Home
Posted By: 7 STW Why no more love for Loopy - 11/19/17
Just curious seems a lot of die hard Leupold guys are moving on. What's the reasoning for this.

Thanks
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Why no more love for Loopy - 11/19/17
There are other brands that are better at the same price point or below.
Probably because a lot of guys are having to use their excellent warranty way to often.......
I just sent a tripod back because the ball head had galled, received a new one and it fell apart on my hunt in MT!
Posted By: Sixpack Re: Why no more love for Loopy - 11/19/17
I guess I'm still a Leupy guy cause I own way more Leupys than anything else but it probably has a lot to do with the inability of the newer Leupolds to track. I'm a set it and forget it guy; I have to hunt to find a place to shoot over 200 yards with most shots 100 or less. However, the last three new Leupold scopes I bought (2 - 3-9x40 VX2 and 1 - 2.5-8x36 VX3i) have random, non repeatable movements while sighting in. If, during sight in, I'm 2" left and 1.5" low and I move 6 clicks up and 8 clicks right, my new POI may be 2" high and 2" right. Usually wind up going 50% of what I need to move reticle to get sighted in and it's still a crap shoot. I actually remember thinking in the 90s "if only the friction adjustment Vari-x II had clicks"!! They at least tracked for me when they were friction adjustments. Honestly, I'm going to look hard at another brand for the next new scope I buy.
QC has gone to sheit. Erectors are sheit. Inconsistent adjustments.

Issues I've personally encountered:

1. Canted reticles straight out the box
2. Not holding zero
3. Tracking problems (POI/POA)
Too many models with far too many variations has QC doing an impossible task.

I'm so sick of all manufacturers selling "features", from cars to electronics to optics.

GODAMMIT!! Sell me quality, not a laundry list of features I'll NEVER use.
Posted By: 340boy Re: Why no more love for Loopy - 11/19/17
Originally Posted by luv2safari

I'm so sick of all manufacturers selling "features", from cars to electronics to optics.

This.
It's a shame to hear of all Leopold's problems. Kind of a bummer.
Posted By: Trystan Re: Why no more love for Loopy - 11/19/17
Originally Posted by 340boy

This.
It's a shame to hear of all Leopold's problems. Kind of a bummer.

I went Fixed 6 SS on my main rifle and I don't feel bummed ☺
My other rifle has a Zeiss Terra 3 3-9X42 and that scope is a tough sumbeach that's seen some hard abuse.

Trystan
Posted By: hanco Re: Why no more love for Loopy - 11/19/17
I have a lot of Leupolds, I hope they hold up.
Still like them, for all the same reasons I always had. Not sure I trust them like before, or anyone else's either for that matter. No way I'd ever go very far on a hunt without a spare rifle, scope, or at least good irons available.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Why no more love for Loopy - 11/19/17
Originally Posted by 7 STW
Just curious seems a lot of die hard Leupold guys are moving on. What's the reasoning for this.

Thanks

if you have older friction adjust leupolds you probably still like them. If you do any shooting and you know how a rifle should shoot, then your smart enough not to buy a new one anymore. Leave them for the nimrods who have yet to learn.
Posted By: Moses Re: Why no more love for Loopy - 11/19/17
So who makes a scope comparable to the VX3 2.5X8/VX2 2X7? In length/weight/price?
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Why no more love for Loopy - 11/19/17
Originally Posted by Moses
So who makes a scope comparable to the VX3 2.5X8/VX2 2X7? In length/weight/price?

not going to find anything that light weight, and maybe why they are so fragile,they are so light. . swfa 3-9 is just one power up...
I've picked up a few new ones this year, by hook or by crook. If any fail, they'll be replaced by something else. Same applies to the SWFA and Tract I bought. Likely candidates for replacement are Trijicon, the budget Nightforce, and maybe fixed S&B or Meopta. Burris FF IIs get a lot of praise as s&f scopes, so that's an option in the bargain category.

I've also considered getting an Aimpoint for short-to-medium range hunting. Might not be great for shooting groups, but I've played around a bit with a 2moa sight on a .270, enough to believe I can put bullets on game out to 150 yards or so, in decent light anyway. They're light, rugged and reliable, and very flexible when it comes to mounting.
Almost all my rifles wear Leupolds However, I've had to send far to many of them back for service. I sent a VX1 2x7 back because the power adjustment ring was very hard to turn. Came back from Leupold and the ring was as stiff as it was when I sent it to them. Had an old Varix 3 power reticle break while mounted on a 22 rimfire. That scope had never been on a rifle larger than a 308 Win. Last straw was a Vx2 3x9x40 that would not track accurately. Leupold replaced the erector assembly but it's still sitting in the box. I'll just keep it for a spare. I got a great deal on a Cabela's branded Meopta 3x9x42. What a pleasure to work with a scope that tracks like it should. I don't see me buying any more Leupolds in the future. Without all the complaints about their lack of tracking you would think they would redesign their erector assemblies and fix the problem.
What I have learned on internet forums is that over half the people complaining about a product don't own or haven't had problems with the product they are complaining about. And I get that. For example, I will never play Kimber Roulette and will mention it in discussions. Then when you take products like Leupold that are sold by the millions and air out the quality on a forum full of enthusiasts, the problems that do exist get magnified. I have 6 Leupolds and 4 Redfield Revolutions. They range in age from 20+ years to 3 months for a $149 VX-1 I just put on a Ruger Ultralight 7MM-08. Save for the tracking that is inconsistent, the scopes do what they do and they do it well. I tend to stay way back on the stock of a hunting rifle, so I appreciate the eye relief. Beyond the eye relief, the eye box is very forgiving. They are the lightest weight of any scopes in their class. The optics are competitive in their price point. A 3-9x40 VX1 will let me see beyond legal shooting light, so I guess the coatings and optics are adequate. Once dialed in, they tend to hold. On top of that they are made in the USA by a US company that helps preserve our right to keep and bear arms.

It could be that the relative value of Leupold scopes diminishes as you move up in price. As I see it, a $150 VX-1 and a $225 VX-2 are really hard to beat at their respective price points. At what I paid for my non i VX-3s, they can't be beat.

