Home
I am looking for a scope for my new Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in .30-06.

Being a lighter weight rifle I don't want a huge scope and would like to stick to a fix power, like 4x.

I am not real knowledgable on scopes which is why I am looking for recommendations from the folks that know more than I do.

Most of my current scopes are Leupold and Redfield. I do have a pre-64 M70 with a Weaver K4 that I really like.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. I will also need a good set of rings and I need help with those also.
My pick for that rifle would be a Leupold 2.5X8X36. Light, trim scope and as far as rings, Talley Light Weights would be my choice,
Originally Posted by jorgeI
My pick for that rifle would be a Leupold 2.5X8X36. Light, trim scope and as far as rings, Talley Light Weights would be my choice,

Or a Leupold VX2 in 2x7 with the lightweight Talleys...
Thanks guys, just a quick question. Why the preference for variable versus fixed?
Originally Posted by ingwe

Either of these suggestions is great right down to the Talley Lightweights. I'd lean toward the 2.5-8x36 personally.
I've always had variables. There are many here with LOTS of experience and trigger time that prefer fixed power, especially 6X and many others are knob turners. Since most of my hunting ranges from up close to maybe 400 yards max, the variables work for me. In the case of the scope I recommended for example, I always have it dialed up between 6 &8 X, and after the shot when I'm walking up to the downed animal, as a force of habit I dial it down to 2X. A nice 6X36 or 6X42 would be good choices as well.

Or 6x36 LRD in Talley Lwt's.

I have all three of the above, and have had all three on M70 Fwt's. All work, but mounting is a bit more critical with the 2.5-8 and 2-7 because of a shorter tube length. If you go with either those you'll need to spin the front base around pointing backwards. X-Low's work with any of these three.
I've just about decided my Featherweight in 6.5x55 is getting a Weaver Grand Slam 2-8x36. I recently bought the same scope for a 308 and am quite impressed with it. Reports of reliability have been excellent, which is very important to me. Made in Japan and they can be had for a more than fair price. Hopefully I can use the Tally X-Lows.
Zeiss HD5 2-10x42 in Talley Lightweights.

Great glass, great durability and an excellent selection of reticles. I like the Rapid-Z reticles and would go with the 600 version on that rifle.
I'd get a Leupold FX-II 4x. Put it in Weaver-type rings on steel Warne bases.

Okie John
Mine wears a Leupold 3-9 Ultralight with LR Duplex in Talley Ex-lows.
[Linked Image]
Hey Blacktailer, can you provide the measurement for mounting length distance, outside to outside of the rings?
Weaver K4
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
Hey Blacktailer, can you provide the measurement for mounting length distance, outside to outside of the rings?

5 5/16" Note: I had to do a little Dremel sculpting on the front mount in order to clear the objective bell.
I went with a 1.5-5x20 on mine...

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Originally Posted by SockPuppet

5 5/16" Note: I had to do a little Dremel sculpting on the front mount in order to clear the objective bell.

Thanks!
Bushnell Elite 3-9x40 on one of mine. Woudn't change anything.

[Linked Image]
I have two M70 FWT rifles (308 & 6.5x55). They both now have 2-7 scopes on them: one is the Leupold VX2 and the other is a Bushnell Elite 3200. I used to have an old (1979) Leupold M8 3X on the 308 but that now sits on a Win M94 AE 30-30. I think the 32mm objective scopes looks perfect on these rifles. One has Leupold rings and mounts, the other Redfield.
If a modern Fwt I'd do a weaver classic 2.5-7 in talley lightweights, though you might need an extended front for proper eye relief. The weaver has help up and tracts better than my previous 2 VX2 2-7's. If you didnt want to go the extended ring route, than a Bushnell elite 2-7.

If we are talking a pre-64 fwt, than its tough to beat a Leupold M-8 4x in Leupold dual dovetails.
A good quality 3-9 or a fixed six would be my pick.
I have a fixed Leupold FX-II 6x36mm on my M70 feather weight 30-06. Plenty of mounting length.
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
I have a fixed Leupold FX-II 6x36mm on my M70 feather weight 30-06. Plenty of mounting length.

