Home
Eventually I want to get one "long range" gun and put a SWFA scope or save up for a 3-10 SHV Nightforce or similar quality scope. For the rest of my guns I want to sight in and use a BDC reticle like the Burris Ballistic Plex. After having a couple of problems myself with Leupold and seeing how many newer Leupold's are failing I'm not going to consider them anymore which is a shame since they were so good for many years. Going to keep my older M 8 fixed powers since they have held zero well.

So what are some good scopes with a BDC style reticle that will be durable and stay zeroed?
I want to like the Burris Droptine with the G2B Mil-Dot reticle. I can't find any good reviews on them.
Ive had good luck with Burris FF, Weaver Classic V series, and Bushnell Elites. My favorite of the 3 would probably be the weavers, though when it comes to drop reticles, Burris takes the cake. Also like the sigtron HHR reticle.
For set and forget scopes where weight isn’t a concern I’ve been running Meopta scopes for three seasons now and been very happy.
I'll second Meopta scopes
Meopta and cabelas euro work great
Burris E1 Ballistic plex , the FFII is solid and the Weaver is too but if I had to choose one I'll take an E1 ballistic plex 4.5-14

They sell a plain plex E1 too, be careful what you order!
I've had good reliable service with Burris FFII and Meopta scopes, and each offers ballistic plex type reticles.
Iron sights.....
Originally Posted by gerry35

So what are some good scopes with a BDC style reticle that will be durable and stay zeroed?

In my experience, and apparently JBs experience too, you already hit upon the solution...the Burris Ballistic Plex. Never a bobble, even on the Philippine made ones....
The quality of the Philippine FFII's isn't surprising, since they're made on the same machinery they were in the states, which Burris trained the Philippine workers to use.

In fact, when the switch to the Philippines was made, and many American shooters assumed quality would go downhill, I obtained a Philipinne 3-9x for testing. There wasn't any change in optics (the lenses were made in Asia on the "American" scopes), and the fit and finish got better, probably because Philippine wages were enough lower to allow more time to be spent doing the job.
Originally Posted by Mjduct
Iron sights.....

One of my neighbors was hunting using "iron sights" and tripped. His rifle hit a rock and bent the blade sight at the muzzle. Nothing is impervious to Murphy.
Good to know JB...when we talked about this very subject recently I had to agree with you. Ive had 6 Burris with BP, some with thousands of varmint rounds shot under them and some relatively rough handling....nary a bobble. Like the OP on a serious hunting rifle I want it to be like a pocket camera- point and shoot. The less stuff to monkey with, the better. Just put a 3x9 Burris with BP on a .30-06 project I was working on...I have a new "big' gun! laugh

[Linked Image]
How stout are you planning to load the big gun?
Tom,

Killed my biggest bull elk, both in body and antlers, with a .30-06 and 3-9x40 FFII a decade ago. Even used factory loads!
Originally Posted by ingwe
Good to know JB...when we talked about this very subject recently I had to agree with you. Ive had 6 Burris with BP, some with thousands of varmint rounds shot under them and some relatively rough handling....nary a bobble. Like the OP on a serious hunting rifle I want it to be like a pocket camera- point and shoot. The less stuff to monkey with, the better. Just put a 3x9 Burris with BP on a .30-06 project I was working on...I have a new "big' gun! laugh

[Linked Image]

Wow! That's like a stunt shooter's T-Rex rifle!
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Tom,

Killed my biggest bull elk, both in body and antlers, with a .30-06 and 3-9x40 FFII a decade ago. Even used factory loads!

That can't possibly be true.....
Originally Posted by Pappy348

[Linked Image]

I'm prepping and waiting for the 'Great Migration' of Mastodons to return from the north....
Speaking of scopes made in the Philippines, I have several of the Filipino Simmons Whitetail Classics, pretty decent scopes for under $100, in 1.5-5x20 on Malrlin 336s and 3.5-10x40s on several bolt guns in the 243 thru 30-06 class.
"Good sight in and forget scopes."
When you think about it, it's pretty sad that such a subject need even be broached. Shouldn't all decent quality scopes be 'sight in and forget?' Not so these days, unfortunately.
The quality of the Philippine FFII's isn't surprising, since they're made on the same machinery they were in the states, which Burris trained the Philippine workers to use.

In fact, when the switch to the Philippines was made, and many American shooters assumed quality would go downhill, I obtained a Philipinne 3-9x for testing. There wasn't any change in optics (the lenses were made in Asia on the "American" scopes), and the fit and finish got better, probably because Philippine wages were enough lower to allow more time to be spent doing the job.