Now let me go back and say this. I have no doubts that Leupold has some QC they need to address. I think a number of companies experienced some Obama years growing pains. My beloved Ruger certainly did. Thankfully Ruger and Leupold have industry leading customer service. I think those companies could learn some QC lessons from the Tikkas and SWFAs of the world.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Why no more love for Loopy - 11/19/17
I'm still a Leupold fan, but would prefer to buy a good recent used one over a new one...hearing too many problems with the newer ones....Like others Ive been looking for and trying out some substitutes....Already had a SIG Whiskey puke on me and its going back for warranty work...heard terrible things about the Cheap Minox 3x9 but mine is perking right along so far...

The one Common Denominator- at least for durability- is the Burris FFII....Ive used them extensively and heavily, and never had a bobble...
Posted By: JDK Re: Why no more love for Loopy - 11/19/17
Back in my gun buying days, I rarely looked past Leupold. They have all of the features I want and at a price point I could afford. I was looking at my stuff last night and have M8s, VariX-IIs, VariX-IIIs, and VX-IIs. I shoot maybe 5-6 boxes of shells through each rifle a year and am not a spinner, dropper, thrower, or overly hard on equipment. Each of my (3) VX-IIs failed at some point in time which is completely unacceptable. If I were hard on stuff, I'd say I got what I deserved.

I hope Leupold gets things turned around as I really like their scopes. Until then I will look elsewhere.
I bought a new vx-1 last year to go on a new Ruger Hawkeye .30-06. Over the past year have put about 200 rounds through that combo. Shot some of the smallest groups I've ever shot with any rifle two weeks ago when verifying zero for the upcoming deer season. Zero was still good and the best group of the day was one ragged hole from 100. Killed a buck with it yesterday morning. One shot right where I wanted it. Seems good enough to me.
Have thirteen Leupold's in service 2 have been back for not holding zero, a 2.5-8 needs sent for same and an old vari-xIIc needs sent because the power ring is froze on 6x (has been for 2 years and I've not minded really.
I have SS6x's on three guns and 10x's on 2 rimfires.
Burris FFII's on both muzzle loaders with zero issues in 10 years.

As I find them at good prices used, I've been slowly switching my Leupold's out for Zeiss conquests on set and forget guns. Happy as hell with them so far, 3-3x9's and a 4.5-14.

The old man's Remington 742 in -06 and 700 in 22-250 still wear the Denver Redfield's he put on them in the late 60's early 70's with no issues. Both guns have little bluing left on them. They even have (gasp!) Windage adjustable rears! Guess I need to drop them from a bridge onto concrete just to be sure they're safe to use this year. Hate to have a "failure" on the "big hunt"
I just can't stand it when people call them "loopy's......"

It's not how I roll.
Posted By: prm Re: Why no more love for Loopy - 11/19/17
I would have told you Leupold made great scopes, right to the point where my VX2 3-9 got very sloppy. Groups opened up just enough to have me chasing my tail. I finally put an old FFII on it and it shot well again. Sent the VX2 in and they quickly “replaced the erector spring and reworked the erector system.” CS was excellent. Now, I really like just about everything about that scope, but is that the scope I want on my rifle miles back in the Rockies? Trust is earned, right now that scope doesn’t get it. So, the rifle is now wearing an SS 6X. It’s heavier than I’d prefer, the adjustment knobs are ridiculously large and annoying, reticle is functional but not my ideal, but I don’t have a reason to question where it’s pointing. And that is what really counts.
Lots of reasons, some valid, some just idle speculation. For instance, a guy buys a Leupold and it fails in the first 40 or so rounds. He is then forever down on Leupold rifle scopes. He doesn't realize that any scope can do that. Or there is the guy that thinks he can use a hunting style Leupold like a military style tactical scope. Not going to happen. Then there is the guy that just wants to try something else.
Some of us don't realize that Leupold sells a lot of rifle scopes. Brands like S&B don't. Neither do they sell scopes at various price points. Leupold does. The guy that founded Premier Reticles once remarked that "Leupold has more scopes fall off the truck, than S&B sells in a year."
Then there are those who expect a scope to last forever. They don't understand that recoil breaks them down. Hard knocks will do the same. None will "last forever."
Last of all, there are those who insist that their favorite brands while having excellent warranties, one will never need to use this warranty. Then, one day, two separate shooters comment that they were told if they sent their scopes in, it would be six months before you get it back. Too many scopes waiting to be repaired. So much for the scope that never needs repairs.
We get lots of comments about Leupold"s "crappy adjustments", right ? My question is which Leupold compared to what scope under what conditions ? My next question would be what other qualities does that Leupold have that that scope doesn't have ? For instance, I really appreciate a scope that has lots of eye box. This is not common is most other brands. I also appreciate super hard coatings. But above all, once it's zeroed, it really needs to stay zeroed, even if it takes a hard fall. I don't dial up and down any further than 300 to 400 yds. My FX2, 4X Leupolds don't do this worth a hoot. But my FX3, 6X42's have always worked perfectly. So have my VX2 and VX-R scopes.
Not do I hunt or even shoot with any howling magnums. But I do hunt treacherous country where the ground can let go at any time. Very tough on rifles, scopes and stocks. The Leupolds I've used since the mid 80's have always worked for me. E
Bushnell Elites don't have many negative comments about durability.
I stick with vx -II , vx-iii, vari x , vx2, vx3 , etc.... im basically staying pre vxi and all the offshoots.
Posted By: Huntz Re: Why no more love for Loopy - 11/19/17
I have 3 Leupolds right now.Almost every Leupold I have ever had ,has been wishy washy as far as adjusting elevation and windage.They never move 1/4",maybe 1/2 ' or 1".Once they are zeroed they stay that way it seems for ever.I like the eye relief ,eye box and weight.I have bought two Weaver Grand Slams recently that track super ,have good glass but I would not put them on a magnum rifle because eye relief is short.I have one on a 6.5 X 55 tikka that My Son used for a Buck and Doe Mule Deer last week in Montana at 345 and 225 yards.He likes that scope(and is trying to con the rifle out of me).I also bought a super slam 30MM 1.5 X 4.5 X 240 with a 4" eye relieve and 4A lit reticle that I put on a 336.The glass on that scope is as good as any I have looked through.One of my favorite scopes is the 3 X 9 Conquest.I have four of them.I also have a Minox 2 X 10 X 40 HD5 with a 600 reticle .That is on my Forbes 24B 270.As far as clarity,adjustability,eye relief it is the best scope I own,I also own Buriss Fullfield IIs and Bushnell 4200s .Both are reliable scopes,but to me not great.I. would not be afraid to buy any of the scopes I mentioned.I own several other brands that I will not mention as they are just so so.Huntz
So what brand glass are you guys going to?
Originally Posted by smokepole
I just can't stand it when people call them "loopy's......"

