Home
Posted By: Higginez Best 8x32 bino - 11/21/17
I'm starting to look around for a pair of lightweight 8x32 binoculars to replace my Geovids. Looking pretty heavy at the Leica Ultravid. Really would like to go with something with good resale value.

Are there any other contenders I should be eyeballing?
Posted By: ingwe Re: Best 8x32 bino - 11/21/17
Swarovski....
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Best 8x32 bino - 11/21/17
Originally Posted by Higbean

I might suggest Doug at Cameraland as a good contender.
Posted By: spence1875 Re: Best 8x32 bino - 11/21/17
I think if you want the best it will be Leica or Swaro right now in 8x32. I like the Leica's as they are noticeably more compact than almost all others without giving up anything in performance.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Best 8x32 bino - 11/21/17
Originally Posted by Higbean
I'm starting to look around for a pair of lightweight 8x32 binoculars to replace my Geovids. Looking pretty heavy at the Leica Ultravid. Really would like to go with something with good resale value.

Ultravid 8x and 10x32 are probably the best glass/size/weight combo out there. Their CS/Warranty service is hit and miss--in other words it sucks.

Zeiss 32mmm's are very good too, their CS/Warranty service is a bit better than Leica.

To my eyes the Swaro and Ziess are different but one is not necessarily better than the other. Swaro's CS/Warranty service is as good as we can find. Swaro's repair facility in RI is considered among the best according to what I have been told by others in the industry. Plus Swaro has an update program that is very much a part of their philosophy/business model.

When it comes to optics--especially optics--warranty is important. Very important.

Swarovski 8x32's by a mile..............
Posted By: BKinSD Re: Best 8x32 bino - 11/21/17
I have Zeiss 8x32 Victory and wouldn't trade them for anything. Your eyes might differ, no substitute for putting your hands on them and eyes through them.
Posted By: gr8fuldoug Re: Best 8x32 bino - 11/21/17
IMO it would be Leica or Swarovski with the Zeiss Victory FL's a close behind. Our pleasure to work with you on this and discuss the options.
The other one you may wish to take a peek at would be the Kowa Genesis 33 8x33mm Prominar XD GN33-8
Posted By: cumminscowboy Re: Best 8x32 bino - 11/21/17
Swaro companion cl, Zeiss seems to have a cheap feel these days
Posted By: Farmboy1 Re: Best 8x32 bino - 11/21/17
Swarovski 8x32 EL SV. They are the best in my opinion, very bright, with great ergos. and handling.

Wide 8* field of view, and with a flat field view, low distortion all the way to the edges.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Best 8x32 bino - 11/21/17
If you're concerned about resale, I wouldn't touch a Leica with a 10 ft pole. I won't buy a used one because of the bush league warranty and customer service issues Leica USA is famous for. Swaro stands head and shoulders above all of the other alpha makers in this regard. I loved that EL SV 8x32 with the exception of how it handles glare (not good).
Posted By: Talus_in_Arizona Re: Best 8x32 bino - 11/23/17
Originally Posted by ingwe
Swarovski....

Originally Posted by ingwe
Swarovski....

This
Posted By: rnovi Re: Best 8x32 bino - 11/23/17
Do you wear glasses?

Leica's and Swaro's have shorter eye relief than the Zeiss (by a solid 2mm). Before I had Lasik the Zeiss were the glasses to beat. Now? I'd go Leica - I much prefer their contrasty coatings.
Posted By: Brad Re: Best 8x32 bino - 11/23/17
I've had Swaro, Zeiss and Leica. I prefer Leica.
Posted By: Terryk Re: Best 8x32 bino - 11/23/17
I have the Leica ultra HD in 32mm, and they are pretty amazing.
Posted By: SKane Re: Best 8x32 bino - 11/23/17
If you can "get behind" the Leica, they're simply outstanding. I had some trouble with an immediate full-view so they went down the road in favor of the the Swarovski EL.
The open hinge of the EL made for a little better handling too. I had the Zeiss at one time as well and I'd rate them third but if they can be had for a favorable price, you won't be left wanting.

If you rate resale a high priority, Swarovski is the simple (and only) answer.
Posted By: elkaddict Re: Best 8x32 bino - 11/23/17
Can’t compare to comparable Leica or Swarovski but the Zeiss HD really really impressed me for $799.
Posted By: kududude Re: Best 8x32 bino - 11/24/17

I bought a pair of Leica 8X32 Ultravids from Doug and love them.

Also own a pair of Swarovskin 7X30 SLC binos that I won in an industry hunt many years ago. They have proved to be flawless in the hunting field and I've used them to complete satisfaction for a long, long time.

kd

Posted By: trf215 Re: Best 8x32 bino - 11/24/17
Likely not the best but very close - Cabelas Euro Instinct HD. On sale right now for $675 plus free shipping. High end Meopta HD quality at a great price.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Best 8x32 bino - 11/25/17
Originally Posted by kududude

I bought a pair of Leica 8X32 Ultravids from Doug and love them.