I had that same scope on two of my Featherweights, mounted with Talley Lightweights. Very pleased with that combo.
I have a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 in Talley lows on my 7x57 Featherweight. A Leupold VX-3 in 2.5-8x36 or 3.5-10x40 would work nicely.
Good advice on Leupold 6x36.
Why the preference for variable versus fixed?

In my experience a fixed 4X is too much scope more times than not, but I don't want to be limited to a fixed 2X. I like to be able to go down to 2X for most of my hunting. If needed I can always go up to more magnification. I've actually become quite fond of 1-4X20 scopes, but I don't think it would look right on your rifle.

There was a time when variables were less reliable, I suppose technically they still are, but the difference is insignificant anymore. If I had a really hard kicking DG rifle and were hunting something that would bite back the added reliability of a fixed power scope would be comforting.
Originally Posted by WagonMaster
I am looking for a scope for my new Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in .30-06.

Being a lighter weight rifle I don't want a huge scope and would like to stick to a fix power, like 4x.

I am not real knowledgable on scopes which is why I am looking for recommendations from the folks that know more than I do.

Most of my current scopes are Leupold and Redfield. I do have a pre-64 M70 with a Weaver K4 that I really like.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. I will also need a good set of rings and I need help with those also.

I've got a new Weaver K4 Classic on my M70 FW(257 Roberts), can't think of a better optic for what you described.
Having a batch of the scopes mentioned...

4 and 6 power Leupolds and Weaver K Series...

2 x 7 Leupold...

The one I don't have is a 2.5 x 8 Leupold...

and also owning several Featherweights...

I'd lean toward the recommendations of Jorge and Ingwe...for the most versatility in the field..

hunting here can be open country or close up in heavy brush or cover...

the 2 x 7 Leupold has spent most of its life, down on 2 power...

and that has taken a couple of bucks at 250 yds plus.. never realized I was handicapped..
large field of view...

rings and bases are Leupold... one piece base...plain vanilla stuff...
Originally Posted by 5shot
I went with a 1.5-5x20 on mine...

[Linked Image]

This^^^. VXlll is on my pre 64 M70 FWT 243.
I don't know about the Weaver Classic K4 but the K6 is a pain in the butt to mount. Nice scope for the money if you can get it set up right.

My scopes are variables with different magnification ranges. Depending where I hunt they generally stay on the same power. 3x in the woods and 8x in the pasture. The higher magnification scope gets turned down when I approach the downed deer. I could easily get away with a fixed 6x scope hunting the pastures but I feel a 4x would be too much for me in the woods. That's just me though.

The featherweight I owned years ago wore a 2-7 vari-x ii. I have a Weaver Grand Slam 2-8x36 that is great. The EBX reticle sucks in low light though.

Dan
Swaro Z3
Originally Posted by Brad

Or 6x36 LRD in Talley Lwt's.

I have all three of the above, and have had all three on M70 Fwt's. All work, but mounting is a bit more critical with the 2.5-8 and 2-7 because of a shorter tube length. If you go with either those you'll need to spin the front base around pointing backwards. X-Low's work with any of these three.

I have two FWs. One, my main hunting rifle in 3o-o6, scoped with a VX3 2.5-8x36. My other one has a FXII 6x36 LRD on it. Given the option to start over, they'd both have the fixed 6 mounted. I like the 2.5-8 just fine, but the 6x36 LRD is just so easy to use and pretty ideal for my hunting.

Don't agree with the Talley LW option tho... πŸ˜œπŸ˜‰
Originally Posted by Wrongside

Yeah, but your a Lefty!

Merry Christmas... smile

Yeah, but your a Lefty!

Merry Christmas... smile

Haha! Yeah, I am... that must be it. πŸ˜‰

Merry Christmas to you and yours, Brad!

^^^This^^^

That same scope resides on my Featherweight in 7x57
I have pre-64 FWT's in 243 and 270, they both wear gloss 2-7 Leupolds in Weaver bases and rings, perfect as far as I'm concerned.