JB, do you know the difference between the Droptine and FF1 scopes?
Have never even seen a Droptine, so no, I don't!
[quote=Mule Deer]Tom,

I'm assuming this was before the '06 became obsolete?
The Burris FF II is an excellent scope. It's probably my favorite hunting scope for them money under $500. They are durable, stay zeroed, have excellent glass, just great all around scopes. I have several.
Have the Dober dotz (aka the Leupold LR duplex reticle) fallen out of favor?
Seems a simple set and forget would be a fixed 6 Power LR duplex reticle. Easy out to 400.
Or go up in quality and find a S&B 6x42 with P3 mildot reticle. The S&B PMII 10x42 is an almost bombproof setup too.
Leupolds have fallen out of favor.

JB
There is a commonly observed message in this post. I wonder how many understand this?

Maybe only the guys who buy Sako, BRNO, Tikka older Mark V's, Woodleighs, Portugese Model 70's and other non US products? There isn't much made in the US that warrents the stafus afforded it using memory and tradition as the justification.....motor vehicles is another example. How many Surburbans are the preferred safari car in Africa?
Good point. I try pretty hard to support American manufacturers, but many have dropped the quality ball. I have a greater obligation to use my family's resources wisely than to blindly buy shoddy goods just because they're made here. And "made here" can mean a number of things these days, as well.

Auto makers, in particular, are huge multi-national corporations owned by millions of stockholders located all over the globe. The parts are sourced from wherever it's cheapest. To top it off, about 50-75% of whatever portion of the price of "American" cars that ends up paid as union dues goes to the Democrats (that estimate is based on my old union's figure of 75%).

Point being, trying to make a difference with your purchasing power is a can of worms. And "Quality" is in constant state of flux, not neccessarily related to point of origin any more.
I have had really good luck with Weaver Grandslam ( both old and newer versions) and Bushnell Elites. Decent glass, very reliable an a number of guns from 223 thru 300wsm. Also Weaver super slam on my 264 win model 70 extreme weather has been very solid. I think mule deer has had decent luck with a super slam as well. If you watch Natchez they have the Weavers at great prices and they are still being made in Japan at Lite Optical works ......a very solid vendor from what I understand.
Thanks to JB's advice on this subject, I've been using several Burris' this summer/fall. I really like the Burris E1. I've run 5-600 rounds through the pair I have in lightweight 30-06 and 308. They track like they should but wouldn't necessarily say 1 click = exactly 1/4" at 100. The closest they've come to rough treatment is one fell over onto the ground at the range. Didn't move the zero.
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

For some ....
Sounds like I need to give Burris another look. I had several FFII's years ago, and they were dependable scopes. Had one on a .338 and another on a lightweight 375 H&H and they did quite well, if memory serves.
gerry,

Over the years, I've read good reviews about the FFII. Not in terms of light transmission, or resolution, but zero retention. And I've noticed that Ingwe, JB, Koshkin, and others have stated that those are durable scopes.

FFII

I recently put a 3-9x FFII on my 700 SPS in 7mm-08. Lately I've been using SWFA scopes, but wanted a scope for relatively close ranges. It didn't track well, but seems to be holding zero as best as I can shoot. I'm going to blame the noodle stock on the SPS for the elongated group below smile. Actually, I've shot several other groups, and all seem reasonable given the rifle/scope setup.

Peering into the objective with a flashlight, I see the erector tube spring that wraps around the inner diameter of the tube that Burris used to advertise. Not sure if it's marketing hype, or if it actually plays a role in the reputation for holding zero?

Jason

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I've not had a Weaver Grand Slam go out of time on me yet. I run the 4.75x on a couple of guns.

I've not had any problem with a Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9x either.

I've never had a Leupie M8 give out on me either.
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

Making the ocular housing slightly smaller and the main tube slightly longer would help, as would having someone in the sales team that actually uses hunting rifles instead of just fantasizing about being a you-beaut "sniper".

The way things are going I am fully expecting the next lot of scopes to have internet connectivity and channel selection.
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
Seems a simple set and forget would be a fixed 6 Power LR duplex reticle. Easy out to 400.
Or go up in quality and find a S&B 6x42 with P3 mildot reticle. The S&B PMII 10x42 is an almost bombproof setup too.

I still like them, and still have a 6x36 with Dots. Ditto a 2-7x33. KISS.
Originally Posted by Brad

And Ive got the Burris FFIIs and one Leupold with Dober Dotz, they havent run out of favor here and I find them handy and MORE than accurate enough for 99% of hunting application ( which usually means 300 yards and under..)
Originally Posted by Brad

And Ive got the Burris FFIIs and one Leupold with Dober Dotz, they havent run out of favor here and I find them handy and MORE than accurate enough for 99% of hunting application ( which usually means 300 yards and under..)

