scope with mil/mil set up and needed to bring the cross hairs up two inches how many clicks would i go?

Thanks Ed
Posted By: beretzs Re: SWFA SS 6X questions. - 10/31/17
If you are at 100 yards 1 mil equals 3.6 inches. Me, I just lay the reticle on the bull, see where it falls on the MQ and make that adjustment. Usually a 2 shot zero affair with the SS...
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

Thanks

With about 70-80 people so far, on a 12 inch target- around 150-200 yards.

Thanks!

For my 30-06 hunting load a full value wind (90 degrees-10 mph) will produce a 1 moa drift out to ~500 yards. That's why i purchased the 6X moa/moa scope, I use this in conjunction with a range finder.

Also, my target scopes are moa as the adjustments are .25 moa as opposed to .36 on the mil scale. For larger targets the mil/mil is easier to use.
Originally Posted by 1234
if i were sighting in a scope with mil/mil set up and needed to bring the cross hairs up two inches how many clicks would i go?

Thanks Ed

The first part is to stop thinking in "inches". The reticle is marked in .5 mil increments, the turrets adjust in .1mil increments. When you fire a round (in this case point of impact is low) place the reticle on the target and read the correction needed like a tape measure. For your example you would see that you need to come up .6 mil. This works at all ranges- no conversion necessary.
Posted By: AnsonRogers Re: SWFA SS 6X questions. - 10/31/17
I must admit I am curious about these SS scopes but am not a target shooter and don't twist turrets. I do want reliability and repeatability. Which model would you recommend for a "from the house deck" coyote/varmint 223 out to about 250 yards?

My eyes are almost 73 years old. Some body parts seem to be older than that. Right now, I use a Leupold VX2 4-12 on that rifle. Shot a coyote this am at 60 yards but most shots are 200 or 225. Would you go 6x or 10x?
Originally Posted by AnsonRogers
I must admit I am curious about these SS scopes but am not a target shooter and don't twist turrets. I do want reliability and repeatability. Which model would you recommend for a "from the house deck" coyote/varmint 223 out to about 250 yards?

My eyes are almost 73 years old. Some body parts seem to be older than that. Right now, I use a Leupold VX2 4-12 on that rifle. Shot a coyote this am at 60 yards but most shots are 200 or 225. Would you go 6x or 10x?

6x Mil-Quad.
Posted By: AnsonRogers Re: SWFA SS 6X questions. - 11/01/17
I have dual dovetail bases on this Rem 700 now. Any idea what height 30mm dual dovetail rings the SS 6x would require? I'd like to stay as low as possible.
Thanks Formidilosus and others for taking the time to explain things. Still don't have it all figured out, but am learning. Thanks to all for sharing your knowledge with dumb butts like me. I have always sighted in my scopes and let them be. On most of my rifles, I don't have to make any adjustments from year to year. The little rifle that is my go to deer rifles has remained sighted in now for 7 years. Hopefully as some point, I can find a place to shoot longer distances. Not that I will shoot an animal at longer distances, I just think it would be fun to shoot at longer ranges and would have to be a confidence booster whether shooting a deer at 50 yds or 100 yds. So thanks again!
Posted By: 300stw Re: SWFA SS 6X questions. - 11/01/17
Originally Posted by stomatador
They also have an MOA quad reticle that I think looks an awful lot like a tape measure.
[Linked Image]

with A RETICLE LIKE THIS and say 800yds is plenty far to be shooting, why twist a turret, why not just hold for your value you need ,, if your gonna twist turrets why have all this in the windshield, maybe 10 moa would be plenty and then the heavy crosshairs, even in a mil reticle same question, for a hunting scope, not a lets see how far away i can hit steel scope,
Posted By: sbhooper Re: SWFA SS 6X questions. - 11/01/17
Originally Posted by 300stw
[Linked Image]

with A RETICLE LIKE THIS and say 800yds is plenty far to be shooting, why twist a turret, why not just hold for your value you need ,, if your gonna twist turrets why have all this in the windshield, maybe 10 moa would be plenty and then the heavy crosshairs, even in a mil reticle same question, for a hunting scope, not a lets see how far away i can hit steel scope,

I have to twist, as my shooting eye does not pick up the hash marks well. Otherwise, you are correct.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: SWFA SS 6X questions. - 11/01/17
I have dual dovetail bases on this Rem 700 now. Any idea what height 30mm dual dovetail rings the SS 6x would require? I'd like to stay as low as possible.