Also had a classic walnut stainless 243 that wore a 3-9 Leupold compact in Talley lightweights, nice setup, should not have sold that one.
I like Leupold dual dovetails. I think you could fit up to a 40mm scope in Leupold in low DD Rings.

You will not need an extension base for 3.5-10x40 and probably not for 3-9x40. You will probably need extension base for 2.5-8x36 or 2-7x33. I don’t know pre-64s real well, though. Mine are all 1990s Classic actions. I would be happy to send you pictures if you pm me your email address. I haven’t figured out how to post images on this site.

Good luck.
Originally Posted by Dantheman
I don't know about the Weaver Classic K4 but the K6 is a pain in the butt to mount. Nice scope for the money if you can get it set up right.

My scopes are variables with different magnification ranges. Depending where I hunt they generally stay on the same power. 3x in the woods and 8x in the pasture. The higher magnification scope gets turned down when I approach the downed deer. I could easily get away with a fixed 6x scope hunting the pastures but I feel a 4x would be too much for me in the woods. That's just me though.

The featherweight I owned years ago wore a 2-7 vari-x ii. I have a Weaver Grand Slam 2-8x36 that is great. The EBX reticle sucks in low light though.

Dan

The K4 was easy in plain old Weaver Top Mounts, my 257 is a long action, same set up should work on the OP's rifle.
Have a Swaro Z3 3-9x36 on mine that I'm very happy with. In a fixed power 4X I would probably go Zeiss Conquest if you can find one.
Anybody know which gloss scope matches the FWT best (mine is an XTR)?

I got a Leupold 6x42, and it looks okay but not quite the same.
Originally Posted by magshooter1

Either of these suggestions is great right down to the Talley Lightweights. I'd lean toward the 2.5-8x36 personally.

Its second nature for me to lower the mag while moblie which is more useful for rapid target aquisition and shooting if game gets up and going through brush or timber at close range or for more light at dusk and dawn.
My old Winchester mdl 70 featherweight in . 280 caliber has always worn a Leupold var-x III(3x10x50mm) with HEAVY duplex. Our shooting hours for deer is 1hr before sunrise to 1 hr after sunset. That combo has caused a lot of deer to get a ride in the Chevy.
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by magshooter1

Its second nature for me to lower the mag while moblie which is more useful for rapid target aquisition and shooting if game gets up and going through brush or timber at close range or for more light at dusk and dawn.

That's "second nature" for anyone that has hunted a bit and knows when shots are going to be close or far, depending on the density of the area you are hunting. You should be doing it with out even looking at the mag ring.
Originally Posted by Ramsdude47
Anybody know which gloss scope matches the FWT best (mine is an XTR)?

I got a Leupold 6x42, and it looks okay but not quite the same.

You restarted this 5 year old thread. Did you even read though it before asking the question?? You also don't say if it is a short action or long action. That is pertinent info...

7mm08 short action model 70 fwt w/Leupold 2.5-8x36 in Leupold DD's.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
XTR FWT 22-250^^^

As far as "matching", this gloss Burris FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex reticle matches pretty well. Maybe even better than the Leupy 2.5-8x36 in the other pic I posted. The Leupy is pretty shinny. I also prefer the power range of the 3-9x40 over the 2.5-8, and the 3-9x40 is more forgiving to mount. Especially on the long action model 70, where you will have no forward to aft adjustment on the 2.5-8x36, due to its very short tube mounting length (5.1").

The Leupold 2.5X8X36 would be my pick as well.
Since I had iron sights put on my rifles, I prefer Weaver bases with Weaver Quad Lock Rings. On my longaction M70's I use an extended front base.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Zeiss Conquest on my JOC Tribute rifle. Works pretty well.

My main choice for Winchester Featherweight is the old M8 Leupold 4X with Lyman 3 moa dot in the center with thin crosshairs. It is sitting on my BACO 30/06 FWT Model 70.
Originally Posted by kaboku68

My main choice for Winchester Featherweight is the old M8 Leupold 4X with Lyman 3 moa dot in the center with thin crosshairs. It is sitting on my BACO 30/06 FWT Model 70.