It's not how I roll.

You mean barrel rolls instead of loops?............

Amen........
Posted By: Ringman Re: Why no more love for Loopy - 11/19/17
Originally Posted by passport
So what brand glass are you guys going to?

Now Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50. When I can afford one March 2 1/2-25X50.
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
I stick with vx -II , vx-iii, vari x , vx2, vx3 , etc.... im basically staying pre vxi and all the offshoots.

I have Vari-X's from the 80's and 90's that don't track all that well either.

I have a VX-II 2-7 that tracks diagonally--and I have remounted the scope more than once to check if it was my fault.

But I don't have problems with holding a zero with my Leups.......
Posted By: djs Re: Why no more love for Loopy - 11/19/17
This if a sad situation. Made In America?
Reupold had some solid offerings for a spell,but went Yuppie and Jane Fonda on schit. They've cut corners and the recent wares are just quite simply fhuqking absolute dog schit. Elder generations are vastly superior mechanically and it ain't even close. I've shot/got 100's,BT/DT and have all the fhuqking t-shirts.

The 6x42 and MK4 6x was far and away their best efforts,but I've had some rather good Ultra's and 10x MK4's too(pass the M1's and hold the Fluff). It took Reupold a very long time to align a reticle to it's erector,as it was MOA erectors and MilDots as their BEST efforts,for many moons. I'm fluent in both scales and am at ease in stacking one atop the other,but it is a very convoluted approach,that is everything but intuitive.

In a nutshell,the greatest problems with Optics,is that CLUELESS Fhuqks feel compelled to talk out their asses about things beyond their "means","abilities" and "comprehension". Then that "intel" is coupled with Schit Riggin' and outright STUPIDITY,in order to offer a "critique" and Hurt Feelers when Reality collides with their Fantasy. Joe Average ain't very bright and doesn't shoot nearly enough,to gather anything resembling even a First Fhuqking Clue. Hint.

What matters MOST on a scope,are those things that simply can NOT be "seen" and must be objectively quantified via actual use and only by the astute. Window Lickers will always lick windows and fawn Fluff...while never even beginning to scratch the surface upon a reticle and erector,doing their job(s).

Scratching The Surface A RINK

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Scratching The Surface B RINK

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Of course it's easy for me to say,if only because I've shot/got it all and then some. Reupold has simply lost touch with any/all things approaching Reality and has gone to offering nothing but Frilly Fluff,conjoined with heavily compromised mechanics...none of which is subjective. Hint.

The Do Nothing Gang is always gonna trumpet Stupidity as a Secret Squirrel "advantage",but it'll only come as a "surprise" to them,that not all wares are "equal",nor even fhuqking close. I've failed countless mounting systems and scopes through the years,some of which a guy could see on the horizon,though others were great unforeseen disappointments. Now Window Lickers are striving mightily to make it "fashionable",to "flaunt" Dumbfhuqktitude and extoll "virtues" that certainly do NOT exist,as a means of making a "stand" with quivering lip and prissy pout. Get over it...not all Riggin' is equal,whether you "know" it or not and 99.999% of folks would be wellllllllllll ahead of the game,to simply shut the fhuqk up,take notes and apply same. Pass the Good Stuff and hold the Fluff. Sadly,Reupold has chosen to focus fluff and their wares simply represent that approach,none of which is subjective. Hint.

Pretty fhuqking funny,when The Do Nothing Gang reports on a year's worth of "use" and that just happens to be well shy of a slow morning,in these parts. The less one "does" or "shoots",the "better" everything is and that FACT is rather unsettling to "hard chargers". Hint.

Who wouldn't like the idea of Reupold righting the ship and making something that was worth a fhuqk?!? Trouble is,too many DUMB Fhuqks will buy their Dog Schit and swoon same...so they are not forced to improve wares and can happily schlep schit to them Fhuqking Idiots. A 6x42 wearing an etched MQ reticle and Old World capped friction adjustment/internals,would trump everything they currently offer and would connect alotta dots.

Pass the 6x MQ's and pardon my being afforded the luxuries,of not being forced to guess.

Continue licking windows.

Bless your hearts.

Laughing!......................
I strayed away from Leupold. Bought a few Zeiss, Bushnell Elites and others. Now I’m back to nearly all Leupolds. Some scopes do some things better but for me i really like my Leupolds. Ounce per ounce and dollar per dollar i haven’t found a better overall scope. They continue to get my love.
Posted By: Holston Re: Why no more love for Loopy - 11/19/17
Originally Posted by Big Stick

Who wouldn't like the idea of Reupold righting the ship and making something that was worth a fhuqk?!? Trouble is,too many DUMB Fhuqks will buy their Dog Schit and swoon same...so they are not forced to improve wares and can happily schlep schit to them Fhuqking Idiots.

Pretty much my thoughts on Leupold.

If they would only make their 6x42 and 3.5-10 reliable/repeatable, there’s no way I’d ever use anything else, short of long-range rimfires where huge adjustment is needed.

Instead of getting/making things better, they are going the opposite way. Something I just can’t understand.
Originally Posted by Holston

Who wouldn't like the idea of Reupold righting the ship and making something that was worth a fhuqk?!? Trouble is,too many DUMB Fhuqks will buy their Dog Schit and swoon same...so they are not forced to improve wares and can happily schlep schit to them Fhuqking Idiots.

Pretty much my thoughts on Leupold.

If they would only make their 6x42 and 3.5-10 reliable/repeatable, there’s no way I’d ever use anything else, short of long-range rimfires where huge adjustment is needed.

Instead of getting/making things better, they are going the opposite way. Something I just can’t understand.