At 300 yards and under why in God's name would you need dots with any high power rifle?
Originally Posted by jk16

At 300 yards and under why in God's name would you need dots with any high powdered rifle?

Because apparently my rifles aren't powdered high enough...they DO exhibit some trajectory at 200 and 300 yards...
Ingwe, what kind of scopes did they have when you invented the blunderbuss? laugh

FC
Eventually I want to get one "long range" gun and put a SWFA scope or save up for a 3-10 SHV Nightforce or similar quality scope. For the rest of my guns I want to sight in and use a BDC reticle like the Burris Ballistic Plex. After having a couple of problems myself with Leupold and seeing how many newer Leupold's are failing I'm not going to consider them anymore which is a shame since they were so good for many years. Going to keep my older M 8 fixed powers since they have held zero well.

Gerry hunts some tough country in tough weather...

I'm still very happy with my 6x Leupold scopes for general purpose hunting. I have two, and there is one on a 30-06 my son uses. Doggone things never shift zero or have any other problems. One of them has the "long range dots" and I find those useful.

Regards, Guy
I,

Corrected my typing error to help your understanding a bit .

If a cartridge shoots a slug much more than 2,500 FPS, there is absolutely no need for dots out to 300 for most game.

But, it makes sense that you would need help getting to 300.

I was rather sold on my VX2 with CDS, until the groups kept getting larger over time and I couldn't figure out what was happening. Tried different shooting bags and techniques thinking I forgot how to shoot. Thought maybe I changed something in my loads, thought the barrel may have an issue. On a whim (read: when I was at my whit's end..) I put a Burris FFII I had on and the groups got small again, instantly. Sent the VX2 in and they repaired it (said they replaced erector spring and reworked it). But will it happen again? A sub-6lb 338 Fed is rather snappy on recoil. All I can say is trust is a very fickle thing and scope problems can be very insidious. Despite functioning perfectly for many elk trips and local deer hunts and even a trip to S. Africa where it got a great test, and me liking just about every feature of the scope, I don't trust it right now for it's most important job.

My hunting rifle is wearing an SS 6X right now. I just might be buying into the idea of a Nightforce. I want to trust my scope. But is it really more durable, or is that internet legend???
I have been shooting for a lot of decades and the only two scopes I can never remember never having some zero changes are Weaver K-4 (old steel tube) and Leupold M8 6X. Every variable scope I have ever owned has exhibited some zero change, not enough to ruin a hunt but enough that it causes me not have a lot of faith in variables.

My hunting partner and I were in the remote Yukon a few years ago he missed a ridiculously easy shot on a grizzly, fortunately the grizzly ran the other way because I did not have a license for one and really had no interest in shooting one. I saw the impact of his shot, when we got back to camp and checked zero and it was off by more than two feet at 100 yds. The scope would not adjust and hold adjustment, we finished up the hunt using my rifle, since then anytime I am from home on a hunt I take a back-up scope. The scope that failed was a Leupold 3x9 VX-II and had been dead solid reliable right up to its failure, not that what brand it was matters all that much but I am totally convinced that the fewer pieces inside the scope and the lighter it is the less the likelihood of failure.

If I go on another back-country hunt where a failed scope could ruin the hunt I will use a fixed power and have a spare fixed power with rings on it and sighted in for a back-up. Sort a belt and suspenders approach.

drover
Originally Posted by jk16
I,

Corrected my typing error to help your understanding a bit .

If a cartridge shoots a slug much more than 2,500 FPS, there is absolutely no need for dots out to 300 for most game.

But, it makes sense that you would need help getting to 300.

not sure what MV my 308 and 185 bergers run, but 300 is easy... its a 3moa drop basically with my existing zero. 9 inches. Hold top of the hair on a deer and all is well. Or just a hair of light...
Originally Posted by prm
I was rather sold on my VX2 with CDS, until the groups kept getting larger over time and I couldn't figure out what was happening. Tried different shooting bags and techniques thinking I forgot how to shoot. Thought maybe I changed something in my loads, thought the barrel may have an issue. On a whim (read: when I was at my whit's end..) I put a Burris FFII I had on and the groups got small again, instantly. Sent the VX2 in and they repaired it (said they replaced erector spring and reworked it). But will it happen again? A sub-6lb 338 Fed is rather snappy on recoil. All I can say is trust is a very fickle thing and scope problems can be very insidious. Despite functioning perfectly for many elk trips and local deer hunts and even a trip to S. Africa where it got a great test, and me liking just about every feature of the scope, I don't trust it right now for it's most important job.

My hunting rifle is wearing an SS 6X right now. I just might be buying into the idea of a Nightforce. I want to trust my scope. But is it really more durable, or is that internet legend???