Nice 2008. They really wanted to impress that first year..
Or you could go with the Hubble. This got pressed into LR duty.
Yep that Burris sure looks better.
I’m guessing the FFii is roughly equal to the M8, would a signature be a better scope if I could find one?
Originally Posted by Ramsdude47
Yep that Burris sure looks better.
I’m guessing the FFii is roughly equal to the M8, would a signature be a better scope if I could find one?

You'd be surprised what the FFII is equal to. Don't be discouraged by its price tag. You are also not likely going to find a gloss FFII with ballistic plex reticle. Just giving it as an option and showing pics of what may or may not match the finish on the XTR FWT rifle you have. You are also not going to find a signature in a gloss finish. The funny thing is the Signature scope is a pretty "tactical" looking rifle scope. If you are worried about a simple thing like the finish not matching, you probably won't like the tactical look either, so there's that..
I like the VX3 1.5-5x20mm, the FX-II 4x32mm and FX-II 6x36mm. Otherwise an Aimpoint Micro or H30L on Weaver or picatinny bases for a fixed sight replacement.
Originally Posted by philthygeezer
I like the VX3 1.5-5x20mm, the FX-II 4x32mm and FX-II 6x36mm. Otherwise an Aimpoint Micro or H30L on Weaver or picatinny bases for a fixed sight replacement.

"Aim point" really? It is your rifle and it is a free country..
I hope y'all got this figured out.
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
I hope y'all got this figured out.

^^^^^^
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

"Aim point" really? It is your rifle and it is a free country..

What's the beef? An Aimpoint Micro is the perfect three ounce solution on a Featherweight if you want the handling characteristics of a lever action without all the drawbacks.

It's a perfect woods setup. One-handed carry at the receiver ring and the port is exposed for easier top-loading. Better than an aperture sight and you don't have to solder/tap anything on the barrel. You keep both eyes open and the rifle mounts perfectly, with no adjustment for eye relief and no lining up irons (which can be a bit fuzzy for those of us who need reading glasses).

And it's still lighter than a Marlin. In fact, I sold my 30-30 and my 45-70 because this is a better way of doing things for my needs. Weaver or Picatinny bases with Warne QD rings mean I can swap between the Aimpoint and the scope any time, in seconds.

The H30L loses some of the handiness but it's still only eight ounces and the optics are a little better.

Don't knock it 'til you try it.
Z3

Yeah, but your a Lefty!

Merry Christmas... smile

I'm just embarrassed I misspelled "you're"... laugh

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
That's ok, Brad, your forgiven. smile
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Or you could go with the Hubble. This got pressed into LR duty.

What Cal, pls?

Yeah, but your a Lefty!

Merry Christmas... smile

I'm just embarrassed I misspelled "you're"... laugh

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

My freaking spell check misspells stuff all the time. The crap sometimes even changes my correct spelling and adds or subtracts an ending s or e on a word.

Mine has the VX3 1.5 - 5x also. Nice light rifle.
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Mine has the VX3 1.5 - 5x also. Nice light rifle.

I like that scope on many different rifles. Well suited to the Featherweight too. Power range is nice, it's clear and bright with good eye relief, and mounts low. The 2.5x20mm is good too, and smaller/lighter/more rugged, but doesn't seem quite as bright.

Also a big fan on the 4x33mm and 6x36mm. Sadly they are discontinued as people seem to want Hubbles for hunting.

I can see a good adjustable parallax 4-16x40mm or bigger Sightron, Bushnell, or some-such for target usage, but I wouldn't want to hike around all day with it. Biggest I would go is maybe the VX3 3.5x10x40mm.
I have stainless featherweights in 243 and 270, and a classic compact in 7mm-08. The 243 and 270 both have Leupold 3-9x40 and the 7mm-08 has a 2.5-8x36.

On a long action, I would recommend the 3-9x40 or a 3.5-10x40 with dual dovetail mounts. The smaller variables are harder to mount on a long action.