Agree on both points. It seems to me that Leopold has become more of a marketing company rather than a manufacturer of quality wares. Not like we haven't seen it before, unfortunately.

Or, to put it another way, Leopold has taken the old adage "you sell the sizzle not the steak" a bit far.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Why no more love for Loopy - 11/19/17
Originally Posted by prm
I would have told you Leupold made great scopes, right to the point where my VX2 3-9 got very sloppy. Groups opened up just enough to have me chasing my tail. I finally put an old FFII on it and it shot well again. Sent the VX2 in and they quickly “replaced the erector spring and reworked the erector system.” CS was excellent. Now, I really like just about everything about that scope, but is that the scope I want on my rifle miles back in the Rockies? Trust is earned, right now that scope doesn’t get it. So, the rifle is now wearing an SS 6X. It’s heavier than I’d prefer, the adjustment knobs are ridiculously large and annoying, reticle is functional but not my ideal, but I don’t have a reason to question where it’s pointing. And that is what really counts.

That’s exactly the reasons I run them.
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

I have Vari-X's from the 80's and 90's that don't track all that well either.

I have a VX-II 2-7 that tracks diagonally--and I have remounted the scope more than once to check if it was my fault.

But I don't have problems with holding a zero with my Leups.......

Good point. I set it and forget. I have no reason here where I hunt to change the scope once it’s zeroed. Looking back on sighting in rifles, a lot of time they are inconsistent getting them to zero ,but once they are there, they are there. I’ve never had one lose zero.
The best CS never makes up for unpredictable reliability and poor QC. I’ve probably bought my last lupy after having a 15 or so. I’ve had bad luck lately. Today, for the money of vx3s, I’d rather go Nikon, Zeiss or Meopta. I still run 4 var-x3s. If I could find a half dozen like new vari-x3s, I’d grab them even though their coatings are a couple decades old. They were simply bright enough and always predictable.
Posted By: GreggH Re: Why no more love for Loopy - 11/19/17
I have used Leupold products for 35 years. When I first started using scopes they
were the industry standard. However, it seems as if they rested on their laurels of
market share instead of innovation. When the European brands were pushing the
envelope for light transmission Leupold was changing Vx this to VX that with thr most
incremental increase in performance. Instead of improving product
they chased every $25 niche. The Zeiss Conquest should have been their wakeup call
but they ignored it. The tactical/turret market was underestimated and other brands have jumped
in with very repeatable adjustments, clear glass at affordable prices. Something Leupold could have easily
have done, especially with their manufacturing capacity. Brand loyalty will not keep the doors of
a company open like it did years ago.
GreggH
Posted By: Shadow Re: Why no more love for Loopy - 11/19/17
Rip Van Leupold when to sleep about 1995, and still hasn't fully woken up yet. Riding on lauels earned in the 1980's, and supported by adoring legions of once-a-year sight in only hunters, an entire market of repeatable Mil adjustments, Mil based reticles, and low cost illumination (Leupy wants to charge you nearly $1K more for an illuminated 3-18x44mm MK6 than for a non-illuminated one) escaped them and their competition just passed them by......

If all that wasn't bad enough, Leupold quality as whole has fallen to Barska levels. Sure if it breaks they fix it for free, and you the shooter are the unpaid QA tester/manager. Most don't even know they a buying junk, because the set it and forget it crowd exercises their scopes so infrequently that they never know their scopes inherent short comings. But hey, they are made in good ole' USA........
Barska? LMAO
Posted By: 7 STW Re: Why no more love for Loopy - 11/19/17
Thanks guys. I think it has been summed up rather nicely.
Glad you put up this thread Mike. I have been wondering about the same question for a while now. I just hope that the VX-1 and FX-3 I bought a while back won't crap-out on me anytime soon.
Posted By: 7 STW Re: Why no more love for Loopy - 11/19/17
Know what you mean. My newest Leupold is a year old VX 2. The rest are older models. The one you got for me wil be 10 yrs this summer. The rest are mid nineties and early 2000 models.

Good point. I set it and forget. I have no reason here where I hunt to change the scope once it’s zeroed. Looking back on sighting in rifles, a lot of time they are inconsistent getting them to zero ,but once they are there, they are there. I’ve never had one lose zero.

I've been lucky as well in not having them lose zero. Sighting in with one is 3 shots, then adjust based on the two closest in the group......ends up taking less rounds to zero than one shot and adjust because that just turns into wack a mole. Once zero'd they've been good but about all I use now are 6x42's and don't dial them. It's the biggest reason I've defaulted to 6x42's with LRD....no power changes, no dialing....zero at 100, match the dots to a range, and live with the associated limitations. Still like the ease of view the 6x42 has but its hamstrung on other things....
Anyone else do what I do now, when I'm sighting any scope, especially the later Loopies? I made a small wood mallet that I rap the scope with a few times after every adjustment. I was getting strange tracking from the Loopies...first shot after adj--no or not much movement...second shoot at or near where it should have moved to after the adjustment. The tapping-in seems to help a lot.

oh...and smokepole.. LOOPY LOOPY LOOPY! smirk
Anyone else do what I do now, when I'm sighting any scope, especially the later Loopies? I made a small wood mallet that I rap the scope with a few times after every adjustment. I was getting strange tracking from the Loopies...first shot after adj--no or not much movement...second shoot at or near where it should have moved to after the adjustment. The tapping-in seems to help a lot.

No,I'll not put up with that. I've seen the scope whackers. I'll send that POS down the road and buy something better.
Posted By: 340boy Re: Why no more love for Loopy - 11/20/17
Loopy! Reupold!
( all together now)

grin
Posted By: kevykb Re: Why no more love for Loopy - 11/20/17
So what is a good scope to buy then these days if Leupold's are unreliable .. without spending a fortune that is. Or should we all go back to shooting iron's?

I use the handle of my screwdriver, maybe I should just get a damn hammer too...........

Poor Smoke...........
Posted By: 340boy Re: Why no more love for Loopy - 11/20/17
Originally Posted by kevykb
So what is a good scope to buy then these days if Leupold's are unreliable .. without spending a fortune that is. Or should we all go back to shooting iron's?