Also own a pair of Swarovskin 7X30 SLC binos that I won in an industry hunt many years ago. They have proved to be flawless in the hunting field and I've used them to complete satisfaction for a long, long time.

kd

kd,

Shine a flashlight down the objective lens and see if there are "crystals" growing on the barrel walls. The Gen 2 Swaro 30mm SLC's had that problem after a time.

Swaro will repair and update them for free.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Best 8x32 bino - 11/25/17
Of the high end binos I have only owned Swarovski and am completely happy with my 10x32 ELs.
Posted By: Windfall Re: Best 8x32 bino - 11/25/17
Get thee to the library. Outdoor Life reviewed 22 different binoculars in their October 2016 issue and the winner in the 8x class was the Leica Ultravid HD-Plus 8x32. You won't like the price, but you should be real happy with the binos. I bought a set of Leicas years ago and the fov is amazingly wide for a 32 mm binocular and even wider than some 42's that I was comparing at the time.
Posted By: Tesoro Re: Best 8x32 bino - 11/26/17
If budget or logic is a concern....look at a set of swaro wb habict slc 8x30. I keep a pair in my truck and in my boat.. they are good to great, you can find em real clean for 350-450 bucks. most of the time i am looking thru fog rain smoke haze or mirage and i am not sure if having latest gen glass makes that much diff unless you are doing some serious 2000 yd type spotting. but i see great at with mine... If I really need to check it out in more detail then i look thru my swaro x5 scope at 18x.
i really like the front focus knob on these ones as i am always wearing a cap to reduce glare and eye strain. also i wear costa glass shades most of the time and can easily peel the eye cups back and get full view. they are also nice and light. you can also send them in to swaro and they will refurb for free or for a couple hundred swap lenses into the new body style but for me the front focus is tits.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Best 8x32 bino - 11/26/17
I agree with you Tesoro about the SLC 8x30' wb's. They are still great glass.
Posted By: vuwildcat81 Re: Best 8x32 bino - 11/29/17
KD,
Have you ever sent those 7x30 SLC Swaros into SWarovski for cleaning ot any work? I have a pair myself and was wondering what the experience would be like.
Posted By: azrancher Re: Best 8x32 bino - 12/11/17
My hunting pard had crystals in his Swarovski 8x30’s. Sent them in and they called and said were sorry we don’t make the gray color so do you want green or black. Free replacements for 20 year old glasses makes them amortize out pretty cheap.
Posted By: Waders Re: Best 8x32 bino - 12/11/17
Leica 8x32 BA

I have looked through the newer and improved-er models and still like the old BA coating best. And the best part is, most people have never heard of these (much less looked through a pair) so the demand is low. You can track down a pair for $600. You'll never look through them and regret buying them. If you want a lighter glass, Zeiss classics 8x30 is the only way to fly.

But, somebody with a "stronger" opinion than me will convince you to go in a different direction. Whatever you do, I hope it works out for you.
Posted By: gr8fuldoug Re: Best 8x32 bino - 12/11/17
You should read this review from SnipersHide I think you'll find it interesting.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Best 8x32 bino - 12/11/17
https://www.allbinos.com/allbinos_ranking-binoculars_ranking-8x32.html
Posted By: devnull Re: Best 8x32 bino - 12/11/17
I just purchased a pair of the Cabelas Euro 8x32 HDs. I also have a pair of the Zeiss Victory FLs in 10x42. From my initial impressions, the Cabelas are every bit as clear and possibly brighter than the Zeiss Victory binos.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Best 8x32 bino - 12/11/17
Originally Posted by azrancher
My hunting pard had crystals in his Swarovski 8x30’s. Sent them in and they called and said were sorry we don’t make the gray color so do you want green or black. Free replacements for 20 year old glasses makes them amortize out pretty cheap.

My gen 2 7x30 SLC's started growing the Dreaded Crystals about 6-7 years ago. Called Swaro and they said "We know all about it send them in". I got back a fully upgraded gen 4 (Neu) bino. My only expense was shipping to them.

Swaro is one of the few companies that has their own full repair facility in the US, and every time I've talked to them the CS were knowledgeable about their products and friendly. Last I knew any major work for Leica or Zeiss the optics have to make the trip across the pond to the motherland............
Posted By: Windfall Re: Best 8x32 bino - 12/11/17
Another vote for the Leica 8x32 BA's. I bought a pair years ago on the recommendation of a hunter who went to Africa on safari pretty often. For some reason that particular bino has an extremely wide fov and as wide as some 42's but with out the larger size. We bird a lot when we go south and those BA's focus at an even closer distance than the similar BN's, but there is nothing wrong with those either. I also carry my pocket 10x25 Swarovski binos when I bird, but does it ever take a lot of hand eye practice to get what you want to see in the center of that much narrower fov. The difference in the fov is really that significant. I've used them both watching our Packer people and with those 10x25's I see the back field. With the Leica 8x32 BA's I see the entire team.
© 24hourcampfire