I haven’t bought a scope in a while, and I was a Leupold guy, maybe not so much anymore. Size-wise, though, those are my recommendations. I really like the VX-2 3-9x40 with the 270. I set my scopes for one load and then leave them - no dialing.
Holy smokes - I didn’t realize this was a restart of a five year old thread. I even found my own five year old comment. Glad that I am consistent in my BS. 😁
I'll take my beating............... It's a 5 year old thread..........

The couple of times I really needed scope weight to matter, I went with the (gasp !!!) Weaver V10. This was before Weavers went totally to crap. It was (IMO) the best 11 ounce scope bang for my buck. Put one on a .375 Weatherby A-Bolt Stainless Stalker and one on a MK V Ultra Lightweight .25-Oh.
Originally Posted by Yoder409

The couple of times I really needed scope weight to matter, I went with the (gasp !!!) Weaver V10. This was before Weavers went totally to crap. It was (IMO) the best 11 ounce scope bang for my buck. Put one on a .375 Weatherby A-Bolt Stainless Stalker and one on a MK V Ultra Lightweight .25-Oh.

Yoder, is the V10 a 2.5-10? Not a bad power range and I don't mind the older Weavers. I have a V16 on one of my rifles and like it. The glass is not exceptional, but it tracks alright. Pretty much a "set and forget" anyway. At 12 oz's it would be right at home on a fwt rifle. The Burris FFII's I like so much weigh 13 oz's and work very well for the application.
Mine wears a VX3 HD 2.5-8
Originally Posted by Slope77
Holy smokes - I didn’t realize this was a restart of a five year old thread. I even found my own five year old comment. Glad that I am consistent in my BS. 😁

Whoops. Me neither! Though I reserve the right to change my opinion... laugh

Yoder, is the V10 a 2.5-10? Not a bad power range and I don't mind the older Weavers. I have a V16 on one of my rifles and like it. The glass is not exceptional, but it tracks alright. Pretty much a "set and forget" anyway. At 12 oz's it would be right at home on a fwt rifle. The Burris FFII's I like so much weigh 13 oz's and work very well for the application.

It's supposed to be (Weaver advertised it as such) an honest 2-10x38

It IS a "set it and forget it" scope. First one I had on my .375 Weatherby pitched its guts in short order. Sent it back. Weaver guy said it was a manufacturing defect and would have done the same thing on a .223 So they sent me a brand new one. I mounted it up, sighted it and haven't touched it.......... in 16 or 17 years. It fits the optical needs of a close range bear rifle that has the reach to snipe an elk or whatever a loooong ways out there. I chose the V10 to absolutely minimize the forces of inertia during recoil......which is brisk. Another's been on a MK V Ultra Lightweight (to keep overall weight to a minimum) for 19-20 years. And I also have one on a boatpaddle Ruger .300 Win Mag. where it's been for 25+ years. Both of those were set and forgotten.

It's supposed to be (Weaver advertised it as such) an honest 2-10x38

It IS a "set it and forget it" scope. First one I had on my .375 Weatherby pitched its guts in short order. Sent it back. Weaver guy said it was a manufacturing defect and would have done the same thing on a .223 So they sent me a brand new one. I mounted it up, sighted it and haven't touched it.......... in 16 or 17 years. It fits the optical needs of a close range bear rifle that has the reach to snipe an elk or whatever a loooong ways out there. I chose the V10 to absolutely minimize the forces of inertia during recoil......which is brisk. Another's been on a MK V Ultra Lightweight (to keep overall weight to a minimum) for 19-20 years. And I also have one on a boatpaddle Ruger .300 Win Mag. where it's been for 25+ years. Both of those were set and forgotten.

Thanks Yoder. 2-10 is a very versatile power range and the scope is nice and lightweight. I'm also assuming it has a gloss finish like my V16 4-16x42. That scope is also pretty lightweight for its size. I can see where that V10 would be a great choice, if a guy can still find them in good condition. The guy that restarted this thread was asking what scope finish matched the finish of his XTR FWT. I believe your scope would also be a good match.
I'm also assuming it has a gloss finish like my V16 4-16x42.

Negative

Two of mine are stainless finish and one is matte black. I do believe, though, they were also offered in gloss. eBay and GunBroker are your huckleberries.
© 24hourcampfire