I think Low but too far away from my gear to verify.
Posted By: stomatador Re: SWFA SS 6X questions. - 11/01/17

Originally Posted by sbhooper
Originally Posted by 300stw
[Linked Image]

I have to twist, as my shooting eye does not pick up the hash marks well. Otherwise, you are correct.

To see the hash marks I have to focus the reticle for my aging eyes. I've tried just using the hash marks but I spin the elevation turret and hold for wind. I haven't found a better way to start someone shooting distance than with this reticle, I find that it gives a lot of information but not so much that the shooter gets confused. Shooting my muzzleloader on a breezy day there can be 10-20 MOA of wind at 300 yards and the reticle helps you empirically understand what the wind is doing to your bullet, it also helps you appreciate a good bullet.
Posted By: AnsonRogers Re: SWFA SS 6X questions. - 11/01/17

6x Mil-Quad.

Why not the 10X in case the targets are smaller than a coyote? Is it just the power or some other factor? Thanks.
Posted By: Yondering Re: SWFA SS 6X questions. - 11/01/17

Thanks for the feedback. Is that because the reticle is too fine, or just because it's in MOA? I prefer mil reticles myself anyway for a common system across all of my rifles so I don't intend to buy the MOA version, just curious about the differences in SS reticles.

The first part is to stop thinking in "inches". The reticle is marked in .5 mil increments, the turrets adjust in .1mil increments. When you fire a round (in this case point of impact is low) place the reticle on the target and read the correction needed like a tape measure. For your example you would see that you need to come up .6 mil. This works at all ranges- no conversion necessary.

+1000 here. It seems that a lot of guys miss that "yes it really is that easy".
No need to complicate things by thinking in inches and using conversions, other than for ranging.
Posted By: Formidilosus Re: SWFA SS 6X questions. - 11/01/17

Why not the 10X in case the targets are smaller than a coyote? Is it just the power or some other factor? Thanks.

The 6x just has a
More forgiving eyebox/FOV and for 250 yards on coyotes I would prefer it. That said, the 10x would be fine as well.

Yondering,

No one wants MOA, but it's also not as visible.
Posted By: Yondering Re: SWFA SS 6X questions. - 11/02/17
Thanks Form, that answers my question.

I'm thinking I'll watch the black friday deals and pick up a 6x and a 10x to try out. MQ in both of course.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: SWFA SS 6X questions. - 11/02/17

My buddy wants to deer hunt and range shoot. His terrain is more wooded hills though than open fields. He bought his 6.5 Creed, 8 lb Savage long range hunter already. It will be heavy for most of his hunting situations but maybe it will help him shoot well. I'll set him up with some shooting houses. He owns 50 acres that buts up to a remote area of the National Forest. I may get a trip or two for my help if I'm lucky.

In my first conversation with him about this gun he mentioned deer up to 600 yards. I told him ,"let's work on up to 300 first".

Clark,

The 6x would cover that, as others have stated.

For inspiration for your pal, my buddy took his 10x MQ off of his RAR Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor and put a 6x on it. With the 6x, he hit our 200 yard pie plate offhand. Then hit a 6" target at 400 yards from prone. Then the 6" target at 500 yards. Rifle and scopes are proven, as I've helped dial in each scope and fix the bedding on that noodle stock. Have seen hundreds of rounds thru that rifle and know it's not a fluke. The 6x is plenty for deer out to 600 yards.

Jason
Posted By: stomatador Re: SWFA SS 6X questions. - 11/02/17

The 6x just has a
More forgiving eyebox/FOV and for 250 yards on coyotes I would prefer it. That said, the 10x would be fine as well.

Yondering,

Hey Form,

Can you elaborate on why no one wants the MOA? I may be purchasing a few more in a few weeks and I'll make a change if there's something better.
Posted By: SCRUBS Re: SWFA SS 6X questions. - 11/03/17

The 6x just has a

Yondering,

Hey Form,

Can you elaborate on why no one wants the MOA? I may be purchasing a few more in a few weeks and I'll make a change if there's something better.

I`m planning on picking a couple up and would be appreciative of the insight as well.
© 24hourcampfire