What I have taken away from this thread is that for the price the Burris Fullfield 2 is hard to beat. It also sounds as if the SS scopes offered by SWFA, I think it is, are worth a look. I have had good luck with the Burris in the past but have zero experience with the SWFA scopes.

I am sure there are other brands and models that wii 'fit the bill' also?
Posted By: Shadow Re: Why no more love for Loopy - 11/20/17

It depends on what your looking for in a scope, and what your planning to do with it. If just hunting, for shots under say 300 yds these are some good ones listed below: 2 with German #4's and one with an illuminated reticle. Not cheap, but not uber expensive as far as scope go.

https://www.eurooptic.com/minox-za-5-hd-2-10x40-w-german-4-reticle.aspx

https://www.eurooptic.com/minox-za-5-hd-12-6x24-w-german-4-reticle.aspx

https://www.eurooptic.com/Minox-66606-MinoxZX5i-1-5x24-Plex-Absehen-66606.aspx

Other solid scopes with usable features for longer range shooting are the Super Snipers 6x, 10x, 3-9x42 HD, 5-20x50 HD, Bushnell 3-12x44 LRHS and LRHSi, Burris XTR II 2-10x44mm, Vortex Gen II PST 2-10x32mm, Sightron S-Tac 1-7x24 and 2-10x32 (hunting only). All are under $1500. some are under $500. And there are metric tons of good scopes if you wish to spend more than $1500. greenbacks.
Posted By: jt402 Re: Why no more love for Loopy - 11/20/17
Without going to the safe to count, I think that I have ten Leupolds. 1 3X M8, 2 UL 3-9 EFR, 2 2.5-8Vari X III, & 5 3.5-10 VariX III (4 are AO). Some of the Vari X III's are friction. The only new one is one of the UL 3-9.

I have never had a Leupold failure. Some are cranky to zero. Once set, they stay set.. I don't twist knobs. I no longer shoot a lot. I don't haul my rifles in the pickup bed. I no longer use horses.

Perhaps most of my gear is older and has not seen "hard use" is the reason for my success. I do have some newer offerings from Burris which I like, and my biggest surprise was the optical quality in a Bushnell 3-9 4200 that I bought way below right at close out a while back.

I'm no longer young, but I am open to change. I may drop in ar SWFA and give the touted fixed six a look see. They are only about thirty minutes away. Save shipping if I like, save grief if I don't, plus it gives an old retired fart something to do.

Best,

Jack
Originally Posted by Shadow

It depends on what your looking for in a scope, and what your planning to do with it. If just hunting, for shots under say 300 yds these are some good ones listed below: 2 with German #4's and one with an illuminated reticle. Not cheap, but not uber expensive as far as scope go.

Other solid scopes with usable features for longer range shooting are the Super Snipers 6x, 10x, 3-9x42 HD, 5-20x50 HD, Bushnell 3-12x44 LRHS and LRHSi, Burris XTR II 2-10x44mm, Vortex Gen II PST 2-10x32mm, Sightron S-Tac 1-7x24 and 2-10x32 (hunting only). All are under $1500. some are under $500. And there are metric tons of good scopes if you wish to spend more than $1500. greenbacks.

With today's knowledge, materials, production capabilities, and technology there is no reason why optics manufacturers can't build bright, sharp, clear, durable, and functional gun scopes that retail in the $250-$500 range for the weekend warrior to the hardcore hunter. Wannabe snipers and tacticool shooters can have their tools, also. Make the core work before adding the gadgets, and add to the price the costs of gadgets that work.

If the ship won't float all the missiles and electronics won't be of any advantage.
Posted By: EdM Re: Why no more love for Loopy - 11/20/17
My most recent experience with a Leupold as a VXIII I bought some years ago. I mounted it in Talley QD rings and bases on my M70 416 Remington gearing up for a buffalo hunt in Zimbabwe. I mounted the unused scope about a year ago and commenced to shoot ~600 rounds sighting the rifle in and shooting off sticks and offhand. The sight in was me looking down the bore and scope until things looked right at 50 yards. Dialed in I moved to 100 yards and shot a 3 shot group. I tweaked the scope and landed dead on, as dialed, at 100 yards. I then shot the hell out of the rifle with nary an issue. During my hunt the rifle road in a rack outside behind the cab. Never an issue. Lucky me.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Nice buff. After ~ 600 rounds of 416 "practice", you damn well deserved it!!
Congrats.
Like many others, I've had way too many problems. I've had quite a few Leupolds and I've had about a 70% failure rate. I've had several that I've had to send back more than once. For a long time they were very overpriced for what you got. You could get about 2x the scope for less money. However, I do like the current VX-1 and I think it's a pretty good deal at the $140 you can pick them up on eBay for. I still think the Burris FFII is a better scope though and you can often pick it up even cheaper. I've also had several FFII's and I've only had a problem with one of them. Burris took care of it and upgraded me to an even better scope.

When I was using Leupold's on my hunting rifles I also thought it to be normal to lose zero if you dropped the rifle, knocked it over, etc as it was always the case. That's until I upgrade to a SWFA SS 3-9 on my main hunting rifle that I'm rough on. I've knocked it over when it was leaning against a tree, dropped it, and even had it knocked over on a tile floor. I thought for sure it was done for it after that one. Throughout all of this it's never lost zero. I've never had a FFII lose zero either, but other than a buddy knocking my gun over (that I lent to him) when it was leaning against a truck, I've never been super rough on one.
Originally Posted by Shadow

As you are recommending them, what has been your experience with those scopes? How many of each, round counts, abuse, zero retention, tracking, etc? Specifically the Minox's, the Vortex PST Gen II, and Sightrons?
Form, How have Burris's offerings stood up to high round count/hard use?
Our own Formidilosus had some things to say about reliable scopes in an older thread. I kept it in my files.

His background was a big factor in listening his comments on what scopes hold up:

"I work at a place that fires a lot of ammo. I see over half a million rounds a year on average get fired. 90% of those rounds are tracked. Weapon zeros are checked nearly daily, scopes, mounts, rifles, ammo, etc, are being tested constantly. If a rifle has even a .5 MOA shift in zero we will see it almost immediately. My thoughts are this- scopes are an aiming device. They are a container to hold my reticle so that I can hit targets. I do not care about scratches, dings, or ring marks. I do care that the bullets go where the crosshairs are pointed. My first requirement is that the rifle stays zeroed through use."