You are getting what you pay for with the night force. They aren't perfect ( reticle choices, etc,) but the two things they are in spades is tough as nails and repeatable. I have complete faith in mine after using them a few years. They will absolutely hold a zero.
Originally Posted by jdunham

You are getting what you pay for with the night force. They aren't perfect ( reticle choices, etc,) but the two things they are in spades is tough as nails and repeatable. I have complete faith in mine after using them a few years. They will absolutely hold a zero.

That's good to hear. I'm waiting to hear how the Forceplex reticle stands out in low light. I don't think their other reticles would work for me.
Still think Leupold VX1's for under $150 are good as any and better than most.
Originally Posted by centershot

crazy crazy crazy

Take care, Willie

I would say that's probably a true statement, if you add,for $150.

They will serve most hunters just fine because most won't shoot 20 rounds in 5 years and if they all hit a gallon jug at 50 yards, they are good to go. They will then go forth and slay plenty of 20-80 yard deer and brag about how their scope is just as good as a $2000 Nightforce.
Got about 10 or 12 Leupolds, mostly VX-2s, on rifles from .22 Hornet to .300 H&H, including a Forbes Rifle in .280 AI. No failures yet, and, they don't look like someone soldered a beer can on the ocular end and painted it black.
Originally Posted by Borchardt
Got about 10 or 12 Leupolds, mostly VX-2s, on rifles from .22 Hornet to .300 H&H, including a Forbes Rifle in .280 AI. No failures yet, and, they don't look like someone soldered a beer can on the ocular end and painted it black.

I've got a Vari X II 2-7 and a VXII 4-12 left that have been excellent so far but I'm not buying any new ones.

[Linked Image]

I'm prepping and waiting for the 'Great Migration' of Mastodons to return from the north....

Mastodons came and went. The Poobah was there then, hunting them - and he is here, waiting still - for their return.

(If that does not earn me a turd to smoke, I will file a hurt feelers report.)
That'll do it Carl.....
My family uses a lot of VX-II and VX-2 scopes with the LRD dots, as well as the Redfield Revolution with the Accu-Range circle reticle. They wear the same MOA values for their holdovers. In most rifles that will make 2,800fps or better with a decent spitzer, they are easy to sight in for around a 200yd zero, with the next two aiming points being killing-close at 300 and 400 yards. We have 200/300/400yd gongs in front of the camp and shoot year round. Those Leupold reticles are not bad in a 2-7 or 3-9, as we just go ahead and spin them to max power when hunting an area that offers shots at longer ranges.
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

I would say that's probably a true statement, if you add,for $150.

They will serve most hunters just fine because most won't shoot 20 rounds in 5 years and if they all hit a gallon jug at 50 yards, they are good to go. They will then go forth and slay plenty of 20-80 yard deer and brag about how their scope is just as good as a $2000 Nightforce.

Going to bring this thread up again, I went hunting out of town just after starting the thread and forgot about it. This has been a good thread so far with lot's of positive comments for Burris, Weaver and Meopta among others. Weaver's seem tough to find in this country but Burris is easy to find and there are a few places stocking Meopta.

I ended up buying a Bushnell Elite 2-7x32 so far but haven't shot it yet, seems like a decent scope but we will see. I'm going to unload a couple of Leupold's but will keep a good M 8 6x36 I have that has been solid.

More than likely I will stay with the Burris 3-9x40 but out of curiosity is there any reason to avoid the FF 11 4.5-14x42? It would be going on my heavy barrelled 260 Rem.

In my experience, and apparently JBs experience too, you already hit upon the solution...the Burris Ballistic Plex. Never a bobble, even on the Philippine made ones....

My needs are the same for a new 6.5 Creed hunting rifle. I did a lot of research and solicited a lot of advice, and ended up with the Burris FFII 3-9x40 Ballistic Plex. It was recommended again and again as a clear, reliable, and affordable hunting scope. I like the reticle's 100 or 200 yard sight-in option; it provides a good deal of flexibility in terms of the cartridge/load you use. The scope was $184!! I was open to spending more than that, but the FFII appears to meet all my needs.

[Linked Image]

So 180 Partitions probably. smile
Keeping it simple.

7mm08, S&B 6x42 with P3 mildot reticle.

[Linked Image]
That’s straight sexy!
Keeping it simple.

7mm08, S&B 6x42 with P3 mildot reticle.

[Linked Image]

That photo just cost me $1200.00...been wanting a Schmidt & Bender 6X, with (what else) a German #4 reticle. This one below is pretty simple...Meopta 6X, mounted as low as you can go, also in Talley lightweights.
[Linked Image]
Very nice! You’re much better at pictures than I am!
© 24hourcampfire