Failures or issues with these scopes are extremely rare-

1). Nightforce NXS/ATACR/BEAST

2). Bushnell LRHS, HDMR/DMR, ERS, XRS

3). SWFA SS 6x, 10x, 1-6x, 3-9x, 5-20x

4). S&B fixed 10x PM

5). Hensoldts

6). Older Leupold fixed power Mark 4's/Ultra's

I want to thank Formidilosus for the above information.

Ross
Posted By: cisco1 Re: Why no more love for Loopy - 11/20/17

I have more Leupees than any other scoops, only because I have acquired a lot of used rifles. Probably about 25-30 Leupees. I never could get to jazzed about them and have sent a number back for various issues....some times Leupee was able to fix the problem....sometimes not.

I like German scopes .

Bought a new Leupy , from LGS that had the turrets reversed. I spotted this and pointed it out to GS and bought it cheap. Leupee WAS able to fix it. But how the hell did it get past QC.

I like Italian Motorcycles, clothes , wimmen, firearms. But, I most like German optics.

Big S H I T, the poet , I believe was trying to say something, Laffin, Peening on his shoes and pursuing his hobby of public masturbation.

Perhaps, this was part of it.

But when Leupee became mass merchandisers QC went away.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Why no more love for Loopy - 11/20/17
I don't necessarily go out and buy Leupolds over the last few years....

but I am definitely not getting rid of any of the ones I have either...

Leupolds for me, are like a Toyota or Honda...

They always work when I need them to...

and if one does go south....I sure get it fixed or replaced real quick
when I send it up to Beaverton...
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Form, How have Burris's offerings stood up to high round count/hard use?

Their XTR/XTR II's have been about like the Steiner's that share the same building.... Other options are better.

The FF II's, while I don't see too many of them anymore, did generally hold zero.

AZshooter,

Hope it helps.
Burris has never made anything worth a fhuqk,as optical devices go. Some of their rings however are stellar...meaning only 'Horn's. Only fhuqking Burris would offer a Posi-Lock scope,wearing turrets,the STUPID Fhuqks. Though in fairness,Posi-Lock sucked by itself,if only because zero shifted,if when it was incorporated. Hint.

Very MUCH enjoyed the notion,that tapping on Optics,made them "better". LAUGHING!

Sadly or hilariously(same thing),600 Safe Queen pokes ain't much of a "test" on a rifle choked Improved Cylinder,destined to be pointed at something the size of a VW,as "testament" to it's "mechanics". Hint.

I'll feign my GREAT "surprise",that there always remains a facxtion of Window Licker fascinated with their Homoerotic Fantasies,that they are powerless in the refrain of not typing out those desires. Congratulations?!?

Conquests are fhuqking junk,in that they do not track or hold zero...just like Minox. Hint.

Never been tough to cypher who shoots and who don't.

Hint.......................
90% of my optics are Swarovski. Rather have any problems at all with good glass instead of poor glass.
Posted By: 175rltw Re: Why no more love for Loopy - 11/20/17

Dang man. If you can whack the turrets with a wooden mallet between adjustments / shots then leupold is sill building a far tougher scope than I’ve been giving them credit for. That’s the one thing the swfa FF crowd haven’t done yet to test one. Hitting Itje turret with a mallet between adjustments is a pretty damn hardcore optics test.
Originally Posted by 175rltw

Dang man. If you can whack the turrets with a wooden mallet between adjustments / shots then leupold is sill building a far tougher scope than I’ve been giving them credit for. That’s the one thing the swfa FF crowd haven’t done yet to test one. Hitting Itje turret with a mallet between adjustments is a pretty damn hardcore optics test.

It's just a 6 pound mallet. I used an 8-pounder, but it bent my Chinese rings. The 6-pounder seems just right. All it takes is a few whacks, unless it's used on a Swaro. One tap on those and I find out just how good their CS is.

I used to use a screwdriver handle, back in the day, but the turrets chipped too many handles. eek
Originally Posted by Azshooter
Our own Formidilosus had some things to say about reliable scopes in an older thread. I kept it in my files.

Failures or issues with these scopes are extremely rare-

1). Nightforce NXS/ATACR/BEAST

2). Bushnell LRHS, HDMR/DMR, ERS, XRS

3). SWFA SS 6x, 10x, 1-6x, 3-9x, 5-20x

4). S&B fixed 10x PM

5). Hensoldts

6). Older Leupold fixed power Mark 4's/Ultra's

I want to thank Formidilosus for the above information.

Ross

Not seeing the SWFA 3-15x on this list.
That is the power range I would be interested in.

It's just a 6 pound mallet. I used an 8-pounder, but it bent my Chinese rings. The 6-pounder seems just right. All it takes is a few whacks, unless it's used on a Swaro. One tap on those and I find out just how good their CS is.

I used to use a screwdriver handle, back in the day, but the turrets chipped too many handles. eek

The fix is to drop it from shoulder height every time an adjustment is made. There might be an instructional vid out there somewhere....grin...
Originally Posted by WYcoyote

Not seeing the SWFA 3-15x on this list.
That is the power range I would be interested in.

I do not like to make solid statements until I have seen 10-12 different scopes of a certain model with 10k plus rounds through each. I just haven't seen enough of the 3-15x with lots of rounds to state that they are of the same quality as the ones listed.

Having said that, the 3-15x FFP's that I have seen and used all worked correctly.
Posted By: fredIII Re: Why no more love for Loopy - 11/21/17
My [bleep] Vx 6 is on its fourth kill in four days from 930 to 310 yard head shots.

How’s the love life sugar tits. Lol must such with only having a strong grip for love.
Posted By: GregW Re: Why no more love for Loopy - 11/21/17
I had 2 VX6's....

Both were no good out of the box...
Originally Posted by GregW
I had 2 VX6's....

What does "no good" mean? That's pretty general... confused
Every time I read "Loopy" or "Winny" or "Remmy" I wonder if we have Bronies on here.
You know it brotatoe chip
I will give you $100 apiece for them no good #^&! Leupolds.
Posted By: 7 STW Re: Why no more love for Loopy - 11/21/17
Oh yeah I'm losing lots of sleep over the loopy comment...
Posted By: 340boy Re: Why no more love for Loopy - 11/22/17
Originally Posted by 7 STW
Oh yeah I'm losing lots of sleep over the loopy comment...

Sure. You are too busy out killing bull moose with 'em to worry much, methinks. grin
Posted By: 7 STW Re: Why no more love for Loopy - 11/22/17
Guilty as charged
I'm a Leupold fan, having converted/updated the glass on most of my rifles over the last few years. I have avoided the I & II series, trialed a VXII and simply didn't like it. Got a couple of the Century models, way back when, that have turned out to be excellent workhorses. Same with couple of Euros. Real big fan of Leupold fixed power glass and sometimes wish that is all I owned. They get the job done and I might have saved a bunch of dough.
Answering the question, because millennials are now buying guns and scopes. They respect nothing. They think Vortex sounds cooler or something like that.
Posted By: GregW Re: Why no more love for Loopy - 11/22/17
Originally Posted by GregW
I had 2 VX6's....

What does "no good" mean? That's pretty general... confused

RTZ, simply dialing out to moderate ranges under 800 yards would not track, basic Leupold erector issues....
Swaro has never made a scope worth a fhuqk and given their "record"...likely never will.

I've not seen more than (3) NIB Reupolds fail,on any one single day. Hint. The VX6's are simply steaming piles of fhuqking schit,swooned by Clueless Fhuqks,who frolic in Fluff. Nothing more and nothing less,with the reason why they do NOT hang,is due the fact that they can NOT hang. The less one "knows" or "does",the "better" they are. Hint.

Round count and actual USE,reliably do thangs that sorts wheat from chaff. That constant is the bane of Window Lickers,but at least Imagination and Pretend are free,so they can "afford" to "contribute". Congratulations?!?

There is nothing redeeming in the 3-15x and it's an easy pass,for a MQ Fixed Fhuqker and it's vastly superior mannerisms and mechanics. Hint.

3rd from top,with a few others to extrapolate in R&D,side by each in like conditions. Re-hint.

[Linked Image]

Many think they've "dropped" sumptin',but of course haven't even scratched the fhuqking surface. Hint.

Hint

I guess my question for the experts is this. When did the quality start to drop off at Leupold. When the VX III ended and the V3 series started is about the time I began hearing about QA troubles.
Posted By: fredIII Re: Why no more love for Loopy - 11/23/17
Guess I got lucky my vx6 has worked well so far. (In full disclosure it’s a replacement for a MK-4 6.5-20x50 that was a pos). My phone conversation with Leupold was send that [bleep]’er to the moon but not back to me they replaced it with the vx6 and it’s working well so far.

496 yards.
[Linked Image]

And the friends I happily hand my rifle to.
[Linked Image]
930 yards.

First buck 312 yard head shot because she could.
[Linked Image]

I will keep using my vx6 tell it goes tits up then hit up optics Planet for another Nightforce.

Posted By: fredIII Re: Why no more love for Loopy - 11/23/17
Swaro has never made a scope worth a fhuqk and given their "record"...likely never will.

I've not seen more than (3) NIB Reupolds fail,on any one single day. Hint. The VX6's are simply steaming piles of fhuqking schit,swooned by Clueless Fhuqks,who frolic in Fluff. Nothing more and nothing less,with the reason why they do NOT hang,is due the fact that they can NOT hang. The less one "knows" or "does",the "better" they are. Hint.

Round count and actual USE,reliably do thangs that sorts wheat from chaff. That constant is the bane of Window Lickers,but at least Imagination and Pretend are free,so they can "afford" to "contribute". Congratulations?!?

There is nothing redeeming in the 3-15x and it's an easy pass,for a MQ Fixed Fhuqker and it's vastly superior mannerisms and mechanics. Hint.

3rd from top,with a few others to extrapolate in R&D,side by each in like conditions. Re-hint.

[Linked Image]

Many think they've "dropped" sumptin',but of course haven't even scratched the fhuqking surface. Hint.

Hint

Those red caps have to be the best thing you ever thought up. Lol and that’s not a compliment. Poor retarded sugar tits 😘.

HAPPY TURKEY DAY TO EVERYONE!!
Originally Posted by Itchy_Finger
Answering the question, because millennials are now buying guns and scopes. They respect nothing. They think Vortex sounds cooler or something like that.

Answering this question: I'm a millenial and you couldn't give me a Vortex product; everything I have had from them, including their higher end "tactical" scopes has either (1) broken or (2) failed to function as advertised or (3) been obviously derivative of other, less expensive, Chinese OEM manufacturers.

I like Leupolds--when they work. Unfortunately, their new-production scopes in the past decade have not had good quality control, have failed to incorporate improved design concepts available in other scopes, and generally have not functioned as advertised.

I still have several Leupolds, but they are all older fixed power scopes or handgun scopes. For my rifles that see heavy use, and where I dial for elevation, I now use Nightforce scopes. My time at the range is too valuable to waste chasing zero with an unreliable scope. Maybe when I'm old and retired my time will be worth less and I'll be willing to put up with Leupold's again. Maybe.
big stick: I have been on my share of Hunts to Alaskas rainy SE area and my Leupolds have all served me perfectly well on those extremely difficult condition Hunts!
That aside why on earth would you take several of your Rifles outside in the rain, lay them on wet rocks and have the actions opened so rain water and moisture can get into the breach and the nooks and crannies of the bolts, actions etc?
Sheesh.
To each their own I guess but from someone that does something as bizarre as depicted in your photo I think "I" will consider advice from other than you!
Again, SHEESH.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Dear VarmintGuy,

Wet rocks is where I draw the line as well. Did you see, in one of the photos, where there was an agglomeration of dirt on the stub left behind where I assume he broke off the spin-knob of his scope? Really this is silliness and thank you for taking a stand against it.
No, he didn't break off the "spin-knob." He took the windage turret off and covered it with a vinyl cap. Taking a stand? Are you two organizing some sort of protest? Who cares what anybody else does with their stuff?
Posted By: 175rltw Re: Why no more love for Loopy - 11/24/17
Hmmmm. I wonder I wonder. what would Brian Boitano do?
Have yet to see a Vortex track or hold zero.

I've never been to Alaska or anywhere exotic like you "lucky" gals,but get out now and again here,in Kansas. We get a little bit of rain and I honestly didn't know that it would "hurt" a rifle to cycle and shoot it,when raining. Given that sage advice,I will certainly refrain from doing same in the future and save forays only for Dusty Days,so as to preclude a mechanical malady and that especially in a dreaded nook or cranny. THANKS for that tip!

Unfortunately,while taking a Fieldcraft out of the safe,it slipped and toppled over,knocking the windage turret all the way off and forever lost in the shag carpeting. It really has been a deep concern of mine and I am rather upset at the chain of events,that has rendered the platform inoperable. Nothing escapes the keen eye of this rather amazing forum and it's experienced members. Again,thank you.

You STUPID Fhuqks are wellllllllllll shy of anything resembling even a First Fhuqking Clue! Oh my...now a rain drop is a fhuqking Horror Story and grounds to shut down a Cast & Blast?!? Let me letcha' in on a little "secret",that'll only come as a "surprise" to you. Tape precludes bore obstructions and with every press of the trigger,a bore is dried. S/S has no equal and once the brush is wet,all Riggin' is 100% drenched and every time. Stupidity isn't a fhuqking "stance",it is a plight and them differences are more than stark. Hint. It is funnier than fhuqk,that STUPIDITY is wielded as a Secret Squirrel "advantage",by a herd of Window Licking Clueless Fhuqks doing their best,with what incredibly little they have to "work" with. Congratulations?!?

Admittedly,I VERY much enjoyed "spin-knob" too...almost as much as "breach". Laughing!

Spin Knob Factory.

[Linked Image]

One of 60+ windage Spin Knobs I've "knocked off".

[Linked Image]

No Fret installed.

[Linked Image]

Spin Knob Dust Testing.

[Linked Image]

Spin Knobs breed at night...when the lights go off. Laughing!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Pardon my being afforded the luxuries,of not being forced to guess.

Haybale & Crockett "pursuits",are a "critique" of nothing other than loooooooowwwwwwwwwww "standards",for Flat Landing Fence Hoppers and their HILARIOUS Stupidity.

Hint.

Just saying.

Laughing!....................
Originally Posted by Stickfight
Dear VarmintGuy,

Wet rocks is where I draw the line as well. Did you see, in one of the photos, where there was an agglomeration of dirt on the stub left behind where I assume he broke off the spin-knob of his scope? Really this is silliness and thank you for taking a stand against it.

It's those darn spin knobs that cause all the problems........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4disIUzq8lM&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJigzhSx6bM&feature=youtu.be
Posted By: 175rltw Re: Why no more love for Loopy - 11/24/17
I’ve pretty much decided I’m getting a scope with turnnits now too!!

So - when I order the turnnits do I get them calibrated was o the retcicle or the bullet?
Posted By: 3584ELK Re: Why no more love for Loopy - 11/24/17
Originally Posted by Itchy_Finger

A matter of fact. Good call, Itchy.

I've never been to Alaska or anywhere exotic like you "lucky" gals,but get out now and again here,in Kansas. We get a little bit of rain and I honestly didn't know that it would "hurt" a rifle to cycle and shoot it,when raining. Given that sage advice,I will certainly refrain from doing same in the future and save forays only for Dusty Days,so as to preclude a mechanical malady and that especially in a dreaded nook or cranny. THANKS for that tip!

Unfortunately,while taking a Fieldcraft out of the safe,it slipped and toppled over,knocking the windage turret all the way off and forever lost in the shag carpeting. It really has been a deep concern of mine and I am rather upset at the chain of events,that has rendered the platform inoperable. Nothing escapes the keen eye of this rather amazing forum and it's experienced members. Again,thank you.

You STUPID Fhuqks are wellllllllllll shy of anything resembling even a First Fhuqking Clue! Oh my...now a rain drop is a fhuqking Horror Story and grounds to shut down a Cast & Blast?!? Let me letcha' in on a little "secret",that'll only come as a "surprise" to you. Tape precludes bore obstructions and with every press of the trigger,a bore is dried. S/S has no equal and once the brush is wet,all Riggin' is 100% drenched and every time. Stupidity isn't a fhuqking "stance",it is a plight and them differences are more than stark. Hint. It is funnier than fhuqk,that STUPIDITY is wielded as a Secret Squirrel "advantage",by a herd of Window Licking Clueless Fhuqks doing their best,with what incredibly little they have to "work" with. Congratulations?!?

Admittedly,I VERY much enjoyed "spin-knob" too...almost as much as "breach". Laughing!

Vintage stuff, Stick. You're on a roll.
Posted By: ihookem Re: Why no more love for Loopy - 12/09/17
I have a 1X4 Leopold shotgun scope with the heavy crosshairs and it is very hard to zero . It does not seem to move after that . I decided to buy a few Redfields , now made by Leopold . One of them shoots to the right when I dial it down, No, I dont have it mounted wrong . I thought it was me for a while cause I think I have a form of dyslexia . I have it sighted in fine now but it was a strange experience sighting that one in. I had to adjust the dials to make it move to the bullet hole while looking through the scope. . This is how I sighted in the gun and found the scope to be made wrong. I rarely use the gun but should send it back. Has anyone found the new Redifelds lacking in quality?
I’ve pretty much decided I’m getting a scope with turnnits now too!!

So - when I order the turnnits do I get them calibrated was o the retcicle or the bullet?

I usually like my turnips boiled.
Posted By: 14Homer Re: Why no more love for Loopy - 12/17/17
I want to make a comment about companies that will replace or fix their products forever. In many ways it doesn't matter that much. A long time ago a friend of mine and I went goat hunting. He had a cheap scope but it came with a "lifetime" guarantee. We went goat hunting. Had to pay for a float plane, went camping for several days and really worked out pretty hard. Then he got a chance at a really big goat. His scope was fogged up. At that time the warranty wasn't worth a whole lot. But my rifle with a Leopold on it was worth a lot. I should have charged him to use my rifle.
And he should charge you for allowing you to call him your friend.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Why no more love for Loopy - 12/17/17
I am buying a whiskey 3 scope from sig cause the name sounds cool.
© 24hourcampfire